Sketchbook: Truth Be told - drawing for fun n Love.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Truth Be told - drawing for fun n Love.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Truth Be told - drawing for fun n Love.

Hey, Not exactly new here. I want to improve my skills for myself and maybe make a bit of money along the way once iI get better, id love for anyone and everyone to help me out, any advice or C&C would be and is highly encouraged, I know I have hard times ahead of me, but through out those hard times im sure I will have some entertaining times as well!

I understand this is a process but im willing to improve as much as I can in a 4 month period. Be as strong as you want, A good kick in the a$$ is always encouraged. Thanks, hope to make some friends a long the way as well! =-]

Thing I need to improve on: Line weight, loosening up, stiff poses, hands. If anyone else has any suggestions for me to improve on please give a shout out thanks!

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by JMonsterDesign; August 20th, 2009 at 09:17 PM. Reason: title change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is something I did in my sketchbook a while ago, yeah it needs work but it has some elements I like. I forgot to mention that I will try my best to Update regularly and maintain a strict discipline with my art. I would love to be good at a couple of things before I die, and this is defiantly a fun way of expressing myself.

Last edited by JMonsterDesign; July 29th, 2009 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Before I explain my updates I would like to explain to you guys what I want to accomplish in this sketchbook. In order I need to work on these:

*Line weight and value (I Love good quality lines)

*Anatomy (I am not to bad but I want to be the shiet) =-]

*Rendering in pencil and color

*Hands

*Faces

In general I always draw at lease ONE single character a day in my sketchbook, I feel drawing something in my sketchbook instead of regular paper will make me commit to the drawing and focus much better than rushing things, so everyday I will have a new or edited character up, I will try my best. I will do lots of studies but will not bombard you guys on study after study, im trying to work on my confidence so im also incorporating what im learning in an everyday character!

--------------------------------------------->
    First up is a character I sketched up today in red Line pencil, Its a WIP im working on and I have 1 incomplete stage where im working and studying line work/weight and trying to be more loose in doing so. I am hoping it will get better as I add more to it! Any suggestions would be helpful.

Second and third are just studies sketched up from burne hogarth and Barcsay. I am trying to get better at my studies.

The chick is my first character I inked when i was going to school, I like the way she came out but im sure I can do better. She is suppose to be a female version of Doom from fantastic 4 but I do not think I did the series justice. Got an A for her however. =p

The cyclops is something me and my old professor was working on, the idea is mine but he created the first half than I blue lines the second half in, he was teaching me about line weight and im working on that as you can see, So far im real happy with my lines on this, its old work that needs to be finished for this sketchbook. It is on crappy sketchbook paper. (walmart lol)

Thanks for looking guys, be sure to check back everyday for updates and as always and encouragement or advice is welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate! Thanks for stopping by my SB!

Just want to say I love what I see. Paper and pencils scare me. So this is quite inspiring, and good proportions too! Just a question though. Why are you limited to a 4 month period? Are you just making that a check point?

Again, great start here, looking forward to seeing more from you!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Seage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seage, Thanks man, I Appreciate you returning the favor, this is a fantastic way for me to develop my skills. I made a challenge for myself on my birthday which was on the 27th, I vowed to only draw and watch inspirational movies, this way I can improve much faster without getting burnt out. I will work hard and update every day with a character a day (or an edited character) And learn from The CA Community. I am sure it will go way beyond 2009~! Thanks again for dropping by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Jmonster ! Thanks for the kind words and prodding! I think you are off to a good start and hard work is the KEY to developing your drawing. While what I write below is only my opinion, it is born out by lots of students on this site who are really developing - they are all talented but - to push them to the upper reaches, they work like dogs to develop their drawing skills so that's where my head is when it comes to getting good with drawing ( i have been working at my drawing for 2 years and my first drawings were hideous so you are already in a better position than me! hah! )

In reading your post of priorities you said:

Line weight and value (I Love good quality lines)

*Anatomy (I am not to bad but I want to be the shiet) =-]

*Rendering in pencil and color

*Hands

*Faces

I would say the order is incorrect for your focus out of the gate. If your goal is to become a great character developer/artist/illustrator - you might come at this more effectively by:

1. focusing at first entirely on learning to draw ( charcoal, graphite, pen etc.,) the human figure. This means first understanding the shapes and sizes of things relative to each other ( e.g,. 7-8 heads for a human male, and where those heads fall on the typical man. If at all possible, learning to draw the human figure from life - in person, with a live model is best. a FAR FAR second ( but still super useful is learning from some folks that have figured it out before us. I am not a fan of Hogarth and that doesn't mean he is "wrong" just less about what I want to learn than some others. My big guys for learning the right way are:

