Thanks

Big Monitors VS Multiple Smaller Monitors

I'm planning on investing a fair chunk of change into a new monitor to be used for my photoshop work. I was considering getting something in the 40 inch range but was also thinking of getting 2 or 3 smaller (27 inch) monitors to put side by side and using each screen for the various photoshop processes. Texture/Image files for one screen, artwork on second, toolbars on third.

Does anyone have experience using a larger (40 inch and up) monitor and if so, are there any drawbacks vs the smaller screens? Thanks for any input!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    some quick thoughts:

i am not aware of any graphics monitors bigger than 30 inch. so you're probably thinking about getting a television screen as a substitute. DON'T do it! these things are not designed for photoshop work. ALSO they're not running higher screen resolutions than what you get out of an 24" screen. which means you don't get more workspace, just a bigger screen.

if you want more workspace get multiple screens. consider that you need a graphics card which can handle them though. consumer graphics cards today aren't designed to run more than two screens with full hd resolution.

if i'd make a suggestion to anybody working with photoshop at the moment it would be to get either two 24" or one 30" monitor. for photoshop work actually one 24" monitor is quite comfortable already.
    more than 2 screens aren't realy that beneficial for your workflow outside professional postproduction (film) imho.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to janni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    You're kidding. Do you work at NASA or something?

That setup doesn't make sense for many reasons. If you want to go dual-monitor then fine, but any more I can't see the sense in. Your PC probably wouldn't be able to power them anyway.

What I'd recommend is a decent quality single monitor, say an NEC 30" Spectraview running on a 2560x1600 resolution. They go for about £2,000, which is very reasonable. I can't see the point in going bigger because all that will happen is that you'll lose quality (unless you can afford five figures) and end up with pixels the size of your head, being that the resolution won't increase.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,184 Times in 755 Posts

Thanks
    janni - I was thinking of an LCD Monitor. I know the resolution just stretches out on the bigger screens but I'm ramping up the size of my artwork to the 40 inch wide and further and it would be nice to see the art closer to the scale of the printed version on the screen. There is an assortment of 40 inch lcd monitors on here ranging in price - http://www.superwarehouse.com/40_LCD_Monitors/c3/2938

"i am not aware of any graphics monitors bigger than 30 inch."

Heh, you'd be surprised what's out there beyond the 30 inch, Here's an assortment of 65 inch monitors - http://www.superwarehouse.com/65_LCD_Monitors/c3/3225

Baron - Thanks for the suggestion. Not working at NASA, just doing insanely huge digital artworks. The NEC 30 looks fantastic, unfortunately it's out of my price range. I'm going to be going into some shops and bringing my art on disc to see how it looks on different monitors. I'd love to go as high res as possible but I really want a bigger monitor to be able to work on the larger scale. And given my price range, 1,500 US dollars and down, it's going to have to be one or the other.

Noah - No, that's a good size, just don't look here - http://www.superwarehouse.com/NEC_Mu...K-AV/p/1509073

Thanks
    those are TVs - NO graphic monitors. they're designed for watching television and movies sitting a buncha feet away. they are NOT designed for photoshop work. ESPECIALLY NOT color sensitive work.

none of them features resolutions above 1920 x 1080 px. some of them are just 1366 x 768 px.

again, although you'd have an image of the same dimensions as your final print it won't have the same detail. unless you actually work in 1920x1080px and print with something about 50dpi (guessed) of course....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to janni For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Good points, I am leaning towards a couple of 1920x1080px 27-30 inch screens. Still though, I'd really like to work on the larger scale, even if it is a downgraded resolution. I'm just going to have to look at the art on the different sizes and decide what I'm willing to sacrifice image scale/ vs resolution.

Thanks
    considering the work you want to do, your budget and your preference for a big screen i'd recommend this 30" HP monitor (2560 x 1600 px, 1200,- USD)

http://h10010.www1.hp.com/wwpc/us/en...1-3297215.html

(make sure your graphic card supports it!)

and have fun with your new screen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,860 Times in 604 Posts
    EDIT: Go for a 26" NEC Spectraview. YOu won't regret it.

Thanks
    Personally, I much prefer two monitors to one large one- particularly for window-intensive apps like 3D programs. There's something about being able to compartmentalize things in separate monitors, and the really wide layout gives you more options for laying out panels & such. In general, I find more resolution to play with more useful than bigger physical size. YMMV.

I've never tried 3 monitors, but I think it would be heaven.