Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Team CHOW II: Random Team 1

Members:
    AhChu, LostFayth, mimer and skorpi.

Setting:
    Back in a time now lost to even the eldest of storytellers, there were two lands. Divided as by the breath on a cold mirror, they existed side by side without ever touching, until the greed and ambition on one side caused a terrible event, fusing the lands together, and bringing both sides of the mirror crashing into eachother.

on one side, the Anai, content with their life and the cycles of their world, having trancended ambition their magics no longer searched for power as much as it strived for cooperation of the living world.

on the other, the Vret, a culture consumed by ambition and progress, their magicians somehow bridged the divide and saw the world of the anai, a more unspoilt version of their own land as an easy price to take by force, just as they had imposed their will on the spirits of their own lands, taking from the land what they wanted.

After the merging of the worlds, the Vret realised they were mistaken in thinknig of the Anai as an easy target. Their quiet composure showed to contain an unbending will to defend their own world, and after a long tome, an uneasy stalemate was reached.

Today, the world is known as the realm of the twiceborn. On both sides exist an opposite number of every living soul, and as this realisation sank in, so did the importance of the individual rise.

Now the need for champions grows ever more important. On both sides, bands of adventurers and paragons of each side are formed with the knowledge that somewhere out there is their mirror image, and that sooner or later, the fate of who will rule the world of the twiceborn will be decided on a battlefield where you will not face your brother, but yourself.

The good will have a asian/naturalistic culture.
    (Shinto, Buddhism, Nature gives them what they need, thin, organic lines; matt colors)
    The bad will have a Native American culture.
    (Signs, symbols, painted faces, bold geometric lines; plane colors)

Characters:
    This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters.

The rules!
    1. Teams of two MUST create at least 4 portraits, teams of three or four need 6 and teams of five need 8. You are perfectly welcome to create more images that the requirement if you feel your team is up to it.
    2. You must take a random selection of the choices below. Please don't do 4 elven fighters, or only orcs, for example. Please take a randomized selection. If you would prefer me to give your team a specific assignment, I will generate the selection for you. If I see teams doing more select parties, then I will request you to change to something more random.
    3. You must follow the format provided. See it below, please!
    4. You must do a LIGHT and a DARK version for each character, please! This means that for each character you need two portraits.
    5. You must submit a paragraph about each character. Do a short write up for each character you create. I want to see some interesting, stereotype-breaking stuff here, folks!

Pick one of each:
    Race: Human / Elf / Half-Elf / Dwarf / Orc - (and anything else you can think of!)
    Class: Fighter (Barbarians, Knights, Dark Knights, Brawlers, etc) / Thief (Assasins, Rogues, etc)/ Spell Caster (Wizards, Sorcerers, Druids, etc) / Healer (Priest, Cleric, White Mage, Medic, etc) - (feel free to make up something for this, too)
    Alignment: Good / Evil (please do both for each character)

Personal choice:
    AhChu: Male human Ranger
    LostFayth: Female Elf/Fairy sorcerer, about 40 cm in height.
    mimer: Male ogrish/orchish bard. a bit of a brutal twist on the musical instruments.
    skorpi: Male animal fighter (bear).

Planning/deadlines:
    BE SURE TO KEEP POSTING THE WIP'S TO GIVE AND GET CRITIQUE.
    Monday 3rd August: Setting/brief/characters set.
    Sunday 9th August: Sketches/idea's good/bad finished and critiques given. (+1day)
    Monday 10th August: Start on finals drawing and colors.
    Monday 24th August: Post artwork, get and give advanced critiques. Idea's final post.
    Sunday 29th August: Post up finals in the sketchbook. I'll make the final post.

Final Deadline: Monday 31st August

Reference:
    Wikipedia
    Dungeons and Dragons galeries.
    Dungeons and Dragons concept art by Todd Lockwood:
    Races, female.
    Races, male.
    Elves.

Lineage II

Native Americans:
    The people.
    People, props, clothing.
    Lots of photo's (various)

Asian culture:
    Some Buddhism photos

Last edited by LostFayth; August 9th, 2009 at 09:36 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's discuss setting/ genre here.
    I think we should decide before round II starts oficially, so we can beginn drawing then.

I think, it's more importnt to concentrate on the visual elements than theorie (it's much more difficult to show it)

Forgive me my bad english

my sketchbook and my homepage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first of all, hello

It's great to be on the team, really looking forward to this. Saw in your earlier thread that you were discussing wether or not to keep the same setting as in the first team chow, depending on if the new challenge turned out to be the villanious counterparts of the heroes.

Either way is good with me, i think you had a good mix of elements in your last theme.

/Mimer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Mimer, glad to have you on the team.

