Team Chow II: Team Supreme

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow II: Team Supreme

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So it looks like our first ideas are going to be heading towards either 1930s or 18th Century France... not for sure which, if either, but here's some references to get the juices flowing.

First some images from 18th Century France:

Also, here is a blog I stumbled upon devoted entirely to 18th Century French costumes. There's a ton of inspiring stuff on there. Pretty lucky find if I may say so.

Here are some images set in the 1930s.

Last edited by Ian Barker; August 1st, 2009 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are the offical rules, just so we can easily keep them in mind when in this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
    This means we need to create 3 characters, and make two full bodied portraits for each, one good and one evil. We are supposed to stay close to High Fantasy, but a little genre blurring is allowed. I think there are definitely some things from 18th Century France that could be incorperated. I don't think I've ever seen orcs/elves/dwarves in French costumes, so that would be a good way to seperate ourselves from the crowd. 1930s would be a lot more dificult, but if there are any ideas, post' em.

Last edited by Ian Barker; August 1st, 2009 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I love the idea of a female rogue.

I'm gonna do some drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gabyness For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was just thinking about whether it would be better to make a story, palette, etc. first or to just start drawing characters, and I think I agree DeeLock, for this it'd probably be best to just start drawing and see what comes up. Hopefully we'll find things in our drawings that will inspire a story and mood and such.

Although, since most of these references depict people with high social status, it'd probably be a good idea to focus our characters in that area, although having a lower status character would add some good variety (maybe that rogue female).

Anyways, time to get to work.

Last edited by Ian Barker; August 1st, 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been busy:

Attached Images Attached Images    

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeLock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, good work!

I think it'd be cool if that rogue female you were talking about wore some kind of cool mask like those you found, especially the feather one. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Team Thundercats is doing 18th Century France too.

What's weird is that they were also talking about doing 1930's before the brief came out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o_O*

Oh well, that's okay. I imagine we'll both end up with something pretty different anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketches for female theif:

Anyone have ideas for other characters?

We need 3.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeLock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crit: I think as a thief it would be hard for her to move quickly in that outfit. Also, she probably wouldn't be wearing high end clothing like that anyways. Also remember that this is supposed to stay somewhat in the realm of high fantasy, so try to blend the two genres.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    uhmm..not really familiar with the high fantasy sorta thing but i was thinking n a dwarf as a priest? i dunno?
    needa think more..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DefiledVisions has just joined our team! This means we need to come up with one extra character. Honestly I was wanting to do an extra one anyways. More to come later today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwarven Cleric is a bit of a cliche. Try thinking about mixing up the method of healing and the race.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update on the design:

This a better direction?

23. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeLock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 666 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys, Thanks for leting me join in. Really great start you've got here!

I'm wondering, since the topic is one of my favorite themes.. basically all I do is high fantasy stuff Have you decided on which characters to do allready? I guess we're not allowed to do like 8 different kinds of priests or so?

in other words...

1. Which characterclasses/races have allready been decided on to make?

2. 8 characters, does that mean that the team together is supposed to come up with atleast 8 different characters? since we're 5 this means, some of uss can make 2 characters or even 3 if we want, while others stick with 1.. or Do we all design 3 characters each? (coolest imo)

3. incorporation 1800th century french fashion is a really cool idea, is that the style we're sticking to? just need to have that clear before I get sketching. Also having a style like this can easily make it more steampunk than fantasy. I think the making the archetype clear is most important, that it instantly is a warrior in the viwers eyes, or a spellcaster. Something in style with the reference image Daestwen posted, yet with some 1800th century influence?

Hmm.. not sure what else im wondering about would love to know what you have decided on making.. is it cool if I start with a druid-type character? race not decided yet.

Do what you love ~ Love what you do
    Sketchbook|Blog|DeviantArt

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey DefiledVisions! Welcome to the team!

In response to a couple of questions you have.

We haven't decided on every type of character that we are going to do. It's been a little more free-form so far and we're all brainstorming ideas on different characters. So far I'm working on a female rogue, it looks like gaby is working on some sort of cleric...hmm...

Maybe we should spend some time talking about characters. It would add a lot to the cohesion of the final product. I have a couple of ideas but I'm not sure what everyone is working on individually.

In regards to your other questions, we only need 4 characters in all but we need to do two different variations of them, one good, one evil.

I think that the style we have picked out is pretty set in stone but it's pretty broad, ranging from pirates to nobles.

A druid is fine by me, cool idea.

I have a few ideas for more characters but we only need 4 so I'll just list them, I'm open to do anything really but I think we should decide as a whole what the group wants to do.

My ideas:

Human or Elven Female Rogue
    Orc or Dwarven Male Pirate (fighter)
    Not sure on race or gender but Upper Class Sorcerer
    Cleric is good too, I like the idea of him being Roman Catholic

26. The Following User Says Thank You to DeeLock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Thanks for the clarification! I understand now.. 8 portraits, 1 good and one bad of each character? so 4 characters with 2 portraits of each, allright

Cool setup so far.. female rogues are allways welcome .. Pirate! fits really in with the 1800th century incorporation... Though we should have a discussion about characters. Since we don't have to think in actualy adventure terms, or a real in-game working setup, anything is available.

regarding the druid, when considering the style, it won't really be easy. An alchemist could also count as a sorcerer class.. I'll try to post some of the ideas I have later.

Last edited by DefiledVisions; August 2nd, 2009 at 05:51 PM.

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep in mind that if there are multiple races, they may not all have the same aesthetic theme. There should be something of that 1800s look throughout, but it may surface more evidently in some races than others.

