Great Works
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Great Works

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Great Works

I have been studing a few books on the art of the Broke, Goth, and Renn. era. Looking at the painting, the main themes are of Christian Stories. As I traveled through time I came to understand these images we very personallized with the artists and the location in which these paintings were created.

I would like for you to look into these pictures and study the faces. I feel that you will see friends and aquaintances whos facial features are like the people in the paintings.

The point is more than just playing who's who amongest biblical portoraits, but aslo to examine the differences in the non-haloed and haloed saints. There are a few recreations of these originals. Same theme just different interprutaions.

My curiousity is, These great works took years to accomplish and artists today are pushing art out at a great rate, we are loosing sparks on captivating the masses. And by masses, I mean all peoples. Not just catering to one genre.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You want me to track down some untitled books and see if their artwork reminds me of my mates? Is that what you're asking? What are you talking about?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Friends...don't let friends, create posts...while drunk.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'll leave that to the people who want to do so.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks like my thoughts are unclear. The most important part is... The art which was created, before the US became a penal colony, was dedicated to religion. The books in which I am reading are published by a company called Taschen. You can pick them up at your local books a million or Barnes and Noble.

Now, The people in the paintings and murals have the same faces of people in modern society. Now this is taking a really big leap. People who where alive 400to 800 years ago. This is where your mind will have to go beyond your box.

Well, on second thought. This idea will have to wait until further investigation takes place.

Now my last point is, Unless it was a still life, such as "Bowl of Fruit", the main focus of those who commissioned the artist, were Holy images.

After all of that, and this goes will more than just artists, We create works some what in a jiffy around here. And as I was going through the books and checkin dates, these painting took 2 to 7 years to complete. Is there still works that are created with such patiences. Or are the works of the modern world so common place that very little stands out. Nothing is genuine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if there is a problem with art not being centered around religion anymore. I really don't understand the point.

As for your last point, I think the difference in time frame for completing a painting has something to do with how modern and convenient our tools are. There is not as much prepping time involved. Also we live in a very fast paced society so I think in general people take on more work now than they did in the past. Lastly, there are still people that spend a couple of years on a painting; they aren't extinct but then again why does it matter how long a painting took as long as it's great?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Goyim View Post
    Is there still works that are created with such patiences.
    similar work is still being created. check out the instructors at the grand central academy and angel academy etc.

Anthony Waichulis, Jacob Collins, Graydon Parrish, Adrian Gottlieb, Frank Mason (RIP), and so on. few oil paintings are being created on such an epic scale like before because there is hardly any commission for it, and the time and money investment to do it off your own back is too great. Graydon's 9/11 painting took i think 4 years and that's a pretty awesome scale.

alot of the images were holy because the church had a lot of power back then, and lots of money to splash out on the best painters to pimp out their churches.

i don't understand the rest of you wrote, sorry.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm just making sure, what you mean is that in those times most art was made to appeal to everyone in that time, and there needs to be more work like that in modern times. Not necessarily religious, but something that tries it's best to appeal to all people, and not just specific niches.

Is that what you mean?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't know if he's (she's?) trying to make a distinction between commercial art and fine art in the way that if a painting takes 2 years, but the same painting takes a week, that the length of time it takes in one adds more importance to it?

Commercial art is made at a deadline, while the artists of old had the timeframe of years because they were usually on retainer, living off the money given by a very rich client (church), while modern artists have to work on salary, and nine times out of ten, if not done for personal, have to live under a deadline or not get paid?

But, I could be just talking out me bum.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Question

Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Friends...don't let friends, create posts...while drunk.
    I'm drunk and it still doesn't make sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stand on your head.

Then...you will understand as you read.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, The bottom line of this conversation, which will be difficult to explain, but I will try.

The historic painting, such as the crusifiction, the ascension, Last judgement, madonna and child, these people and their features (bone Structure, facial features, expressions) are common in our society today. Meaning, to me, that the cycle, human evolution, has not changed in about 1000 years. I would like for you to go beyond the art and think more on in the cosmic realm of things.

Oh, my thoughts go faster than I do. So, most of the time you are only getting half the conversation. The docs gave me amphetamines to slow it down but I do not take them anymore. They were better than anything you find on the street.

Anyway, Thanks for trying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You mean human physiology then yes, there hasn't been an evolution VISUALLY speaking, but physically, internally, there has been adaption to changes in environmental shifts.

An evolution, more adaption, of minor exterior, and interior, but for true evolution to take place there'd have to be a MAJOR shift in the environment along with the addition of genetic material outside normal human fo a physical difference to be had.

-John Huston, Director

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.