Team CHOW II: TEAM Chönyid bardo!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Team CHOW II: TEAM Chönyid bardo!

TEAM Chönyid bardo!

We are:

Snootchy
    Grandmassa Mr. Spect
    Hala
    Walid D - (who will be our cheerleader)
    and JailHouseRock2!

DESCRIPTION

This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

ConceptArt.Org is going to be running game design activities and it is our hope that some of these characters could really inspire people doing activities on the other parts of the site too! Fuel for their fire so to speak. :]

Also, Jason has allowed me to offer you some fabulous prizes!

The winning team will get four downloads of their choice each and a pass to an upcoming live streaming course right here on conceptart.org!

Also, individuals within teams are also up for a prize! These will be given for leadership, and for extra effort in making great characters. This prize will consist of four downloads and the pass to attend ca live streaming event.

On to the nitty-gritty:

Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!

Okay, NOW GO!

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

From here we shall launch out grand attack... but first here's a vid for inspiration, and I will update with the full CHOW rules and character descriptions when known!

(Oh and remember to subscribe to this baby)

Let the games begin!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by JailHouseRock2; August 14th, 2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    jail house freak'n rrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCCCCKKKKSSSSS SSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

SOME REF INSPIRATION I HAD FROM LAST TIME GOOD IDEA FOR EVERYBODY TO FIND SOME SO WE CAN SHARE AN I THOUGHT MAYBE WE SHOULD START COME'N UP WITH GESTURES AN BODY TYPE ANYTHING THAT IS GENERAL THAT CAN BE ADJUSTED EASILY TO FIT DIFFERENT CHARACTERS

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks jailhouse!

and shiz son, I was totally thinking of the spanish bull fighter outfits too spect, lol we already are on the same wavelengthhhh

WOOT FOR INSPIRATIONS

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No prob, awesome pics Spect!

Right, from what I learned last time, the fastest we can decide on a theme or whatever the better.

And also something that was a problem, was the differing styles and such of the final images. Of course me and Master Spect have different styles, so half the characters/images looked different from each other. But with 5 of us,every ones going to look different!

So maybe we can work out a system for that. Like once all the characters are designed, one or two people do the line work, and some colour the final images, so there's more consistency.

But we have heaps of time to work that out!

Cheers,
    matt

yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Matt, instead of doing a character alone, we should all work on all the characters ! I guess that's the purpose of the team chow, like a big collab ! Anyway i'm looking forward to it !

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh big thanks matt for putting this up and props to you and Granny for bringing the mojo to this team!! I like Matt's idea and definitely would help congeal the character as a whole, will post some ref pics up as well tomorrow. Time to drop kick this team chow challenge into the galaxy!!

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    all characters should have a unifying element as well
    whether it's a skin mark, or something consistent in their costumes. ie: they all have plumes on their hats, or chains implemented into their armor, they all have glowing tattoos..whatever. so that even with varying style they overall designs will be unified as well.

[CENTER]
    My Website

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the idea of tie 'n theme matching
    an i was think'n if we have extra time it would be cool to make a quick teeser video simple qiuck cut scenes an panning enviro shots inter laced with are names the're names an then bam TEAM TEAM Chönyid bardo! COMING SOON! DROP IT ON YOUTUBE AN REPOST IT HEAR

ive been try'n to get body types an faces together fer anything i might have to draw im make'n em very general so when we have the discriptions i can add personality an such i think we all need to pic two eras each an then throw em in a hat or if there is one we all want an so on i was think'n ''futuristic knights Armour plus advanced tech'' or ''80's style punks kinda like the fashion style of 80's anime but more realistic ...moehawks chains an studed sleevles jackets'' this is just an idea haha an i just want to get started already haha

Last edited by SMILEFACE; July 31st, 2009 at 02:01 PM.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome guise!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    granny u are so good with faces!!

lol hi matte! *waves*

[CENTER]
    My Website

21. The Following User Says Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    des be just some quick tums mon

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hay awesome work Mater spect!

Right, I'm just going to suggest a whole load of theme's, feel free to disregard all of them.

