Doctor's warn: Avoid GM foods
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Doctor's warn: Avoid GM foods

I've been watching this guys videos today. HEaps of useful nutritional and fitness information all backed by trustworthy sources. I encourage everyone to check out his other videos too, there's alot of information covered, and also highlights the behind-closed-doors manipulation that goes on with the marketing of so called 'healthy' foods.
    I feel it is important to post this here even though it's an art forum because good health and longevity is important ofr any artist because the longer and healthier we live the more time we can put into developing our artistic skills.

Anyway here's a few of the vids-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam Sykes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't like posting when I am sleepy but all this sounds like the typical Chemophobia
    It is most often used to describe the assumption that "chemicals" are bad and "natural" things are good. General chemophobia derives from a misunderstanding of science, and is a form of technophobia and fear of the unknown.
    As well as a general fear of genetic engineering. Some of this is along the same line as vaccine deniers.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I bet those kids in poor country wouldn't give a flying fuck if their food was GM or not.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyskoa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I don't like posting when I am sleepy but all this sounds like the typical Chemophobia

As well as a general fear of genetic engineering. Some of this is along the same line as vaccine deniers.
    I think actually knowing about science is a very good reason to avoid chemical induced foods.

"Master storytellers never explain. They do the hard, painfully creative thing-- they dramatize"

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a little more worried about poisoning myself by eating a poorly balanced diet than I am about eating genetically modified foods. More people die of heart disease than than of cancer. I don't buy into this diet food shit, though. People need carbohydrates, salts and fats. I'm lucky because I grew up with an awesome mum with degrees in nutrition and microbiology who taught me how to eat well, but I did kind of rebel when I went through high school and ate shitty food all of the time that made me feel sick. Now, I just like my food fresh and well-balanced.

I think fears about the food industry are a little exaggerated, since it is now regulated. However, call me a chemophobe if you want, but I am still a little worried about all of the junk that goes into my makeup, shampoos and soaps. Makeup and beauty products enjoy little to no regulation, and I feel great to know that I'm slathering some of the same ingredients in my paints(titanium white, chromium oxide) onto my face in my foundation every morning.

-----------------------------------------------------
    portfolio=ORANGEMANTIS.COM
    Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Preach all you want, but I think genetically modified foods are a staple for the starving artist. Hotdogs, KD, and ramen for the win. The sooner this shit kills me, the sooner my art will actually be worth something. Now that I think about it, maybe I'll just eat a tube of flake white for breakfast.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to romance For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ummm, you do realize that we've been breeding crops for centuries? And that is just a slower version of genetic modification in a lab?

If you have the time and inclination, by all means go out into the woods to hunt down wild strawberries. Be aware, they're about the size of your pinky nail.

Otherwise, you're eating modified food.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MiniGoth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can stay away from anything, if you like. Heck, listen to the FDA during the eighties and ninties:
    "Eggs are bad."
    "Eggs are good"
    "Eggs are bad."
    ad nauseum!!!

Look, if this stuff is going to kill you...you are going to die, period!!! As MinGoth stated, very correctly, we've been doing it for centuries. Drought resistent wheat, bigger strawberries, various trains of rice, etc. The list is too hue to even contemplate...so, I don't.

I try to eat right: Fruits, veggies, meat, dairy, etc. The 4 basic food groups. Hey, it worked for my greatgrandmother, and she lived to 110. I'm not arguing with a track record like that. After all, there's a lot of people living well into their 90s now, and we all eat the same stuff. So...you tell me who's right?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Katfayheirti View Post
    I'm a little more worried about poisoning myself by eating a poorly balanced diet than I am about eating genetically modified foods. More people die of heart disease than than of cancer. I don't buy into this diet food shit, though. People need carbohydrates, salts and fats.
    QFA

I cringe when I hear people say "Fat is bad for you." What? Fat is what? Without fat you die. It's that simple.

Similarly this nonsense of micro-analysing each molecule in food and hyping up the fact that a certain additive may increase your risk of cancer by 1 chance in 100,000 by the time you're 103.

I love the way the media reports this shit, too. They've found many ways to sensationalise the facts whilst still representing them accurately. The favourite method is the use of percentage increase figures -

For example, say a particular substance in food increases the risk of you getting a certain type of cancer from 2 in 10,000 to 3 in 10,0000. Stated like that, it's negligable. The risk has increased from fuck all to fuck all.

