Final Submission- The Delivery
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Final Submission- The Delivery

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Final Submission- The Delivery

This is my Entry for Newborn- The Delivery

The first time I ever asked about new life was when my little brother was born. I was about 4 years old and my mother told me- " A Stork flew down and delivered him to me". This is what I used as my inspiration with a twist of course.

I hope you all enjoy this, BossaNova

Last edited by BossaNova; October 6th, 2009 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here it IS!! hello

Like oh my God... huhhhh,... see if I ever enter here again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I personally can see why it wasn't included. You have to remember that there are professionals of the industry in this competition.
    The main critique I can give, is to make sure you know what is happening with your lighting. Different things are lit in different ways, and you have no obvious light sources.
    Don't complain at the mods, they need to cut out some entries so that it isn't ridiculously large. It makes sense to cut out the ones at a lesser skill level.
    I personally believe that my artwork was overlooked and rather than just admitting to that,you've given me this pathetic excuse in an attempt to cover your ineffiecencies.
    And that sentence is out of order. I would advise getting rid of the ego if you want to get into the business. It would help a lot.

No bash to your artwork intended.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

another terd in the soup bowl

Let me clairify things -that was not ego talking that was 30+ hours of work streaming down the drain, and on top of that seeing artwork that looks like my 8 year-old did it, make it into the poll was like a slap in the face.. Now looking through the Heats for the Polls, I use the term "Overlooked" because I'm trying to save somebodies sense of taste, My personal OPINION of which I am entitled, is for them to cut my piece and admit "some" of the peices that they did, Either they have no taste for good work, or they just did a smack-up job and could have cared less. Yes, you are correct I am no professional I've spent the majority of my life drawing with a pencil and paper this is only my second piece of finished artwork I've done with my tablet & PC. Which also explains the 30+ hours, I am not very fast at this yet. Also no there is not an "obvious" light source it is not able to be seen. The light source is coming from an angle that can not be recognized by the viewer. It would be as if the person seeing this display was holding a flashlight. Like I said though I'm still new to this new "tool" tablet & PS4 and contests and such.. like I said in one of my other posts.. I think next-time I do something like this I'm going to try to keep my composition and subject matter a-bit easier for people to visiualize.. not so complex simple 1-2 main subjects.. bland background, maybe even make everything shades of blues of reds and such and definately will not forget to bleed all the color out of it so teaters on the edge of newspaperdom.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you are getting the point at all, so I will just say it like I see it.
    Your piece was not included because it would not have, and will not win.
    It doesn't matter if this is your first digital painting or whatever, the 'simple' concepts such as lighting are the same throughout all mediums.
    "they have no taste for good work" - You are saying that your art is good work, again, lose the ego and you will progress so much faster.
    And as for the comment on your eight year old - You should get them to join the site, I am sure they will go far in the art world if their art is already at such a standard.
    Your '30+' hours were not a waste of time, I am sure that you learned many things while painting this picture. Stop taking it badly, and bounce back and wow us with a breathtaking painting, or get a sketchbook going so we can see what you can do with a pencil and paper.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by BossaNova View Post
    I think next-time I do something like this I'm going to try to keep my composition and subject matter a-bit easier for people to visiualize.. not so complex simple 1-2 main subjects.. bland background, maybe even make everything shades of blues of reds and such and definately will not forget to bleed all the color out of it so teaters on the edge of newspaperdom.
    I'm having a really difficult time reading your post in general, so I'm hoping that's not supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek assessment of other artists' work in this community. If you're angry about the way the judges handled your piece that's one thing, but being critical of others just because your ideas of composition and color theories are different is another. Back-handed remarks like that are unfair, and they reflect very poorly on you.

That said, I think this opportunity is a good time to reflect on what you could do differently in a positive way. I, like you, am still relatively new to the creation of conceptual art pieces. I can't expect to perform like the professionals either. But I know I've got different perceptions of how to go about creating a piece just from looking at the different entries, and I'll use those to better myself. And when I don't win this- because I'm not going to- that isn't going to bother me and I won't complain about the judges and their values, I'm going to try to figure out what I can do better. I want to EARN the respect of the community, and maybe a victory in a contest eventually but more than anything, I want to be a better artist. That's why I'm here in the first place.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BDeysher For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Throw another shrimp on tha Barby

Your piece was not included because it would not have, and will not win. Yes my piece and many others that are in the heats "will not win".

