Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees - Page 10

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is where my portraits are now. I'm pretty much done now. I'll make them separate for the finals but I've made it so they can be connected side by side.

Name:  healersfinal_wip3.jpg
Views: 613
Size:  339.3 KB

Just the description to go now. Are we going to name or characters? And how much do you think we need to put in for the description? Oh and does it have to be general or like a bit about both versions?

The image isn't very clear here, it looks a lot better than this quality-wise. I just did a quick print screen shot of it.

Edit: Just seen that CK has answered some of my queries on the descriptions.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    ALH is offline one of those tiny little dogs rich people keep in their vaginas
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    One last thing, for the character description/bio, my first impulse is to say DON'T write it in third person. He, she, it..etc. If you can come up with a clever first person narrative, please do. Try to get in your character's head. Write it from a neutral standpoint, as in neither good nor evil. This would be right before or during the event of our brief story. IF you can't get something going then by all means write a standard 3rd person.
    boo, Writing in first person makes it feel like youre doing the characters CV or something, and is surely not something you would encounter in a game?

I would have said to go for writing it as if it is a legend.

MANY HAVE SPOKEN ABOUT THE WISE OLD WOMAN OF WALLSEND, WAILING AS SHE WEAVES HER WIZARDLY WONDERMENTS. SOME SAY SHE WAS ONCE A FAIR MAIDEN, OTHERS A WRETCHED CONCUBINE OF THE DARK LORD, BANISHED FOR FAILING TO BEAR HIM AN HEIR.

You know, all epic, or potentially as if we knew the character, rather than actually *being* that character. typical NPC spiel-

Oh CKlamb? That shifty looking dude with the scars? yeah i heard of him, he always smelled of beets. Nice chap though, always bought a bunch of roses for the missus. Heard he got in a bit of bother with some demon armour though, nasty stuff.#

EDIT--

That is to say, leaving it open for peoples interperetation, as a first person account takes away a bit of the mystery. Its more fun if people can project their own personality onto , for example, my basic scared of death/old/mage by how they interpret the image than me tell everyone specifically how she would react to whatever situation. As this is a static portrait project not one which will have animation etc theres no real need for an intense personality workup, a backstory is enough .

Last edited by ALH; August 30th, 2009 at 08:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, a good first person narrative doesn't usually give everything out on an open platter. Say for example, you took a small clip of an inner dialogue that your witch is having with herself as she lays awake at night curiously awaiting the inevitable. First person doesn't have to be ham fisted, but if you are against it then by all means do a third person, just keep it short and interesting. Focus on the pathos of the character not their role in a story. The problem, for me, about third person is that it's getting to know a character through an intermediary source, which isn't quite the same as meeting the person. Meeting someone and hearing about someone are completely different experiences. Again, time is short, just make sure you can get the reader's attention.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 30th, 2009 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CKLamb View Post
    Say for example, you took a small clip of an inner dialogue that your witch is having with herself as she lays awake at night curiously awaiting the inevitable.
    Theres the problem really, I cant place myself into the shoes of an ancient old woman, I can only proxy. I can guess at what someone like her may think from my own conversations with old women, but until I am myself that age theres no way i could make it sound right. If she was younger I'd have a stab at it, but I cant even suspend disbelief at this one, its too much to make up at the last minute. I can bullshit for england if its backstory you're after, but internal narrative? olawd.

A quick check - Mageys costume has changed a lot over the past couple of days as i've been pushing it to settle, part of these changes is a mask like structure over the 'good' mages face- kind of a play on the whole final fantasy black mage 'no face' thing as well as some honeycomb/beekeeping stuff I was exploring earlier. Artistically It works, it helps balance the elements a bit, and offers contrast between the nakedness of the evil mage, warts n all - but it does obscure her face, and im wondering if there are any objections to this, be they from the group or from anyone official lurking around? I wouldnt want my crazy fashion stuff to clash with the teams chances, and i can always change things up

..and probably will tomorrow morning.

Version in this JPG is slightly darker than what i;d go for, because its nearly 3AM and im tired, can barely type now.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cherry- I don't plan on naming any of my characters, not sure about everyone else. As far as description, try to write more about his personal characteristics. You could highlight a possible character flaw that would lead to the dark path and a saving point that could lead to the light.

ALH- Umm, not much to say other then what I said the last two posts, do what you want if you don't like my suggestion. It's not a biggie. As far as the veil, if you can do it without flattening your image by all means do what you think looks more interesting. ATM you've taken the part of your painting that has the most depth and flattened it with the patterning. From the looks of it, you have a top-front light. If you could render the veil accordingly I think it would mesh volumetrically.

