Team CHOW II: Team Sleepless Kats

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by Asatira; August 26th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay. I've got a question. Where are you guys, or what's your timezones? It's been pretty quiet here, and I'd kinda like an idea of where everyone is so we can work well. I'm in the CST (GMT -6) timezone.

Maybe we could post some examples of our work so we can get an idea of what our styles look like.

And we might want to try getting together moodboards or ideaboards independently, a kind of visual brainstorming of images along a theme that you may want to use for idea development when we get the concept.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, we've got the rules. I'll just go ahead and quote them from the main Team CHOW II thread.
    TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVIL
    DESCRIPTION

This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]

Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!

The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!

Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.

On to the nitty-gritty:

Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!

Okay, NOW GO!

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
    This means we, so far a team of three, must come up with three unique characters and produce two versions of each character so the total is six images.

I'm going to spend some time today working on a moodboard so you can see where my interests and inspiration lie for this one, as well as start some brainstorming. I hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!Sounds interesting! I'm glad to be in a team! I'm from Israel, Ramatgan,GMT+2 ^_^ Today I'll finish an illustration and post here to introduce myself,cause it seem promising to me Do you have any priorities for the characters already? ^_-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No particular preferences. I was going to either do a roll of the die or pull from a hat random combination for whatever I was doing. I may take some time to look up some D&D races and classes to get an idea about them and come up with a lot of options. I'll post what I find, and feel free to look and post as well.

Hopefully my next post will be the moodboard with some inspirations and stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two purposes for this. First, showing some of what I have. I don't think I have a consistent style, partially because most of what I have is rarely finished, being mostly studies and such. But here we go.

And links to my dA gallery examples of digitally colored images. Very basic kinds of coloring. Digital is one of my many weaknesses. http://asatira.deviantart.com/art/Ultra-Magna-120919556
    http://asatira.deviantart.com/art/PT...flip-117848980

Okay, second, posting some things I found for general information. I wanted to get a better idea about the traditional races and classes as developed by Dungeons and Dragons, and build from there. In the prompt and rules, Daestwen gave a very good listing of the general types and there's not that much to add. I got the info from Wikipedia on races and on classes, and from this site with more info that's a little more gamer focused.

I think we'll want to stick to the core races that Daestwen listed and are the core races of D&D. These are humans, dwarves, elves/high elves, halflings, orcs, gnomes, half-elves and half-orcs. If you want to, you could include newer races like tieflings and dragonborn, or fun ones like minotaurs. If you want to know more about the individual aspects, you may want to look at the Wikipedia article on classes; otherwise, the ones Daeswen listed is pretty much it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And because I don't know when to quit, here is my moodboard. As you can see, it's a collection of images that inspire you. I've got a mix of WoW images, Russian clothing, D&D artwork, artwork from various artists I like that may be good for inspiration and a couple towards the bottom kinda hint at where I might want to go visually (i.e. very simple and maybe more of an animated feel. )

Name:  CHOWII_moodboard1.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  96.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really annoying..I've accidentally deleted my long comment..I've got a mad day >_< and this is just making more so damn angry I need to torture somebody!!!arrgh!!
    I like your lineworks a lot,great drawings,you've got a mood in every one.
    I thought..how about calling our team Sleepless Kats? What do you think?My kat didn't give me to sleep well, so it's the first thing that appeared in my mind If you have another idea,feel free - maybe you could think of something more conceptual than this hhh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As you can see (after I finally fixed it), we are now Sleepless Kats. I suck at coming up with names, so that's a good one to go with. And it's random enough.

Let's see what you've got for your moodboard, and then we can discuss things. I do know we're supposed to keep the weapons to high middle ages/medieval level technology, but we get a little more leeway in regards to other aspects like clothing and setting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can you still use another member? Here's some of my fantasy-style work. Please let me know if I can join your team. I'm in Texas, U.S. Central Time. Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sure. Sent a PM to verify. Get to work on the moodboard homework.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No probs!You're welcome! I like the last work the most! Well done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to keep things going, so could you guys please get your moodboards created by Friday? And there's no reason we can't start talking about the project. For instance, are any of you leaning towards a particular region of the world to base the costumes on? Or a climate type?