Andrew Loomis - you can download so much of his work to practice from and while his work might look simple at first, it is based on a TON of practical knowledge and planning about how the ideal version of woman and man should be. (Loomis I would say is focused on beautiful rhythms and designs of heads, bodies, hands etc.,). George Bridgman - get his "Drawing from LIfe" and really learn by drawing/copying his work what he is doing ( he is a structural draw-er). Vanderpoel's "The Human Figure" is a favorite small life and anatomical book.. Barcsay is a good anatomy book and would also suggest Robert Barrett's figure drawing book. copy them ALL..

So - Anatomy is the next key part of this but at this point in your drawing career - yes it's a career even if we do it just because we love it! - but Anatomy is slightly less important out of the gate than really learning to see and record what you see. Jacob Collins ( a master and a teacher of mine) says: Anatomy is crucial but not in the first year or so of development because students tend to add muscles and bone structures when they are NOT evident ( because they have all these new tools they want to show off!).

Ok so after you do you next, wait for it, 1-2000 figure studies ( whole bodies, heads, hands, feet).. then you can start to worry about finesse things like line-weight and rendering.. there are other important things too - like you say - and understanding value ( much harder than rendering to me) and volume of forms and shadows - how core, cast and form shadows work and how to use shadow shapes to develop your drawings in early stages. how to use a block-in to develop anything you want correctly ( Loomis is the man here ! - and Anthony Ryder's figure drawing book is brilliant in learning the "envelope" of a block in.. he is also one of the most amazing graphite artists I know!).. after all that, you'll want to understand more about edges ( what line weight is really meant to simulate) and how they impact the forms you are drawing ( hard, medium, soft, lost etc.,).. Light decay on a form..

so to net out this long note..

start with

* important: (before figure drawing: understand how to draw a sphere in light/shadow, a book, a box, a drinking glass, a wrinkled sheet)
    -figure drawing - lots and lots of
    - anatomy - lots
    - copying many master drawings
    - finding add'l references here on wc to copy and learn from other students/artists
    - value - understand
    - understanding shadow and light theory
    - edges ( line weight)
    - rendering development
    - developing an understanding of composition, design and harmony - yes the best people on here all use these notions whether implicity or explicitly in their work.. check out Glen Orbik via google.. look up RaileyH here and Aztecfireflower, Chris Sears, Kevin Ferrara, Whitaker and Mike Butkus for excellent artists to learn from!
    then.. color ! a whole new /'nother level of things to understand!!!

Last edited by kevinwueste; July 31st, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kevinwueste For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^what kevinwueste said. Wanted to write something similar, haha. With more studies you'll improve quickly for sure!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mood: Wired and not tired!

Listening to: E.S Posthumus: Pompeii

Current study book: Realistic figure drawing.

---------------------------------

kevinwueste: Hey Kev, thanks so much for visiting my book! You gave me superb advice, I would not expect anything else from an artist of your skill! I look forward to learning a lot from you and the CA community!

Pretty_Angel: Hi, thanks for the suggestion, ill do plenty of studies be sure of it, there is no easy way to become an accomplished artists and so study HOO HA! =-]

-------------------------------------

Hey got lots of figure drawing and gestures a long with some old concepts, the figure "line" drawing are from a book called " realistic figure drawing by Joseph Sheppard. The random incomplete gestures are from the awesome site pose maniacs and were done in 30 seconds... I have some Original concept art im showing as well, still in the works, a personal project of mine. Hope you guys dig it.

I had fun doing these though some are crap, but I do not give a shiet. ill still train through drawing after drawing until I get better. Thanks for looking, and as always crits and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, forgot this one. A quick study of Joseph sheppard's figure drawing. Sorry about the sizes of the images, if I can ill fix later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, good to see you commit on your drawings and studies. Damn, I should make a vow to haha! Yeash, just work your ass off on more studies and anatomy drawings before doing character designs. Maybe do 6 days a week worth of studies and on the 7th day as your reward and challenge then, you do a character design? Do you do life drawings or transportation sketches? Those are handy to get a quick grasp of characters and figure drawings.
    Keep this up man, you let your vow known to the CA community now, so you better keep to your words haha! Peace!

The best things in life are free...!