I'll post the format for finals soon.

EDIT: If one of you could prep our team logo to the 300 x 300 px I would appreciate that.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 31st, 2009 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Name:  light.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  15.8 KBName:  dark.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  16.4 KB

RACE:
    CLASS:

LIGHT DESCRIPTION:

DARK DESCRIPTION:

Name:  wipboard.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  47.2 KB

Portrait constraints: 700px height max
    WIP Board Parameters: height 500px
    width 1000px

Completely open to discussion on rearranging this and adding more data for the characters.

Light and Dark can be on either side.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 31st, 2009 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christ, all that over a 5ish line character description?! You strike me as someone that gets told to calm down a lot ALH but also someone that doesn't like being told to. Im not being horrible but instead of all that you could've just given it a bash and be done already. Its a good thing to have an opinion but you need to know when to stop, arguing until you wear the other person down isn't the way to get your point across.

Its only a few lines, try it both ways, see which works better, thats all. Stop over thinking everything.

Btw - eyes like candlelight? Methinks you fancy my character... Oh and looking like a battlefield hobo with a crazy demon posession? That is EXACTLY what hes meant to be! I've done a bit of work to both though and if you still think my evil fella is good then you have issues. Ill probably work on finishing them off later tonight along with the descriptions, I know the good portrait still needs some work:

Team CHOW II: The Happy Little TreesTeam CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees

Corey: Submission format looks fine to me, do we need a WIP board though, thought just a link to the sketchbook was sufficient? Looking forward to seeing your finals.

My Sketchbook
    Team CHOW 2 ALH, Blackcherry, Nimzicki, CKLamb

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nimzicki: I think your character's looking really good . I like how you've got the backgrounds to link as well I think that would be a good way to present our pieces but not sure if it would be possible with the submission guidelines calling for separate portraits, either way you could always present them like that outside the competition.

I hope everythings ok with your family situation now!

CK: Does it say we need a WIP board? Like nimzicki said I though we'd only need to link back to the sketchbook for the WIP shots. That was the format in the last competition.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nimzicki View Post
    Christ, all that over a 5ish line character description?! You strike me as someone that gets told to calm down a lot ALH but also someone that doesn't like being told to. Im not being horrible but instead of all that you could've just given it a bash and be done already. Its a good thing to have an opinion but you need to know when to stop, arguing until you wear the other person down isn't the way to get your point across.
    Im actually pretty embarrassed about doing that in the thread, shouldnt have posted at 1am+ cant say im at my most professionally minded that late. Severe verbal diarrhoea, I didnt mean to sound confrontational.

Evil side looks eviler now, just roughing up that hair really helped.

Not finished, but close -

Last edited by ALH; August 31st, 2009 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cherry- The wip board is just for the sketchbook, I wanted a nice little wrap-up at the end, so people don't have to dredge through 10 pages.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 31st, 2009 at 11:45 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Were you thinking one WIP board for the light and another for the dark portrait or just one for both?

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, just been checking out the submission guidelines and we need a description for each of the portraits (one for good and one for evil). Quoted from daestwen:

You need to submit at least a paragraph of the brief in the final burning thread for each of the images. If they are longer than that, post the first paragraph and then a link to the rest. Yes, you need one for each portrait, as good and evil would have different descriptions, right?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Cherry.

Rich, both if possible, if not just compile what you can.

EDIT: If your character's classes are different from portrait to portrait please specify.

Last edited by {CKL}; August 31st, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll have a stab at em once i've got my mage done, send over the images as they are so i can weave something heinous - though if more than one of us fancies doing it it could be interesting to choose which is the better idea at the end :3.

Also- seeing as we have to do a description for each, be sure to mention 'the event' in your descriptions for extra brownie points.

' wraught with despair after the event she could take the pain no longer and plunged herself into darkness '

' The event made me see the light and focus on the good things in life...'

edit- remember to be careful about class swaps, we're allowed some leeway, but cant have a ranger turn into a mage etc

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fuck, fuck, fuck.....

Name:  fighter_evil.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  96.3 KBName:  fighter_good.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  126.2 KB
    Name:  Summoner_light.jpg
Views: 508
Size:  135.4 KBName:  Summoner_dark.jpg
Views: 539
Size:  80.9 KB

EDIT: Class swap should stay in the same archetype: Like my archetype is Rogue, subclasses could be thief, burglar, duelist, assassin, etc. You're party role should not change.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need to go have a nap or eat some food soon, burning the candle at both ends here, but this is what I have so far for the summoner/knight

The Summoners Story-

. dwarf summoner is hired by a noble family to act as a nanny for their restless children. She has a bit of a napoleon complex when pushed about her diminutive height, and is eager to prove herself to be more than a cute little girl, but her heart is in the right place.

