Team CHOW II: team White rabbit - Page 3

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, was wondering what you thought about some crude backgrounds for our characters? This is a rather uninspired attempt so far, might throw some kind of castle in the background to add some depth. Looking at the other threads around here, I kinda' wish I had done something a bit more illustrative, o' well, maybe next time... What do you guys think? I'll post my progress on the good ver. tomorrow.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    MY DAILY SKETCHES

If you can read this, I gave you 5 stars
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dark Eyes:Well, i understand what you say about having more narration, but i think that an abstract kind of background works well for the type of poses and presentation we aim.In any case that can be worked later.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At the moment my biggest concern is to meet the deadline...i'm really behind on the sheddule with my portraits, don't know if i could make the four.And i can only work on this today at dawn and sunday.We need at least six between the three of us.
    How's your progress Dark and Ionic?
    Really sorry about my lack of progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dimagyan: no stress brother... I should have all 4 of mine done... but might not... 3 for sure. Evil orc is clean in my head... just need to put him down on paper. anyways... things are looking god.

----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah don't sweat it, I should be on track to finish the 2 I had assigned... will post the light version in a couple hours, I'll take out the crappy background from the dark version and try some backgrounds more like ionic's posts... cheers!

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit too tired to work on this tonight, should finish it up tomorrow though...

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good/Evil Elven Priets
    Team CHOW II: team White rabbitTeam CHOW II: team White rabbit

not sure if I'll get the orc done. but heres my third.

Last edited by Ionic; August 30th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.
    ----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ionic: HELLLLLLLZZZZZZZ YEAH!!!!!
    Heh, Looks like third times the charm on that dark elf
    Excellent work sir!

For consistency's sake I through in some backgrounds that resembled yours... I am going to polish a few areas tomorrow morning, but that's about the gist...

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work guys! sorry for my lack of posts yestarday.

progress:

Name:  half elf bad paint progress 2copia.jpg
Views: 2833
Size:  173.1 KB

Name:  half elf good paint progress copia.jpg
Views: 2066
Size:  173.4 KB

Name:  private soldier bad paint progress2 copia.jpg
Views: 1170
Size:  172.7 KB

Name:  private soldier good paint progress 2copia.jpg
Views: 1622
Size:  161.0 KB

Ok, we are almost done with the minimum number of portraits.
    The human fighter is almost done in his two versions(only rest the hands and the swords) and the Half-elf portraits are close to finish.

Here are the guidelines for the submission:

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

the format is:

Name:  format.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  88.8 KB

i made the calculations for the 300 dpi files, then we can resize for the web.

We need the character descriptions, team activity, etc...
    I can do the submission(just post your portraits in here in the correct format and i will upload in the final thread), but it could be probably a good idea that you two write the descriptions and team activities(or at least correct my grammar because im a disaster for english!)...anyaway, in any case we can do this during the day before the deadline,no?

In the meantime we can post(if you want ofcourse) some ideas for the descriptions of the portraits we did and what we did.

Cheers

Last edited by DIMAGYAN; August 31st, 2009 at 05:01 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Dimagyan! I really like how you pushed the textures in the fighters, hopefully you will finish half elfs?
    here are my finals, I'm going with the black background and text, but that's optional... give me a second to write up a description...

Last edited by Dark_Eyes; August 31st, 2009 at 10:59 PM.
    MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Dark. Im doing the final touch ups on the four portraits. We need a brief description and make a list of the members activities in the team.

I will upload the portraits in a moment.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not sure if this is what they're looking for, but here goes

Team White Rabbit Assignments:
    Ionic:
    -Design a good/evil version of a male elf priest
    -Design a good/evil version of a male orc summoner
    Dimagyan:
    -Design a good/evil version of a male human fighter
    -Design a good/evil version of a female, half-elf rogue
    Dark Eyes:
    -Design a good/evil version of a female goblin alchemist

My idea for the Goblin characters was to make them more intellectual, contrary to the typical, slimy, brutish stereotypes of Goblins. The evil version has more adult proportions with a sickly, cool palette to create a feeling of tension. The Good version has warmer highlights with more childlike facial proportions to suggest a welcoming "beyond-her-years" wisdom. In both characters, I wanted the costumes to be more aristocratic, with rare fabrics and ornamental elements, giving them an institutionalized setting, i.e. a school for alchemical science.

Young female Goblin Alchemist- Good: Young goblin's that seek the knowledge of wind and fire are noble creatures and can be trusted. A small alchemical flask strapped to their belt holds the elixir of life, and can be mixed with various potions to create magical spells and control creatures of the sky. Good goblins have limited magical powers and must rely on their knowledge of alchemical science and reason to affect change in their environment.

Young female Goblin Alchemist- Evil: Goblin's that seek the wisdom of water and earth, are despicable creatures indeed... Evil Goblin's seek power over others, and mix their elixir of death with potions to create wicked spells and to control the creatures of the earth. Evil Goblins have limited magical powers, but their control over savage beasts is not to be underestimated.

This has been a blast! I would love to keep the team going and tackle next round with more strength and direction... I've learned so much this time, and would like to improve upon this months effort, by taking on more assignments that are more illustrative in scope. I still feel like I'm dipping my toe in the water, but I am also starting to streamline my process and think I can handle a bit more next time... Let me know what you guys think, it's been a pleasure.. onward!!!

p.s. dimagyan: p.m. me if you need anything else...

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is great Dark Eyes, very nice!
    Unfortunatley i just post all the portraits in the rush.With a very small and bad writed description...
    Don't know if we can edit the post now...in fact i posted at 00:20...I don't know if we qualificate for the round.

In anycase this was a really fun and educational activity.Working with Ionic and you was great.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awww... crap, oh well It was still worth it! I will double up next round! FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!!!!

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    agreed... damn good work by all... I think the quality was there! but organization lacked a bit... most cause not much was layed out in the begining...

DIMAGYAN: Amazing effort and awesome output brother... I can't wait to do another round with you... I think this team could turn into a force in future rounds.

Dark_Eyes: Great work also... not bad starting late and finishing strong.

I apologize I didn't have time to finish my final rendering life kinda got in the way a bit... that and procrastinating early on... but since this was my first team chow I now have a better concept of the work load

----Art Networks----
    CA.org Sketchbook
    CGHub.com
    ----Social Network----
    Facebook.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ionic:Thanks mate.I look forward to work in the next team chow with you .You did a great work.Awesome paintings.
    Life sometimes get in the way, no problem.
    Procrastination was a bit of a problem for me too.

Dark eyes:I agree with Ionic, you did a great work.Also you was very active to share your ideas and to work with the initial "universe" we set for this team.Well done.

Agreed about the lack of organization.Hopefully next time we can change this.Now we now what to expect about the work and mechanics of tchow.

Overall this was a great experience, so thanks to both of you for your work and dedication to this team.

until next round.

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ionic: Thanks brother! You are first rate! I think I could learn a lot from you.. (would like to see you handle some girly girls in the next round ).

Dimagyan: Again, Thank you! I am so fortunate to have such talented and inspirational teammates!

Definitely, organization could improve next round. Maybe now that we're a bit more established and can read each other better, things will go more smoothly next time. So much depends on that first round of ideas, kinda' like the first couple minutes of meeting someone, it sets the tone for the entire progress of that relationship.. Next round we can start strong, all together, right out the gate...

I really am learning a ton from this activity, the online classes at ca.org, etc... and hope to really show myself up next round.. here are a few notes I thought of after observing some of the other teams, maybe it will help next time..

- Post Reference: I don't know about you guys, I suffer from the "do it all from your head" disease, even though I know how useful reference is for creating good concepts. My way of changing this lately is to pull my reference out when I need to understand something better, ask myself questions, take mental notes, then I hide all the ref' and do it from my head... That way I feel like I'm actively learning how to paint something. Still, it couldn't hurt to post a bunch of reference in the sketchbook so we could all get on the same page..

- No shame in the game: I never think of my ideas as set in stone, so if you want to colab' and paintover my work, feel free.. (although they mention no paintovers in the CHOW rules, I don't know if that is what they're talking about, I'll have to check..)

- More sketches and thumbs: This all depends on work-flow and personal preference, but I think that during this critical, initial phase of idea development, exploring all these elements early on, (form, silhouette, posing, design, color keys, etc, ect... you name it), can only help us to unify our designs and create a more cohesive team entry...

- Some kind of environmental setting for our characters: I know that this is more time consuming and challenging, but personally I'm going to try to add this in the next round. It does so much to sell your concept, you have to admit... Maybe this is something we should consider when brainstorming...

Until next round....

MY DAILY SKETCHES

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.