Team CHOW II-Team Coco Meowza - Page 4
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff guys!
    Sabrina and Majster - I think your character are all very interesting and they read well together. I like how you both made the two evil/good versions similar enough to be obviously the same character, that's definitely fundamental! So yes, awesome stuff

When everyone has posted theirs, we should paste them all into the same image and see how they react to each other--also, we could maybe play with size a bit, like I can imagine how the Rhino warrior would be quite the big and bulky guy!

Sekino - I really like your inking style, you did a fabulous job on Sab's gazelle I'd also love to do some inking, I'm only concerned that my style is somewhat different than yours. I also do it in Photoshop, which already gives it a different touch. Maybe I could try to emulate your style so it'll read better? Edit: Or I could try my hand at the same gazelle you inked and we could find a common ground between us?

As for the presentation, I really like what you did there! The savannah and overall colour scheme are both really good. I'm not entirely sure about having a faint copy of the charcter in the back is working, but maybe if it have less opacity it would be better. Just seems a bit distracting! But I generally like it We should definitely put some extra info about the character in a special column, at the bottom or something. Preferably with some interesting info, maybe just a few sentences long bio, or even the name of the char? Pondering our loud here

Anyway, here are my sketches! So will these that everyone is posting be the very final ones? I wouldn't mind but I'd probably have to sharpen many of the textures and accessories etc. I'm a bit worried that the Good one isn't as obviously African in her head accessories, maybe I should change her hairdo? Oh and she's supposed to be leaning against the rock, her pose is a little awkward without it in the background!

Name:  Ranger-Good.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  143.8 KB

Name:  Ranger-Evil.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  138.7 KB

Last edited by AsaB; August 19th, 2009 at 07:59 PM.
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sekino Much better! I looked once more into the arm thing and I finally found out what's throwing me off.

I checked the pose once more (in front of a mirror with a broomstick lol) and your additions made the way how she holds the staff a bit... painful. While you turned the shoulder a bit towards the front the arm still has the same position and thus looks as it is bent a bit more backwards as you'd naturally hold it. (The most comfortable would be also turning the arm towards the front as well. Which is actually the way it is in the original sketch.)
    Name:  Good-Satyr-paintover-1.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  431.6 KB

Anyways, the main reason why it appears to be this way is because the head is not in the middle of the shoulders. So correcting this the whole pose looks more balanced:
    Name:  Good-Satyr-Inked.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  135.7 KB
    That doesn't solve the problem with the arm though. Turning it a bit forward might do the job.

3m Looks good so far. I can provide some more critique when you're done.

Asa I really like your ideas! For the first one, the hairdo could really need a bit more African feel. Even without the rock her pose seems to be okay. For the second one the pose needs a bit more work. It looks like she's stumbling forwards. Also, her hand holding the bow looks unnaturally twisted.

Presentation
    I really like your idea, Sekino! Though I'd agree with Asa about the faint copy in the background. For the information I think that highly depends on how much we want to go into world design. We'd need to have a basic idea about the world and the conflict to provide further information.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the pointers, Sabrina, I'll try and do something about the Good hairdo and the Evil posture (haha, odd sentence). There's definitely room for tweaking, I think in fact that we should all make comments about each others designs to make sure everyone's happy with it

That being said, I thought I'd drop a few for the ones that have been posted

Majster
    I think your Rhino warrior is super cool! I think my only real concern is maybe not enough difference between the Good and Evil? I know I said earlier how much I liked how similar they were, but on a second thought, I think there's a little more room for pushing the differences. Overall I think they're great, but here are still just a few suggestions:
    - Possibly making the Evil more bigger/bulkier/rougher physically than the Good one? I realize they're supposed to be the same character, so obviously nothing drastic, but I thought it might underline his orientation.
    - I like how the Good one has a skin coat, that really fits, but I wonder if the Evil one should have something not as 'smooth'? Possibly a cliché, but I just picture something a little more spikey. Also, a suggestion from my Gamer Brother (yes, in caps), he thought he was missing a pair of big shoulder pads (He was, btw, really loving the character!)
    - For the Evil, some war paint on his face and body? In fact, the Good one could pull that off as well, but possibly something less aggressive than his Evil counterpart.
    - Maybe having some slight differences between the Good and Evil weapon. Nothing drastic, as always, but I think it's important that it'll be a little different.

