Sketchbook thread for Team Thundercats!
I know we haven'T decided the genere yet but I just wanted to through in a doodle for the case it's gonna be scifi ^^
EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED wasn't related to the topic
Last edited by Adrian Wilkins; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.
These are sort of shape/scene/mood boards to get the two ideas we more-or-less reached consensus on into visual format.
Late 18th Century, kind of French, inspired by "Perfume":
1920s/30s Art Deco SciFi a la Bioshock:
I have a TON more ref images I can throw together, too... these are my favorites, tho, as far as shape/idea... even the color... I like the idea of the 18th century world being very subdued with high intensity pops of color like red and gold. I think the art deco world should be kind of warm, full of woods and metals, so technology that is made of old looking pieces, very slick and clean design.
Does this take everybody to a good place, do we need to revisit ideas or would we like to run with something like these?
Just so the information is handy in this thread, here's the condensed brief that daestwen posted:
TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVIL
This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.
Here are the rules!
1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!
PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.
Gender: Male / Female
Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)
YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!
The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.
1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.
Awesome! I think a lot of the research we did into the 18th century idea could conform really easily into this brief.
So, what kind of characters appeal to you guys? I'm already thinking we should branch out with the races and make a character or two a little more unique than the standard fantasy versions. Like a race of arctic yeti-type characters, or bird men. Or something
I REALLY like the idea of making our creatures based more on real-life creatures and not the standard elves/orcs/etc. I would like to see elves that look more like delicate insects or maybe deer or rabbits? Something based on a crow would be interesting... Yeti is an awesome idea... I think we should think about textures like feathers, fur, scales, and REALLY push the rendering on these things (cause we are some badass renderers, us 4 ) I also think we should go big, aim for 6 characters, and see how close we can get.
Another thought... maybe see if we can tie in animal characteristics to the class of the character - don't crows like to collect shiny things? Maybe a good thief? A huge yeti monster makes sense as a warrior.
I think the 18th century idea works really well for this... I say we keep it dark and moody.
What if we included things line centuars, griffins, dragons, etc? Something that isn't a humanoid character? That may be too far off track, though...
K! I did a quick sketch of what I was thinking... I based her on a deer, and I think if we were to show an old, wise elf, they could have impressive antlers incorporated in the design... younger ones might have spots like a baby deer....
Last edited by Sentinel.; August 1st, 2009 at 05:37 PM.
That looks wicked, Hygami!! Man, if we keep this momentum up we are going to have one kickass product
Your theme suggestion and sketch are perfect, Jessi! I'm collecting refs of animals and materials to make an additional mood board
Last edited by Sentinel.; August 1st, 2009 at 01:25 PM.
Developed Actively by vBSocial.com