Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Team CHOW II: Random Team 1

Thanks
    Okay, I've changed the first post. I've added the brief with all the extra information we've come up with. I also added a list of the characters we each picked. Since skorpi and mimer have three characters to choose from I would like to know which one you've picked. And AhChu, I'd like to know which character you had in mind to design.

Maybe it's also a good idea to find references with images for native Americans and the other stuff and post the link up so I can include them in the first post. Moodboards are great, but we each design a different character, so it would be nice to compile your own moodboard from the images we all find and use them as a reference for your own character.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I'll sarch for more references, but I propose also, to interpret them in a open way. We don't want american native against asians. Since we have a good and an evil folk.

I think, I do the animal man fighter, since Lost Faith already do a femal magician. At the moment I like to make hin a bear man/ werebear or something like that.

Finally References:

Chinese clothing:
    Team CHOW II: Random Team 1
    Japanese clothes:

American Native costumes:
    South america:

Asian fighter/ monks:
    Native american Fighter:

Bears:
    Last edited by skorpi; August 3rd, 2009 at 04:34 PM.
    Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    im going with the male orch bard.

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still.
    Thanks
    Man those are some cool ref images...cant wait to start scribbling at lunch today

Thanks
    i put down some colour choices from the stuff weve talked about so far. made two palettes along with some summation of the two sides designwise, tell me if you like

I think we need to do what we discussed above and actually get some mutual palette choices for both sides to keep the individual pictures relating to eachother. then we can of course branch out to fit our own styles and charachters, but a similar palette copuled with the cultural refs for both sides with help make this awesome.

also made two assemblies for myself for the orch bard im going for. going for a mohawk and heavy drums, possibly a big lute-type instrument for the baddie and a fluteplaying serene bard for the good guy, both appendaged with some form of bladed weapon.

Thanks
    some quick stuff, two of the bad guy, one of the good guy. the evil one is turning out a bit metal atm...

Thanks
    Wow guys! Those are amazing. Skorpi, I really like the reference you found. The clothing charts are outstanding.

The color charts are cool, mimer. I like your silhouettes. The musical instruments are really good.

I was away all day. I had a great day out. I'll start tomorrow with my sketches.

Thanks
    @mimer: Great color palettes and briefs. Thank you
    I like the body language of the two, shows much about their character. I prefer the drums, but I think, it's to early to decide XD

@Lost Faith: The cloth refs are from a costumebook i bought long time ago and never really used it. So I'm glad, I can use it now XD

Some scribbles I did today:

Thanks
    Hey guys....I was doodling and doing some pose sketches when it came across my mind that we haven't decided if we're gonna do backgrounds or only and really focus on the design of the characters with a simple background.

The last lineup looked messy. I know, it was I who made it. But shouldn't we focus on the lineup already?

...just a few thoughts...

EDIT:
    Well. here are the doodles I made.

Attachment 743530

And some thumbnails sketches with two of the poses I thought could give some nice results. The bad fairy/elf is flying away looking down on a village she just put in flames.

Attachment 743534

I think I'm doing to much with the environment rather than focusing on the design. That's what I'm gonna do next.
    Last edited by LostFayth; August 5th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Thanks
    I propose, we make simple backgrounds. A simple landscape, so the character is in focus.
    And i propose, all do the character on atransparent layer, so we finally can mounting them together better.

Thanks
    I agree, lets all put our characters on a separate layer and then set them on a simpler background to showcase them together, unless we feel we have time to do a more elaborate bg for the team picture, then we can all have a bit more freedom to do a bit of background for our own individual portraits as long as we keep it in line with the overall themes?

sketches looking good skorpi, perhaps even putting him in a full chieftain headress of feathers would look imposing?

some refinement on the sillhuettes. been looking at gorillas and other big primates and think they might fit well to base the orch heads off, beeing capable of both lookig really fierce and serene.

Thanks
    @Lost Faith: Don't forget that your image has to be in a high format.
    I don't know, how her personality should be. Her body langugage at the moment says im harmless. Maybe she could sit there more self confident.

@mimer: Thanks for adivice. I'm trying different designs at the moment.
    I think the position of the drums son't work at the moment. The way he wears them makes him play like that I think he can play more powerful if he play with only one hand like this or if he place hte drum on the grount and play then with both arms.

Thanks
    good points skorpi, heres a version with one bigger drum

lostfayth: i think with the fairy we'll have to see the scale for the group picture, perhaps thatll be easier to compose if all the characters are standing on their own, ie not resting or sitting on anything? especially for a small character like the fairy but overall for the group too? The fairy can be flying or standing, but i think for the group composit it will probably be seen best if its in midflight, since that will give you more freedom to move her around to make a good group shot?

perhaps use butterfly wings for her? that will give you a lot of options to display imagery for the good and evil character? (think the moth picture on the silence of the lambs cover)?

just rambling away, i think my main point is that we should probably focus on expressing the charachters through their own looks rather than their surroundings and backgrounds?
    Last edited by mimer; August 5th, 2009 at 03:49 PM.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast