Results 1 to 13 of 39
July 31st, 2009 #1
Team CHOW II: Team Sleepless Kats
Welcome to the team thread for the Team CHOW II competition group Team Sleepless Kats.
Members, feel free to post.
final art goes here
Last edited by Asatira; August 26th, 2009 at 08:44 PM.
Hide this ad by registering as a memberJuly 31st, 2009 #2
Okay. I've got a question. Where are you guys, or what's your timezones? It's been pretty quiet here, and I'd kinda like an idea of where everyone is so we can work well. I'm in the CST (GMT -6) timezone.
Maybe we could post some examples of our work so we can get an idea of what our styles look like.
And we might want to try getting together moodboards or ideaboards independently, a kind of visual brainstorming of images along a theme that you may want to use for idea development when we get the concept.
August 1st, 2009 #3
Okay, we've got the rules. I'll just go ahead and quote them from the main Team CHOW II thread.
TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVILDESCRIPTION
This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.
ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]
Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!
The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!
Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.
On to the nitty-gritty:
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
Okay, NOW GO!
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
I'm going to spend some time today working on a moodboard so you can see where my interests and inspiration lie for this one, as well as start some brainstorming. I hope to hear from you soon.
August 2nd, 2009 #4
August 2nd, 2009 #5
Here I go
Some links from deviantart and my last illustration
August 2nd, 2009 #6
No particular preferences. I was going to either do a roll of the die or pull from a hat random combination for whatever I was doing. I may take some time to look up some D&D races and classes to get an idea about them and come up with a lot of options. I'll post what I find, and feel free to look and post as well.
Hopefully my next post will be the moodboard with some inspirations and stuff.
August 2nd, 2009 #7
Two purposes for this. First, showing some of what I have. I don't think I have a consistent style, partially because most of what I have is rarely finished, being mostly studies and such. But here we go.
And links to my dA gallery examples of digitally colored images. Very basic kinds of coloring. Digital is one of my many weaknesses. http://asatira.deviantart.com/art/Ultra-Magna-120919556
Okay, second, posting some things I found for general information. I wanted to get a better idea about the traditional races and classes as developed by Dungeons and Dragons, and build from there. In the prompt and rules, Daestwen gave a very good listing of the general types and there's not that much to add. I got the info from Wikipedia on races and on classes, and from this site with more info that's a little more gamer focused.
I think we'll want to stick to the core races that Daestwen listed and are the core races of D&D. These are humans, dwarves, elves/high elves, halflings, orcs, gnomes, half-elves and half-orcs. If you want to, you could include newer races like tieflings and dragonborn, or fun ones like minotaurs. If you want to know more about the individual aspects, you may want to look at the Wikipedia article on classes; otherwise, the ones Daeswen listed is pretty much it.
August 2nd, 2009 #8
And because I don't know when to quit, here is my moodboard. As you can see, it's a collection of images that inspire you. I've got a mix of WoW images, Russian clothing, D&D artwork, artwork from various artists I like that may be good for inspiration and a couple towards the bottom kinda hint at where I might want to go visually (i.e. very simple and maybe more of an animated feel. )
August 3rd, 2009 #9
This is really annoying..I've accidentally deleted my long comment..I've got a mad day >_< and this is just making more so damn angry I need to torture somebody!!!arrgh!!
I like your lineworks a lot,great drawings,you've got a mood in every one.
I thought..how about calling our team Sleepless Kats? What do you think?My kat didn't give me to sleep well, so it's the first thing that appeared in my mind If you have another idea,feel free - maybe you could think of something more conceptual than this hhh
August 3rd, 2009 #10
As you can see (after I finally fixed it), we are now Sleepless Kats. I suck at coming up with names, so that's a good one to go with. And it's random enough.
Let's see what you've got for your moodboard, and then we can discuss things. I do know we're supposed to keep the weapons to high middle ages/medieval level technology, but we get a little more leeway in regards to other aspects like clothing and setting.
August 3rd, 2009 #11Level Up - All Access
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
- Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you still use another member? Here's some of my fantasy-style work. Please let me know if I can join your team. I'm in Texas, U.S. Central Time. Thanks!
August 3rd, 2009 #12
August 3rd, 2009 #13Level Up - All Access
- Join Date
- Apr 2007
- Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post