TEAM CHOW II :: Team Lego Lickers - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: TEAM CHOW II :: Team Lego Lickers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So Matte_Art and I just had a great chat, which resulted in some interesting ideas.

So, we were thinking about a basic/general idea of the world our chars are in. The chat log will be posted on the Box.net account for your perusal, but I'd like us to meet again ASAP to try and get some of these questions hammered out.

1) What are the rules of magic, and how does this affect our chars and what they can do?

2) What is the world, and how does this affect the chars?

So the idea we came up with was a town that was cursed, where the heroes were actual everyday citizens in some way. We initially thought that during the night, their evil self would take over, but then we turned that on its head, and though it might be more interesting if the evil versions of our characters we bad during the day, and became their good versions at night.

Our intention was to get away from stereotypes, and get really interesting chars, while still having the fighter, theif etc, classes from the brief. I think this was already being explored, I know sketcheth and jdgeez posted up there. Let's meet and explore this more!

Until then, I'm working on shape thumbs, reference gathering etc.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1) What are the rules of magic, and how does this affect our chars and what they can do?

2) What is the world, and how does this affect the chars?
    I think these are definitely some of the key points we should be trying to address absolutely as soon as possible! We should make that a focus at the meeting tomorrow. It seems like we need to tighten the reins on our creative horses for a bit and funnel that energy into conceptualizing for some specific purposes.

I like the ideas that are flying around a lot! Let's keep them coming guys!

These are just two more small thumb pages...I want to realize some of these on a bit bigger scale so you guys can actually...understand some of my thoughts. I tried going straight from the reference of the stereotypes and tried to get creative with them...they'll make more sense large scale, I promise!

Last edited by sketcheth; August 6th, 2009 at 02:37 AM.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, great stuff is brewing up! For sure!

Okay, here's s'more thumbs and a character design really fast.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quickie! The brawler child...
    Name:  080609_brawler_child.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  155.2 KB
    and his alternate?
    Name:  080609_child_concept.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  114.7 KB

Last edited by sketcheth; August 6th, 2009 at 03:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,101 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, so Matte, myself, and sketcheth had a very fruitful meeting today. I can't speak for the others, but my brain is officially full! , and I will be re-reading the chat log once it is posted up on the Box.net account to make sure I didn't miss anything. I've also created a folder for inspirational/idea generating music for peeps to ingest. Matte I believe is posting a collated page of ideas and things that were discussed.

Here's some more thumbs, this time trying out shapes/silhouettes. I'm really pumped from today's brainstorm! Go team!

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  39.5 KB

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sketch, do you have the skillful hunter book?

Do not, ever, under any circumstances, not have fun.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeegz View Post
    sketch, do you have the skillful hunter book?
    Haha, yeah I do. Why, can you tell? :3

Earendil: The thumbs keep getting better, man! You should consider doing them a little bigger so they're easier to read, if you can. Unless your compy doesn't allow you to. Anyways, I like what I'm seeing. And thanks for the inspiration music in the box!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just browsin, looks like ya'll are on a roll, some pretty interesting ideas and thumbs. Just wanted to say good luck and it'll be cool to see where yas go with it. We'll be watching (oh creepy)....

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Izer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah i can tell haha. it isnt a bad thing though. i like the pose of the 2nd brawler the more than the first. in the first, i think the pose needs work because having the arms in the same position makes it look a bit flat and stiff.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dudes, so reptile / lizzard man.

Evil : escaped prison convict, his past. Unknown. He is bandaged around his face, aside from his eyes to hide his race. He has escaped, but still has shackles on his wrists. I think his character reminds me of the way Sasquatch is unseen, but people believes he exists.

Good : I liked the idea of a life giver, who seemed to float in air, above the ground, but that may conflict with our other 'character #1'
    so i was thinking of a good Samaritan. someone who's giving lollies to little kids, and building houses for ones that got destroyed from storms that pass through the city.

any further ideas of what symbols i could add to my characters to push their motives, and their believability.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the way you're blocking in shapes! Keep it going, I'd like to see you try to use more quick details in the thumbs to suggest the kind of clothes/armor they've got as well as just plain silhouettes! More concepts! More! Also maybe on the heads it would help to just have white where the eyes are supposed to be so that we, as the viewer can see more into the designs. I like 'em so far!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, here are some concepts from today's OC session with Sketcheth and myself. Would like peeps to try working on the characters we've discussed so far. jdeegz, awesome stuff! Moar!

These are concepts for the Child Healer/Assassin character. I'd like us to finish our Design Document so we can post char briefs for folks to see. Let's try and hammer that out by next week eh?

Name:  Healer-Assassin-Child.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  194.7 KB

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Earendil For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, more concepting for the Healer Child char. Trying to think of everything, and remember everything I've learned.

Name:  Healer1.jpg
Views: 258
Size:  502.9 KB

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like the floating, non-human from the oc. the aura around him, though probably just to pop the white coloured head out, is great.
    i like that pose a lot too.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mwahahaha

lizard convict.

looking to do a lizard honourable as his good version.
    was also thinking of some type of super hero assassin, which do you think would be cooler?

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gyiugk

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    kjukkhkl

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i need to hold somones hand, im tryin to cross a busy street with this dude!

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    reconstructing the anatomy, its pretty far off!

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for lack of crits and things, about to post this, and then Im headed to bed.

Sketcheth and I had a sketch session this weekend, so we started exploring shapes.

Plus a quick sketch for this fishergirl we are doing, more info later on that

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work jdeegz. I'll probably tell you this over IM anyway, but oh well. I'm interested in what he would look like without those chains etc. Or maybe he created a weapon out of his former shackles, that could make for interesting design. Yeah, your perspective and anatomy is way off. I'd say keep working on it, but I think we should save stuff like that for the finalized char drawing. Focus on design/costuming etc. I'd like us to lock in the designs, and be preparing our finalized drawings by the end of this week if at all possible.

Matte & Sketcheth, great to see more OC stuff. I like your thoughts for our fat mage lady. Some of the thumbs remind me of the witch from Howls Moving Castle, but I think if you tweak enough we can avoid similarities.

And now, I have the first draft of one of our character's short story writeups. Let me know what you think.

"An Evening With The Duke"

A platter, made of silver and filled with various drinks, sat unmoving in the air.

"Some refreshments Sir?"

Giray looked at the waiterboy, then at the assortment of offered drinks, and selected a small, square glass of Relban Brandy. Expensive, but nothing less than expected at such an affair. It was said the Duke always threw great parties. Giray hoped he'd be able to meet him before the night was finished.

He thanked the boy, noting the foreign features above the Hilean garment. The City had it's fair share of travelers, but not many these days since the _____ of __. Commerce, travel, had all but been eliminated, with only a few daring ships a year. Provisions were tight, and new methodologies had to be constructed to combat the overall shortage in resources.

Giray watched as the waiterboy gracefully and swiftly weaved through the hubbub and the crowd, offering all manner of liquids to ease a Noble's spirit.

"Stuck with the rest of us." he muttered, and took a large sip from his glass.

Around him the party was in full swing, literally. From end to end of the large banquet hall, acrobats swept above the tables of the party guests. Near one corner, a slender man dressed in a tight, lizard-skin suit, contorted himself into the most grotesque shapes imaginable. In another corner a magician delighted (or horrified) guests as he appeared to melt into the floor. Giray took another sip, smiling. There hadn't been magic in ages, but parlor tricks could still amuse and entertain.

The musicians onstage played a rowdy, upbeat tune, as people danced nearby. A blue-haired acrobat swooped down and stole the decorative headgear from a nearby Nobleman, who feigned protest and surprise between his laughter. It was a short separation, though, as it was plopped back on his head when she swung around again.

"A happy ending." Giray smiled, and finished his glass.

"Would you like more of the same Sir?" the waiterboy said behind him.

He turned, about to accept the offer, when his arm knocked one of the glasses off the tray. Before he could even exclaim, however, the boy had caught it and placed it neatly next to the others.

"Or perhaps I should cut you off now Sir?" he said, grinning.

"Well handled, but no- I'm not that easily swayed by brandy, Relban or not!" Giray laughed.

