Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Team Chow II - Team Milk of Amnesia

Thanks
    Thought we were doing tribal?

Honestly, I don't care which direction we are going for. It'd be my challenge to myself to make my character work within whatever time period we decide to go for, as a game concept artist must learn to work within limitations.

But exactly what are we going for?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmmm. Good question. Well in high fantasy I usually think of grand sets of full body armor. But you can easily incorporate tribal design aesthetics into that sort of armor and have it look more interesting than a standard plate mail suit. Before the brief was released we were doing high tech sci fi influenced by other cultures, tribal garb, traditional garb, etc. Now we're just doing high fantasy with those same influences.

I like the rows of horizontal lines running down your second character's clothes. I also like the trinkets and what seems to be furs and grasses in the clothing designs. All of those things can be used in a metallic armor design.

At the same time I don't think every race needs to have the same tech level or the same design sense. Orcs can be more primitive than everyone else for example. That makes sense to me. They can be more tribal looking while elves are more armored and arabian looking, meanwhile dwarves are even more heavily armored and more tibetan influenced... etc. to reflect the different parts of the world that they are from.

We were thinking orcs are from the swamps. If we end up using the natural body armor idea Moai came up with (I love it), then their armor can be more sparse and tribal than everyone else. We can even still give them metallic armor sections if we want, maybe make it look like roughly cast metal. beaten metal. you know? not super smooth armor. Orcs don't have patience or dexterity to make beautiful armor with smooth contours.

We were thinking elves in the desert. Arabian influences would make sense. Dwarves underground and/or in mountains. Tibetan and Mongolian influences maybe? These races can have more fancy pretty armor.

just my thoughts. On the 9th when we start to figure out exactly who is doing what, we will need to make final decisions about these sorts of things to have everything make sense to the viewer.
    Last edited by Burtzum; August 4th, 2009 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks
    Ahh, tribal in style rather than tribal in tech level - that makes perfect sense.

It's not difficult to tech up... in fact, i had to force myself to tech down. No complaints here

Thanks
    also don't be afraid to use other materials in the armors. I think we were thinking of making one of the races coastal. They could have lots of shell influence. crustacean influence. shark tooth trinkets. etc.

Right now is the time to be super creative and interesting. I have today and tomorrow off of work. Woot. Time to draw.

Thanks
    I'm excited to see where this team goes
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    also don't be afraid to use other materials in the armors. I think we were thinking of making one of the races coastal. They could have lots of shell influence. crustacean influence. shark tooth trinkets. etc.
    I'm planning on sketching some dwarf-types with stone armor. Not the most practical, but unique, and fitting for a race that prides themselves in their strength and ruggedness.
    Digging your thoughts on the various possible cultural influences.

Nightblue, cool sketches! The only problem I see is that the twist is too pronounced in the elf's pose.

Daestwen, thanks for visiting and sharing your thoughts!

Matte_Art, thanks! I hope we don't disappoint.

Edit: Here's some quick sketches of an elfin character, somewhat mantis-themed. The costume design was fun, which was nice, since I was just talking to Burton yesterday about how difficult costume design can be. A possible problem with the design is that, though she is an armed and combative character, she is also completely unarmored. Another problem is that her portrait looks creepy.
    Also, in flagrant violation of fantasy art tradition, this female character has no breasts to speak of. But that's more because I didn't want to deal with how those protrusions would deform the fabric of her costume than an aesthetic choice.
    Last edited by Moai; August 4th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Moai For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Another quick sketch of an Female Assassin character. I try to giver her some snake character, and because snake has no visible ears, she doesn't have visible ears either. I'm still no sure how tribal/primitive we are going at, just through in some ideas. I borrowed a lot of different elements for her design. it's really hard to say her period...

As for the race, I think she's somewhere around an half-elf, between a human and an more snake looking elf kind people. So she's half breed. her body is only partially covered with scales.
    Last edited by fluorine; August 4th, 2009 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    taking a shot at crayfish orc.

Thanks
    I love his face Burt! I can totally see that face going good and evil.

Thanks
    So, a few of the main character/race ideas I remember discussing a few days ago are orc/crayfish, elf/mantis, dwarf/molerat, and human/bird.
    I've done the first two. Here's my stab at human/bird.
    He's a beach-living character, and his class is probably a summoner. Again, no armor, but this time I think his magical and spiritual power makes up for that.
    There ya go.

Thanks
    I dig the bird themed human sketch Moai. Has a bit of a Native American feel. very cool. Maybe give him that stereotypical Native American arched "beak" nose. I like his recessed eyes too. I've had someone tell me I look like a bird before. An eagle specifically. I think its the large nose combined with recessed eyes/protruding brow structure and eyebrow shape that makes me look angry all the time. I also have thin lips that have somewhat of a beak like point in the center.

EDIT: painted swamp orc some more. hes still in his undies though...
    Last edited by Burtzum; August 6th, 2009 at 02:26 AM.

Thanks
    Here's a bard design.

I'm not so happy about her, looks too... ordinary, nothing interesting. I'm still not sure whether to go with conventional races or creating a new race...seems like everyone is doing some kind of hybrid...I feel more compelled to do something that's conventional but make it different somehow.
    Last edited by fluorine; August 5th, 2009 at 06:45 PM.

Thanks
    Cool sketches! The new sketches look a bit lower tech though. Do we want to go full-out tribal?

Sorry for the short comment - must sleep Did a new quick and dirty turtle dwarf sketch - this one is probably the good twin.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast