Newborn- Little Droid Blue

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Newborn- Little Droid Blue

Ok so here are my contest entries- This first one is a digital art piece done in GIMPshop

1- LITTLE DROID BLUE

I started off with a basic concept for a more evolved type of baby and started by blocking a basic baby shape in and doing blocks of colour, gradually blending and seeing what ideas took shape
    Name:  littledroidblue.jpg
Views: 527
Size:  138.4 KB

Then I started filling in the background and adding some more details and started to find a more sinister meaning to the piece.
    Name:  littledroidblue2.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  153.6 KB

I imagined this baby now as a prisoner in an android universe where humans are kept as slaves or fodder. The midwife was now going to be an android and the crib going to have bars on, to emphasise the feelings of imprisonment. I also used a garish colourscheme, to emphasise the feeling of unease and to further convey the feelings of upset and anger a baby is meant to feel when born.
    Name:  littledroidblue3.jpg
Views: 512
Size:  169.4 KB

I then decided to add to the ominous feeling by brightening the contrast and adding some more details like an android attaching an anklet with a designated number in "androidenese" to complete the "enslaved at birth" feel.
    I then made the hands look more metallic, and added a lot of details for extra realism.
    The garish colour scheme also feels very dazzling and oppressive.

Et voila! Name:  littledroidblue5a.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  258.3 KB

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." Scott Adams
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newborn- Meteorflowers

These next pieces are a set of sculptures about cross bred otherworldly half mammalian half plant species and it's life cycle (all are UV reactive)

I made these sculptures out of a variety of mixed media and initially thought of them as separate. As I started making them the ideas came together more fluidly.

The stamen here became the birth of these creatures, and then they branch off and fly into space...

Name:  stamen.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  196.5 KB

Then These creatures start looking for a place to call home and in this case, decide to head towards earth....Name:  towards earth.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  160.7 KB

In order for them to "pollinate" and reproduce successfully, these hybrids need to burn up in the atmosphere, much like australian forestry which will only start to grow again after a fire...
    Name:  Burnup.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  207.8 KB

Now depending on the breed of meteorflower it will do either one of two things. If it is a flower breed it will start to reproduce by "planting" itself in the earth like so (I'm especially happy with this one, as when it's exposed to heat, the centre of it crackles like burning coal like it's just fallen to earth! This is also huge, measuring a metre in length *is all excited* )
    Name:  Flower of evil.jpg
Views: 431
Size:  118.9 KB

And if it is mammalian it will burst open from the flowers and emulate the shape of the dominant species on the planet it has inhabited.
    Depending on the interaction with the species on the planet, this subspecies will either coexist with the dominant species, eventually becoming like them or if presented with hostility will signal for an invasion to commence. It's earth- what do you think it's going to do?
    Name:  Psyborg baby.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  227.8 KB

So there you go!

These ideas were developed when I accidentally bought a secret ingredient with my spraypaint and primer and wondered where it would take me....I'm pretty glad I made the mistake of buying it!

"Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep." Scott Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keewwwll, that blue baby looks creepy lol

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ya...Creepy ideas you've got there...

Imagination encircles the world

Sketchbook

Save earth video

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I know it's a bit different, but I just felt like doing something a bit different!

I know it's probably not for everyone and I appreciate that, but art doesn't always have to be stereotypically or aesthetically pleasing in order to have an impact, and what better way to express yourself than through the medium of art, esp. science fiction and fantasy art in that respect. A lot of Science fiction and Dystopian novels too are exceedingly grim (such as 1984 and Brave New world and even some short stories such as Under Compulsion) and I thought I'd go back to the roots of Dystopian Science Fiction for this. It may not make the covers but it makes a lasting impression

It's a shame that the sculptures don't show their colours very well in the photo's as they are actually rather beautiful. I've got them hanging up on my walls now (Does that make me maladjusted?).

I wish everyone the best for this competition and thankyou for taking the time to look at my work (even if it can be seen as a bit creepy).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *wrappin my arms around you*
    ahh 3D person! where have you been! i was so alone *sniffle*

i like creepy.
    i really really like the last one with the neon green baby. i'd hang a poster of that on my wall, i would. Is there any way you can get a pic with some more lighting tho? its kinda hard to see all the textures i know have got to be hiding in the shadows.

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Neon Baby Pic on the way!

@Riotorange

Woohoo I'm not the only 3D Sculpture person here either! *hugs back!*

Thankyou for the compliment! I shall be posting a picture of the baby here in reagular light really soon (It is a regular green with a silver sheen in daylight and glows neon green two tone under UV Light).

check back in about half an hour and it should be here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Neon Baby Pic on the way!

@Riotorange

Woohoo I'm not the only 3D Sculpture person here either! *hugs back!*

Thankyou for the compliment! I shall be posting a picture of the baby here in regular light really soon (It is a regular green with a silver sheen in daylight and glows neon green two tone under UV Light).

check back in about half an hour and it should be here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice wet baby kinda like a baby oompa loompa... maybe you could some more robotic details to him, like joints, or vent holes or lights.. it's kinda not "droid enough" at the moment.

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon And here it is!

apologies for the tautological posts earlier. I'm not sure what happened!

As promised,here's the baby as it appears in normal light.
    Name:  cyborgbaby.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  403.3 KB

Hope you like- there is a lot of texture here and lots of UV reactive blood- I told you it was creepy!

Comments, compliments and constructive criticism are always welcome.

Enjoy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hope you can see some more of the details- has a robotic eye and a circuit in the arms, and an infra-red sensor instead of an eye. The suit is made entirely out of liquid silicon- yes, it took ages. The crackle effect was done by using a clear varnish and exposing it to heat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input Gringo! xxx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! Thanks for posting the brighter pic, i really wanted to see exactly what the textures looked like.
    i also agree with gringo--if you can add some more tubes, or empty plugs where a tube might go.. that would be beneficial.
    Do you have other stuff posted up on conceptart yet?

"Steering perception? i am.
    Inviting contradiction? i am."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Stuff

I've got some of my stuff posted up in my gallery which is here:
    http://http://www.conceptart.org/?artist=CreatrixArts

It only has my digital artwork on there at the moment but I'm putting some more of my work on there soon.(I'm moving at the moment so I don't really have the time to do as much as I'd like and I'm also working on some photography projects too.)

I'll also be creating a portfolio thread so people can see my work more clearly etc. When I've got the time I will also be creating a sketchbook- I have too many sketches just lying about getting mangled and I need to do something with them- last count it was well over a thousand. oops!

Hope you like what you see and constructive criticism is always welcome.

Last edited by CreatrixArts; August 1st, 2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: link didn't work.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.