"Very well Sir." the waiterboy bowed, and disappeared again.

Carefully, Giray struck a path around the animal-masques and the glittering shawls, over to the eastern fireplace. and settled himself into a large, opulent chair. Sitting there, it occurred to him how fortunate he was, and a warm bubbly feeling crawled through his body, as he continued to take view of the festivities. He never imagined being surrounded by Nobles, let alone in a party hosted by The Duke.

The bubbly feeling again. Perhaps the expensive liquid was affecting him more than he thought. He chuckled to himself, beaming with contentment, and watched the blue-haired acrobat perform a backward flip off her trapeze.

Parties were fun.

He sat there for a while drinking in both the brandy and the scene, when there was some sort of commotion near the entrance. Twisting around his chair, he saw the Duke and his entourage had arrived, and the Duke himself was shaking hands with the evening's participants. Giray's palms started to sweat. He was going to introduce himself and shake hands with the Duke!

His glass was empty. Giray looked around for the waiter-boy, but quickly decided that in this case, less was more, and would help him make a better impression. He stood to leave, but noticed the Duke onstage, preparing to address the partygoers, and fell back into the comfortable chair. Maybe could find a used chair like this one somewhere...

"Noblemen, friends, and honored guests!" the Duke began. The general noise died down.

"I have only a few words for you, for the night is young, and we have much more fun in store!"

The Nobles cheered and applauded, while the musicians struck a few chords.

"I know that this past year has been hard for us all. But tonight dear people, is our answer to such hardships. Like this party -" he paused, casting his gaze about the hall.

"- we will keep this city alive!"

Suddenly, the blue-haired acrobat flew onto the stage, narrowly missing the Duke as she folded like a ragdoll into a crumpled heap. A few of the guests screamed, and everyone drew back in shock. The poor girls neck had been slashed, and half her face was skinned. Blood pooled around her hair.

Giray watched horrified, as a small dark figure dropped onto the stage next to her. What the devil was it? The features were masked by some kind of animal skull it wore, and along its body were pieces of dark, wicked-looking armor. It turned slowly towards the Duke, pulling a slender, curved dagger out from behind the back.

"He's after the Duke!" someone cried, and at that moment, the figure leapt. It moved fast.

One of the guests threw himself in front of the Duke. The small figure ran up his chest, and kicked his nose, breaking it, as the man howled and fell backwards. The Duke threw up his hands and cried out. The knife flashed - and stopped.

A high-pitched giggle rebounded in the hall.

Giray suddenly felt a strange sensation in his chest. A crushing dread. He tried to get up from his chair, but only succeeded in stumbling to his knees. Looking around, he noticed others were just as frozen, their eyes wide with terror. It was as if a curtain were lowering over his spirit.

Giray's eyes whipped back to the stage, as the figure grabbed the Duke by the throat and slammed him bodily onto his back. The Duke gasped for air, blood beginning to seep from the gash in his head. It giggled again, and Giray watched as the Duke began screaming and convulsing. The thing giggled uncontrollably now. Above it, a strange symbol appeared glowing, bathing the hall in red light. The Duke's face began to melt away, his screams becoming distorted as his windpipe and chest caved in. It was a horrible, alien scream that rang in Giray's ears.

The figure stood up, the remains of the Duke nothing more than slop. It hopped of the stage, giggled again, and slashed a woman's cheek to the bone. She screamed, but remained rooted to her spot.

It was getting near him now.

Giray struggled to move, his body refusing to answer to his mind. Fear gripped him as it walked right by him, heading towards one of the large windows.

It stopped. Slowly, it turned and looked right at him.

A world of panic erupted within Giray, as the figure walked right up to him, reached down and giggled.

"Would you like more of the same Sir?" The figure held up the square glass, unmoving.

Giray let out a croak of recognition.

"Or perhaps I should cut you off now Sir?" The voice mocked him.

Even with the mask, Giray could see the boyish grin.

He never saw the knife.

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    HAH! i KNEW it was the waiter all along!

awesome storrryyyy.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, this story gives some very nice insight into how cold and calculating the boy is.

