Team Chow II :: Topics and Main Thread - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am with Kraal here, how do I join a team? This sounds like FUN!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    winner of a topic... never done any high fantasy stuff though.... hmm... out of the comfort zone i spose.

"...the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad, so I had one more for dessert..." -Johnny Cash

[misc]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    NEAT NEAT NEAT!

Could I get signed up for a random team??

[edit] wait, im going to try and assemble a team first!

Last edited by Sublimus; August 1st, 2009 at 03:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have another question, how much wiggle room do we have in regards to pose? Do we have to do a full frontal standing pose, or we're free to do standing, walking, running, sitting down....as long as the character shows 3/4 of the front side, and is a full length character? Can we do back view or 3/4 back view?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know the character we show needs to be shown in both good and evil, and it has to be the same character, but can we change up the gender? Like an evil male orc thief and then a good female orc thief - still the same, but showing the gender options...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wonder if we may use medieval fire arms. Our team was thinking about something like an archebus or something. Would that be okay?

“Nothing in this world that's worth having comes easy”

My Sketchbook DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon

Hey can we join this? Our team is called Sureños

So far members are Gringo and Maestro Andres.

I'm asking if someone else is interested, but so far, people are busy. Can we add another team member, if someone decides to join later on?

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chromatic Codex and Hugeharhar in Team Ticklebear.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ARCHITECTS OF THE OMNIPOTENCE,THE HEGEMONIC EDIFICE OF THE UNIVERSE, PAPA COSMOCRATOR - Ryden_, gunnarsson, Konstruktion.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Konstruktion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Konstruktion View Post
    ARCHITECTS OF THE OMNIPOTENCE,THE HEGEMONIC EDIFICE OF THE UNIVERSE, PAPA COSMOCRATOR - Ryden_, gunnarsson, Konstruktion.
    This is going to be off the hook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Question:

How do we know if our team is random enough?
    Should our characters be truly random, as in role a dice for each variable (sex, race, class, etc), or is it just enough if we make a point to have a variety of races and roles in our lineup?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    We're looking at High Fantasy here, but I don't mind if you blur the culture lines a little bit. ;] But no sci-fi, please. As far as style goes, that's totally up to your team. But try to keep it in genre.
    This answer of yours Daestwen it's something i was thinking about this contest.
    My initial idea was to keep the races, classes,etc suggested in the brief but without the european middle age look. Fantasy but with other cultaral aspects.
    I don't know however how far can we bend or blur the cultural lines.
    There is some aspect of the character that is unremovable?(mainly about looks)
    Sorry if this questions are too annoying,And thanks in advance.

Oh and we have a name for the team now: White rabbit (cliche i know, but i like the book and i couldn't think in a better name)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Super High Five Squad is looking for two members. Toss me a pm if you're looking for a team.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    PLEASE DO NOT SIGN UP IN THIS THREAD, IT WILL NOT GO INTO THE TEAM LIST. PLEASE SIGN UP IN THE "SIGN-UP" THREAD, ALSO FOUND IN THIS FORUM. I WILL DELETE ANY SIGN-UP POSTS MADE HERE STARTING TOMORROW.

Quote Originally Posted by AsaB View Post
    Sorry for the double-post, but I was wondering if you could possibly elaborate further on the individual awards? You said something about leadership awards and such, but I don't really see how that would work. Just curious!
    We'll be working this out later, and it will really depend on what we see in the threads and stuff. Basically it's just so that even if it turns out that your team doesn't work well together / the other members drop out or leave you hanging, etc, that people doing good work can still get recognized. :]

I have another question, how much wiggle room do we have in regards to pose? Do we have to do a full frontal standing pose, or we're free to do standing, walking, running, sitting down....as long as the character shows 3/4 of the front side, and is a full length character? Can we do back view or 3/4 back view?
    Please do it mostly front-facing, thanks. :]

I know the character we show needs to be shown in both good and evil, and it has to be the same character, but can we change up the gender? Like an evil male orc thief and then a good female orc thief - still the same, but showing the gender options...
    Good question, but no, it has to be the same gender. You're very welcome to submit an other-gender sketch version as part of your wips, though, to show what you'd like to do with it. :]