The media headline, however, is "Substance X increases cancer risk by 50%!" Which is true, because the risk has increased from 2 to 3, which is an increase of 50%. The fact that it's completely and utterly irrelevant to anybody is ignored in favour of selling papers. And, of course, people take one look and panic. Which sells more papers.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Baron Impossible View Post
    QFA

The media headline, however, is "Substance X increases cancer risk by 50%!" Which is true, because the risk has increased from 2 to 3, which is an increase of 50%. The fact that it's completely and utterly irrelevant to anybody is ignored in favour of selling papers. And, of course, people take one look and panic. Which sells more papers.
    agh! I know! That drives me crazy too! My other pet peeve is when articles use comparisons that are impossible to compare without doing conversions. For instance, they'll say something like 'Seven out of every eight Americans suffer from X, while only 70% suffer from y."

Also, yes. I think the people who insist that it's healthy to try to completely eliminate fats, sugars, or other things from their diets are totally nuts...

Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read on USAtoday that tanning beds have officially been categorized as deadly as mustard gas.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 417 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Gray View Post
    I read on USAtoday that tanning beds have officially been categorized as deadly as mustard gas.
    Great, now I cant get the image of tanning beds rolling into trenches and crushing WWI era soldiers out of my head.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hookswords For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Hookswords View Post
    Great, now I cant get the image of tanning beds rolling into trenches and crushing WWI era soldiers out of my head.
    Hmm.. Sounds like a Daily Sketch Group project.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to phoric For This Useful Post:

drd

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    Ummm, you do realize that we've been breeding crops for centuries? And that is just a slower version of genetic modification in a lab?

If you have the time and inclination, by all means go out into the woods to hunt down wild strawberries. Be aware, they're about the size of your pinky nail.

Correct. Other examples are bananas and corn. Go look up their "original" forms, they were hideous. We humans have been manipulating our food crops almost as soon as we discovered agriculture.

But that being said, we should always test our food for safety, which we do. Also, go check out some articles where "organic" crops are no more nutritious than non-organically produced crops.

As others have pointed out, moderation and balance is the key here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im more worried about the damage this food cause to the ecosystem than the unproove damage this food cause to humans.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Clodioz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting points of view.
    It seems one of the main concerns about GM foods is those that are engineered to produce their own pesticides. Although eating this food wouldnt kill you instantly, the toxins do build up in your body and will probably shorten your lifespan significantly.

Alot of the concerns generated about GM foods is the simple fact there has been no long term testing on humans. We are the guinea pigs. I could never be sure that all GM foods are bad or good. I'm sure by chance they have developed something that is beneficial, but to alter something from it's natural state so suddenly without making it adapt over generations as they did in the past I would assume it would cause problems.

Regarding fats. Fats are generally okay, in fact it is essential for good health to consume fats. Now the problem with fats usually lies with the consumption of meat. This is because fats store toxins and other nasties. Now if you ate beef from a commerically farmed cow that was treated with bovine hormones, antibiotics and fed absolute crap, a huge amount of the bad stuff would end up in the meat but mainly in the fat. So you eat the fat and you get the bad stuff inside you. You could avoid this by sourcing where your meat comes from, and it is beneficial to look for the organic produce in this regard. This applies significantly for eggs as well, as battery hens are treated like junkies, locked in a cage.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Cam Sykes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CamSyko View Post

Regarding fats. Fats are generally okay, in fact it is essential for good health to consume fats. Now the problem with fats usually lies with the consumption of meat. This is because fats store toxins and other nasties. Now if you ate beef from a commerically farmed cow that was treated with bovine hormones, antibiotics and fed absolute crap, a huge amount of the bad stuff would end up in the meat but mainly in the fat. So you eat the fat and you get the bad stuff inside you. You could avoid this by sourcing where your meat comes from, and it is beneficial to look for the organic produce in this regard. This applies significantly for eggs as well, as battery hens are treated like junkies, locked in a cage.
    Did you ever read 'The Omnivore's Dilemma' by Michael Pollan? I just finished it, and all of this sounds very familiar.

Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post

It is possible to do things with GM that would be impossible with traditional breeding. Combining traits from completely separate species, say. And certain uses of GM are certainly short sighted and potentially dangerous (i.e. Round Up Ready, which resulted in herbicide resistant weeds, forcing farmers to use even harsher herbicides with no real benefit).

However, going from their to a blanket denouncement of all GM foods is foolish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Given that crops are pollinated (or cross-pollinated) by insects and that insects fly over fences, I doubt if we could guarantee that anybody isn't eating GM food any more. Don't want to scare ya, but.....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's a complex topic. I remember reading a scientific experiment in where one group of mice were fed GM corn and the other group of mice ate regular corn, and the mice that ate GM ended up having problems. When you mess with genes (adding to or subtracting from the genome), you can inadvertently produce undesired results that might not be readily apparent (like toxic chemicals or less nutrition). Corn and most garden vegetables have been genetic modified through selective breedings over generations, but introducing new alien genes from another species is very recent. I would say that a majority of GM food pose very little or no risk, but caution should be used. If some animal or plant has been engineered to produce more protein or nutrient, probably ok, but to produce insecticide? It is playing around with fire, and like Alesoun said ^^, GM variants will find way into normal species and cause unpredictable results.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something to think about:

The Naturalistic Fallacy

IKV Nexis is offline Reality, a concept better viewed stoned. Level 5 Gladiator: Myrmillo
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GM food is bad?! Hay! I only serve the best snacks when I host my Dungeons and Dragons game!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GM food safety is a red herring. The real danger is from patents.

The OP should get rid of all videos but the last one.

watch that last one. That's the issue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still unsure how exactlly GM foods could harm people? I understand people are worried they have more pesticides in them because they are more resistant, or even producing small levels of toxins accidentally. But I'v met tons of people who just think anything GM is going to mutate in their stomachs or poison them outright. Stupid people, fair enough, but still, whats the danger actually ment to be?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseaker View Post
    I'm still unsure how exactlly GM foods could harm people? ...whats the danger actually meant to be?
    food safety is a sham battle meant to distract from the real assault - the IP issues. Watch the last video about the farmer committing suicide.

chriskot is offline non-dishwasher safe, keep away from open flame Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have loads of counterclaims I could make about GM foods, but for now I'd like to talk about his claims about fluoride, since nobody else really is. Warning: Science.

The statement that "Fluoride is more poisonous than lead" is not necessarily false, but definitely misleading. To quote Wikipedia, "Fluoride-containing compounds are so diverse that it is not possible to generalize on their toxicity, which depends on their reactivity and structure, and in the case of salts, their solubility and ability to release fluoride ions." Sodium flouride, a common fluoride salt and one of the more commonly used chemicals to fluoridate water, has an accepted lethal dose of 28 mg per kg of body mass. Assuming that this is average for a fluoride compound and that your municipal water uses the absolute highest level of fluoride accepted as safe by the World Health Organization (1 milligram per litre), you would still need to drink 2240 litres within a relatively short period of time to die of fluoride poisoning. In other words, its nearly impossible to die of fluoride poisoning from tap water. The American Dental Association figured in 2005 that the average person over the age of 19 gets about 3.5 milligrams of fluoride per day, which, by my rough calculations, works out to less than a hundredth of the amount required to fatally poison a newborn child.

Concerning the bit about fluoride being connected to hip injuries, that part is actually plausible. Getting relatively high doses of fluorine can cause skeletal fluorosis, which weakens the bones. You would need to take in a lot though. Basically, this shouldn't be too much of a problem if you drink anything other than tap or bottled water, ever.

The part that bothers me most about his rant is when he implies that fluorine doesn't help a person's teeth at all. While the other statements may have been half-truths or just misleading, this one is an outright lie. Fluoride slows the demineralization of enamel and accelerates the rate at which it remineralizes in the early stages of a cavity. I also remember learning something in chemistry class about how the stronger bond formed with the fluorine atom makes the enamel less susceptible to decay, but I can't find any references at the moment so don't quote me on that. The negative impact that fluoride has on the teeth is called dental fluorosis, and this is probably what he's talking about. Dental fluorosis is, actually, quite common, but its effects are mostly cosmetic and usually very mild unless you are getting greater than average levels of fluorine. Most of you probably have it, but at an unnoticeable level.

Even if you did want to take in as little fluoride as possible, tap water may still be the best way to do it, depending on where you live. Many parts of the world (map), including where I live, have greater amounts of fluoride in the groundwater than the WHO deems safe, meaning that my 'fluoridated' tap water here, actually contains less fluoride than the water running through a nearby creek.

Fluoride just like so many other food and drink additives. Great in moderation, bad in excess. As long as you're not drinking tap water with breakfast, lunch, and dinner everyday, you'll be fine.

Last edited by chriskot; August 9th, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆
    SKETCHBOOK | BLOG
    ☆★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★ ☆ ★

38. The Following User Says Thank You to chriskot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I remember watching a documentary about the GMO industry, companies having rights to certain breeds and purposefully manipulating seeds to destroy themselves after one planting in order to force third world countries to continuously depend on foreign companies for their seeds. Can't remember the specifics but there were laws passed and alot of mumbo jumbo in the past that allowed companies to own species of organisms, that's kind of crazy. If one of their "seeds" flew off the bed of a truck and happened to start growing on some farmers property, that farmer gets his ass sued. Imagine if this self destructing seed somehow got out the lab and bred with another compatible breed and starting spreading throughout the world. Messing with plant genes seems a lot more dangerous.

Eating GMOs have been found to cause harm as well.. but I'm sure we all know that by now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hahaha! This topic just reminded me of a particular scene in Dr.Strangelove

We must protect our precious bodily fluids!

Last edited by Katfayheirti; July 31st, 2009 at 10:15 AM.

Blog
    SKETCHBOOK

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Katfayheirti For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.