BLOG
    BLOG SketchBook
    Website
    facebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ImaGEEnation's : Hey bro, thanks for stopping by my book! I appreciate all your advice, to answer your question im trying to do both, what im bout to post is mainly 10 sec, 30 sec figures from the awesome site pose maniacs, I learns o much from doing that shiet! Yeah maybe I will draw a character a week, but I would rather just draw because being an artist is one of the best freedoms in the world, draw whatever you want, anytime you want..so why not?? =-]

-------------------------------------

Question, how the hellz do you get a cold in the middle of summer? I am asking myself that question cause I developed a small cold and its been bogging me down!!! lol I still drew my a$$ off, for me! Can't let a retarded cold slow me down..

Found an awesome tool, anyone else use the sharpie pen? Its awesome, I also love drawing with a cheap ball point pen, bic haha.. Anyways here are some 10 sec, 15 sec and 30 sec figures, a long with my attempt at a light study and figure studies! Thanks for looking! now I go back to art desk. and music..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey JMonster, nice stuff you got here. btw thanks for posting on my sketchbook. it seems you're enjoying yourself on doing 30 sec sketch on posemaniacs.com , i tried it when I'm confused about anatomy and proportions and even foreshortening...but if you want some gestures and flow or some nice doddle of movement, you might also consider drawing in life, ... it's fun. I tried it just have a pencil and sketchpad, what am i saying maybe you did it already! don't stop the freedom.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to nevermindjoker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    J -

thx for stopping by my book. as for words of wisdom... i read up at the top of your page what you wanted to improve on, so here's my 2 cents.

line weight - in most of your posts, your lines are pretty uniform (one weight) are you hold your pencil like you write? (choked up at the top) if so, try holding your pencil as far back as it'll go, and starting your drawing there, you'll find you have much more control of weight variation from there, also when you go to make the bigger strokes, you'll find that they're straighter and more steady.
    anatomy - not much more to say than you're on the right track. posemaniacs is a good source, and i see you're working from Hogarth's Dynamic figure book, or at least a Hogarth book. Its a great book to learn simplifying shapes in the body, i personally prefer Loomis' books as they tend to be more naturalistic in approach. they're worth checking out, you can find a bunch of them here http://www.fineart.sk/index.php?cat=1 all digital in .pdf format i believe. but in the end whichever you like better, run with. but the big thing is practice practice practice.
    Rendering - from the looks of the drawings you're grasping basic lighting and modeling of forms well. keep on this track do studies from life or ref with a singular lightsource i think you're on the right path though. again, practice practice is the word here.
    Hands/Faces - again i think you're on the right track, check hogarth and loomis for proportion canons, and just hammer hammer away, with faces and hands though.. drawing from life rather than ref is going to be much more beneficial.
    i like your character/monsters, but i think you're really just scratching the surface of who/what they are. take one of those and really dive into those details, what the skin is made of? what texture does it have? REALLY think about how those cybernetic limbs work, what kinda metal are those helmets made of etc etc etc. i think not only does doing so lend a lot of detail to the character, but also helps you fall in love with the drawing, and the process along the way, which's a HUGE help if you find yourself getting bored after 15min/ 1/2 hour.

i hope all this helps. feel free to hit me up for more C&C whenever you like...

-RM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comment in my sb.

Good start so far. Keep doing those 30 seconds poses, they're a great way to warm up and show progress quickly, which is always good encouragement. Other than that, keep up with anatomy studies. I see you did some in the last post, and they're looking good.

Keep working and posting!

"Success comes from experience, experience comes from mistakes."

Hamms's Daily Chops

Sketch Group
    [Working Title/We Need More Members]
    Hamms : Valve

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Hamms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start! Love your dedication to your studies. Keep working on your anatomy and gestures and make sure you apply what you learn to your work from imagination.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jackpot_anjr90 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jackpot_anjr90: Thanks amigo, ill be sure to put your advice to use! Ill stop by your book real soon!

Hamms: Thanks man, pose maniacs is good medicine!

Movenski: Hey bro! I really appreciate you stopping by my sketchbook, I have the loomis books and ill open them up soon as I like to study not from one master but from anyone that looks interesting to me! Just to mix it up! I never stick to one artist...As for the texture advice, I have been working on that and I understand how vital texture can be to a good looking character, thanks for your advice and ill most def stop by your book!

------------------

Sorry for my absence I have been sick and it has interrupted my studies just a bit, I have some life drawing and some quick sketches that I did this morning, I did these in black ball point pen quickly without thinking to much. I also have some basic shapes quickly rendered, I was pressed on time.. I hate my job!! The character is an old concept piece, she will grow with my skill.

