Angel warrior
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Angel warrior

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angel warrior

Hi everyone, I'm Eric. I'm new to the forums and I hope I can get some good pointers on my work. I really want to improve so I can work with this some day so any comments and/or critique is welcome. I just made this guy and I feel my paintings are really messy when I'm done. I don't want to put forever on polishing a piece and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing but... I guess I just want to make as much different pictures that I can. Please tell me what you think and what you think I need to improve

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Eeric; July 31st, 2009 at 07:18 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Image doesn't seem to be working. Try using the Manage Attachments button. That way your thread will include a thumbnail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There we go! Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything above the pelvis, save maybe the helmet, is looking good. Everything below the pelvis is whats getting me.

First: the leg positions look very unnatural, they seems to be twising off his body! If you look at his "belt" its all facing the left, typically belts will follow the direction of the pelvis, as this is what they're attached to. His left leg, the one I believe is supposed to be bent...looks broken.

second: the shading for the metal looks great on his chest piece and belt. His legs and helmet look very sloppy. The helmet in particular just looks unfinished, needs some darker tones.

Might help to find some reference on armor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a good piece, but you are making a serious mistake. I don't think you can fix it now here, but take it into consideration when you do your next piece.
    Stay away from using pure white for highlights and pure black for shadows. It makes the image look over contrasted and actually flat, hard to define.

Use complimentary colours or warm vs cool colours instead. Mixing colours with White or black dilute the work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much, I agree with you both. I'll definitely try to work more on the sketch next time to get the pose right, and concerning the black and white thing, I'm still kinda new to working with colors to make other colors "pop" in the picture so it's great to hear from someone when I make a mistake. I've heard this about black and white elsewhere too, so I'll definitely think about for my next piece. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.