Well I'm slow, I really had some difficulties with this yeti, my main problem was to give a yeti, a 18th century barbarian style...
I tried different kind of things but I think I will try to keep the design simple, maybe I'll add some small rusty plates on the boots. Dont know if anyone have any suggestions ^^
Yeah, Hygami... I think we should refine the concepts in the work we are doing now, but perhaps do a new piece for the final - considering dynamic pose/composition, etc. where as in the sketches, I haven't been worried so much about those things. I think I also want to write up who everyone is and what they do (for reals for reals ) before we dive into the finals, so that we have a nice, solid sense of character in the pieces. I want us to kick serious ass and take many names.
I don't, however, think anything here is throwaway - everything will be used to pull together the finished piece.
Also, thinking format... Do we want to present all of the characters in one image, or make something more like a character card? Or can we think of something else entirely that hasn't been done? They could be formal painted portraits to mimic the time period. We could present it like it was bound in a book... Just something to mull over while we push forward.
I'm putting Perfume on my netflix today, will take many hi-res screencaps for us as soon as it comes in - I am more and more into using that film's palettes in our project, make it nice and moody.
And thanks, Kimbee! So glad you came over!
Edit - Aww, thanks Pixeltuner. And Posh - thanks for stopping in! We love you, too
well not much I'm 20, I'm a hobbiest and working to be pro some day
Thanked 317 Times in 172 Posts
yeah Markus and I had something similar in mind
so we could do all of these
1. We take our crayscale paintings and make the cards so that our concepts don't get lost and you have a good face closeup please pleas please forgive the crappyness!! just for the idea!!
EDIT: Markus gave it a more "booky" style !!!!!! thanks mate!!
2. We create a book: we take in our environments and the way they behave and such (the attack board concepts I did)
the good thing is these are reaaly fast not a big thing to pull off since we have everything byproducing concepts
and last but not least the lineup
so here we have a cleric monkey EDIT:
well if you think the monkey doesn't fit in, read this little story (which will be extended)
The revotion against the humans has begun. They even ask their friend from abroad (east asia) to ccome fight for freedome
Last edited by Adrian Wilkins; August 4th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
I absolutely LOVE the idea of doing it like book pages! Not only would it unify the presentation, but none of our material would go wasted.
I loved the idea so much, I made a quick set from our sketches to show you what I had in mind! I think we could go nuts with the script and maybe even put some aged gilding on the pages. I like this format better than the lineup because it gives each individual character their chance to shine, while still staying true to the overall style. It would also give us a perfect opportunity to incorporate the character's description with their portrait!
RAD idea, everyone!
Last edited by Sentinel.; August 5th, 2009 at 12:44 PM.
Good lord. I've not been this speechless about a thread since i saw hurri's Viking concept thread. You guys are going to wipe the floor if you keep up at this rate!
Loving all of it, especially the very exotic looking lynx a page or so back. The sheer amount of work you've done so far is staggering given the quality and the fact I'd bet you all have day jobs too! I don't really have much feedback, other than it'd be nice to see a sleekier, sexier male in there somewhere too... I think there was a bat fellow somewhere in here who was looking pretty suave, and maybe you could do something like that with the crow concept, rather than going down the ugly route with them?
Love Hygami's concept for the barbarian's attack though, the sheer force of movement is palpable. Awesome, awesome stuff, will be coming back here often!
RECAP!! ... Per our MSN talk the last few days. I've tried to flesh these out into some sort of character (personality) traits belong to our species -- changes and suggestion welcome.
We also still need to name:
The world (possibly broken into 5-7 regions)
A Capital City
A few other towns (maybe 4-8)
Our Characters (species) and their Classes:
1) Arachnea -- Assassin. This is a goblin creature based on spider characteristics, with multiple arms, great strength, speed and dexterity. With a tendancy to lean towards evil, they have a crabby and mischievous temperment. The creature is a little grotesquely formed for human tastes, making their race a target for scorn and mistreatment from the humans in power over (name of world). They are gnome-like phantoms, that may range in height from that of a dwarf to that of a human.
This character is Female - good version is a rogue assassin sometimes assisting the animal cause, the bad version is in the employ of the Humans.
