I was thinknig it might be a good idea to do a roundup of what we think we did well, and what areas we need to develop more in terms of this team activity?
perhaps each of us put down 3 constructive points on things were happy with, and 3 points we think we need to work more on, or could have done differently to get an even better result? I think we had a good level of constructive criticism going n the thread, and I think that having some sort of roundup now that we have the whole process to look at could be a good thing.
What do you guys think?
If we decide we want to do this, havce a deadline on, say, tuesday the 8th for posting up some final crits for the team effort as a whole?
@mimer: Good idea but not so easy. I give it a try:
- We had a great start, searching for ideas and reference material, that was very inspiring.
- We had a good feedback culture, one of the most important paints, working in a team.
- Even if Ahchu and mimer hadn't much time, they worked hard (it was easier to finish for LostFaith and me, because we had more time) and we finally could finish the challenge. Looking at the Team list and the list of teams who finished, that's nothing selv-evident.
- Maybe it were better, we did a whole group meeting at mns or something like that. from the chat with LostFaith I can say, that this can be really helpful to create ideas but also to lern something about the teammember. (But of cuse I know, it's difficult to find a time everyone can join, even if Ahchu lives in really different time zone)
- maybe it was better, to start earlier with the finals. Desing precess is important, but it's also a pity, if in the end the time lacks to finish properly.
-other teams create presentation frames, looking at the final thread, that's a detail, making a group looking more homogen and loking good. So, maybe we should have thought about the final presentation earlier (but I also like the lineups, in that poit, we succseed)
good: an organised start, lots of ideas and i think there was a good structure in the beginning that helped a lot.
good level of activity and constructive crits from everyone, which made the end result that much better.
we came up with two solid concepts for the two cultures and we made them shine through in our designs, that went a long way towards prsenting two groups that looked distinctive and like they belonged with eachother.
things we could improve/do differetly/add.
i agree on the chat meeting, im not adverse to odd hours as long as im free the day after, im used to holding weird hours to talk to people in other timezones anyway this could definitely be a good idea to improve the team process.
I think we can push the details, originality and wowfactor more. we had a solid base concept for both cultures, and we definitely made them both show, but we could push the details more, find those original details that make a charachter stand out and catch the eye even more.
I can mainly speak for myself here, but i defnitely ended up doing basic work to finish the broad figure, especially on the flute player, when i should have been focusing on refining details etc the last portion of the month. In short, my personal planning sucked, and not just due to time constraints. I think you lot did a much better job than me on that, but overall, if we can i think that the good planning we had in the beginning is something that we really should keep up all the way through, that way last week will feel less stressful. I know im definitely not doing a repeat on that last week if i can help it
Whoops! First deadline I missed! I was not aware of the feedback. Here is my 2 cents.
- Great team vibe. It was pleasant to work in the team because of the way we addressed each other and no one was trying to force someone else to do something.
- Everything came into a creative process from the moment we got the brief. Even before that we were thinking on how to improve the previous brief.
- Which gets me to the last point: The amount of feedback was good which resulted into a great team activity which was fun and consistent.
Need to improve:
- An important thing we missed was like you two said, the team meeting. It would have been great to get together the first time and set some important parts up right away. Which brief, who's gonna do what and how are we gonna do it, things like that. It happened anyway, but in a course of a week. A lot of time went away. It's also what skorpi said, because of the frequent chats we had I get the feeling our characters grew together. The four characters of our team do fit, but I see overlap with our two characters. It's something we should pay attention to next time. (That was point two )
- Next time we should pay more attention to our personal schedule. Who has a lot of time, who doesn't and divide the tasks according to that.
But guys, it's not only about putting the good and the less good parts down. It's also important to think HOW we're gonna improve.
- We have to work something out for the first chat. I know AhChu and skorpi use yahoo to chat and I have msn, so maybe we could use those instant messengers to get together at a time which is suitable in this timezone and AhChus timezone.
- Maybe it's also fun to experiment with passing a character around. So we have at least touched one character as a team. If it works we could do it for every character.
- We have to look at personal schedules and plan to start on finals sooner.
- Besides coming up with concepts for the characters within a brief we also should start thinking about presentation methods from the get-go.
I guess that about covers it. Great to be a part of this team