"they have no taste for good work" - You are saying that your art is good work, again, lose the ego and you will progress so much faster.
    -"Do you believe your artwork is "good"?-

My 30+ hours, no it was not a waste of time this I know, I said it "felt" like a waste of time.. I have another finished piece. and yes I did learn quite a bit.

This still does not change my mind about my opinion..

And last but not least: This is for you: BDeysher - For one I am not angry about my piece not getting into the poll, I'm angry because I was given a split second answer, as to what happened pertaining to my piece and I do not "Believe" that I was given a honest answer. This will forever be my OPINION.. of this particular situation, there is not a thing thats going to change that for me. Last but not least, I was only making a comparison in an attempt to try to understand the mods reasoning and was disapointed, and seriously what is there about a contest that is not "critical" this is why people enter contests. I've gotten tones of critism on my piece and I never even asked for it.. lol. I just wanted to know what was going on?? Heck I coulda entered my piece in the county fair and gotten a better reason than what they gave me... uhhh yeah we cut your peice because of quality,, we'll gee what was so unquality about it.. No, what the honest answer here is a whole lot of people invested a amazing amount of time into this contest... and the people that started this whole mess decided they got better things ta do... The Ball was seriously dropped.. all the deadlines we're just a big joke.. Seriously if I was the one that was going to take responsability for a contest such as this one.. I would have put just as much time into it as any-one of the people that entered artwork in it.. And lets not complain about being a volunteer.. either, every single artist putting artwork into this contest was just as much a volunteer if not more.. The way this whole contest has gone from point A to point B has been a sham... I seriously expected to see way more. Oh and please, If your gonna reply to this please give me something --more--- than the obvious..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, BossaNova, I don't really know why I'm replying to you since you said yourself that what you've said above is your 'belief' and that 'This will forever be my OPINION.. of this particular situation, there is not a thing thats going to change that for me', so I don't see how I could say anything to change your mind.

Since I was one of the mods to do the poll I will tell you this. We very clearly discussed your piece and decided it wasn't up to the quality standards that we wanted for the contest, so we chose to remove it from poll. This is the truth. Whether you believe me or not if fine, your 'belief' will not change the fact that what I have said is true.

I am not going to give you a detailed list of critiques, since you don't seem to associate those already given to you with 'reasons'.

If you had, as Yoitisi early stated, sent one of us a pm asking politely why you were cut, we may have put you back into the poll. This is because your piece was one of the last ones cut and we considered it to be on the fence, and would have put it in had you politely mentioned it.

However, instead, you made several posts about it all over the forum, in rude and inflamatory language, attacked my co-mod personally, not taken any of the helpful critism offered, called us liars, attacked the whole contest in general and tried to drag other people's work into your attacks which is wholly unwaranted and as rude as almost anything I can think of.

In short, though I may have had sympathy for you based on your work alone, your attitude and contempt since then have thankfully ridded me of any sympathy on your behalf.

If you continue to attack yoitisi, myself, or any of my colleages, I will ban you. The only reason I haven't done so yet is out of respect for the contest, but since you have shown so little respect at this point, trust me I will not feel bad about it.

Consider this your warning.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Y

