Stuck on a Portfolio Piece
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Stuck on a Portfolio Piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Stuck on a Portfolio Piece

Okay... I plan on doing a little bit of refining in the shirt area, but I want to keep it... I guess, more loose than the rendering in the face.

What's really bugging me, is should I do something more with the background than just refining it slightly and giving it a couple interesting brush strokes? Are the colors balanced/hideous/good/bad? I've just reached that point to where I feel like I should do minor tweaking and then stop, but part of my mind is telling me to keep going in a major way, especially with the background. I don't want it overworked, I want it to be about the face, but I'm also doing it for a portfolio so I don't want it necessarily to look like I just crapped it out and never finish anything. ^^; blah.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i quite like where this is going

the one thing i noticed first was that the pinks in the sweater really stand out as in just being popped there ; i can't match them to anything else in the picture; perhaps if you changed to the oranges of the face or changed the green into darker shade?? i also think the base of the nose could be a bit more convincing. hope it is helpful

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pauscorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking great so far. I really enjoy the uninhibited pallette. Overall lighting and composition are handled skillfully. some of the brushwork seems confident and some of it seems a little uncertain or confused.

I agree that you're at the point were the finishing strokes could either make it kick ass or possibly cause problems.

You could save a copy of it the way that it is and then maybe try a few different approaches. Consider some custom brushes to add a hint of texture to the finishing strokes.

Eyes are handled very deftly. Lips are looking good too. far corner (of the lips) seems to have been handled with a little bit uncertainty. Ear is pretty good but the anatomy could be a little more accurate there to punch up the overall impressiveness of the piece. Possibly give a little extra love and subtlety to the area defining the bottom of the nose, the shoulder area of the shirt and the hair at the top edge of his head (it doesn't seem to be attached to his scalp.)

Hope that helps

Last edited by PsiBug; July 28th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much to you both-- I will take the advice and run with it tonight. =) ( I love the description "uninhibited palette" XP just sounds cool ) ....and yeah, maybe I'll take that pink and make it more of a rusty color like where the green/purple mix is in the bg. food for though nom nomnom

...wish I could double-thank LOL, reading through again my mind's already buzzing with tweaks (not from meth)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow... it really is wonderfull try adding some light blue hue on the shirt...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zanna92 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Partly I'm posting an update so that I can look at this on a computer at work tonight (just need a different perspective because laptop colors look weird sometimes)

and partly because I want to make sure I didn't just f*** up the ambience with new colors lol. Fixed the nose and the ear, and I'm thinking the shadowed part of his face is looking a bit flat, especially around the mouth, but I've been staring for too long (and need to clean house anyways lol)

As always observations appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you really nailed the nose improvements!

Some other subtle improvements here and there. Ear has changed and is still pretty good but I think the face and hair are still several degrees more awesome than the ear.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PsiBug For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks ^u^ ...I will have to see if I can't take that ear up a few more notches then, probably wouldn't kill me to do some studies either XP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The top strands defy any reason. He's not bald, so why the comb forward Ambience?
    I got to read up on colour theory, again. There's probably a reason I like the colours, but I like rainbows too?

I've seen your dA gallery, You're very much a crouching tiger hidden talent Ambi! Fact.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Take a round brush, turn down the hardness, and soften up some of the transitions, especially the neck/pit of the neck. Doing this judiciously will really make this tight.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MT-Mystic For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.