Sabrina
    I don't think your character needs many tweakings, overall I think the design is great I love both of her hairdo's and she definitely strikes me as African. I think the only thing that concerns me is that she doesn't immediately strike me as a Sorceress (or Mage was it?). I think just a few alterations and/or additions to her outfit might easily remedy that A few suggestions:
    - I think both versions could have some extra bags or stuff that holds "magical juju" or potions and other cool things.
    - This is possibly just me, but I think she (and all characers, really) might have a little face or body paint It seems very African and might unite them. We could possibly make them all have the same symbol, even! Just a little something?

Yeah, I think that's pretty much all I have for now. By all means crit my Ranger too if there's something bothering you

Obviously, however, we don't have a lot of time and if there'll be any major changes, we need to do them fast. I just thought we might use a couple of days to fine-tune the characters and make small adjustments, which is why I think it's important everyone has their say on every character, to make sure everyone is happy with the overall designs

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is possibly just me, but I think she (and all characers, really) might have a little face or body paint
    Just quickly because I just noticed this - The satyr does have body paint. However, I didn't ink it because I figured we'll add it in the colouring process since it's paint and not an outlined form...

I do like the idea of having every character with body paint. Although I did envision the reptile having natural skin markings, a bit like a salamander's only more geometric, but it can go both ways. We definitely ought to paint theme up nicely when colouring

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WOW ALL YALL ARE HOT! OOHH'an yer arts hot too

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok guys here is the bad rhino warior, so what do you think?

Attached Images Attached Images  

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is just kickass, Majster, I love it! I hope the others are also content with the changes you made, I think you did a great job Like I said in the PM I sent out earlier, it'd be great if you could post your final images in higher resolution, similar in size like Sabrina's sketches above, it'll make inking easier

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekino View Post
    Just quickly because I just noticed this - The satyr does have body paint. However, I didn't ink it because I figured we'll add it in the colouring process since it's paint and not an outlined form...

I do like the idea of having every character with body paint. Although I did envision the reptile having natural skin markings, a bit like a salamander's only more geometric, but it can go both ways. We definitely ought to paint theme up nicely when colouring
    Yeah, of course, we won't ink the paint, I didn't think of that when I looked only at the inked version of the satyr!

I really like the idea of having the salamander's skin markings natural, it'll look good compared to the others, whose paint isn't...well, permanent!

Anyway, I did a quick colour experiment. I researched the colours that are mainly noticable in African tribes, but those are the prime colours: red, yellow and blue, along with white and black and some brownish ones.
    The secondary ones (orange, purple and green) were hardly, if ever, used. So I used these primes ones as a basis for this palette. I thought maybe each character would include all 3 prime colours, but only having 2 as most prominent, so they won't all be similar.

I actually thought afterwards that we could have some correlation between the Evil/Good versions: as in, maybe all evil versions have red more prominent and good blue.
    But like I said, I thought of that after I did this image, so that's not used there. Just an idea.

I also did a quick body or face paints on most of these, but these are just ideas!
    Oh, and Sekino's reptile healer isn't included since she has yet to post hers, this is just what we have so far
    And lastly, I changed my Good Ranger's hairdo, it seems more African to me now.

Name:  lineup.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  415.5 KB

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys I couldn't post finals sooner, sorry.
    I was at the studio all day and night, good news is that the recording is over and it went well.
    Anyway here are my two rhinos in higher resolution.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I played with colours, and here is what I came up with.
    I'm not to happy with the bad rhino's belt, any ideas guys?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the big pics, Majster, I'll get started on the ink

As for the Evil's belt, I agree that some minor adjustments could help. Maybe keep it more in line with what you had going in the earlier version of him? I quite like it there, at least. I'll start inking the Good dude and will keep the Evil's belt on a separate layer if we need to make some heavy changes, but that should preferably be quick, if not today

Oh, and the colours look good! The red bodypaint is pretty rad. I like the idea of having his armour gold (bronze?) instead of metal, it goes well with his skin. Overall, very nice, this is probably very close to what we'll end up with!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's the Good rhino warrior, all inked and ready Feel free to point out anything that's off, or whatever. I know Celeste and I have slightly different inking styles, but I don't think it's enough to be something to worry about. Once the colours are there, I doubt it's noticable.
    Sabrina, I'll send you the .psd file.