I admit, I'm kind of leaning towards colder regions. I think this is partially due to an image I liked of characters set with a winter theme; you can see it towards the bottom of my moodboard. It might be fun to use a season or climate type as a connecting theme.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The new version of the game I'm working on is coming out today - afterwards I'll be more free to work on our team concept. These days are just too tough. I'll try to come up with something till friday
    I don't mind if it would be a cold snowy realm. It gives me a direction. I'd like to think on some fantasy clothing - something I'll imagine,but I'll make a research on it
    I think we can rely on celtic culture,concidering they are a northern type,with their celtic knots designes. What you think?
    Another thing I've been thinking of is how about making some sign of our team and adding it to illustrations - like kinda emblem, that we can put everywhere on our characters or surroundings - on shield,belt,hat,medalion - simply something unic of our team. I'll think of something - you can bring sketches or suggestion for it too

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love Celtic designs. I have a couple books on drawing the knotwork I could scan a little from to help. So, yeah, I think Celtic would be a good starting place. Maybe a little Nordic, like vikings, which also drew on some of those aspects.

I like the idea of an emblem, but not sure if we want all of them to have it. I don't know if I want them to be recognizable as a group. Part of me likes them as individuals. But an emblem to indicate from the same region or community may work. And some people may be more inclined to show affiliation than others, like a cleric or monk more so than a rogue. If we do decide to go with an emblem, I think there should be two versions because we are showing the characters' good and evil versions; it would be more appropriate to have their respective community show it as well. So either similar emblems, or two completely different designs. I'm leaning towards the later.

Overall, kinda either way about the emblem. I like the idea. The final use will fall down to individual preferences.

I'll start looking up more "Northern" and Celtic references.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love designing celtic knots.Unfortunately I forgot the folder of my little research at my work,but I went through my collection of artworks and pick some I think inspirational or appropriate.Here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Me likes! Fun with shields with one source image. These are all great things, a lot more focused than mine (good thing, IMO). Definitely helping to get some ideas of where we can start from and what's been done.

Hey, greenbd! Where are you?! I know I have too much free time to keep poking, but start saying stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a big collection of reference material.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. A lot of costume reference there. So, greendb, what are some directions you want to go with this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the suggestions of a snowy climate and Celtic motifs as unifying design elements. Looking at the previous Team CHOW entries, I was also wondering about how we should do the final arrangement of the characters--each good & evil pair together, or the good on one side and the bad on the other? I think I'd favor the latter. Also, should we plan on doing some sort of single environment to display them all in, or just break them all out as separate vignettes? Finally, how should we divide the character design work? Do we each take a good & evil pair, or mix it up more? Do we share in the drawing process, with one person setting up the basic character and another adding more details?

I think it will also help our effort to develop some back story for the characters--particularly if we can come up with a reason why there's a good and a bad version of each.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am thinking it would be best and easiest to each do both versions of a character. For now, I wouldn't worry about how they're going to be presented in the end too much. A background for the group image(s) would be nice, but a number of teams did not have them. Less of a requirement for the individual vignettes, unless, for some reason, they're interacting with the background. I am open to doing the final arrangement as groups, the most straightforward way to do it. If any of us feels strong enough with environments, then he or she can do a background on his/her own as we go through the month.

Okay. I think what we should do now is continue gathering some references and start brainstorming the characters. You can go ahead and pick the race, gender, and class you want, however you want, and post it here. Me, I'm going to use a randomizer (don't have die) or a hat. Either way, I'm going for random combos. And you can come up with a character background, but don't over-think it. Keep it to pretty simple things that can be carried over visually. Things like overall personality are good; a shy, unsure barbarian (is there such a thing?) will hold himself differently than a confident one. Maybe why and how s/he uses their chosen weapons, and that may result in scars from battles. Have fun, but don't over do it.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, did some randomized combinations and chose from these to get two general characters. Yes, that's right, two; we have to do at least three characters for the team, so the option is open for each of us to do more than one if you're willing and have time. However, I am only guaranteeing the first character; the second is in case I have time after polishing the primary choice enough to do another.

