Sketchbook: Travis's 2D and 3D sketchbook - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really admiring those studies you did there. Some really nice stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing either that ogre or the 6 leg creature done up in Photoshop with a tad bit of colour or lighting. Would put that new hardware to the test eh?
    Keep it up, cant wait to see more sketchboooooook stuf.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4tonmantis - Thank you very much for the critique. My knowledge of bone anatomy (well all anatomy) is very rudimentary. This is a question for you as well as others, should I try to improve my knowledge of human form first or should I study human and animal anatomy in unison?

Jeff Bartzis - Thanks man, should I redraw the 6 legged creature in perspective or do it as an ortho or side perspective shot?

Here are some anatomy studies from Paul Richer's Artistic Anatomy and one study from Michelangelo (From spring-summer 2012). A lot of images from the sketchbook pile left to process, I'll try to get it all up here ASAP.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This batch of studies is great, you inspired me to really buckle down tonight and see what I can get done. On the flat on shots, your symmetry appears to be off.. This is something that takes a great deal of practice but is worth the time and effort to get right. It's usually not as noticeable in 3/4 view drawings but it sticks out like a sore thumb in non-orthographic drawings.

about the anatomy question..
    Human anatomy is extremely important to learn.. and even harder to completely master.. animal study can be the same only exponentially due to the varied nature of creatures that live on the planet and in our stories and minds..
    That being said.. I believe in studying the human form in part and supplementing with actual animal studies when able.
    I got in the habit of mindlessly scribbling out pages and pages of Bridgman.. and wasn't actually learning anything of consequence until I slowed down, read what was on the pages and started understanding that it's not about the specific bones as much as it is about understanding what their purpose is and how they are involved in our bodily operations.
    Taking that philosophy into animal studies, you can understand how and why animals are made the way they are, what their characteristics are, and how to better show their form or imply it if need be.

A great way to loosen up and find these connections is through gesture drawing. Pick a movie that has a TON of both people and animals/creatures and just start knocking out whatever you can pick up (most of them will be very loose scribbles that look like crap but teach you a lot). Some great movies to do this with are Hidalgo, Jungle Book (the live action one that isn't crappy), The Ghost and the Darkness, Gorillas in the Mist, and Willard or just watch Animal Planet for an hour.

I'm definitely not an expert but this along with doing photo studies are helping my understanding of how to actually represent forms.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4ton,
    Wish there was a double thanks. I should be receiving Gottfried Bammes's Complete Guide to Life Drawing in the mail soon so I will be studying from that. My art teacher strongly recommend I study it first before looking at Loomis, Bridgeman, Hogarth etc. Excited to start. Going to sketch animals from video asap, I'll also make some trips out to the zoo during the summer. Great advice again, thank you.

Most of these studies here are recent, the few in pen are from imagination in late 2010, one is a study from Vilppu.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some cafe drawings from March 2011 till January 2012 minus those posted two or three pages back. The order is roughly kept intact... especially for the most recent drawings. It was a good lesson to start writing a date on all pages in my sketchbooks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been blown away from your productivity Trav, you are really starting to inspire me to sit down and pull out finals, I gotta wake early so I will return to fester more on your SB, warble if you will

8. The Following User Says Thank You to KrispyKream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks KK, keep in mind these cafes are since March 2011. I'm aiming to do more over the course of 2012.

Here are some cafe drawings from today and life drawings from the past two weeks. The drawings in red are after a 5-6 month break from life drawing, was a great lesson that I have to make it at least a weekly part of my practice. They range from 2 minutes to 5.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    trav add me brah

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxcid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what a fresh start on life drawings dude, For cafe even i didn't produce that much in 2011 the way you did, but lets get to this festering SB
    I've noticed from your previous drawings there's a more fluid, loose line integrated into your life drawings now, your figures look more free, and expressive, really love the light lines, and quick tones

keep posting

13. The Following User Says Thank You to KrispyKream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Holy shit that's a lot of posting... I don't like critiquing poses that I know are done in a time constraint.. they aren't as much for everyone else as they are for forcing your bad habits out into the open and also for exploring. I will say that you captured the motion well and I like that you're blocking in the shadowed planes. If you can, try getting a field notebook that has midtone paper and take a #6 or #7 or even charcoal and take a white pencil/marker/crayon whatever as well.. You can not only lay in some great gesture but also practice your full value ranges.
    I don't remember what your final goal was.. but also consider really pushing the gesture lines and exaggerating every now and then. Even if you don't plan on cartooning, it can help keep you from locking yourself into a pattern of what your mind expects to see.

On that book, let me know how it is.. I'm trying to not buy any more books but if your art teacher is recommending that as a primer pre-anatomy studies, it can't be bad.
    Other recommended reading.. Anatomy for Artists and Atlas of Foreshortening
    I just spotted a book on Ecorche that I might check out.. I'll let you know if it's worth getting

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Short update tonight, got home late from class.
    Progress on the cube study from last week and a quick concept for a near-future spaceship. Never thought I would learn so much from drawing a cube. Interested what impression the ship gives, is it new? was it precision engineered? what story would you give it?
    I have an idea for it but I want to see if it's communicating any of the right information.

4ton, Simblets book is excellent. I havn't checked out the Atlas of Foreshortening but I will at some point in the future. As far as the Gottfried Bammes book, my teacher recommended it based on how volumetric drawing is used to show anatomy. He suggested that books such as Loomis, Hogarth, etc describe 3d but not as clearly or precisely as Bammes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A little critique: You need to have a bit less zing in your art. Perhaps try adding a bit of slaz. I think it would help with keeping things consistent as there are afew poses that dont look very geometrical. Some even are reminiscent of a kitten which was raised inside of a glass cube. Perhaps try a bit more edging too.
    Cool space ship too.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Bartzis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jeff, I'll try to do that tomorrow at life drawing.

Here's a new sketch tonight, saw something an old scribble and decided try it out as a longer drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zing and slaz a side i really like how the cube is coming along dont forget to add the cast shadow. solid.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxcid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, Tb0ne, the space ship is looking believable as an early stage. It looks like something I'd call scrap-tech.. like it's built from old tech but during an era that has better tech.
    The cube.. funny thing.. today I was watching a video and the presenter was saying to get good at cubes and your drawings will be a lot better. Anyway, I commend you on being able to show values on a drawing that large over a flat plane. I can't stand flat planes that large.. so kudos on that.. and your perspective looks solid as well. If you have white paint or gesso or whatever.. next time try laying a 50% gray over your panel and then lay in with washes.. I dunno..that's up to you but I think it might give you more control.
    I like your drawing. It feels markery and the values work for the most part. Check the planes on the jaw structure though.. I think those might be wonky. Speaking of the jaw.. if you're going to do anything further with that design, you might want to think through how the jaw mechanism works a little further. I love the shapes his mouth makes but I'm not believing it as a functioning anatomy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maxcid, thanks man, there will be a cast shadow of sorts but not a total reproduction. My teacher is suggests rendering only to describe planes using cross hatching and atmospheric perspective to describe space rather than recreating tones from reality. The school he's from differs from Repin (the authors of that book I showed you), they focused more on 3d understanding and to some extent simplification rather than details and rendering. From my understanding it would be comparing more realistic sculpture to stylized greek sculpture. I'll continue to learn tone but for his classes I'll be following the program.

4ton - Thanks again, if I work on this character again I'll try some different ideas for the jaw. Thinking of making it a habit to practice drawing cubes every day for awhile. Really happy that the ship read like I intended, I'll do a few more roughs to try out some additional ideas, then make a final sometime soon. Double thanks.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...uste_Rodin.jpg

http://employees.oneonta.edu/farbera...doryphoros.jpg

New life drawings tonight, was a bit late and missed the 2 minute poses but I like how a few of these turned out, especially one of the 5 minute poses.

Last edited by Travis Smith; February 3rd, 2012 at 03:29 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a Maya model I've been working on from time to time but not for 4-5 months. I've decided I have to finish it. My friend is rigging the model for his demo reel so I'm trying to improve the topology. Overall it's WIP, bone anatomy needs a lot of work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice model, would be interested to see what kind of shader you're using..also, your seam is showing

27. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks 4ton, it's just a blinn or phong with customized settings, if you have Maya I can send the shader.