I think your latest sketch is definitely an improvement, DeeLock. I'd like to see what she looks like with one of those masks you posted earlier.

I'm working on a couple characters right now, both a brute type character (a made up race, vaguely feline looking), and a human female thief. I know you're already working on that DeeLock, but maybe we could combine their best parts, or maybe use different parts for the good and evil versions. I think I may try some kind of demon cleric or something next.

Bad news though: the computer I have Photoshop on got a nasty virus that I'm not sure how to get rid of. It's going to be a little more difficult for me to post now, but I'll do what I can to get my sketches on here as soon as possible. I'm looking forward to getting feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys
    i think that maybe deciding on what kinda chars were gunna design first would be a good idea so were not all over the place
    i guess?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys I just posted basically the same thing over at Thundercats thread but Daestwen said some pretty specific stuff in the main thread about this being high fantasy and although Wikipedia doesnt give it a time period she said it was late dark to early middle ages. This was posted specifically in response to someone's question about firearms, which she said were not allowed. Unfortunately the middle ages end around the 16th century and I would hate to see you guys put a lot of work into an 18th century concept and get screwed because of it. Again I could be wrong about this and I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JessiBean View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, dubious... I've asked for clarification, but I did read the wiki before hand and it says high fantasy is everything from LOTR to CS Lewis to His Dark Materials, and those are all in wildly different time frames. So based on the definition of High Fantasy I think we're kosher, and the brief doesn't specify a time period.
    I wouldn't worry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We're not doing straight up 1800s France anyways (I don't think), we're just using it as inspiration to create a unique spin on high fantasy.

hey guys
    i think that maybe deciding on what kinda chars were gunna design first would be a good idea so were not all over the place
    i guess?
    It might be a bad idea to immediately pidgeon hole ourselves right off the bat. Let's continue to draw for a bit more, and then we can whittle away from the pile into something that is interesting and fairly cohesive.

Oh, and computer fixed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the sketches I did. The big guy is supposed to be a new race. I wanted to give him a little bit of a feline look. This is more of a base, I could add accessories and stuff. The girl is my take on the female rogue/thief/pirate. I like how her head turned out, although her body is a bit generic right now, and almost looks more Spanish, which could be okay depending on where she's from. I'm not sure if she should have pants or a skirt... and I got lazy with the pattern there.

Anyways, here's what I was thinking for some specifics on the big guy: Among this race can be found the ultimate warriors, reknowned in strength, agility and speed. Yet, they have never been organized or interested enough to try and claim any global power; they are content to serve others. Once one has begun to work with a master or partner, they become fiercly loyal and defensive. Once attached, they often become blinded to the moral standing of their master or partner. However, they are generally well aprecciated for their own moral standing when on their own.

Not sure where I'm going with that, it's just what I was thinking as I drew it. Feedback?

Attached Images Attached Images  

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed! Some more brainstorming before deciding on what to stick with. The real problem in my eyes is that we're 5 and the final only calls for 8 images. 10 images would give each of uss a character to do. Oh, and nice that the computer works again

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think that there's a rule against doing an extra character, but I'll ask.

EDIT: The rules say "at least", so we could do one more. It's cool if everyone does their own, but I want to make sure that no on gets too attached, since in the end we should all contribute to each character a little. One person may come up with the idea, but it may be someone else's pose or accessories that end up in the final version.

Also I think it'd be cool to come up with stories about why there are good and evil versions of the characters.

Last edited by Ian Barker; August 3rd, 2009 at 07:51 AM.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Liffey View Post
    Here's the sketches I did. The big guy is supposed to be a new race. I wanted to give him a little bit of a feline look. This is more of a base, I could add accessories and stuff. The girl is my take on the female rogue/thief/pirate. I like how her head turned out, although her body is a bit generic right now, and almost looks more Spanish, which could be okay depending on where she's from. I'm not sure if she should have pants or a skirt... and I got lazy with the pattern there.

Anyways, here's what I was thinking for some specifics on the big guy: Among this race can be found the ultimate warriors, reknowned in strength, agility and speed. Yet, they have never been organized or interested enough to try and claim any global power; they are content to serve others. Once one has begun to work with a master or partner, they become fiercly loyal and defensive. Once attached, they often become blinded to the moral standing of their master or partner. However, they are generally well aprecciated for their own moral standing when on their own.

Not sure where I'm going with that, it's just what I was thinking as I drew it. Feedback?
    Sweet sketch! I like the design of the big guy, I somehow get a feeling that he is one of those who got lost in the woods as a kid and got raised by bears or wolfs.. haha, maybe that could be something to build him around?
    He looks like a strong warrior, some badass gear and we have one hell of a fighter, the other teams don't stand a chance 1 to 1

Is the rogue his partner? An idea just came to me, if the druid concept is chosen as one of the 4.. the easiest would be if we were to do 5 characters since we're 5 people.. anyway, on topic, he could be the partner, taken that he is one of those primal humans. This is just a thought, but he was raised by bears or something, really strong and stuff.. no human contact, met the druid in the woods, became close friends. Druid taught him how to read and stuff, and since he can speak with animals they also communicate in other ways etc.
    .. and as evil partners they could look really badass with lots of cool items, like bear heads and some classy 18th century accessories etc.

The rogue reads more as a bar-maid to me.. I think some more slender clothing would do it. Since rogues tend to work silently and secretive, a dress is not the best to wear, more like cat-woman.
    As for my own ideas.. Will have some sketches later this evening.

Nice work so far!

Check out
    FrozZt
    ManMadeGod
    Mokinzi
    Ryn
    Spaggen
    TwoListen
    UmpaArt

39. The Following User Says Thank You to DefiledVisions For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.