Team CHOW II - Team Thundercats are GO!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 427 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heeeelllll yeeaaa MamMMAAAaaa ! this is going to be sooo good

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know we haven'T decided the genere yet but I just wanted to through in a doodle for the case it's gonna be scifi ^^

EDIT: IMAGE REMOVED wasn't related to the topic

Last edited by Adrian Wilkins; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:31 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Wilkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches!

Attached Images Attached Images  

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Wilkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yowza!!

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mat Kaminski For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are sort of shape/scene/mood boards to get the two ideas we more-or-less reached consensus on into visual format.

Late 18th Century, kind of French, inspired by "Perfume":

Name:  perfume01.jpg
Views: 5696
Size:  325.8 KB

1920s/30s Art Deco SciFi a la Bioshock:

Name:  art_deco01.jpg
Views: 6161
Size:  464.5 KB

I have a TON more ref images I can throw together, too... these are my favorites, tho, as far as shape/idea... even the color... I like the idea of the 18th century world being very subdued with high intensity pops of color like red and gold. I think the art deco world should be kind of warm, full of woods and metals, so technology that is made of old looking pieces, very slick and clean design.
    Does this take everybody to a good place, do we need to revisit ideas or would we like to run with something like these?

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so the information is handy in this thread, here's the condensed brief that daestwen posted:

TEAM CHOW II: GOOD AND EVIL

DESCRIPTION

This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

Here are the rules!

1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

YES, THESE LOOK LIKE STEREOTYPES. IT IS YOUR JOB TO BREAK THEM. I want to see some really interesting, kick ass stuff!

--------

SUBMISSION GUIDLINES

The Final Burning Thread will go up ONE WEEK before deadline. The deadline will be August 31st, at 11:59 pm GMT - 4, Eastern Daylight Time. I will accept submissions as long as it is August somewhere in the world, but after this I will close the thread. I am going to give myself 1-2 days to then sort out the poll and the voting, so please be patient.

1. One team member will be in charge of submitting the final entry. How the entry is presented will be up to you, but keep it consistent and coherent.
    2. Remember that you will need to submit wips. If you decide to make a group sketchbook for this activity, a link to that will suffice.
    3. Also sumbit a list of Team Activity. I want to see how well you worked as a team - who was in charge of what and what each member did.
    4. All other ChoW rules apply. If you are not familiar with the usual chow rules, please read the guidlines thread sticked at the top of the subforum. Including, 3/4ths rule, no paint-overs, etc.
    5. Please submit files with this naming convention: TeamChow_TeamName_Image001.jpg
    6. Please keep to the format of the image below. We're gonna be a little bit more strict about presentation this time - each portrait should be portrait-aligned, like so, and the figure about as big as the one you see below. Full bodied figures, please.

--------------------------

Awesome! I think a lot of the research we did into the 18th century idea could conform really easily into this brief.

So, what kind of characters appeal to you guys? I'm already thinking we should branch out with the races and make a character or two a little more unique than the standard fantasy versions. Like a race of arctic yeti-type characters, or bird men. Or something

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I REALLY like the idea of making our creatures based more on real-life creatures and not the standard elves/orcs/etc. I would like to see elves that look more like delicate insects or maybe deer or rabbits? Something based on a crow would be interesting... Yeti is an awesome idea... I think we should think about textures like feathers, fur, scales, and REALLY push the rendering on these things (cause we are some badass renderers, us 4 ) I also think we should go big, aim for 6 characters, and see how close we can get.

Another thought... maybe see if we can tie in animal characteristics to the class of the character - don't crows like to collect shiny things? Maybe a good thief? A huge yeti monster makes sense as a warrior.

I think the 18th century idea works really well for this... I say we keep it dark and moody.

What if we included things line centuars, griffins, dragons, etc? Something that isn't a humanoid character? That may be too far off track, though...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K! I did a quick sketch of what I was thinking... I based her on a deer, and I think if we were to show an old, wise elf, they could have impressive antlers incorporated in the design... younger ones might have spots like a baby deer....

Name:  elf_sketch.jpg
Views: 4339
Size:  123.4 KB

21. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian Wilkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean like this?

Apparently you and I think a LOT alike Though he has horns, more than antlers. Easily changed!

Name:  elfmage1.jpg
Views: 3862
Size:  183.7 KB

Edit: I think going with more dramatic antlers was the right decision! Also started fleshing in some costume.

Name:  elfmage2.jpg
Views: 4133
Size:  201.8 KB

Last edited by Sentinel.; August 1st, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    omg love it Sentinel just love it!

So I went with the Animal stufftoo great idea!

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Wilkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That looks wicked, Hygami!! Man, if we keep this momentum up we are going to have one kickass product

Your theme suggestion and sketch are perfect, Jessi! I'm collecting refs of animals and materials to make an additional mood board

Last edited by Sentinel.; August 1st, 2009 at 01:25 PM.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG, you guise rock my face off Hygami, that pose is SO dynamic, I really like this... And Sentinel, WOW! You guys are so fast. Both of these work perfectly for me, and even look kind of similar, based on goats kinda(?) I think we should consider how to classify this character group so we can expound on the idea... maybe some kind of elf/satyr wizard class? I can see sentinel's being the beginning of a "good" version and hygami's being our "evil" one. Or would we like these to be our "elves"? Should we invent a new race? I also LOVE pushing the features more animalistic, I say we keep moving that direction...

I love both of these!

How about something orc or goblin-like based on crows? I think that is what I want to try and flesh out next... will post sketches ASAP.

We need at least 2 more races to tackle... I think sentinel's mood boards will totally help solidify these choices. I just want to do something with feathers, the rest I am completely open to anything and everything. GO TEAM GO!!!

PS - Oh yes! I want to write our world's story, too. To give us all a better sense of the characters. What I am thinking now is that while the characters and magic is classic high fantasy, I would like to see our world more realistic - obv keeping with the laat 18th century revolutionary France theme, so more of an urban setting, with vast poverty and a rather bleak climate (always good for a power struggle, good vs. evil rather than the masses vs. the monarchy)... So I think it is seedy, and dirty. Maybe one of our classes is the ruling elite and oppressive in some way, and the rest are the people who serve them (courtiers, servants) and the poor huddled masses... or something like that. Thoughts?

Last edited by JessiBean; August 1st, 2009 at 01:59 PM.

31. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think that's a great idea Jessi! - it'll unify all the characters and designs if we have a really solid background to base them on.

For the division of classes... I'm inclined to say that the deer/satyr elf types would likely be in the upper classes somewhere. Maybe not top dog, but around there. I can see them as being fairly opulent. If we go with the yeti-type of creature as a sort of warrior class, maybe we could use them as the army or guards? And maybe the evil version can be a mercenary or bandit.

Here's the first set of materials! I tried to find a bunch of feathers for you Jessi! I'll edit later with some animal refs and additional materials, like velvet, leather, etc.

Edit: a set of animal refs. I included several crow and deer ones since I know we're doing characters based on those. I also tried to hunt around for some unusual looking animals and some from a winter habitat, for the yeti.

Last edited by Sentinel.; August 1st, 2009 at 04:44 PM.

33. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Team Thundercats! I've found something that might be able to help you. Lots of animal photo's. Keep it up. I like the way this is headed

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm supposed to be sleeping, but I just had a thought - Dae's brief in the main topic thread mentions that it was inspired by game design. I think we could really run with that! Most games these days let the player pick between the male and female versions of a race; we also want to make as many characters as possible. I say that if time permits, we should make a male and female character of each race we come up with. This way we can really explore the race and represent more of the different classes (ie warrior, mage, necromancer, etc.). It would make for a great character line up. But it is so much more work, haha

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OH MY GOSH, the Hobbits/short people need to be the little animal in the upper right of the 2nd image, Sentinel. Great reference... working on some more sketches. How about we brainstorm for the next 2-ish days, and then from there we can whittle down the concept and divide up the work - I'd like to get ontop of the drawing/rendering so we have plenty of time to make it suuuuuuuper polished, and so we can sneak in some extra touches, if possible.