This would make for a very good storyboard and animation if we really had the time to go for it, but instead we'll have to do like our original plan and include the backstory in the final, almost like you're reading a book

My Bloggins

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lizards

Judgment -
    Silcha 'BLUE SCAR' Drago

The ruler of the city has hired top notch warriors to escort, and guard him while living his daily life.

This Erania Justice force is often bombarded with assassination attempts and death threats by the unruly public. The emperor has been ruling with an unjust fist and his council is powerless to remove him from the throne.

One of the escorts, Silcha Drago, called BLUE SCAR by the locals, gambles on a regular basis. Accompany his bad habits with a short temper, and bad things can happen.

Naturally this position of protecting the emperor is given a certain amount of power and command. These officers should be respected and cared for by those who worship the ruler. But when they abuse the power, they make innocent civilians miserable.

Revenge -
    Silcha 'BLUE SCAR' Drago

Silcha is a decorated protector of ____ city. His work is revered by the public for his courage, and leadership.

Raiders attacked the city, but it was met with heavy defense. There was a rat on the inside, who took Silcha as a captive. He used the cuffs and chains of the city to take Silcha to a makeshift prison.

The raiders were looking to ransom the guard off for a fortune, knowing his worth, and his well-liked personality. The emperor would be a fool not to try and recover his most beloved protector.

The makeshift 'prison' was weakly fortified, and while the raiders were sleeping, Silcha was able to wedge himself out. Now he is seeking the leader of the raiders, taking revenge into his own hands, and trying to protect the city from any more future devastating attacks.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, jdeegz, it's a challenge not to give it away. It's like in those Alien books, the author tries to sneak in something like "We shouldn't jump to conclusions about anything," Webber said, coughing slightly<<<ZOMGS CHESTBURSTER INCOMING!

jdeegz, some thoughts:
    1) The judge dude we discussed in the chat was a much more f'd up dude? He seems tame now. I think you hint at it with the "abuse of power" etc. but where'd the other guy go?
    2) Working towards a more cloistered city would allow us to focus better, instead of expanding the story world to include raiders from outside the city.
    3) Is Drago a temporary name? It's way too typical for a lizard char.

4) Overall, I think we're aiming for an Order vs Chaos polarity, not Judgement vs Revenge. Maybe a judge/guard could represent order/law, while the escaped prisoner chaos/rebellion.

Keep up the good work team! Woo! *lego signs*

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my idea behind the 'judge' was that he needs to appear to be a tame man, in order to get the position of power he has. so for him to be a sexual leather freak who is at the same time a masochist, there is no way to have the type personality in that position, unless its kept hidden from the public, thus he wouldn't really be a chaotic dude.

whats there to focus on other than our 3 characters? saying he got captured isnt adding another layer of stylistic and design details we need to consider.

im kind of partial to his name

sorry im being so defensive, just letting yah know where I stand, and my thoughts on the dude.

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    and i just wrote judgment / revenge becuase those two words came to mind

the order would be the escaped prisoner person
    and the chaos would be the d-bag guard for the ruler

meckman12 (6:32:18 PM): well, I guess the question becomes, what are we presenting to the viewer? important question!

well i wanted to present a sort of dirty, drunk / gambling guard, but at the same time publicly presentable

i was thinking the convict would bring order because he is a highly praised character of the city, and hes out for justice on the raiders that took him captive, and killed his fellow soldiers -- so i wanted to present him sort of struggling, but at the same time not a bad guy, but a good guy, almost like a super hero

so basically the 'good / evil ' is describe by my two illustrations by two men in the same position (guards for the king) where one is abusive and perhaps corrupt, and the other is sacrificing himself for the greater good of the city

Website

Blog

Sketch-ream!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to jdeegz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Character sketches for Fisherwoman. Gotta push it moar! Rar! Gotta draw it larger too if I'm trying to show hooks in the skin. Advice appreciated!

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick change in gears. Some sketches for our Scribe/Scryer/Mage Lady. I like working in value, but drawing forces me to improve on perspective, understand of form etc. EDIT: Actually, my drawing could use more hatching/value anyway. Hmmm must remember this..

Name:  MageGalSketches.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  102.1 KB

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.