Expect lots more studies tomorrow, as I will make up for lost time! =-]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey everyone, I do not want to complain but I think its unfair to the artists that are trying really hard to improve. Most of the CA community only post their thoughts on superb artists that have stars behind their names, its true that their ability is pretty stellar but I think Jason made CA a place where artists can help each other improve and to show case some of the best the world has to offer, a long with other helpful information CA is a great place, I just think the members, especially the ones with talent need to help out less fortunate artists (When time allows them to do so). The ones that need it, The ones with No stars to gaze upon. Once I get to a particular level I will do my best to help new artists out as well. But before that I will work for my skills because to me stars do not matter much as long as im having fun doing what I Love. I thank those who do help and critique as much as they can, their the ones who make the difference and can be the driving force for an artists continuation throughout their chosen art.

For the next 24 hours I will dedicate my time and efforts to improving my skill sets (A self improvement marathon), this includes studies, character studies and various other information. If anyone has any advice or crits feel free to say what you wish. Thanks. Even though my back is all focked ill still push on! Hope everyone has a good weekend! I will post what I want here for crits!

Last edited by JMonsterDesign; August 7th, 2009 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea of a marathon like that! I think something you can work on is your gesture work...your poses could appear a bit stiff so try loosening up. Draw the pose in lightly and once you feel that your proportions are accurate enough, go a bit harder and more confidently. You're already practicing a lot of those figures, so keep that up
    Oh...and you could try rendering your imaginative work the same way you do with your figure studies. Establish a light source and plot out the shadows.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stopping by my SB!
    You have some very cool character and creature ideas, keep on doing what you love the most.
    I'd say, also focus on anatomy, shape and form and overall perspective. Live studies can get you far. Keep it up, you are doing great.

Oh and don't mind if people don't seem to give advice at first, simply post all the stuff you do and we will start to see how you are improving, what you should improve on next and so forth, patience patience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have good character designs..but I feel that your restricted by your talent. You need to keep pounding out anatomy studies and work on shading. A great book that you should get is Dynamic Anatomy by Burne Hogarthe. He is awesome and I think it's just what you need. Study from that book and other anatomical books and sites and you will see your character designs be much better.

Check out the sketchbook,you know you want to...it has airbrush and other cool stuff in it!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=166335

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks guys, appreciate all the comments and advice, ill get back to you guys individually later.

---------------------------------------------------

Hey everyone, just thinking to myself that I don't want to always feel obligated to post here everyday, so ill try my best with the updates when I can, this way its not much of a chore, and im still drawing.

I did a study of Michelangelo Davinci studies in ball point pen on the fly right before work, about 35 minutes or so. And another quick posture pose from his work. I really love his stuff. And I have a WIP I am working on, a alien sketch.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there! Very good start!

There's one thing though. Why the 4 months period? There's no need of that extra pressure on your shoulders. It's an unnecessary countdown.
    In a similar note, I would recommend to spend more time on your studies. Leave those 10sec or 30sec poses aside for a while, and go for longer ones, trying to understand every bit of all the information in front of you, because speed won't help you to improve. It's like learning to drive on a very fast car right away, through narrow streets and plenty of turns, instead of learning how to change gears, how to park, all the basics, driving a slow car first. OK, that was lame, haha, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. It takes time, patience, and constant work, challenging yourself but taking small steps at a time, accomplishing small goals everyday.

Thanks so much for stopping by my SB and leaving such kind words.

Cheers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see you're on a marketing campaign, promoting yourself, commenting everywhere. That's good!
    I can't really give you much general advice since so many words've already been written here. I'm just going to give you few random pointers I found very helpful:

-www.mmaphotography.com is WAY better than posemaniacs for gesture drawing. Download some hundred photos, fire up your picture viewer in a slideshow mode and draw. Do long anatomy studies and quick gesture drawings where during the first 5 secs of a pose you block in the overall direction the gesture is flowing to. Or just read Nicolaides on this, he's really good

-in case you start drawing from the head, don't (but you should know that from hogarth anyway). I like to start from where there is contact (feet, butt, side of the body, knee, depends on the pose). Where there is contact between forms, draw the imprint one form makes on the other (don't know who said this but it surely 'clicks' for me).

... draw lots?

Cheers!

Last edited by tmth; August 21st, 2009 at 03:37 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.