Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    A couple of things:

1. We have a team of 4 so we need 6 finished characters (a total of 12 portraits). My suggestion is we each do two characters (three if you can), and from that we can cut down to 6, depending on quality.
    Let me make it clear. I was confused about this too. No, you do not have to make 6 characters. The brief says 6 PORTRAITS which means at least 3 characters. You're welcome to do more characters. I thought I had to save you guys some work.

Good luck with the chow all!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Lostfayth- theres a lot of confusion over that, i was about to make a comment on it myself - but CKlamb has made a point about cutting it down which i think is very important. The more characters we do in prep, the more scope we have for our final portraits.

CKlamb- Im glad that you're enthusiastic and honest about your organisational editorialness. Strong leadership is important, and im glad you came on board with directives in mind. I'm a little too unsure of my authority to set others deadlines, though I'll probably rear my incessant nitpicking face once i've observed the team in action a little better and found my feet, so you wont be alone in any hardline approaches. I suspect we may have arguments at some point, but the good kind that gets things done :p .

The competetiveness is a fantastic thing to hear. It is so on. 8)

On another note- Do people have any objections to having regular team meetings on skype/msn/IRC ? I find that that IM interaction can get things flowing faster than VB posts, its a faster way to share sketches, brainstorm and it can help keep a team together, without having to F5 CA all the time.

(Though obviously updates would still be posted to the thread)

Thanks
    Mood Board:

Name:  cklamb_moodboard.jpg
Views: 2895
Size:  283.0 KB

Thanks
    Here is some of the stuff thats been inspiring me with this:

Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees

Agree on the IM thing, whats best for everyone? IRC?

CKLamb - im with you all the way, I want to take this as seriously as possible as I see this as a fantastic opportunity to improve so the more paintovers/advice etc. the better.

Last edited by nimzicki; August 2nd, 2009 at 03:59 PM.
    My Sketchbook
    Team CHOW 2 ALH, Blackcherry, Nimzicki, CKLamb

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nimzicki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    MSN is best for grabbing my attention personally because im never off the thing... though its kinda crappy for groups. We used Skype with Tweetlord, and one of the innovative things about it is that the chat room never ends, even if you turn your PC off or lose connection you'll get updates of what was said in the group since you were last on - and can go back and browse the group history over X amount of days without having to manually save them.

I was working with a team on the west coast of america, so it was a very handy way to beat the time lag and re-read things said to me at 3am.

No board yet from me, just finished off my CHOW168 ( got sucked into the background SO bad ), getting on to it once i've sorted out some blog stuff. Nice moodboards so far!

Thanks
    Skype sounds like the way forward then, since 3 of us are in the UK but CK is in the US, having it log the chats is a great feature, whats your username?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Skype- AngelosLH
    MSN- morganlegerbil @ hotmail.com

Be sure to say who you are if you add me on skype, i've had pervert spambots attack me on it in the past, theyre a pain in the ass. HELLO I AM NEW, HOW ARE YOU? ...DO YOU LIKE THE SEX?

Thanks
    Skype- cklamb

Thanks
    A moodboard from me Also I'm all for the whole deadlines and competitiveness etc! I've got msn, but what's Skype? I've never heard of it. Is it another type of messenger?

Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees

Oh and things that may be quite inspirational for this challenge,

Images and Artwork from the following:

Final Fantasy Games
    Guild Wars
    Warhammer
    LOTR
    Disney
    Wizards of the Coast

And other things along similar lines.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    It looks like each moodboard has at least one image that i've plucked out for my own here (and didnt include because this moodboard is large enough as it is ), its a good sign . Especially that pop bottle armour in CK's board! Thats exactly the kind of thing i like to see

Some of the examples i have here are very much modern- im not saying with this i would emphasise a modern style, as we know the CA game is still very much in the realm of high fantasy, and it would be bad to stray TOO far from that. I'm thinking more of taking the usual shapes and twisting them via a modern sense of theatricality and individualism so that we're not just putting a few spikes on the same armour as everyone else.

I like to imagine encountering these people and being able to tell immediately that they are from strange lands (or are just strange in the head) Unusual fabrics, skins from unknown animals with special properties, to deal with harsh environments, or specific jobs ( what would a dragon handler wear to protect him/herself? What about someone who lives at high altitude, a desert, or places which flood on a regular basis?)

I like the idea of pictish warriors in particular, painting/tattooing themselves up to be intimidating to their enemies and to give them strength through powerful symbols. Their armour (or lack thereof) may not actually protect them, but it doesnt matter, because the suggestion of an armour, that the gods/devils have chosen them is enough. And i mean, these guys lived in SCOTLAND, it never stops bloody raining there, and its cold as all hell. the picts must have been hardcore.

edit- i just noticed this board is kind of rubbish in terms of colour schemes and actual...mood. Theres a lot of stuff i left out, may have to recompile a second one for mood mood and not just ' heres some weird stuff that may be inspiring'.

edit2- browsed other teams. Mind is too sleepy to comprehend. Moodboard..inadequate. Tomorrow it all starts for real.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by ALH; August 2nd, 2009 at 08:29 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok. Quick post before I call it a night.

There are four major classes: Fighter, Spell-Caster, Healer, and Thief, with a multitude of subclasses. Considering there are four of us, we should make sure we have all classes represented in some fashion or another. My proposal is that we pick a class we would like to do in the order in which we joined up. So, I'll get whatever is left-over after you three pick. This first character will be each of our main entries, meaning it must be finished. If you are closing in on the first one, or are SUPREMELY confident that you can do multiples at once, then you can do a character/class/sub-class of your choice. (Though if your main doesn't get finished there will be some complications and repercussions.)

That being said, I know we haven't had time to go to in depth for character development, but I was thinking about the idea of stereotypes and playing on the idea of good and evil. To make it a bit more fun and complex try to give it a nice twist on which of the character portraits is evil and which is good:

Ex. A dark knight with a heart of gold vs. a religious zealot of a paladin (what is the fine line between good and evil when it comes to intentions)

My knight is coming along, hopefully I'll post my sketch tomorrow sometime. As far as the skype thing goes, I've never used it but I did download it and am willing to try it out if that is what you guys/gals want to do.

Edit: Oh and we need to establish a schedule of deadlines tomorrow.

Thanks
    Actually, I'll post a progress shot, and update it as I finish tomorrow.

Edit: Lower limbs are kicking my ass at the moment, I'm leaving it in BW (Unless I have time to finish it later in the competition.)

Name:  knightly_duties.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  72.7 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; August 4th, 2009 at 02:08 AM.

Thanks
    I love that look of arrogance on his face, looking forward to seeing your next stage. Getting started on mine this morning, will post my progress later.

Added CKLamb and ALH on skype.

My Sketchbook

Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2