2) Cervus -- Mage/Wizard. These tall, graceful, wise creatures resemble deer in some features, such as the male's majestic antlers - a cultivated symbol of wisdom and age in the Cervus culture, especially as their life span is exceptionally long compared to that of a Human. They are keepers of history and knowledge, the only race that still keeps the flame of the past's traditions alive. They are highly respected by the humans for their abilities and smooth, calm demeanor. They are also respected for the great power they can wield, based on an ancient, earthly magic only the Cervus understand. They are peace loving and diplomatic.
This character is Male - good version is a wise sage, bad version is ???.
3) Indomitus Bestia -- Barbarian. These creatures originated in the cold, barren north and were originally one of the greatest conquerers of (name of world), as they were powerful warriors and great explorers over the arctic seas and frozen landscapes because of their thick fur and surdy builds. Now, the world is not so cold, and their race has dwindled, pushed further and further into the barren nothern mountains by Humans who fear that these beasts might rise against them, despite the fact that the yeti are a largely peace-loving race. They are huge, standing more than 2.5 meters tall.
This character is Male - good version is ???, the bad version is in the employ of the Humans in their vast army.
4) Vulpes -- Cleric/Mage. These creatures are largely very short, usually getting to be no taller than about a meter. They have a kind, gentle demeanor for the most part, are exceptional gossips and are exceptionally astute - they listen very, very closely at all times. They are incredibly social and live in very close knit communities, loved by most other groups and rarely seen as a threat. Any power or force they possess is often used in the assistance of others.
This character is Male - good version is a cleric/priest in the capitol city doing charity/aid work, the bad version is ???.
5) Chiroptera -- Thief/Scout. These are one of the stranger creatures the Humans encountered in (name of world). They often live in large colonies, underground, in high up places where they are assured of safety - they are very suspicious and distrustful of those not of their kind. Because they can fly and possess exceptional sensory (especially their sight and hearing) they are excellent detectors. They are wily, quick, and skittish and because of their smaller size, they can often sneak into places unnoticed and sometimes work as spies. Humans find them grotesque, and have long been known to mistreat them openly, while secretly employing them to carry out their agendas.
This character is Female - good version is a thief in the capitol city, bad version is a scout for the Human army.
6) Monachus -- Mercenary. These creatures are playful and wild, very difficult to control, but immensely talented when it comes to feats of athleticism, especially acrobatics and one-on-one combat. They hail from a far distant, exotic corner of the world, known for exception spices and brutal ways, an area the Humans never quite conquered, and instead controls with trade and money. These creatures are nomadic, restless, they tend to be small and agile. They can also be exceptionally deadly.
This character is Male - good version is ???, the bad version is in the employ of the Humans as a mercenary (though he may turn on them, too).
7) Human -- Knight. In the year (xxxx) the Humans invaded. No one in (name of world) could now remember the details, but it was said the sky turned to ash and the rivers all reversed their course for 2 days before the great tear opened in the fabric of the universe. Through this great rift came invading armies, with technology and weapons the creatures of (name of world) had never experienced before - great magic they could not understand. Brute force couldn't hold the world forever, and through subtle manipulations, the Humans established a class structure and built a new society where the creatures were used to keep them in power, grow their power, but to always be subjugated. Not all humans are so cold, however. Many hundreds of years living among these people has made some of them crusaders against the ruling class, defenders of the subjugated peoples of (name of world). All of this is leading toward revolution...
This character is Male - good version is a knight lobbying the king for clemency and trying to defent the animals, bad version is the evil knight who overthrew (murdered) the last king to take his place.
8 ) Ferus Lynx -- Battle Mage. Mysterious, and somewhat dangerous, due to a fickle, cat-like nature. These creatures possess great cunning and physical dexterity, as well as being the keepers of a sort of dark magic - one that only their species can understand and tap into, and one that the Humans greatly covet. They are often in the employ of humans, being solitary and opportunistic, they will be careful to look out for themselves, no matter what they must do. Even a kind, sociable Ferus Lynx is not exactly your friend, and it is best to always be on guard when in contact with one.
This character is Female - good version is a battle mage who is unaffiliated with any group, the bad version is a general in the Human army.
WHEW! So that is where we are... next is thumbnails for these characters' portraits, naming the characters, and filling in any holes.