I'll do the Evil version later today, gotta do some studying first!

Name:  Rhino-Good-ink-lq2.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  176.9 KB

Last edited by AsaB; August 24th, 2009 at 12:44 PM. Reason: updated ink

22. The Following User Says Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job, Asa! Just some minor things I'd like to have fixed:

• different length of the arms
    • the fingers on the handle are not in line

Name:  Rhino-Good-ink-lq.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  147.9 KB

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah yes, you're quite right. I had already done some adjustments in the arm length from Majster's original, but I guess it wasn't enough! I'll take a look at these

EDIT: Fixed the errors, just edited the post above with the updated inked version!

Last edited by AsaB; August 24th, 2009 at 12:45 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Much better! Thanks. If you want you can send the psd - the first one arrived safely in my inbox.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool Already sent you the updated version in email!

I'm pretty much finished with the Evil version, but I'm wondering whether I should ink all the decorative patterns in his armour etc. You painting people! Would you think that necessary? I could also keep it on a separate layer, for convenience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job Asa, also can't wait to see painted version, Sabrina I have no doubt that you'll do it great.
    I'll try to do some backgrounds.
    Go team Go!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Asa - but you sent me the jpeg! XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok then, my first colouring attempt on the Rhino:

Name:  Rhino-Good(2).jpg
Views: 118
Size:  283.2 KB

Opinions? Critique?

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW
    Excelent work Sabrina!!!
    I wouldn't change anything, except maybe colour of the body paint, I think red, or white would look nice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you like it!
    For the body paint -- what do you think of this?

Name:  Rhino-Good(2).jpg
Views: 125
Size:  282.2 KB

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This also looks good, but when I compare them, yellow looks better, it metches the whole African mood. So I think the yellow should be the final.
    And sorry for extra job Sabrina, but I had to see how it looks.
    EXCELENT JOB!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent work, Sabrina, I really like it! The use of texture on his skin is great and I love the cape. And nice touch with the blood on his weapon As for the body paint, I think the designs themselves are awesome. I agree that the yellow is better than red, yet I can't help but wonder if just white would be best? Because there's already so many warm yellowish colour in the picture, I think it might pop more out.

This is also close to what I had pictured for the background Just some subtle and kinda blurry landscape, but yet obviously African. Maybe adding an Acacia tree to be 100%?

Alright, so I finished the Evil version of the Rhino. I did some adjustments from the original, but nothing major, mainly lenghtened his body and feet a bit and some tweaking in the decorative designs, especially on the armour.
    Thoughts?

Name:  Evil-Rhino-ink-lq.jpg
Views: 427
Size:  220.3 KB

37. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Asa!!!
    There are just two little things that have to be fixed, first his left hand needs to be a little thicker, and the second thing is the top of the weapon.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the headsup, Majster, I'll take care of it first thing tomorrow!
    But "top of the weapon", you mean just the pointy tip at the very top, or all the blades?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok then, variant 3 with white paint!

Name:  Rhino-Good(3).jpg
Views: 402
Size:  280.9 KB

Pick your fave!

42. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh, nicely done! I personally prefer the white one, I think it looks great

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's the one Sabrina, good job.

And for the bad one, I tought just about the pointy tip at the very top, it's little of the balance.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since I don't have much to do right now (Gimme lines to colour! XD) I just scribbled down some ideas for the ranger poses. Perhaps they are useful, Asa?

Name:  Ranger-Idea-1.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  192.1 KB

Name:  Ranger-Idea-2.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  125.0 KB

(I know the 2nd one is just some half-assed mess.)

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The evil Rhino. Not sure about the colour theme. Need feedback!

Name:  Evil-Rhino.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  173.4 KB

49. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pretty_Angel For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.