Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Team CHOW II-Team Coco Meowza

Thanks
    Hi guys, great work!
    Sorry for yesterday, I haven't been home all day, had to finish some documentation.
    I'll try to do some more work tonight.
    Anyway need to say some words about your work.
    AsaB: excellent job, I especially like that roll of toilet paper, it looks so mean.
    Sekino: I have no words, your work is fantastic, those cherry twins look so mmmmeeeoooowwww.
    XanaChama: I like that can, especially the face expression , it would look even better if you would add some color.
    Pretty_Angel: It's great, I like the plants, maybe because I have a house full of them.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sekino View Post
    This is how well our 'pre-CHOW' characters work together, in only 3 days (and minor adjustments of contrast and layout) Not too shabby for a start

Attachment 738526
    I think it's sooooooo goooooooood.
    I must say it again, GREAT JOB YOU GUYS!!!

It seems to me that my apple fisher needs some corrections, so I'll try to make it better.

Thanks
    Here is the apple fisher, hope it's little better.

Thanks
    Hi there!

Sorry for yesterday -- I don't know how but I totally missed the last posts. I've put the thread on my watchlist, but somehow it slipped through my radar... O_o Won't happen again. >_<

Thanks
    3mMajster- Good job on the apple! I really like that one; funny fellow

XanaChama- I really like the chair and the rocket is a nice touch!

Pretty_Angel- No worries. As we discussed before, this was just a bit of practice to get warmed up. We all contributed and it's looking great

The official brief is coming up around midnight!!

I believe we've achieved our initial goal with this bit of practice. We have a better idea of how we each interpret ideas and that our styles are compatible (that's good news!). We'll just handle the brief and whatever is thrown at us the same way.

It seems that the genre will be pre-determined in the brief (Daestwen hinted at it), so I'm sure looking forward to our next brainstorming session...

Cheers y'all!

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Hi guys! Love the sketches, the ideas so far have been fabulous!

The brief is up!
    Just gonna post a brief summary:

- Teams of five members need 8 portraits.
    - You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character.
    - That means we need to design 4 characters, 8 portraits in all.

PLEASE SELECT ONE OF EACH CATEGORY FOR EACH CHARACTER.

Race:
    - Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)

Class:
    - Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc)
    - Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)
    - Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc)
    - Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc)
    - (feel free to make up something for this, too)

Alignment:
    - Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

So! It's somewhat different from the last round of Team Chow. The genre is pretty specific in this case, that is, fantasy. In the words of daestwen: "We're looking at High Fantasy here, but I don't mind if you blur the culture lines a little bit. As far as style goes, that's totally up to your team. But try to keep it in genre." It looks like need to tweak our approach here a bit. It seems they're looking for humanoid characters, but we better ask daestwen just in case, just so know how our objects/fruits idea is gonna work. I'm still all for the cartoony tactic we agreed on, even though this is all high fantasy, it doesn't mean we need to go down the serious, realistic road.

Are people all familiar with this kind of fantasy genre? I definitely am, being a big video gamer and a sister of 3 boys :p If anyone isn't, it's probably a good idea to do some reading to see what we're dealing with.

I think it'd be good if we managed to have another live chat ASAP. Are people free today?

And lastly, here's a coloured version of my beaurocratic blackberry bloke! Made a new sketch. Just to show better how I ink and colour.
    Attachment 739372
    sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Awesome! The suspense was killing me!

To be honest, Since Daest had warned not to get to entangled in any genre, I always had thought that our objects-fruits theme was for our group practice only.

And how ironic that uber-fantasy was the very theme we were vowing stay away from! That said, I do love elves and orcs as much as anyone; so it's all good I really like the good/evil twist also. I agree that we should stick with linear/cartoon style because it is our main common ground. I'll check for you guys on MSN (I'll be on for a couple of hours).

EDIT: Sweetness!!! I hadn't even seen the prizes!!
    Last edited by Sekino; August 1st, 2009 at 11:34 AM.

Thanks
    I actually really liked that object/fruit idea, if we could've, I would've loved to have taken it further. But you're right, we should come up with something new for the actual brief, it's obviously not gonna work.

Haha, yeah, just was I was thinking, pretty ironic! I like high fantasy, though, I was just prepared to try something new with this, but it's all good I'm sure we could put a new and different twist to this all and make something interesting!

Alright, I'll be on MSN soon!

Thanks
    I haven't come up with any worthy sketches so far, been mostly researching. I made these pictures for me of both races and classes in WoW, and just thought I'd share! Maybe it'll be useful to someone. If anyone has something similar, by all mans post! I know there is obviously much more available in classes and races, but this is a start
    These are all screencaps from http://www.worldofwarcraft.com

Races
    Attachment 739612

Classes
    Attachment 739613Attachment 739614

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AsaB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Here are a few sketches, The first for some elf-warrior (good and evil), the second for some reptilian species' mages (good/evil as well)... Might be all I can post today because I'm now leaving for a wedding

Attachment 740481

Attachment 740482

Attachment 740483

Later!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice ones Sekino, I especially like that wizard, it's so cool.
    I was busy, so I did only one sketch.
    It's an elven mage, I know it's not the style we agreed on, but it just came out of me.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3mMajster For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Asa for the info! And nice first sketch, 3m!

I finally got around to making a moodboard for the style I'm thinking about (optional, again). Here are a few examples of line-based characters that are dynamic and fun as well as lavish. The key is to have crisp, detailed lines and to have them complemented with rich colours (this board is for a visual style, not a theme):

Attachment 742780

As far as the theme is concerned, aside from the mandatory classical fantasy stuff (represented here by Dark Crystal ), I believe we had discussed incorporating some African or desert cultural elements. I'm picturing some semi-desertic savanna, hence why most of my characters so far have bare feet... among other things... ;P

Attachment 742781

(I'll make a more detailed moodboard for theme if I get around to it. But I think we all get a good idea of what desert/african feel is... If we're still up for that)

Here's a quick example of colouring; I'm thinking rich, warm colours and the characters having colourful skins (orange, purple, green...):

Attachment 742797

Thoughts? Other ideas?

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sekino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dammit - Firefox ate my text! D: So here the short version:

Love your sketches so far - especially the lizard wizard.

I finally wrote my test in German civil law yesterday so that I have more time on my hands! Yay! So far I did a bunch of sketches but I still need to scan and refine them. So give me another day, please?

In general I think it could also help if we finally could decide on a theme or golden thread or something. As much as I love drawing random fantasy creatures/characters I think it would help our working process if we have a goal to work on. I'm pretty much open for the idea on doing non-European-centred designs. We should also decide some basics like What kind of races shall we use? Classic fantasy stuff or made up ones?

As so far I'm with you on the style and colours, Sekino. Warm rich colours for the good guys and perhaps cold rich colours for the baddies? Though I'd prefer to make the baddies not too dark and evil themed. The last thing we need is having a bunch of goths or something in the end.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast