Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Random alien sketches over lunch... trying to get my mind out of cliches.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanks for the memo, fluorine. I just installed MSN messenger and created an account, so I'll join you guys tonight. My handle on there is corytregoart[at]live[dot]com. I've already added all of you guys to my contact list, and I'll be online pretty much the rest of the day, probably.
    The alien idea sounds cool, and I'm totally with you guys on your ideas of style and genre. I have a few alien races that I've already drawn that I feel might work, but I'm guessing that you guys probably want to create something new for this activity. So, I'll sketch out some new ideas today and post them later.

Until then, here's some Tauregs, Masai, and other tribes from Africa. Only a few images this time.

Thanks
    random sketches #1

Thanks
    Here are the alien designs I was talking about earlier. I have no problem with us using these or modifying them. Or, we can make something new. Makes no difference to me.

Thanks
    more random sketch #2, 3

Last edited by fluorine; July 30th, 2009 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Here's some doodles!
    Very interesting designs, fluorine!

Thanks
    Another quick random sketch. just to play with primitive and sci-fi.

Thanks
    Doodles of nakkid aliens. Clothed ones comes later, maybe.

Thanks
    A pencil/digital sketch of some sorta humanoid alien. It doesn't really fit the tribal/high tech aesthetic we decided on, and the interlocking ring motif on its garment looked a lot better in my imagination than in practice. But oh well! Just adding it to the pile.
    Cool aliens, fluorine and Nightblue.

EDIT: Reading the topic and guidelines, our initial direction is in the trashcan anyway. Growl.
    So long, bipedal aliens. Adios, high technology. We hardly knew ye.

Last edited by Moai; August 1st, 2009 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Moai, that alien is totally cool!!! that being said, we're totally screwed with our initial theme/direction.

Well, since I can't find you guys on MSN and whine about this round's high fantasy theme, I'll just post it here.

So we all read the briefing for this round, and I hope I'm not the only who felt just a little bit disappointed...as if we actually *need* more pointed eared gender-confused elven cleric. But not like there's anything we can do about the topic. So let's see if we can still have some fun with this one.

I was thinking, maybe we could do some really cheesy Anima Style high fantasy characters, like those in Final Fantasy series. you know, high school kids saving the world, the girls wearing huge armor but with belly area totally exposed...that kind of silly style. I think as long as we stick to the AD&D rule book, we should be able to get by with "style".

Or we can do different ethnic, like African American elf, or Chinese drawf...just try to break away the "all white cast" of most High Fantasy stories.

Looks like the costume is pretty much limited to medieval/celtic/general european/LotR style. So I think if we can tweet it a little bit here and there, give it more ethnic look that might be interesting.

As for work flow, I think the most natural way is that each of us pick one character, race and class, make sure we end up with 2 male and 2 female. So each of us end up doing 2 portraits for this character, and we'll have 8 portraits all together.

It might help if we can come up with some kind of coherent background/world setting, it'll help to connect the characters.

I'll go ask Daestwen if we can do different poses, like moving, walking, sitting down...or we have to stick with standing pose. Although since we're doing good and evil side of the same character, it's probably near impossible to have a composition that have all of them fit in together. So I think at least have the two side some how interact with each other.

Bottom line is, this is not straight up "character design" we're doing here. I mean, there's no character sheet, no expression sheet, no breaking down sheet...What we're doing is straight up full panel illustration. So I think Illustration is to tell a story. Maybe we can push from this perspective, and have our character tell a story of themselves and the world they live in.

Add: one more thing, I just noticed the banner, Good and Evil. That seems to be the focus of this round. Showing the same character in different alignment. maybe we should be focusing on that as well.

Last edited by fluorine; August 1st, 2009 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Here's a quick sketch I did this afternoon.

Thanks
    I was disappointed with the topic as well. But, we can still apply creativity and originality and make it work, no problem.

To respond to your thoughts on style, I'm pretty strongly against going in an exaggerated, Anime-influenced style. I think going in the second direction you mentioned--high fantasy with strong non-European influences--is much more interesting, more fun, and more similar to what we'd already had planned. That's my view.
    I'll most likely be available sometime tonight to chat on MSN. I also think planning out some sort of world and backdrop would be helpful.

Thanks
    Well here are the doodles I had done for our primitive sci-fi idea. I was bummed about the topic also. But I think we can still make this weird and interesting. It will just be more difficult. I have some ideas. And I think we can still keep our influences. We need to chat on MSN. Also I'm with Moai, I am against going anime with bellies exposed etc. Bleh.

Team Chow II - Team Milk of Amnesia

Last edited by Burtzum; August 2nd, 2009 at 10:08 AM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Burtzum For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1