I wonder if we may use medieval fire arms. Our team was thinking about something like an archebus or something. Would that be okay?
    Nope. High Fantasy usually doesn't have them, so I would stay away from them. Had a big argument with my teamate yesterday about this, and we checked the dates on when they were invented and they are all very late medieval, whereas high fantasy tends to be around late dark ages / early medieval and thus is a couple hundred years out. :]

How do we know if our team is random enough?
    Should our characters be truly random, as in role a dice for each variable (sex, race, class, etc), or is it just enough if we make a point to have a variety of races and roles in our lineup?
    Mostly just to make a point about variety. :] If you want to make sure you're being open enough, pm me and i'll come look at your thread. :]

My initial idea was to keep the races, classes,etc suggested in the brief but without the european middle age look. Fantasy but with other cultaral aspects.
    I don't know however how far can we bend or blur the cultural lines.
    There is some aspect of the character that is unremovable?(mainly about looks)
    Well, there are lots of other cultures that had 'middle ages' that weren't in europe. :] I think as long as you stick to the same level of technology, regardless of culture, it should be fine. Just think of the "Men from the East" in Lord of the Rings. :]

Last edited by daestwen; August 2nd, 2009 at 11:18 AM.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    team moinoi : algenpfleger, Alexander Pascenko, Janaschi

19. The Following User Says Thank You to hunchback For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re-enter a character

Hi Daestwen ,

I entered the newborn challenge way too late about 6 days ago. And felt i did alot of work with the character in the 6 days. I was wondering could i re-enter my character for this competition so i wont waste the time i spent on the character. the character didn't really suit the competition too and i have to make a evil side of her.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=164411

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Daestwen? Why haven't you added my team to the list yet? I put the post here AND in the suscribe forum.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, just for any case:

"6. Please keep to the format of the image below."
    means only "make it character-centered", right? Or we have to keep the exact proportions of the image and not a pixel shorter?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nzrkiwi View Post
    I entered the newborn challenge way too late about 6 days ago. And felt i did alot of work with the character in the 6 days. I was wondering could i re-enter my character for this competition so i wont waste the time i spent on the character. the character didn't really suit the competition too and i have to make a evil side of her.
    No, you absolutely may not. Only images made for this contest can be entered, and this is a team-based contest anyway.

GriNGo: I'm techinically at my mother's house on vacation. Thus I am doing the best I can but there's a little bit of a delay. I didn't take any of the teams posted in this thread because I specifically said not to put them here, and if you put your team in the team thread after I last said "updated teams" then I haven't gotten to you yet and please be patient. Just because you're not in the team list doesn't mean that you can't start your thread and participate, it just means that I am busy and slow.

"6. Please keep to the format of the image below."
    means only "make it character-centered", right? Or we have to keep the exact proportions of the image and not a pixel shorter?
    Keep it around the same ratio, please, but exact dimensions can be changed a bit. (like, it should still be longer than it is tall, in about the same ratio width-to-height)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey daestwen Ive been looking around the threads for this topic and I came up with a couple questions.
    1. By a good and evil version of the same character do you mean, for example, two elf clerics one good one evil or one elf cleric being pictured first as a good guy then as a bad one.
    and also
    2. the time period has to be medieval correct? a couple threads seem to be going for 18th century.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Someone posted in our thread mentioning that the time period HAS to be medieval in order to be high fantasy. I think this was extrapolated based on the comment about not allowing weapons like guns, but I want to be clear to exactly how this impacts the whole project. We've been planning to base ours on 18th century french clothing/shapes/desigm, of course in a high fantasy universe (so if there were weapons, they would look 18th century, but be magic-based, etc.). To be safe, I have been scanning and re-reading the wiki definition of high fantasy and nothing in there says it has to belong to an exclusively medieval time frame... it often does, but it doesn't HAVE to (it even cites His Dark Materials as a high fantasy example which is more 19th century steam punk) Since we want to break the generic medieval high fantasy mold and show something completely new (per the brief) doesn't limiting the time frame defeat the purpose? We're also assuming this is an alternate universe, where elves and trolls and such exist, so their medieval could look like 18th century France if we wanted it to, right?

Last edited by JessiBean; August 3rd, 2009 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiBean View Post
    Someone posted in our thread mentioning that the time period HAS to be medieval in order to be high fantasy. I think this was extrapolated based on the comment about not allowing weapons like guns, but I want to be clear to exactly how this impacts the whole project. We've been planning to base ours on 18th century french clothing/shapes/desigm, of course in a high fantasy universe (so if there were weapons, they would look 18th century, but be magic-based, etc.). To be safe, I have been scanning and re-reading the wiki definition of high fantasy and nothing in there says it has to belong to an exclusively medieval time frame... it often does, but it doesn't HAVE to (it even cites His Dark Materials as a high fantasy example which is more 19th century steam punk) Since we want to break the generic medieval high fantasy mold and show something completely new (per the brief) doesn't limiting the time frame defeat the purpose? We're also assuming this is an alternate universe, where elves and trolls and such exist, so their medieval could look like 18th century France if we wanted it to, right?
    This is a good argument. And though I definitely don't consider His Dark Materials high fantasy (as it, like Harry Potter, includes very contemporary ventures into our own world, as well as tandem parallel universes), I can see the point.

I wasn't going to personally take an issue with clothing/accessories/etc, but when it comes to weaponry I'm a bit on the fence, I'm afraid. I would consider that 'gothic fantasy' or 'steampunk' rather than high fantasy...

You guys are shooting for something that's very much like "Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel" which is totally awesome, but not reeeeally traditional fantasy, which in this case is more what I was shooting for. (Ps, you guys really should read that book)

However, I hate to be a dictator here, so I will concede and allow it, but if you can keep the modern weaponry to a minimum I'd appreciate it. :] Though it's personally one of my *favourite* fantasy settings, it's not quite what's in the brief here, though I guess I wasn't specific enough.

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How can I participate? How can I find a teamate?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ariel_medel: It's easy to participate. Go to the sign-up thread here http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=164163 and either a) post you're looking for a team or to be randomly assigned, or b) PM a member of a team that you like who still has openings and ask to join. There are a number of people who are still looking for teams or to add to them.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Should we come up with a story for why characters change from good and evil, or is it best not to worry about that part of it too much?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Liffey: I wouldn't worry too much. think about it like choices that the player can make for a character - either they can play the character good, or they can play them evil. Rather than two identical people who happened to be opposites on that spectrum and live in the universe at the same time, they are the same person who could take two different life paths. :]

Does that help?

Last edited by daestwen; August 4th, 2009 at 12:48 AM. Reason: spellering

32. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are these to be for the conceptart.org game project? Will they probably be plugged directly into the game? Will there be separate challenges for the writers to come up with story? Etc?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    daestwen - id like to do something urban..city-like..i guess pretty modern...like a modern urban orc assassin. im guessing thats not going to fly??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was wondering if we could multiclass. I was reading a bit about D&D classes to get an idea about what makes each one different (especially amongst the fighter types), and I glanced at a little about multiclassing. I'm not sure if I'd actually have two types (definitely no more than two; more than that and the recognizablity gets lost), but I wanted to clear it with you so we'd have the option.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are these to be for the conceptart.org game project? Will they probably be plugged directly into the game? Will there be separate challenges for the writers to come up with story? Etc?
    This isn't directly for the game project no, more to inspire those working on it and get their heads in the game. :] But I think anyone who would like to work on that project later will probably want to stretch their muscles here! It's a good opportunity to learn to work in a team and create some awesome stuff. As for questions about the game project itself, those are better directed to Jason in the thread in the lounge.

daestwen - id like to do something urban..city-like..i guess pretty modern...like a modern urban orc assassin. im guessing thats not going to fly??
    Not modern, no. But "urban" isn't modern either, you know. :] There have been cities around for thousands of years! But if you mean style/etc, no, i wouldn't put that in the realm of 'high fantasy' I'm afraid, but feel free to take inspiration from this contest to create your own personal work, and please link me later since I would like to see it. :]

I was wondering if we could multiclass. I was reading a bit about D&D classes to get an idea about what makes each one different (especially amongst the fighter types), and I glanced at a little about multiclassing. I'm not sure if I'd actually have two types (definitely no more than two; more than that and the recognizablity gets lost), but I wanted to clear it with you so we'd have the option.
    Short answer : No. Longer Answer: Kiiiindof. Since you're allowed to make up your own classes for this, you can make classes that kind of meld two into one... I would count the "Druid" class in D&D to kind of be a mix of Sorcerer and Ranger, for example.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.