. on the way back from market she encounters the other characters mid-struggle, and does her best to help out, sending out all manner of birds and beasts to aid the other warriors.

In one version of the timeline she succeeds and is praised for her actions. She continues on to her noblemans court and in celebration of her exciting victory summons a whole flock of adorable birds for the children to play with. She is a kind nanny and teaches the children the importance of teamwork with her fluffy flock. They grow to be the most well respected and friendly of all the noblemen and women.

In the alternate timeline her attempts fail terribly, she just isnt strong enough to make an impact on the battle, and is tossed around like a ragdoll by the demon. Battered, she returns to the children with vengence on her mind, and has less patient with the children, no time for fun or games. She turns her hand to studying the dark arts in order to boost her summon skills, creating a foul jackal like beast to nip at the heels of the children when they step out of line. They learn the merits of dedicating onesself to ones cause, something which drives them in the future to become harsh and cruel to the peasants littering their inherited lands.

Edit knight in soon, grabbing food.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Final entries for my Elfin Healer:

Name:  THLT_TChow_Dark_Healer.jpg
Views: 495
Size:  235.2 KB Name:  THLT_TChow_Light_Healer.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  283.9 KB

Race: Elf
    Class: Healer

Deep in the heart of the forest, lives an elfin man who is said to have an amazing gift with almost God-like power, being able to heal all wounds, cure all sickness and restore life to all living things. Living in solitude amongst the wild has allowed him to lead a quiet life away from civilians who would likely end up selfishly exploiting his powers for their own means.

With the power in his grasp to build a better world, the healer is held back by moral issues which plague him, does he have the right to use his powers to their full potential and play God? Or should he remain hidden and do nothing unless the opportunity presents itself?

When an unforeseen event occurs the time comes for him to make a choice...

Which path will he chose?

Dark
    Giving in to his intoxicating power in the events aftermath, the elfin man quickly becomes a saviour to the people who are instantly in awe at the extent of his healing abilities. Through the use of his gift he gradually begins to exploit all who come to him for help, charging them for home made remedies and the curing of any ailments or injuries they may have. He becomes a figure who is revered and feared amongst the townsfolk. Lost in the depths of megalomania, the healer’s original good intentions for his gift have been warped turning him into a power hungry man who cares little for the feelings and needs of others. He is not well liked and even nature, where he is always been at home, has begun to wither in his presence.

Light
    Choosing to remain on the boundaries of civilisation in the aftermath, keeping his gift hidden from others, the elfin man is contented living besides nature which flourishes around him. As a man of the forest he is happy harvesting and growing herbs to make his own cures and medicines. These healing potions for common ailments he distributes amongst the towns folk when passing through. This allows him to help others without having to reveal the extent of power he has in his grasp. Despite preferring to keep his gift hidden, the healer is prepared, if such an opportunity arises, to step in and help those who seek out the need for his amazing power.

(My description here is quite long. We don't need to post it all in the final post though we can link back if its over a paragraph so just submit the light and dark bits)

Name:  THLT_TChow_Healers.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  357.9 KB

I'll get the WIP shots up soon.

Last edited by blackcherry; August 31st, 2009 at 07:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rock on peeps and good luck!!!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

20. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just about done with these:

Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees Team CHOW II: The Happy Little Trees

Race: Orc
    Class: Fighter

Light

Its been 9 days since I put on this God forsaken armour, 9 days since I felt it slice into me and take hold, 9 days since the first time I felt it breathe, speak to me and try to bend my mind to its will. The others...if it wasn't for them...im sure it would have consumed me, I owe them my mind, my life, my soul. I can't let this abomination from the depths take me.

Dark

That armour...that beautiful armour. 9 days since it took hold and still its power surges through me, changing me. I no longer see it. I no longer see anything. I feel it all around me. Power, pure, surging and infinite. I am no longer alone. Nothing will stand in our way, the hunger has begun.

Last edited by nimzicki; August 31st, 2009 at 10:37 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Female/Human/Mage

Evil-

The incident brought the terrible childhood memories back to her, stuck in those devillish jaws, screaming for the handsome prince who did not come..the trauma of battle mixed with the pain was too much for such an old soul to handle. It cracked, as did she, now hopeless and devoid of humanity, she wanders, causing death and destruction as she passes through...