Skorpi, you're right. We had a pretty okay setting and world set down, but what we didn't do was make moodboards and such. Maybe that is a great thing to do now. As far the brief goes. I'll put it in the first post. If you want to change anything or add anything just post it up and I'll change it. Mimer we'd be happy to hear from you if you want to change anything to the world.

AhChu made a good point in our previous SB:
    "I think we should sort out the characters earlier on for all so if someone drops out or pulls out we dont have to try and design something at the end."

We could start by letting everyone sketch and design all the characters. And after that's done we could look what's the best one or combine certain elements. After that we could divide the characters amongst ourselves. Btw, how are we gonna do it? Everyone 1 character and 1 collab like last time or are their people with not much time and are only able to do one character. I have all the time in August so I could do two characters. But we'll work something out. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few ponderings.

With the world setup, blade runner and perhaps the lowtech outlaws from jhonny mnemonic are good templates, as well as some stuff from judge dredd with the megacities and big social divides. perhaps we could work out a palette to work from to keep our stuff unified as well as having the story framework and reference pictures?

had a look at http://colorschemedesigner.com/ which allows you to create palettes and export them as photoshop palettes, something to try out when getting our colour choices down perhaps?

My take on what youve written about the setting so far:

if we are indeed drawing the villains this time round, should we keep them all in the lowtech area of the owrld or should some of them move in the more cyberconnected upper class?

the hidden ones/mages. should we perhaps try to make the lowtechs a bit more tribalistic about technology given that the hidden ones are technological beeings with extraordinary powers, kinda make them the shamans of the tribes,groups of people living outside the cyberspace world of the upper class?

I really like the idea of having an upper class who only travel virtually to do their jobs and live their lives, while the lower classes have to traverse the more dangerous outside world.

I guess we will have to refine some parts of our general idea about settings etc whe we get the brief on the characters, but i think that theres a good backdrop for some interresting characters here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to check those things out you said, maybe they could be great reference too. I don't know about color palettes though, I'd rather pick my colors depending on the character.

The villains could be in the low tech part of the world. They would look like they have been living there for ages, all thorned up and messy. With a lot of hate and evil in their eyes. I can see it happening. I don't know about the upper class. You would get those cocky rich villains I always hate. But it's a cool idea.

As far as I see it, the hidden ones are outcasts too. They tend to do 'bodyguard work' to get some money to buy new parts. The protagonists had one in their team. (The sage, but yeah it could also be a shaman).

We just have to wait what AhChu and skorpi have to say before we make any adjustments.

Also, daestwen said we have to focus on teamwork in this week before the real chow, because it's gonna be a tough one. We have to decide very quick how we're gonna start, divide the characters and who's gonna do all the preparations to do the final post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with the palettes i meant more in the vein of having a similar base, choosing a similar style in colouring could be a good way to unify the images into the same universe. with a rainy dark universe, a bit of a cold and muted palette makes sense?

i think you had a good muted palette with your last entry, and used the rain, wetness and raingear to bring your entry together, we keep building on that perhaps?

something i put together after looking at the ref sheets from you guys in the previous round, featuring some pics from various dystopian movies etc.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally:

I think color palettes would be a good idea, so the different characters fits better together.

I thougt about design elements. Last round we had this samurai keyword. Let's do this time an other region and use their clothing elements. African, indian, hawaii, ... don't know. Or mybe old fashion, 16th or 18 century when we do the rich ones, so they look really like the uppeer class.

And I agree with AnChu, let's first all sketch all characters, then we can collect lots of ideas.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    how about american native (amerind?) lots of really strong iconography there. norse themes could be cool mixed in with futuristic themes, but then im partial as a swede

agree on sketching out all the chars initially when we get them, then we have a really big pool of stuff to choose from when we merge it down to the final six. strenght in numbers and all that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, it's gonna start soon right? Any idea's for the pallet?

I like the idea of the extra keyword, like in the other round. I was thinking of Egypt's pharaohs. But I'm down with anything else.

Good moodboard mimer. Gotta love blade runner right?

AhChu is offline Be not afraid of learning slowly, be afraid of standing still.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guy's, man didn't realize we had a new sketchbook set up and rolling already, pardon my tardiness First off welcome aboard Mimer, glad you could join and hopefully we can teach each other some cool new tricks.
    okay down to business...
    Similar colour pallette is a great idea, Im gonna see if I can track down some examples of a group of characters from the same theme to sorta see how it has been handled.
    Im also thinking some good solid character silhouette purahps this time of each character maybe 4 or 5 so we can get a good mix from everyone to combine the stuff together to make some kick ass characters.

Daset message has me curious..
    "Guys, it looks like I have something really really awesome to pull out of my hat for you guys on this one, but it means that there might be REALLY large format changes come Aug 1st's contest announcement.