The first and most straightforward theme/time period that came to mind would be a Japanese/ Samurai thing. There's HEAPS of reff and inspiration on the subject, and I think we could match the characters nicely. You know, everything from Samurai and monks, to Geisha girls and Emperors.

This next ones going to be harder for me to explain, but its been rolling around my skull for a while now.

Well I believe the characters we'll be given this time round will the the bad-guys. Last time we had the heroes... now we get the villains.

So I think it would be cool to do a dark religious theme. Christianity has so much imagery and iconography that we could pull into characters.
    But I don't what to do it if this would offend any of you. I haven't found God as it were, but I'd hate to do this if its against your beliefs.
    Anyway they could all be part of the Churches hit-squad. I just love the idea of a Nun running around with a machine gun... or the Pope with a sniper rifle.
    (Haha, I told you it was offensive)

Things I DON'T really want to do are only really Post-apocalypse (been done so offten its not funny) and steampunk (for the same reason)

So I'm cool with what ever.
    cheers,
    matt

Last edited by JailHouseRock2; August 1st, 2009 at 01:03 AM.

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg. we're such a good team
    matt-- i had a similar idea with the religious one. i think if everyon'e up for it
    it's a great idea since the imagery and symbols that can be tied into it leads to really powerful characters and theme--even if we don't use legit relgious symbols, things that resemble them are stilll powerful. i have a fetish for those religious crusader-weapon-bearing-esque characters....but here's my vote for that theme xD

some more notes:

I'm gonna bring in my knowledge from sewing and fashion/graphic design here. if it annoys anyone just tell me to shut up ;p

Contrast of material: contrast is not just for color and values. a good character has a good costume, and the design itself is usually much more powerful when there is a contrast of materials. Ex: grungy metal armor mixed with soft silk cape, or loose, thin under-clothing. Big, gaudy, decorative elements mixed with finely detailed, subtle accents. This kind of contrast creates interest and unique-ness. But it must be well done or it will look out of place.

geometry: you all know how to make silhouette, but maybe try going at it from a fashion approach. the "silhouette" in fashion design is based on geometry of the contours. Is it boxy, is it curvy, is it amorphus? These silhouettes tie directly into personality. boxy/shape oriented is typically associated with bold, confident characters, while amorphus is usually a tribute to ultimate femininity and softness.

repetition and symmetry: These are two things to be careful with. Symmetry is extremely powerful and aesthetically pleasing but can become boring very quickly if it lacks a punch. Same with repetition of shapes. Repetition adds rhythm to the design, which makes it very pleasing to look at and makes it easier on the viewers' eyes, but when overdone, or not varied enough in scale/color/contrast, it will become an eye sore and very overdone. Asymmetrical designs tend to me very intriguing to the eye, providing you reach the same level of weight balance that becomes so appealing in symmetry.

hope that helps some.
    i know i don't always use these things myself.
    but i think the costume speaks volumes for a character, just as much as their face does.

[CENTER]
    My Website

27. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to hear Hala! And awesome notes/help as well... I no nothing about any of that stuff!

Just some stuff I had in folders, will look for more later.
    matt

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some costume designs from korean BJD designers---http://www.dreamofdoll.com/

these always inspired me.
    (C) DREAM OF DOLL, not me

[CENTER]
    My Website

31. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff matttttt
    is that assasin's creed i see? DDDD

[CENTER]
    My Website

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, the theme is crazy, i really love it ! Well, doing 8 characters will be hard, because we are five, but i think we should do 10 characters, so each one will do a good and an evil character ! And instead of doing both characters from the same race, we could do our good character, and then the evil one of another member ! + like we must follow the format made by daewsten, there will be 1 enviro for each characters ( Well we could do a typical enviro for the good and another one for the evil, and then each one paint something similar, it'll be easier then ) ! 2 characters, + 2 enviros, in a month i think it's a good deal ! Just writing my ideas ! I hope to hear more from you !

