My concept of my Newborn entry is based on the story of the 'Polong', a Malaysian folklore creature. In a nutshell, my Newborn is a creature created by a black magic practitioner formed out of a murderer's blood. The blood is put into a bottle and dark incantations are cited to bring forth its existence. After a period, crying sounds will be audible from the bottle, and the owner will then have to feed the Polong blood from his finger. The Polong will then be summoned for evil intentions by the Master.
To explain further on my Newborn creature and on the elements in my illustration, here are some keywords...
- unseen ghost/invisible/never seen before- could be very unreal and doesn't have to make sense, hence the smoky, ghostly effect
- neither human nor demon, hence bits of animal parts, human parts, and plant parts
- crying sounds, hence the tears
- bird noises , hence the bird
- accompanied by a Pelesit, that is said to resemble a cricket (drawn by the head).
The Pelesit would burrow a hole into the victim, and the Polong would enter the hole.
For the "razor sharp tail", i used the shape of a keris since it's very symbolic of the Malaysian culture. I also used the hilt of a keris at the claw.
** UPDATE: So here is my final piece in two versions, one cropped and one uncropped. I may make changes in the future (past the contest deadline) with addition of some narrative maybe.
Stressed very much on the bones and flesh and all forming from the bottle to show the birth of the Polong, it was something new to me to do and i had loads of fun with it. The experience working on this piece alone was a win to me on personal grounds!