1. Female half-orc ranger
    2. male tiefling fighter

Greenbd mentioned coming up with a backstory for the characters. I think we should do that a little with the overall communities the characters come from. You have the good one, and the evil one is where certain aspects went the other twisted and dark way.

Both worlds are going to be northern and cold most of the year, that's a given I think we've all decided on. Other than that, they can differ greatly. Maybe the good one is very pastoral, mostly farming in the valleys and herding, while the other has a history of being overrun and has developed a military and mercenary aspect to it with little interest in being agricultural (probably because it can't). These are just initial ideas. Please support, counter, propose new things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice progress here I'm thinking of doing elf healer. I don't like the idea of unified backround - it limits us in choice of color and light. I'd rather prefer some frame for all the pictures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've thought of backstories for a few characters that could provide the good and evil alignments at different times in each of their lives.

1. Clwydd -- Male dwarf warrior, age 39. Drunken brawler who works as a mercenary soldier when he's sober enough to lift his axe. Loosely aligned with bandit clan, but will work for whoever pays him enough coin for another beer. After a robbery attempt goes awry, he winds up seriously injured, and at the mercy of the innkeeper he was trying to rob. However, the innkeeper has compassion on him and nurses him back to health. Clwydd, chastened and humbled by the experience, takes a vow of sobriety and trains to become a paladin. Now, he protects the weak and innocent in service of the good High King.

2. Lir -- Male half-elvish rogue, age 27. An orphaned street urchin from his early days, Lir began an early career as a pickpocket and became a skilled and stealthy bandit. A precocious youth, he fell under the sway of a dark wizard who instructed him in the creation and use of potions and poisons. He gained renown in the underworld as an assassin until the day he was directed, without knowing the target, to kill the woman he loved. When he discovered what he had done, he tried frantically to administer an antidote, but it was too late. Now, he has turned his knowledge of herbalism and alchemy to the production and use of medicine, seeking to heal and not to kill.

3. Gryffig -- Male human scribe, age 54. As keeper of the High King's archives, Gryffig is well respected at court, and contributes faithfully to the kingdom's administration. However, when his apprentice is elevated to a position higher than his own, jealous thoughts begin to fester in his heart. Now, although he has not yet reached the point of open rebellion against the High King, Gryffig is plotting his revenge, and has sought the assistance of Lir's former master to aid him in his quest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my preliminary WIP character sheet for Lir, the Rogue to Healer character.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just as a heads-up, I'm going to be on vacation from 11-18 August (next Tuesday through the following one), so I probably won't be drawing much on the computer during that time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    greenbd: That's all right. If you can drop by every now and then to add to the conversation, try to. And you don't have to limit drawing to the computer. You have a very good start, but he doesn't have much to distinguish him. Hard to put my finger on it, but the best I can say is there's not much to show he's a healer. What would a healer carry?

Maybe try some silhouettes (which I'm going to do over the next couple days with my half-orc). It helps to make a character more distinct and easy to recognize from a crowd.

all: Do we want to start considering the style we want to lean towards? Or anything to visually connect them, like the emblem that was mentioned before? This end results have to look like they were designed with a team, and those help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys!Unfortunately I've got very sick - so I can't spent much time at computer - I'm starting to feel very bad. So I've been sketching some time at my sketchbook - not some exact characters,but just to get the feeling of what I want So here are some poor scans. First I've thought of healer, then of a blind elf girl foreteller,then warrior type.
    And I've made a sketch for emblem - just need to work on it some more digitally - I'll try to post it tomorrow.
    greenbd - Nice concept and good thinking I like your low saturated palette. And great work on his face. Clothes could use some improvements though - like he's got some shoulders armor thing - so maybe you'd think of defence at some other places too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.