Here's my WIP relief sculpture from today class, didn't post it last week because it was mostly just a faint drawing in a thin layer of clay. Built up the base with three layers of clay and one for the objects. I should note the type of relief my instructor teaches doesn't use perspective, mostly just overlap and planes with very short depths.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continued to work on the topology, changed the crows feet wrinkles so it's more about lines that will be formed between poles rather than trying to force the wrinkles into topology that's not designed or dense enough to support it without pinching and other subdivision artifacts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    solid updates. I like that you re-topo'ed the creases.. there are too many lazy production artists that just leave it alone and let the smoothing groups poorly deal with the problem.. kudos on that. I assumed the shader was not fully on and that you had some intricate SSS thing going on
    The relief is interesting.. I am curious to see the direction that goes. Would it be possible to get more of a 3/4 view?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks 4ton, Do you work in CG/Games as well?
    I should be able to get pictures of the relief from a 3/4 view on Saturday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I actually have a degree in Game Design and 5 years experience creating 3d for military applications and a few other things here and there. I learned on 3ds Max ..but picked up Maya for when I was studying at Animation Mentor. I keep meaning to get deeper into modeling in Maya but with my kids and trying to solidify my fundamentals, it's hard to find that time. Kinda wish I had spent that time getting a BFA instead :/

34. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4ton, what sorts of objects did you model? vehicles, weapons, characters, I'd love to see. Are you going to post some of it on your sketchbook?

Here's a quick update of the portrait model for, only had time to adjust some of the top on the brow ridge. Need to get to bed early tonight and hopefully avoid getting sick.

No update on the cube tonight. Unfortunately once I was there my teacher pointed out that some of my observations were inaccurate, I started rendering before I had corrected the overly strong perspective on the cube. It was a great lesson and test on his part.
    Unfortunately I have to scrap the drawing and start fresh next week, fortunately I'll be able to figure out what went wrong on the first version without worry about keeping it clean, almost had it figured out before class ended.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too much scrolling.
    Your last animal and human body studies are nice looking, the last 3d heat looks also great.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to MartinC For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    victoria stiles - Thank you, I'd like to draw/paint a long pose portrait from life to follow the recent photo study, maybe not in the same detail for the hair though
    Picking up a pocket sketchbook tomorrow so I can draw objects while I'm around the city or on public transit.

martinC - Thanks man, I'll add some more scrolling asap

Here are some studies from Bammes, going to make drawings from the chapter on proportion first. Trying to keep more symmetry between the two sides fAor these studies, still not doing it very well.

Also, some pictures of a skull study I'm working on, still a ways to go. I'm measuring the proportions with the calipers but I think I need to more than I have so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update for relief sculpture on Saturday, took a picture from 3/4 but it turned out blurry and grainy. Also some cafe drawings on black paper from today. Difficult to get used to but I think I'll continue with using it for cafe drawing until I run out of the paper.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, The 3d model and the skull sculpture are looking fantastic so far, can't wait to see the still life in it's final stages

keep posting

41. The Following User Says Thank You to KrispyKream For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So many updates! Damn you are fast.

You seem to be in full flow, but I would like to see a few more larger pieces. Middle ground between the current sketches and the large photo referenced portrait towards the start of this SB.

keep updating!

43. The Following User Says Thank You to BHCS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    KK - Thanks man. Going to make one last push to finish detailing the photo study, then I'll be working on a combination stylized shark, the CG portrait, skull study, etc.

BHCS - Thank you, I've been trying to update almost every day whether it's long term projects, sketches, or sometimes compilations like the cafe drawings (which were drawn almost every sunday over the past 9ish months or so). I'll do my best to paint some larger pieces soon.

Here is the latest version of the photo study, got a lot done today and will hopefully finish this one over the course of the week. Might only detail the face and leave the hat, jacket, and sleeve simplified. If it's too jarring I'll try to create a detail brush for those surfaces to unify the painting without melting my wrist.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3