Good-

The incident pushed her to the absolute edge, but she pulled through, and death was no longer something to fear. She accepted her place in life, and vowed to live out her remaining years to the fullest, spreading her vast wealth of magical knowledge as she travels through new towns and cities, eager to explore the wildernesses she was once afraid of.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_rogueDark.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  152.0 KBName:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_rogueLight.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  155.1 KB

RACE: Halfbreed (Elf/Troll)
    CLASS: Assassin (Dark) & Thief (Light)

Light Description: Freak...monster...your words can't hurt me anymore. I know ignorance runs deep, but I shall endure and overcome...I've seen the goodness that is buried within. If it were not for them, if it were not for love and companionship, I fear what might have been.

Dark Description: Freak...monster...let the meat-sacks have their fun.....night comes all the same. I'm not your dog to kick around anymore, I won't grovel for your affections, for your love...I don't need love. You can't use me anymore...not after what happened. Hmm, look at that one....yesss...he looks just like that bastard healer. Your nose will look wonderful in my collection...

Name:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_summonerLight.jpg
Views: 410
Size:  175.8 KBName:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_summonerDark.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  125.4 KB

RACE: Gnome
    CLASS: Summoner

Light Description: Tiny, yes. I am very small. Yet, within me, like this small bird, lies a great power. No, not magic, you silly. Unity. Individually we are weak, however, together, united, we are invincible. As the healer has taught us, it is through unity, compassion, and love that we shall triumph over the darkness of night.

Dark Description: Everyone...I can see it. They look down on me. They pity me...weak and insignificant little me. Ah, but things have changed...I've power now...I am strong...the deamon armor has taught me well, and you will know me by the trail of the dead.

Name:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_knightDark.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  92.9 KBName:  teamchow_thehappylittletrees_knightLight.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  129.3 KB

RACE: Human
    CLASS: Inquisitor (Dark) and Paladin(Light)

Light Description: Brotherhood and humility, these are my daily bread. If we are not bound by compassion, we are lost to the void that is despair. After many trials and tribulations, our path lead a man to salvation, and perhaps redemption. With the healer's blessing upon me, I shall spread this seed of hope among the fallen and abused.

Dark Description: Compassion?!? You speak of compassion! Pah, you've not seen the darkness in man. I have witnessed the insidious heart that beats within you all. I shall not stop until I have that bastard orc's head upon my mantle. The truth my dear friends is out there, and I shall seek it out and pluck it from their skulls.

Name:  Thief_WIPBOARD.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  154.9 KB

Last edited by {CKL}; September 1st, 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So thats it then people, we had our ups and downs but I don't think anyone can say that they haven't learned something from this. Even if its just that CKLamb is a gun toting Mexican cowboy. I signed up to this thing with the pure intention of using it as a learning experience and what I have gained from this is invaluable.

I just wanted to say another thanks to all The Happy Little Tree's, especially CKLamb who has helped me out with paintover after paintover showing me the error of my dumbass ways and for schooling me everytime he posted his portraits. I can't thank him enough for his patience in that respect These were the first full character designs i've ever created and im glad to say I don't hate them :p

Looking back at a couple of my pieces from a month or so back I can definitely see an improvement from all this and ill continue working on the weekly CHOW challenges in the hope of improving more.

All thats left now is to see where the voting goes, and my bet is that it gets split between those Howling Loveboys and Studio Moinoi and my god they tore it up. But everyone loves an underdog right? :p

It's been fun guys, stay frosty.

My Sketchbook

25. The Following User Says Thank You to nimzicki For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work everyone! It's been good fun working with you all! Thanks CK for making the Final post

27. The Following User Says Thank You to blackcherry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GJ to everyone on this, i know ill be bitching about my own images for a while yet, but i think on a whole our characters gel together well in an interesting way. Its been fun to unravel the mystery of the demon armour, and i recommend any curious visitors to this page go back to the start of the thread and read the little story we have woven . Im proud of what we have created!

My WIP board -

29. The Following User Says Thank You to ALH For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nimzicki- Doris, like I said before...keep your panties on. For someone just starting, you've got the most important trait for succeeding, perseverance. I'm glad if I was able to help you in any way that I could.

ALH- Sarah, I'm glad you opted not to rape us with your imaginary penis, though I think Rich would be in more danger than I, as I live an ocean away ;P. I think you should be really proud of your witch! Some time apart from it will make you see it through better eyes. It really has this nice radiant glow.

Cherry- By God you're probably the sweetest person on the team, you consistently are up beat and on time with all your stuff, even with the week off! Thank you so much for everything you've done to make this a successful project!

TEAM: Well, in the end, I think the only asses we may have kicked are our own, but those are the one's that count! I consider myself very lucky to have been able to work with you all in this endeavor. I wish you all the best, and look me up anytime!

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.