OH! and that update to the character is EXCELLENT, Sentinel! I love the idea of the deer/elf species being wise and somewhat powerful... I think the humans should be the ruling/oppresser type class, maybe they are hoarding the money/power, making for resentment in the "lower" species... maybe the species go in rank according to attractiveness of the animals we're associating them with. The deer/elves are connected with a sense of something serene and beautiful and wise, so they are kinda up there where as crows or something insect like would be more of a pest and looked down on.... Still musing out loud...

I like the idea of epic unrest and revolt + magic.

And lots of thanks for the tip, LostFayth!

Last edited by JessiBean; August 1st, 2009 at 08:06 PM.

39. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's called a Fennec Fox! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_Fox

Anything with huge ears like that = win, in my book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No need to say how awesome you all are !
    Anyway I tried to do something but I'm not sure of it at all,
    I'll try something totally new tomorrow another animal an other class probably, but after seeing what you three have done, I thought maybe I should do something else than a mamal, so I thought of reptiles-snakes, but unfortunately what I tried was horrible !
    After I went for the spider/assassin idea, so here's lets say first try :

Name:  Assassin_WIP01.jpg
Views: 3865
Size:  76.7 KB

But I have NO idea of which race this would be in the classical fantasy stuff
    I was more thinking about the animal and they're specific things
    (spider : silent, poison, scary, quick, can go nearly where ever they want = assassin ! )

42. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mark Tarrisse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Markus! I love this... I was thinking we needed to incorporate some insect, this is fab. Maybe some kind of goblin/spider combo would make sense? Crafty and kind of icky all at once

I tried to scribble soemthing orc/crow like - I think maybe I am playing it too "human", need to get more... creature-y:

Name:  birdman_small.jpg
Views: 3455
Size:  87.3 KB

OBV, he is a Priest.

Last edited by JessiBean; August 1st, 2009 at 08:02 PM.

44. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your thread is too good, im scared

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

46. The Following User Says Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,473 Times in 722 Posts
    Follows
    Following

48. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This threads going to be so much fun to watch!

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

50. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just oooooooone more for the night... playing off of Markus' awesome spider assassin idea...

Name:  spider_assasin_small.jpg
Views: 3929
Size:  82.7 KB

52. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JessiBean For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    awwwww! I hate ugly things with big nice boobs! This thread is looking great thus far!

[CENTER]Ken's Sketchbook

54. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sirkenneth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jessi you must be freakin crazy I love the designes specially the last one !! omg!
    Markus I love how you combine the character of a thief in the a spider ver well into one figure! he looks dirty and stealthy thats what I reaaly like! greatgreat job!!
    I lREALLY dig the update of your elf christina O_O!!!! let us se more stuff!

So heres A Lynx Version of A Battle Mage, the lynx cat is for me a bit like an dark elf, bt they don't have to be evil.. well the book is called
    "The Compendium Of Lexx'Jiing" she will be carrying it at her hips with a belt crossing her body up around her shoulder. The Sphere is a "Chza'Lexx Elemental Sphere" created by the Lynx especially for battlemages and got popular throuoght the decades and is now used by most of the of battle mages.

sry for the little story I will erase it if it annoys anyone

Edit: rendered it a bit and cropped the image

Last edited by Adrian Wilkins; August 2nd, 2009 at 12:27 PM.

56. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adrian Wilkins For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These sketches are fantastic! Yours is to die for Jessi!! Love the pose and design on both of the spider assassins, we are DEFINITELY going to have to use these characters for final.

And there's nothing wrong with a little backstory, Hygami! Awesome lynx battlemage, and I think her book and sphere are a great idea! That knife is kick-ass, too

I tried to sketch up a female version of your crow priest Jessi, but mine is kind of boring. :/ I also feel like she's still too human... I think I'm going try a few different head variations that are much more bird like and aggressive looking. And her anatomy itself should probably be less human. I think at least one or two characters should be more animal than anything, so we have a broader range of design.

58. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sentinel. For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1