Art Blockkkk
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Art Blockkkk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Art Blockkkk

My problem has been inconsistency... I stop drawing for lengthy periods of time and one day I suddenly want to start drawing again and I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have to get serious now however since I'm planning on applying for a 4 year Illustration course. I've developed several bad habits oh say like, not keep a regular sketchbook. I honestly dont even know where to start. I have no idea what to sketch.
    Also, I have problem with executing my ideas on medium seems like as well... My thoughts are always rapid and scattered.... so anyone have any suggestions or remedies? Or share similar experiences?

Minds are like parachutes. Just because you've lost yours doesn't mean you can borrow mine.

sketchthread | papermomo.net
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had that issue as well but I blame that on how disorganized I was (and still am) and how I am a bit embarrassed when people look over my shoulder. Now i'm like, eh who cares and draw and just observe when I feel like it. Laziness is my number one issue now as I really love to sleep.

As for art block, yea it happens. But just draw whatever and if it sucks that's fine. I really like the f* yea thread that is rated five stars here. Keeping that positive attitude really helps.

Current Status:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mellisimo,

First of all I want to tell you that many people can inspire you, but the main influence will have to be you yourself. If you arenít motivated to do what you want to do then thinking that you want to be an artist is only some path you may not need to take.

Either you love ART and want to create ( itís in your blood) or your one of the thousands that will come here join up and in six months be gone.

Iíve seen lots of post here from folks saying ď Iím an artist but I need someone to inspire me every dayĒ to
    ď Iíve lost my mo-joÖÖhow do I draw?Ē

I canít see how CA is going to help these people. Either they want to do it and are looking for ways to improve or they are just blowing smoke. Time will weed out the non believers.

Start with seeing the images in your head that you want to draw (or paint) and reproduce them as accurately as you can. Donít worry, there will be plenty of advice telling you if you are on course.

The road to achieving skills and knowledge is very bumpy. Only the devoted will reach itís end.

Sorry about using code on you but if you understandÖ.then youíll understand!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bruce Pluto For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice post Bruce.

I find a couple of things help me achieve a pretty steady work flow.

Firstly I have a pretty set routine in terms of workspace and time when I work. Call it a compulsion but I can never create if my workspace is cluttered or messy. So if I happen to have some trash lying about I'll spend a few minutes cleaning up the area to create a nice environment to work in. Grab a cup of coffee or beverage, turn on some tunes and I'm almost ready to go. In my case, between work, girlfriends, exercise, and other daily activities. It's important to make time to create. So every night around the same time I'll sit down to paint something. So these tips are essential when you find yourself in situation where you can't drop everything and paint.

Secondly, if my ideas happen to be lacking or I'm just not that inspired I'll spend a few minutes browsing CA at some 5 star threads. Typically a lot of "oohs and ahhhs" follow, but I also am actively trying to dissect the images in my mind. Asking questions like, "how did he/she achieve this?" or "what was his/her thoughts behind doing that." then I find myself saying, "Hey I should try that!"

Finally, in terms of subject matter or what to paint. I usually work on types of pieces in sets. For example right now I have been doing mostly black and white portraits as a means of studying anatomy and values. A while back since I needed work on them, I was doing a lot of enviros, etc. Point being if you continue to paint the same thing over and over you will become bored. Mix it up, at first it may be a bit uncomfortable and frustrating, but if you work your way through it the results will be worth it. I suspect you will see your completed successful image as a new "tool in your arsenal" and want to do more.

If you still find yourself having trouble with specifics, The weekly challenges here on CA are great ways to get going. Think of them like an assignment you had to do for class. You may not want to paint a picture of "x" for this weeks CHOW, but treat it like you have to, and do some research into the subject and ask yourself, "How would I interpret "x".

All told its a matter of if you want to. It's easy to turn away from the computer and flip the TV on, resist this temptation and push yourself to achieve something. When the ideas aren't flowing theres always something you could be drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by melissimo View Post
    My problem has been inconsistency... I stop drawing for lengthy periods of time and one day I suddenly want to start drawing again and I have absolutely no idea where to start. I have to get serious now however since I'm planning on applying for a 4 year Illustration course. I've developed several bad habits oh say like, not keep a regular sketchbook. I honestly dont even know where to start. I have no idea what to sketch.
    Also, I have problem with executing my ideas on medium seems like as well... My thoughts are always rapid and scattered.... so anyone have any suggestions or remedies? Or share similar experiences?
    Well firstly.. the feeling of not knowing where to start stems from not drawing often enough.. trust me.. Ive been through it. When you only draw once in a while.. you feel like you have no idea what to do. If you start drawing lets say 5 hours a day.. you will find that you have tooo many things to draw and not enough time.. essentially the opposite problem will occur, As you draw more and more.. you will encounter more and more problems that need fixing and learning.. you will have more and more fun.. you will want to create more because you will be better at it. So the secret to drawing better.. is drawing.. all the time. I find that the worst thing I do as a growing artist is skipping a day of drawing.. It puts me in a bad mood.. and just messes up my flow. It also makes its frustrating to get started again. So the best advice I can give you is... DRAW!!!!!!

"We are the music makers... and we are the dreamers of dreams."

MY SKETCHBOOK!

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, sorry gotta plug reading Art & Fear here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep the sketchbook, sketch what you see

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    T I M, biggjoe5790, Whisper Pntr, Arshes Nei and Rinthe.….

Hey guys!!

T I M : I hate to say it but my workspace is very unorganized. I do wish I would keep it better like you do. The only thing I can say in my defense is that it’s not in the house. All the painting I do is outside in my 12x20 workshop. Also, I agree that it’s great to spend a little time every day ( or almost every day) being a little creative. It does relieve a considerable amount of stress and I know co-workers that do the same thing playing baseball.

Another thing I am in total agreement with is that if someone finds themselves uninspired coming to CA will help. How can someone come here and not want to pick up a pencil or brush once seeing all the incredible stuff?

Biggjoe5790: You are totally right! Exercising the creative side of the brain can only help to make the images ones sees in their mind only become better and more frequent. If I lay around a few weeks ( which I’ve done) and do not pick up a pencil or brush then I’m only hurting myself. People that create art can get some really amazing pictures in their head but if they don’t practice what they see then the gap between brain and hand becomes that much wider……which results in frustration and maybe kicking your dog ( < just jokin with that last thing, we have cats)

I hope that melissimo sees that if art is in the future for them it’s importance will have to be moved up the ladder of things that they want to do.

Bruce

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.