Sketchbook: Travis's 2D and 3D sketchbook - Page 4

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Wow after a while I couldnt tell the difference anymore between the photostudy and the real photo (except for the little value scale you added on the photostudy xD)

That little 3D alien (post #88) looks cute

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushy View Post
    Wow after a while I couldnt tell the difference anymore between the photostudy and the real photo (except for the little value scale you added on the photostudy xD)

That little 3D alien (post #88) looks cute

ITS TERRIFYING. and it needs to be 'extinguished' right now!

Thanks
    Wow Trav!, these models are extremely unique, really looks like your having a killer time doing those, awesome dude!, though I personally would love to see something very scary, and intimidating, some sort of cave dwelling creature, one that's eerie and enigmatic

don't stop being reckless

Thanks
    KK - I'll try to make some sort of cave dwelling alien tonight.

Sushy - Thank you.

Here's the final version of the creature from last night. This one is also based on an alien design by Dahami on post 217.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=136530&page=8

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Trav I would looove too see more of these cool/weird looking designs on paper, the blue especially, there very simple but that's exactly what makes them unique,

The rendering is something I don't usually see you do, the eyes have this marble like effect on them, really appealing

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    KK, the design to the left of the sculpt is Dahami's, it's not mine. I was just showing it for comparisons sake.
    I will create more creature concepts on paper and in photoshop at some point. For now I have to continue with the daily speed sculpts, they're fun and I need to practice working faster. After the photo study painting is complete I will be working on the shark again. I'll try to squeeze in some new creatures on paper/photoshop.

Here's 2 hour speed sculpt for a blind cave dwelling monster alien based on your request earlier today. It was inspired by mole rats and also the overall head shape in Frank Frazetta's painting here:
    http://www.paintinghere.com/UploadPi...s.%20Beast.jpg

Thanks
    lol Sorry about that TBone, I am not too familiar with those designs, its a creature I'd assume you would have done because of your taste, just being reckless I guess

Really cool bust man, especially the sculpted anatomy, very powerful body and spot on accurately proportional muscles, what kind of eye variation and type would you give it?

There is a horror film where a group of women go into a mountain for cave exploring and up being slaughtered and eaten by underground creatures, you should check it out, its pretty gruesome, but you would be inspired by the designs, there terrifying actually, its called the descent (2005)

Your speed is getting fast too, awesome!
    Should you decide on this design I would go into it with more variations and then throw some colour designs onto it, play with it a bit and see what works

keep going

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    great work on the photoreal piece.. good to see it your process--all the extra time/attention to detail paid off. I also digged the alien anatomy studies a lot.

the 3d sculpts still have a little of 'creepy 3d' look about them.. I know they are speed-sculpts but would be nice to see one you spend more time concepting-out and sculpting.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to pearblossom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    KK - Thanks man. . Trying to find the right balance between speed and accuracy of the primary+secondary forms is proving difficult. Not sure if I'll revisit the design, I mostly tried to make an alien cave monster due to your request.

pearblossom - Thank you, tried this out today based on a previous sketch for an Idiran that was posted on page 2 or 3. This time I tried to stick closer to the description in the book, tried to treat it like a design brief and made some anatomy sketches to figure out how trilateral symmetry might work.

The description was,
    -Immortal (but can still die due to injury).
    -Three meters tall.
    -Stands on three legs and has two main arms, as well as one vesitigal arm that was used as a chest-flap. Ancestor species were trilaterally symmetrical from the neck down.
    -Saddle shaped head.
    -Four eyes, two on each end of the saddle.
    -Highly intelligent
    -Apex-predator on a planet of monsters.
    -Covered in keratin plates (left those out, was going to add them last)

Not totally happy with the result and it is unfinished (there should be latissimus dorsi-like muscles on top of the pecs for the shoulders to work correctly) but I might revisit it at some point. This was took about 4-6 hours, tried to follow a process from a character modeling book that focused more on bone and muscle structure before adding detail.

Thanks
    hi,
    nice sculptures dude. i´ll send you a pm concerning the colorwheel thingy for ps...

Thanks
    Thats A f****** cool design man, really, don't have a critique for it since its still in the process
    keep sculpting

Thanks
    Chrisinho - Thanks man, and thanks for sending the colour wheel!

KrispyKream - Thanks brah, should I continue working on the scuplt from yesterday? do you have any suggestions?

Here's a quick concept for it's semi-aquatic ancestor species. Think of the as an alligator-like predator, waiting in the shallows near rivers, lakes, and oceans to ambush unsuspecting prey. It hunts with a degree of social coordination that would remind us chimpanzees, wolves, hyenas. By the time the first fully land dwelling species from this line evolve it's almost completely lost the use of it's sternal arm, it has become vestigal only used for communication. Their cranial set of eyes will have been reoriented, rotating and moving backwards to give nearly 360 degrees of vision. Millions of years later the first proto-Idirans will begin to walk upright on three legs.

Thanks
    Mad respect for the story and info you've put into your creatures, its all about giving them life, Well there's potential in that Creature I commented above, these creatures are also really solid, It may be too early for suggestions, but It's great to see you having fun with it

Ask others too because maybe we all won't agree on the same thing, I would definitely work on that creature, but it all comes down to what you want to do with it, the overall body of this creature is something you've never done, its very loose, and its a warped anatomy but it works, much better than the hammerhead

Should you go for it I would keep playing with shapes and variations

Thanks
    Hey, so i like the backstory on the latest piece. Is that something you came up with?
    For the other sculpt you did, the one with multiple arms. It has a lot of potential. It could be worth going back to. But then again, it could be even better to start again. I find I learn a lot more when I start from scratch sometimes.but thats just me, and my philosiphy could be a bit different.
    Also, have you come up with an idea for this weeks sculpts yet?

Thanks
    KK - Thank you. I will come back to this but for now it has to go on the shelf. Will try a few different designs, maybe do some study sketch/sculpts of objects and animals I'd like to reference.

Jeff Bartzis - Thanks man. The evolutionary background of the Idirans is something I expanded on from the book. It doesn't go into that much detail other than to say the planet they evolved on was subjected to abnormally high levels of solar radiation causing rapid mutations and an especially brutal game of survival of the fittest. I would like to create a fully textured version of this creature after I finish my new demo reel but I'll test a number of ideas out in 2D and 3D before I begin.

This weeks theme for speed sculpting: robots. It's going to be a great opportunity to learn the hard surface sculpting tools as well as the insert mesh feature for Dynamesh.

Tonight's is a one hour sketch:

Thanks
    Looking good dude, quite a unique sculpt going on, really has a south american feel to it, did you intend on enlarging the trapezoids?, they seem large on purpose, really like how the parts on his face are over lapping each other

keep posting

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KrispyKream View Post
    Looking good dude, quite a unique sculpt going on, really has a south american feel to it, did you intend on enlarging the trapezoids?, they seem large on purpose, really like how the parts on his face are over lapping each other

keep posting
    Thanks man.

It happened accidentily but I had already passed my time limit and thought it looked interesting enough to keep. Here's another hard surface sculpt, this one was more an experiment using dynamesh's insert mesh feature. I'll try to post an update for the photo study before I go to bed.

Thanks
    whoa dude, I have never seen you do a style like that, its almost like a pixar/dreamworks character,do more of these, another art direction will definitely be great in the long term, really like how you crafted the anatomy, looking forward to see where this goes

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great Sketchbook! I particularly like the Ambush Predator. On page 3 the photostudy, how far into it were you before finishing?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    No speed sculpt tonight, decided to work on the photo study again.

KK - Thanks man, it was mostly random shapes, dynamesh gives you cubes, spheres, and cylinders for primitive shapes (and organics like ears and eyes but I skipped those), I think it was helpful for me to start from those restrictions as far as coming up with something I normally wouldn't create. Still not happy with the upper chest/neck box thing, if I revisit this sketch I'll figure out a better solution.

4tonmantis - Thank you, glad you liked it, gives me a push continue on with the project. As for the photo study it's not yet complete. By the time I began adding the hair I'm guessing it was already 5-7 hours in. It's probably well over 10 now... Here's the latest version, I'm planning to finish it this weekend.

Last edited by Travis Smith; January 20th, 2012 at 06:50 AM.

Thanks
    Getting crispier and better dude, just keep refining and polishing, loving how more loose hairs have different contrasting tones in them, sweet stuff

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks KK - Here's a sketch from today that I did as a warm up before I got back to the photo study. Really interested in a critique for this one.

Edit update: Added another painting, wanted to try out the lasso tool workflow with a composition idea I had suddenly.
    Scenario: Astronauts stationed on the dark side of the moon discover why signals from Earth suddenly stopped. They're on their own.

Second update edit: Here's the latest for the photo study. Refined some the loose hairs, especially those on the resting on the shoulders. Added the graphic pattern to the hat. Next step is to refine the whole and add the surfacing details of the face.

Last edited by Travis Smith; January 22nd, 2012 at 07:14 AM. Reason: Added more art.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Travis Smith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Dear Travis,

The photo study turned out exceptionally exquisite. The amount of time you spent on this really shows.
    the moon one is ALRIGHT, but what are those little white things in the distance? geese?
    The creature is quite cool, I like the concept, but it looks like you ran out of steam? Would be nice to see a more complete version of this concept.
    Just my $0.02

Sincerely,
    Jeff

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Bartzis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks man, there's still a little bit left to do but it's damn close. When I revisit the Earth destroyed scene I'll be adding proper fault lines, land masses, and a better symbol for astronauts in the distance. Continued painting the Icaran creature, let me know your suggestions. Right now the light source feels all over the place.

Tomorrows update will be a big one, scanned about two sketchbooks worth of cafe drawings, studies, creatures.

Thanks
    Nice Updates! It's awesome to see how frequently you update.. it keeps me motivated to push harder. Without carefully studying the photo I can't even see what's left to be done.

36. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great Work Trav, Really loving the Astronaut scene, has really cool cinematic feel to it, inspirational, Keep refining the Old man, Once you do observational drawings you will get more and more consistent with it. Should you desire exceptional energy, so that you can finish long photo studies like these in a rapid amount of time, mediation will work wonders

The Bird,warbling creature... just felt like saying warbling for some reason does not feel complete at the cranial area, I would add more structure around there, and take it's right leg closer to the screen and the left leg further back to give it more of a perspective like pose. Great accuracy on the anatomy and proportions.

Keep us updated

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Until Lambs Become Lions For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks 4tron, I'll keep trying to update every day.

Thank KK. Glad you like the astronaut scene and thanks for the critique. As for meditation I'm interested in trying it but I'm not sure if I could finish a painting to that level of detail in one sitting, at least not without a hell of a lot of practice. Would you suggest painting individual hairs again or should I simplify it in future studies? Also, I'll implement your suggestions on the next version of the Icaran painting.

Got sick on Monday and havn't finished processing all of the images from my sketchbooks but I'll try to add them here in the next couple of days.

Here's a study for a class I started attending tonight. The teacher asked us to draw a cube from a cast as accurately in perspective as possible. Still many corrections to make but I learned a lot about how to measure with my eye using reference points and lines for angles/proportion. I'm really excited about these classes as I was hoping that there was someone in Vancouver teaching Russian volumetric drawing and sculpture. By chance I found an advertisement for classes while visiting a local life drawing studio.

Thanks
    Cool cube bro!
    And yea hurry and get all those old sketchbooks up on herrrr.

Thanks
    Here's the first update for my 2011-2012 sketchbooks, a couple finals for creatures and some sketches. Update 1: Added some environment drawings from around Vancouver. Update 2: Uploaded additional creatures and some thumbnails, one of the pages was shown here before as a poor quality cel phone picture. Update 3: Studies from the book, Fundamentals of Drawing by V.A. Mogilevtsev from early in 2011.

Last edited by Travis Smith; January 26th, 2012 at 04:18 AM. Reason: Adding more art.

Thanks
    Wonderful studies Tb0ne, I admire your skill with buildings and those creature studies are crazy cool.
    You have a great eye for perspective but with creature design you also need to consider the organism's skeletal structure (if any). Some of your designs start to look a little too geometrical and not quite based on an underlying system of bones.

43. The Following User Says Thank You to 4tonmantis For This Useful Post:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1