And last but not least: This is for you: BDeysher - For one I am not angry about my piece not getting into the poll, I'm angry because I was given a split second answer, as to what happened pertaining to my piece and I do not "Believe" that I was given a honest answer. This will forever be my OPINION.. of this particular situation, there is not a thing thats going to change that for me. Last but not least, I was only making a comparison in an attempt to try to understand the mods reasoning and was disapointed, and seriously what is there about a contest that is not "critical" this is why people enter contests. I've gotten tones of critism on my piece and I never even asked for it.. lol. I just wanted to know what was going on?? Heck I coulda entered my piece in the county fair and gotten a better reason than what they gave me... uhhh yeah we cut your peice because of quality,, we'll gee what was so unquality about it.. No, what the honest answer here is a whole lot of people invested a amazing amount of time into this contest... and the people that started this whole mess decided they got better things ta do... The Ball was seriously dropped.. all the deadlines we're just a big joke.. Seriously if I was the one that was going to take responsability for a contest such as this one.. I would have put just as much time into it as any-one of the people that entered artwork in it.. And lets not complain about being a volunteer.. either, every single artist putting artwork into this contest was just as much a volunteer if not more.. The way this whole contest has gone from point A to point B has been a sham... I seriously expected to see way more. Oh and please, If your gonna reply to this please give me something --more--- than the obvious..
    I'm sorry, but I'm having a seriously difficult time deciphering that rambling post. I'm not entirely sure what your response has to do with what I said, because I made no mention of why you were angry, I said that your implication that to do well you would have to lower your own artistic standards is something that I find offensive. Please re-read what you wrote. I'm not sure if it's just a matter of a seriously different grasp of the English language or if you simply didn't read my post.

And as for the way the contest was run, I agree, it could have been handled better. I don't necessarily see why it's still a point of contention though. It was acknowledged, apologized for, and now the contest is up. What's done is done. How long can we berate them for this? Your concerns as to why your piece was not posted as addressed as well. You aren't content with that answer, and that's fine, but it's a private matter between you and the judges.

My issue, sir, has nothing to do with the contest. It had to do with your under-handed method of insulting others. I don't find it acceptable. That was what my post was about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Core

Okay - I'm going to take a quick moment and try to get to the bottom of this..

This was my Original post I copied and pasted this Post in "2" places, one stayed and the other was quickly deleted from the other location.

[ Uh yah I sent my peice to the e-mail address given and I also posted my peice in the special forum.. for final entries.. and definately before the deadline.. And I do not see my piece in any of the 8 heats?? It was called
    "The Delivery" ya kinda lame.. feel like I wasted my time here.. ]

I started with a very professional question.. next I stated what the name of my piece was... and I even gave myself a hard time about the name I could'nt help but to give it, lol.

Then I said: "Feel like I wasted my time.." at that point after waiting 2 months to see anything happen with all of this ya sorry but I did kinda feel that way..

And this was my first reply to what I posted:

BossaNova: I got a few things to say to this, first of all:

Since you decided not to follow this request but instead figured making several angry posts about it would help I have to say that I'm not inclined on putting it in the poll after all.

I really did not understand where Yoitisi got that the post was an angry post in the first place... and several really meant 2 I guess.

And seriously I had'nt Decided anything.. I had been ignorant to how questions were supposed to be handled.

I'm sorry, I did not notice the post on sending questions via-pm to Yoitisi or Daestwen before I had already posted my 2 questions and recieved this reply.

Now, after this point I admit -I got a bit Fired up. But only because of the reply I recieved from Yoitisi. I felt like I had been judged.

And now Daestwen is threating me with banishment, Wow.

I really don't know what I "should" say about that ?

I guess I should just keep the rest of my opinions to myself I do appreciate the use of this website. mooo

As a last note: I was mainly using the artwork of others in a comparison, attempting to understand reasoning of this judgement that I had received.
    I'm sorry to anyone that may feel like I was attacking their individual peice this was not my main intent. I was just trying to understand this decision which I did not anyways, although it still warrants my apologies. Sorry

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah by the way, I don't remember reading anywhere in jason manley's original contest posting about how to submit your artwork when things would be judged an deadlines and stuff, that there would be artworks cut from all the entries before the poll concluded. But you know I'm just being technical..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Uh yah I sent my peice to the e-mail address given and I also posted my peice in the special forum.. for final entries.. and definately before the deadline.. And I do not see my piece in any of the 8 heats?? It was called
    "The Delivery" ya kinda lame.. feel like I wasted my time here..
    times 2 (3 if you count your repost after I deleted it the first time since you already had a reply from me on the same issue somewhere else) and add to that this quote:

Like oh my God... huhhhh,... see if I ever enter here again
    Count to that the fact that you did ignore the note in the official statement about the polls (which is exactly what that statement is for, and since you posted in there you should've read it in the first place), it didn't really come off as a polite inquiry.

Considering your reactions to the replies of me and a few others on this matter, I don't feel any need to deal with you further.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to yoitisi For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1