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kikindaface For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the theme is crazy mad good, so lets get working on breaking those stereotypes!

i agree with walid, i think we should just up it to 10 and each do two. Would just be easier to organize.

some things we need to handle immediately:

Who is team "leader/spokesperson"?
    what race are you interested in drawing?
    PLEASE Answer this asap so we can all start, but be sure that we are all not creating the same race!!
    Who will be keeping track of the "team activity"?

and some motivation

THIS IS YOUR CHANCE TO WIN SOME FREE MB EDUCATION.

^^^^^^^^^

GOOOOOO!!!!!!

[CENTER]
    My Website

37. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made this just for us.

THIS IS a RESERVOIR OF DESIGN IDEAS.

it is not complete, but if you are stuck or looking to make things unique, you can look into these categories and start exploring.

[CENTER]
    My Website

39. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I too late to get in on this?
    +2 more characters +2 more environments.
    Who's the boss? Please.

//else, I can do cheerleading for yous.

41. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to start with
    f/half elf/knight/good
    m/human/hustler/good
    male/orc/brawler/good
    female/cabunny/theif/good

an i just wanted to say thanks fer all the great suff yall are putten up already go team....we rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrooooooooooooooccccccccccckkkkkkkkk KKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

43. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dwardo, please ask Daestwen for permission

LOL spect, if you can make a human hulster in high fantasy, GO FOR IT!
    and you said you were doing evil versions of all of them as well correct?

currently I'm interested in

f/elf/whisperer(summoner of sorts)/good + evil
    m/orc/medic/good+evil <---i think this breaks up the stereotypical no? XD

Remember to keep your WIPS

IF YOU RECORD YOUR PROCESS ON LIVESTREAM, PLEASE SELECT THE OPTION TO SAVE A COPY TO YOUR DESKTOP. I WANT TO COMPILE OUR WORK INTO A YOUTUBE VIDEO AT THE END.

THanks!

[CENTER]
    My Website

45. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha granny i do believe you could do all those and then some, haha and hala i think those are great ideas too, never seen an orc healing so i think that would be a really interesting mash up!

i'm not really sure what i gonna do, but thinking right now

dwarf battle axe bruiser (good) / dwarf apron cooking butcher (evil)

and for the second character might turn out to be 4 characters it was characters i had in mind way back about characters morphing, i named it animorphs (i think there's a comic out called that now or something similar) but the idea came from after watch underworld where the lycans shifted from human form to wolf like beasts

amazonian cheetah fitted lady that morphs into cheetah creature (good) /
    greek spartan warrior that morphs into a lioness (bad)

reason for choosing those 2 counterparts is that i've read both animals are on top of their food chain but a lion will kill a cheetah in order to kill off competition and the reason for making the cheetah lady good is because it always seems the hero's have this uphill battle of overcoming tough adversaries in this case the lion having more advantage in terms of power

I'm not sure if this works for chow but was the idea i had in mind and would still fit that time period of fantasy like world. Not sure but what do you guys think?

LIVESTREAM PLAYAZ!
    Hala
    Mr. Spect
    Walid
    JailHouseRock2
    Dwardo
    Snootchy
    aardvarkphil

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.
    Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil

47. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to snootchy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those sound great!
    im not sure if mine are streo type breakers enoughf but i will see what i can come up w/
    great job yall

49. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right so sorry I've missed the fun!

This sounds crazy awesome (like a pillow fighting another pillow to the death crazy awesome)!

I agree we should all paint only one version of a character. But yet again I feel we're going to struggle with keeping the rendering styles consistency, but we can work that out once we've designed the characters.

I really don't mind what characters I do. So whatever race/class everyone's doing less of, I''ll do.
    Atm we don't have to many Humans, so if nobody's wants them I'll give it a go. And also we've got the various fantasy types like trolls, goblins etc...

So I'll just follow your guys lead.

And I'm cool with Hala being team leader!

Cheers,
    matt

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

51. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahah pillow fights are win!

Matt is right--we need a balance of races and characters, so at least we're finally getting some direction!. we will wait till everyone posts what they want to do, then probably duke it out via msn.

Just to organize all the brainstorming that has occurred.

Our options---

1) Everyone must make one character. for organization purposes, I think it's easier if you do both alliance versions for your own character, however, if anyone wants to switch off--feel free to organize that amongst yourselves.

2) If you want to make more, then do. 2 characters seems manageable if you can handle it.

3) Please brainstorm ASAP some ideas for unified elements and post them here or via MSN. This needs to be decided on soon so that we all have something common within our characters and we can start designing.

4) Another way to make our pieces look like they come from the same group is to organize color and format.

Some ideas:

-all dramatic light, all subtle light,etc
    -rich colors, warm colors, cool colors, etc...

brain storm these too please.

5) Format: I was thinking we can make a master format, kind of like a deck of cards has, that each composition can fit into at the end when it's time to present our work. what do you guys think.

NOW GET TO WORK FINDING REFS AND SKETCHING!!!!! : D

[CENTER]
    My Website

53. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hala For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

the cabunny is or was a slave an she has a good heart but dont piss her of an dont f wit her frends she dosent like to be taken lightly an disrespect an you eat gravel
    the orc orfaned as a baby grew up on the streets shunned be the humans around him a klepto by necessity still knows right from wrong an feels shamefull for his ways
    the half elf is a valiant knight sworn to protect a fallen kingdom an fights for honor an rightousness
    the hustler is sssuper happy w/ an underlineing sadness he is the life of the party an your best friend until you find everything you own is gone he trys to fill his soul w/ superficial things

55. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys are lookin real good!

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

57. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've just been speaking to a freind about this... hes come up with an awesome little character! Posting this really just for inspiriation... but if anyone want to use it your quite welcome!

Name: for now lets call him (squishy)

Race: Human: fishy shape shifter dude

Class: thief /shapeshifter
    Background 1:
    deep in a lake hidden in some marmalade forest that has magic/nuclear-fallout coming out the kazoo. There is a species of aquatic creatures that have been adapting and mutating at an excessive rate, one day they will be cleaning the scum form their pool...
    the next they will be tearing apart bears foolish enough to drink from the shoreline!

Squishy if the first of their kind to achieve sentience
    Of course this does not mean he is “intelligent” quite the opposite…. Orks stand next to him to look smart. But being the big fish in the little pool has warped his perspective on life a little… he’s not the idiot the rest of the world is!

Why should they be reading these paper words? When mouth words are just as good and you can shout at people in them silly humans and their customs!
    Squishy doesn’t see why everyone else does not understand that wind is made because the sun pushes it around the sky as it moves… it’s a perfectly simple idea.

And why does everybody always shout at him and hit him with point sticks when he takes the shiny coins out of their pockets? Aren’t they for sharing? He’s seen people giving them to each other all the time.
    Needless to say society would very mush like to be rid of squishy.

.... and there's more a character/physical descriton
    Description:
    an octopus/jellyfish/cuttlefish like creature that moves around on a”pool” of tentacles can’t be much taller than five feet tall. The rest of him is purely a result of his environment… his advanced genetic makeup changes not only his appearance but his physical qualities. He’s hit by a fireball his fire resistance goes up but he probably suffers a decrease to ice resistance.
    He’s punching people a lot be becomes stronger but slower. He spends a lot of time stealing things he becomes more nimble… but probably less powerful.
    And of course because he has no spine he can fit through a space another creature of his size would get cheese grated through. (possibly usefull for the party? Used to sovle puzzles?)

Note: a good squishy does not necessarily need to be nice he could be an honourable know-nothing-no-it-all… on the side of good… but a complete dick. On the other hand when he becomes a little less honourable he might begin too look like a cheeky little lovable scoundrel.
    (I imagine him a bit like a grunt… small and possibly considered cute… but a bit of a pain in the ass)

Ideas for mobility:
    On tall tentacles like stilts (think hannar from mass effect.)

No legs at all but pushes himself round on a foot of cilia (like a little puddle)

He is a sidekick to another character and due to his immobility he must be carried

drags himself along with long arm tenatcles.
    Haha, I just thought it was fun!

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

59. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking awesome.

61. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KonnA For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.