Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team CHOW II: Team Sleepless Kats

Thanks
    No probs!You're welcome! I like the last work the most! Well done
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'd like to keep things going, so could you guys please get your moodboards created by Friday? And there's no reason we can't start talking about the project. For instance, are any of you leaning towards a particular region of the world to base the costumes on? Or a climate type?

I admit, I'm kind of leaning towards colder regions. I think this is partially due to an image I liked of characters set with a winter theme; you can see it towards the bottom of my moodboard. It might be fun to use a season or climate type as a connecting theme.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    The new version of the game I'm working on is coming out today - afterwards I'll be more free to work on our team concept. These days are just too tough. I'll try to come up with something till friday
    I don't mind if it would be a cold snowy realm. It gives me a direction. I'd like to think on some fantasy clothing - something I'll imagine,but I'll make a research on it
    I think we can rely on celtic culture,concidering they are a northern type,with their celtic knots designes. What you think?
    Another thing I've been thinking of is how about making some sign of our team and adding it to illustrations - like kinda emblem, that we can put everywhere on our characters or surroundings - on shield,belt,hat,medalion - simply something unic of our team. I'll think of something - you can bring sketches or suggestion for it too

Thanks
    I love Celtic designs. I have a couple books on drawing the knotwork I could scan a little from to help. So, yeah, I think Celtic would be a good starting place. Maybe a little Nordic, like vikings, which also drew on some of those aspects.

I like the idea of an emblem, but not sure if we want all of them to have it. I don't know if I want them to be recognizable as a group. Part of me likes them as individuals. But an emblem to indicate from the same region or community may work. And some people may be more inclined to show affiliation than others, like a cleric or monk more so than a rogue. If we do decide to go with an emblem, I think there should be two versions because we are showing the characters' good and evil versions; it would be more appropriate to have their respective community show it as well. So either similar emblems, or two completely different designs. I'm leaning towards the later.

Overall, kinda either way about the emblem. I like the idea. The final use will fall down to individual preferences.

I'll start looking up more "Northern" and Celtic references.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    I love designing celtic knots.Unfortunately I forgot the folder of my little research at my work,but I went through my collection of artworks and pick some I think inspirational or appropriate.Here
    Team CHOW II: Team Sleepless Kats

Thanks
    Me likes! Fun with shields with one source image. These are all great things, a lot more focused than mine (good thing, IMO). Definitely helping to get some ideas of where we can start from and what's been done.

Hey, greenbd! Where are you?! I know I have too much free time to keep poking, but start saying stuff!

Thanks
    Here's a big collection of reference material.

Thanks
    Nice. A lot of costume reference there. So, greendb, what are some directions you want to go with this?

Thanks
    I like the suggestions of a snowy climate and Celtic motifs as unifying design elements. Looking at the previous Team CHOW entries, I was also wondering about how we should do the final arrangement of the characters--each good & evil pair together, or the good on one side and the bad on the other? I think I'd favor the latter. Also, should we plan on doing some sort of single environment to display them all in, or just break them all out as separate vignettes? Finally, how should we divide the character design work? Do we each take a good & evil pair, or mix it up more? Do we share in the drawing process, with one person setting up the basic character and another adding more details?

I think it will also help our effort to develop some back story for the characters--particularly if we can come up with a reason why there's a good and a bad version of each.

Thanks
    I am thinking it would be best and easiest to each do both versions of a character. For now, I wouldn't worry about how they're going to be presented in the end too much. A background for the group image(s) would be nice, but a number of teams did not have them. Less of a requirement for the individual vignettes, unless, for some reason, they're interacting with the background. I am open to doing the final arrangement as groups, the most straightforward way to do it. If any of us feels strong enough with environments, then he or she can do a background on his/her own as we go through the month.

Okay. I think what we should do now is continue gathering some references and start brainstorming the characters. You can go ahead and pick the race, gender, and class you want, however you want, and post it here. Me, I'm going to use a randomizer (don't have die) or a hat. Either way, I'm going for random combos. And you can come up with a character background, but don't over-think it. Keep it to pretty simple things that can be carried over visually. Things like overall personality are good; a shy, unsure barbarian (is there such a thing?) will hold himself differently than a confident one. Maybe why and how s/he uses their chosen weapons, and that may result in scars from battles. Have fun, but don't over do it.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Thanks
    Okay, did some randomized combinations and chose from these to get two general characters. Yes, that's right, two; we have to do at least three characters for the team, so the option is open for each of us to do more than one if you're willing and have time. However, I am only guaranteeing the first character; the second is in case I have time after polishing the primary choice enough to do another.

1. Female half-orc ranger
    2. male tiefling fighter

Greenbd mentioned coming up with a backstory for the characters. I think we should do that a little with the overall communities the characters come from. You have the good one, and the evil one is where certain aspects went the other twisted and dark way.

Both worlds are going to be northern and cold most of the year, that's a given I think we've all decided on. Other than that, they can differ greatly. Maybe the good one is very pastoral, mostly farming in the valleys and herding, while the other has a history of being overrun and has developed a military and mercenary aspect to it with little interest in being agricultural (probably because it can't). These are just initial ideas. Please support, counter, propose new things.

Thanks
    Nice progress here I'm thinking of doing elf healer. I don't like the idea of unified backround - it limits us in choice of color and light. I'd rather prefer some frame for all the pictures

Thanks
    I've thought of backstories for a few characters that could provide the good and evil alignments at different times in each of their lives.

1. Clwydd -- Male dwarf warrior, age 39. Drunken brawler who works as a mercenary soldier when he's sober enough to lift his axe. Loosely aligned with bandit clan, but will work for whoever pays him enough coin for another beer. After a robbery attempt goes awry, he winds up seriously injured, and at the mercy of the innkeeper he was trying to rob. However, the innkeeper has compassion on him and nurses him back to health. Clwydd, chastened and humbled by the experience, takes a vow of sobriety and trains to become a paladin. Now, he protects the weak and innocent in service of the good High King.

2. Lir -- Male half-elvish rogue, age 27. An orphaned street urchin from his early days, Lir began an early career as a pickpocket and became a skilled and stealthy bandit. A precocious youth, he fell under the sway of a dark wizard who instructed him in the creation and use of potions and poisons. He gained renown in the underworld as an assassin until the day he was directed, without knowing the target, to kill the woman he loved. When he discovered what he had done, he tried frantically to administer an antidote, but it was too late. Now, he has turned his knowledge of herbalism and alchemy to the production and use of medicine, seeking to heal and not to kill.

3. Gryffig -- Male human scribe, age 54. As keeper of the High King's archives, Gryffig is well respected at court, and contributes faithfully to the kingdom's administration. However, when his apprentice is elevated to a position higher than his own, jealous thoughts begin to fester in his heart. Now, although he has not yet reached the point of open rebellion against the High King, Gryffig is plotting his revenge, and has sought the assistance of Lir's former master to aid him in his quest.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast