Team CHOW II: Random Team 1 - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the input.

The good fairy looks like she really needs to go to the bathroom. I'm gonna play with her legs to correct that. I think her non confident look and the fact that she looks off in the distance rather then looking us in the face shows that she's not certain of herself. Right? Her arm is turned in, towards her.

I most certainly agree on the bad fairy. She needs more metal on her. It's rather funny to think of a spell caster using magic over physical attacks to wear armour. I wanted to show her use of metal in her wand and necklaces. Maybe I can add more metal accessories to her dress.

I like the idea of making the flute into a weapon. The blade looks like it could cut trough flesh, but it doesn't disturb the design of the instrument.

The second drummer looks still good to me. It's the one you started with and the one that's most appealing to me. Just throwing idea's to you: What do you think of a topless bad goblin. He could wear shoulder pads or something like that, but overall his upper body is naked. That gives you a good opportunity to play with the paint the Native Americans use to frighten their enemy.

You could also make the drum sticks (?) look like they're weapons. The bard used them to smash the heads of the enemy if he needs to. I like how they're chained to the drum. He could also use the sticks to swing the drum around and bash into the good guys.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya guys, long time no post...looks like everyone is coming along well.

LostFaith cool drawings, if ya having trouble with a good pose, usually do a trawl through the photograph section on deviantart...sometime you kind find some real gems. or you could try this http://www.posemaniacs.com

Skorpi I like those new thumbs, especially the one with him dozing would be cool to see a mid transformation thumb, but the first of the bad one thumb looks really strong.

Mimer Neat pics, he looks really bad ass, but I think the drum should be a bit higher up on him, especially if he drums the army into battle, do'nt wont to tripping over it now in the heat of the moment

Cheers for the advice Mimer, those eagle hunters are so wicked..so here is a new post with that in mind....think im gonna try rework both ideas into the finals..I really like the idea of the bad rangers taking the faces of their enemies..and gonna add Ravens or vultures as their pets & Eagles for the good guys.

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AhChu Thanks for the advice. I usually start out by looking for good refs on deviantart, but this time I wanted to construct something of my own. Just to see if my knowledge grew or not.

I like the way your ranger is heading. Can't wait to see more of him

I changed the leg of the good fairy. Now the dress looks a bit off...
    I also added her hair and a head garment, with antenna's! I know her eyes might look a bit manga-ish right now, but that's the feel I'm trying to get. Big eyes, lots of light reflecting in 'em, making her look cute. But I want to go for a more bug feeling. So I guess the eyes will end up black with a lot of light in them. The head garment is gonna be some kind of leaf.

Name:  schets_good2.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  39.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry guys, I wasn't active recently. I'm glad, you like the same thubs as me Finally, I thik, I chose the left ones, because, in thouse poses it's easier to put them together with the other characters.

LostFaith: I like the body language of the two. I hope you dont mind, if I paint ofer your drawings a little, because their hands look very confortable. (it's really sketchy, so I hope you look through)

Mimer: I really like this flute and the drummer pose is much better now, the second looks very agressive

AhChu Good start. Only thing to keep in mind is the example pic in the main thread shows the whole body.

About the final pics: Like last thime, let's give them the same porportions. Still 600x800 pixels by 72 dpi for the finals here?

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

6. The Following User Says Thank You to skorpi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot skorpi! I'm gonna rework the parts you painted over. I tried putting the right arm in a downward position like you painted when I was sketching. I liked the upward position more. But I see there is a problem with the thickness of her arm. I'm gonna fix that.

Well....tomorrow is the 17th. That means we should start thinking of the finals and how we're gonna present it. The 600x800 format is fine with me. I think we shouldn't worry about the individual images. It's the (two) composite images we should worry about. Are we gonna put them next to each other to show scale on a general background? We could play with scale if we do so. Something else would be difficult to do because we all have different poses and angles. How do you think we should present it and what kind of background are we gonna use?

EDIT

Changed some things and added some stuff to make it look better.

Name:  schets_bad2.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  37.5 KB Name:  schets_good3.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  43.6 KB

ooh! I spotted some mistakes again. It's funny how everything looks good when you finish it and it looks off when you see it after a while. Gotta fix that tomorrow.

Last edited by LostFayth; August 16th, 2009 at 02:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LostFaith: I just thougt how I would hold a staff (I glad, nobody looks at me, when I do strange poses XD)
    I think, the evil fairy looks a bit stiff this way, but Of curse, it's your descision. And the arm of the good one is to short (her right)
    I always see my mistkes when I finally scan a pic and then ists often to late Digital painting has his good sides

EDIT: I can do a background for the composition pics an also place them in.
    Any ideas, how the landscape could look?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe, glad you can't see me either. I also strike a pose and try to figure out how I look or use the mirror. You're right about the stiffness. The right arm was one of the mistakes I saw later on. I still need to fix that. The hand looks too small too.

The funny thing is I also see the mistakes I made when I scan an image into the computer. While I'm working I tend to make a few photographs with my cell phone to get a different point of view on the drawing and fix the bad parts.

You're welcome to make a landscape. I wonder how we should present it. Are we gonna make two separate line ups or one line up with both the good and evil characters. Maybe you could do something like two worlds merged together. On one side a nature based world and on the other side a sophisticated world. They're merging into on another in the middle.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would do two different lineups, if not, the pic may be to long.
    But thinking of it, if we really put the characters together this way, we need to paint them all in a simular light sutuation, or it will not work.
    so question: takes it to much of your artistic freedom, if it all have to look similar?

EDIT: and something to look at

Last edited by skorpi; August 17th, 2009 at 07:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff skorpi. I like the blood stains. Makes me wanna get start painting my own characters.

I don't know about the lighting. I usually do a top left light on my concepts. I wouldn't mind changing it. We should have decided that earlier on. But no, it wouldn't take away my artistic license.

BTW
    Are we gonna use lines or make it without any lines making it look more painted?

Last edited by LostFayth; August 17th, 2009 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I usally use a top left light too. And it will be good, if all characters are portraited by day. Little color adjustments are no problem, if the rest fit together.

And without lights was what most said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good skorpi, and I agree for no lines, trying to push that painted look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've put the base value down for both fairies. It's gonna be something to work without lines. I've never done it before. But hey, it's all about learning new stuff.

skorpi, I went with your comments and changed the bad fairy's arm. You were right, looks less stiff.

I went for darker values for the bad fairy (low to middle key) and lighter values for the good one (high to middle key).

Name:  Fairies.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  39.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, working on the back of a worklist on my commute home, this is the look im going for with the flute player, and i guess, the facial base for both characters.

Last edited by mimer; August 18th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lost Faith: Of curse, it's total different painting without lines, but you can that, and you have help here
    Look forward your next step.

@Mimer: I like his peaceful look.

Backgrounds for my pics (the one for the good need still work). What do you think, does a landscape like tihs would work for the composition with all characters? Ore are there good ideas to make the landscape look more special?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good mimer. The character is taking form with each update. I like where it's headed.

Nice backgrounds skorpi. The second background really shows how I had visualized the world in terms of color. The first background isn't bad, but I think the colors are a bit too saturated.

Skorpi and I talked over MSN and one thing we came up with is to do collaborated backgrounds for the final line up for both the bad and good characters. It's not something you HAVE to do, but if it sounds cool, you're free to join.

We were thinking of getting a base layed down by someone. And the next team member adds a few things he/she likes or changes/corrects something else. By doing so we end up with a background the whole team made instead of letting one person decide. It'll also be something to do to get your mind of the characters.

This is an example of a base background using skorpi's images.

Team CHOW II: Random Team 1

I know mimer and AhChu are really busy with work and all. If you don't want to do it, it's fine. Maybe you could throw some ideas at us, or things you want to see back in the image and we could use them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

little update

my bear so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good skorpi. I really love his expression!

I wanted to share a WIP of the good fairy with all of you .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LostFait: She looks sweet. Maybe you can add some fildes, so the clothes looks less stiff.

I was apinting today, started the good bear and did some sketches of the human head, how he could look like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys are really coming along good with your charachters, im gonig to be awol over the weekend, got my 30th birthday coming up, ill be sketching but i wont be much on puter to upload anything til next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work guys, sorry for the lack of posts but it has been pretty busy at work and some late nights, but wil lbe rocking and rolling this weekend after my game.

Colab backgrounds sound like a really cool idea, im keen for some of that action aswell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man, completely forgot about adding creases and folds in her dress! Thanks for reminding me skorpi!

The good bear is coming out great. He still looks like he's floating above the ground. But I'm sure you'll fix that.

I added color to the good fairy. I'm planning to do the darkest darks next followed by the details I need to add. Maybe I'm gonna add some highlights and rework the colors to make it look better. I just added flat colors over the values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys I just found out about something:
    The final image must be around the format daestwen posted (ratio). The size can be changed a bit. Her example was: 469px × 709px. So we have to keep that in mind. If we don't keep to the format we won't be applicable for the prizes and we don't want that right!

I don't know if we need to create line ups. I'll pop the question.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Lost Faith: Looks good so far. I think some yellow highliths would look god on it.
    And of curse i make the good bear standing on the ground

About ratio, Daestwen wrote about 2:3 ratio, I propose, we do 600x900
    And if we find the time, lets do the group picture.

Yesterday I had no mac but a moleskin and pencil (without ereaser XD)
    So I was drawing the human form of both characters, trying to give them the same face but different character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, hopefully will finish render of bad ranger tomorrow night, got to tweak the position of his legs but that is no biggie. Ive used a desaturated version of skorpi's background for placement, then will post up the good version..maybe him picking flowers oh the good ranger will have an Eagle..should be cool

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really creating depth into your character, skorpi

Looking good AhChu. He's bad ass!

I think I've finished the good fairy. No wait....I call it finished. I have to get started on the evil fairy if I want to make the deadline.

Name:  Fairy Good Final.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  213.6 KB

I asked daestwen if we need to make a line up. We don't have to.

Oh and it might be a good time to start thinking about the character's history and description. We need to post a few lines about the characters in the final post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AhChu: I like it.
    Some Critics: I think, his right underarm should be exactly horizomtal, thats the angle i woud use it a bird is sitting on it. His left arm is a bit to long and I think, he would look stronger, if he stand with the feet mor outward.

@Lost Faith:
    I like the leave structure
    Some Detail: Take a look how her hair isaroud her ear. At the moment, the ear looks as if it was stuck on the hair.
    And about her hands, if you are holding something, the forefinger is in an different angle than the other fingers (just try out) It's not much but it make tha hand looking much more natural.

I'm nearly finished with the good bear. Just some more details and I thing, I have to give his belt a different color.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks skorpi, I'll try to change it.

You're right about the pink belt. It draws to much attention. Maybe if you desaturate it more it could work.

I changed the face of the evil fairy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LostFaith: Not bad, but the lines looks a bit like tears, better you draw them a way she looks angry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    running to catch up with you guys

going to have a day off on wednesday, which is pretty much put aside for nailing these two bards, heres some colour work for the bad guy, along with some improvements, hopefully, on the anatomy and pose.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Skorpi, I don't get what you mean... Do you mean the vertical lines or the horizontal lines?

Looking good mimer. I hope you can make it, the day off comes in handy

I wanted to update you guys with the evil fairy.

Name:  painting_bad WIP.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  46.3 KB

EDIT
    These are the colors I'm gonna stick with. I might make a some adjustments (lighter/darker) and I have yet to figure out what colors the feathers will be. She doesn't have many metal attributes. I didn't think it would fit a Spellcaster.

Name:  painting_bad WIP2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  40.7 KB

Last edited by LostFayth; August 25th, 2009 at 12:46 PM.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.