Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Is it really the best you can do. One time only chance to see these over the course of 2 days? Not even that? Just been on Holiday and came back today, meaning I missed out on the colour theory. I am really disappointed because I would have thrown money at you to see that. Subscriptions for monthly, quarterly, and annual is essential for streaming videos.

I'm not too against the decision, and might be ignorant to all what's happening, but its making it really hard for me to buy into these videos now when I only have a very short duration to see them. I like to see my videos many times because I hate taking notes. This scheme is counter-productive to the way I learn. Good luck with it all the same.

Last edited by Rist; July 27th, 2009 at 04:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Those of us who have sing up for colour theory, can see the class for 30 days, so yes we can see it more than once, just not on "live"

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ah okay, that's alright then. Is there no way for those who missed the live session to still pay for the 30 day duration?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steffler View Post
    Guys I know your testing out the tech and everything, but I think everyone wants to have some sort of lasting copy for future reference. While all this is in beta anyway.

For example, I am still learning foundation drawing. When I progress into painting I will have to recall everything or refer to notes from this weekends lectures.

I know you guys are trying to protect yourselves from piracy but perhaps you could have a subscription based membership. A free membership gets you normal access like we have now. A monthly subscription would grant you access to non interactive videos lets say $25 per month. And for your live events you have to buy a ticket, say $50 for subscribers, regular price $95. Then afterwords its in the library for future reference.

Im not saying your product is not priced right but you could generate huge amounts of residual cash flow from the people your lectures inspire.

In your color lecture you mentioned a few times, having different levels of participation. Hypothetically speaking I may only want to hear the lecture, so I buy a one time pass. After watching, my interest goes through the roof because I can see this material is exactly what Im looking for, so I subscribe for a month. Now I want to break into entertainment art, so I become a premium member so I can get access to exercise files. Your lectures can attract new subscriptions by offering all that material we requested after the lecture.

Video blogs, video tours, live workshop streaming. You could commission the community masters to come to your studio and record a 30 min spot on various topics. That would benefit the artists portfolio as well as add one more recording for your library.

At the moment I have an annual budget of $1200 for subscriptions, workshops, conventions and digital downloads. Besides Kelbytraining and Lynda.com I havent found anything like those that are specifically geared to teach fine art or digital art. Except for Xia at Idrawgirls.com. Regardless of where it comes from I will spend at least that much this year. I would spend it all in one place; if such a place existed.

I love those subscription sites because I can learn the software, but im starving to find that same type of media in an artistic format. Sure, I can buy expensive digital downloads, but honestly I have been disappointed by all of them except those I got at Idrawgrils. Those are cheap downloads comparatively. They come with loads of files and the feature tutorials are 4 hours long. Everything else is free. Not to mention hes a great teacher, so im eager to be supportive.

Just my 2 cents. Im looking forward to more webcasts but at a $100 a pop my budget is gunna get creamed. I may pass on some subjects, but I would buy them all if there was a way to make it affordable.

Think of it this way. If you sold 100 tickets for the next show you would gross $9,500. Then its gone after 30 days and those 100 students might retain most of it afterwords. Now if you find a way to archive the material, without it getting bootlegged, you can then restream that same lecture. Which also increases the value of the content in the consumers eyes on the front end. So you would not only be able reach more artists but there is a record of the event for newcomers.

In the past I watched the highlights on youtube or used a free trial to sample tutorials. When I was first learning about subscription based training I canceled all of my online game accounts to make the switch. When I realized that I could build assets from the exercise files I upgrade to premium memberships. I can imagine Massive Black has a pretty friggen huge assets library.

So if those same 100 tickets also sold 50 subscriptions you would gross an additional 15,000 after just one year. All this would require fancy graphics and editing to really market it outside CA.org. Not to mention you need to have an archive to subscribe too. But I bet you could get the community to contribute to development for free tickets or something I would do it for free just to have it on my resume.

I guess thats more than my 2 cents huh?
    Steffler, I kinda get what you're saying, but on affordability you really need to keep something in mind... A color theory class at my school (which is cheaper than most art schools) is over $2000 and doesn't cover much of what this lecture did. Factoring in that Jason burned up an entire weekend without making a dime off it, $95 is chump change. Just take good notes. If you missed something that you cant catch again over the next 29 days, others have been posting their notes in the forum as well.

Thanks
    The Color Theory class was out of control. It was about 7 hours long and didn't drag for a minute. I consider myself fairly well read on the topic, but Jason was teaching all sorts of ways to use color and value that I hadn't come across before. The streaming technology is actually really cool and worked great.

I went back and forth Sunday morning trying to decide if I really wanted to spend my day inside looking at my computer screen, but in the end I couldn't pass up the opportunity. If you're sitting on the fence about this next one, I encourage you to take the leap. While I obviously haven't taken the course yet, if it's half as informative as the color one, you will not be sorry.

But what I really wanted to say was everyone who is on holiday or working or whatever, you might consider signing up for the class anyway since there will be a streaming version of it online for 30 days afterwards (I'm assuming they're doing that for this one, too). You can't take advantage of the asking questions element, but you can watch it when you get back!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Can anyone from the UK make some comments on connection quality and the time of day the live feed was shown for the colour theory video? Thanks,

Thanks
    Too bad I can't use my "education loan" towards these instead of my overpriced college classes. College doesn't really allow me the opportunity to budget for a monthly subscription.

Will try to attend this one though--this is definitely something that is hardly taught in school. I've only seen a couple seminars for this aspect of the art world at my uni. Only grazing the top of some of the deeper subjects of this topic.

Looking forward to it!

"Be either full-assed or no-assed. There is no half assed."

SSG SKETCHPOT/FLYING RADISHES/ OR JUST PLAIN AWESOME.
    KT | Reutte | Darkmoon |Asatira | AnthonyV

[CENTER]
    My Website
    ~ My Sketchbook ~ My Blog ~ My Twitter ~ My Deviantart ~

Thanks
    This sounds really great!! I would be totally into this if i wasn't flying home that day.

keep up the great education!

Thanks
    Wow another one! The color theory lecture was amazing and well worth the money. I will be in every class from now on as long as I can afford it. Thanks Jason!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Can anyone from the UK make some comments on connection quality and the time of day the live feed was shown for the colour theory video? Thanks,
    amazing, 7 - 2am, not that bad all in all, i was actually in bed by the end and forgot to fire a few questions, but definately worth the money,

but i will now use caps because im slightly inebriated

JASON ITS TOO SOON MAN, LET MY BANK RECOVER :'(

dan's sketchbook

The ssg with no name.. for now
    NRX - Frasermct - Walid D - The wannabe Dr, Mr Phil - Dilated

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidharth Chaturvedi View Post
    Steffler, I kinda get what you're saying, but on affordability you really need to keep something in mind... A color theory class at my school (which is cheaper than most art schools) is over $2000 and doesn't cover much of what this lecture did. Factoring in that Jason burned up an entire weekend without making a dime off it, $95 is chump change. Just take good notes. If you missed something that you cant catch again over the next 29 days, others have been posting their notes in the forum as well.
    I completely agree. But the main competitor here isn't the universities. Its other online educators. Sure this is a great value as it is, when you compare it to just the tuition at traditional schools. But its expensive when you compare it to other types of similar online media. Granted there is a lot of value from the Massive Black portfolio, but were talking about fundamentals of art here. To get accreditation for the school he will have to teach those in addition to what other concentrations they start with.

Yeah Jason did a long weekend this time. But in the future as they produce more broadcasts its going to boil down to about a 4 hour lecture. Thats $25 dollars an hour roughly. Now at my university I spent about $1200 for an art course. I went 3 times a week, 3 hours each day, for 16 weeks give or take. About 144 hours of instruction. That averages down to $8.33 per hour of instruction. We spent about 2 weeks on color in my foundation design course and my instructor covered a lot of the same fundamentals Jason reviewed.

online accredited and non accredited training is exploding right now and it seems that Jason wants his new company to be able to teach students who would pay with financial aid and student loans. I dont see getting accredited for any other reason. Which I think is just awesome. I would change schools in a heartbeat. But by the time his school comes online I will have graduated and will be busy repaying student loans.

But what about all those people who cant get the funding to go to school. Even Jason says you dont have to have the degree you just have to learn the art. Or maybe art is just a passion and not a career. If this material was archived and accessible to review it could reach an even bigger market. I see many teenagers here on CA who are ready for advanced lecture.

Im just saying there is a real niche with online subscriptions. It could fund the start up of the school itself. Not to mention having the web/video tech ready for online programs. Its only a matter of time before someone has an online subscription plan for commercial art training, if it isnt already here.
    I cant afford to watch very many $100 lectures that im not ready for. But even beginners are interested in the product. If you can reach them, viola...
    There is your digital revolution

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Steffler For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Oh man... Jason, you're gonna ruin me. Maybe in the future we could have two weeks between classes? Not sure if I'm gonna do this one or not... I really really want to, since I don't think I'll find this info anywhere else, at least not easily. Just not sure if I can afford it so soon after the last class. Do you know if you'll be repeating it anytime in the future?

Last edited by Ian Barker; July 27th, 2009 at 09:19 PM.

Thanks
    I wouldn't mind dropping money on this at all! But is there anyway you could do one during the evening too?! Or at least a video download! My days are already spoken for, unfortunately. :/ I wouldn't mind gaining some crazy knowledge and supporting the community at the same time.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1