Without giving anything away, I should let you all know that you really will have to roll with the punches on this one and that you should focus your pre-contest work on learning how to work together and getting a good workflow going, rather than preparing too much stuff in advance! ;]"

I have a gut feeling it wont be base on the previous team chow from this message, but a good solid work flow and deadline timeline would be good will keep us in good stead. Cant remember who set it up last time ( I know it wasnt me) but that was great. Okay thats it from me for my first mental dump, im gonna regroup my thoughts into a corrent message......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great hearing from you AhChu and sorry for poking you so much on Facebook.

The silhouette idea is great. It'll make the characters come more alive when they're in a team and we could show their diversity.
    Daestwen does have something great for us. I hope it will rock 10 times more then the first team chow.

As soon as we know the briefs and final deadline I'll make another schedule again with our team deadlines. I want to know from you all if you'll be busy with work or have some free time to spend or are even on a holiday with no school/work (like me). With that information I'll be able to create a schedule that suits us all. Glad to hear the previous schedule was working for you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    work schedule for me is basically 4 to 5 days of work each week all of august, ill post up my free days if thats helpful for coordinating stuff schedulewise. when im at work im usually tied up from 5 in the morning til 8 in the evening with commuting, but then again i spend my commute time with my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work mon to fri full time, hopefully no late nights this week, but I will make sure I hit every deadline if I do work late...I will be up early to watch that live stream tomorrow so as soon as that is finished I will be checking to see if the brief is up, I will be online all day tomorrow to start nutting this out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brief is up!

copy/pasted below.

"This month's Team Chow is going to be a little different! This time, we are creating fantasy portraits for player characters - with good and evil versions! It's both a wide open brief and a very strict one! Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a random team from the options given to you below, and to create 4-8 fantasy portraits that read well together and still look awesome separately. Thus, as a team, you must create a compatible 'look' for your characters."

linkplease: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=164934

With the fantasy angle in mind, should we perhaps get a clarification if the futuristic urban setting is still ok, or if we need to modify it a bit to suit the fantasy req? I think we should still keep the dark rainy setting since that will keep the pics unified with mood/colours and clothing a bit, as well as settle on a culture/timeperiod to draw inspiration from, like we discussed above.

what do you guys think? keep the future setting or go more classic fantasy timeperiod but keep the dark rainy mood?

So psyched for this, stuff like this is just want id love to focus on and get better at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm all game for a fantasy mood. But wouldn't it be more challenging to go with this setting and create the characters? Just wondering.... But we already have the 'magic' thing going on with the hidden ones. We could add some fantasy stuff like mimer said or adjust a few things. Any idea's? Omg, the brief is sooo good It gives us a lot of freedom to do what do best and discover new things along the way.

That said, we need to do at least 6 characters. It will be difficult to divide 6 characters amongst 4 people. Skorpi said she has a full-time job too, so I'm the one with the most time I guess. I'm willing to do two characters. Or we could agree that we all do two characters giving us 8 characters to enter with. But then again...we need to do a good and evil character, so that equals 3 characters with a good and evil side right?....I'll ask in the Topic an Main thread post....

So if we do a character each, that means we end up with 8 characters, since we have to do a good and evil side. It's also important to keep the races and such variated. So who's gonna do which race/class and such. I'll pick last. Take what you think you'll be able to do and I'll do what is left

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just read the brief now, it has to be fantasy, it is to get the ball rolling on a game the community is thinking about making..ill find the thread ..hold on....just stumbled apon it the other day..http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=162285

From the sounds of it we have to produce 6 characters, good and bad version so 12 images all up.

they have got standard races but from the looks of it we can come up with some new ones aswell, and then the classes look fairly generic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I say we go for 2 character each, colour pallette cliche cools and darks for bad characters and brighter and happier tones for the light side..fable and black and white did this fairly well, Ill see if they have any useful that might help us

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, briefing is up and since i love P&P RPGs I really love it.

Time management: Unfortuanally/ Fortunally I'm jobless at the moment, so I have lot of time. So it's no problem for me to do a character more.

About setting: I like to do some different than classic fantasy. It doesn't have to be very special but especially in fantasy I hate cliches.
    Waiting for answers in the Topic tread, but so far I understand, It schold be possibe, to keep our setting, integreating some more races and a good/ bad schema.

Two color palettes for the good and the bad one will be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if we have to stick to the fantasy, which I think we might have to I was thinking of doing a Human Ranger (Except will be more of a special forces unit opposed to a tree hugging hippy) and a warlock, prolly male first the 1st one and female for the 2nd. Unless we come up with something new. Might try and come up with a new race for the warlock just to mix it up abit

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, we have some answers.

We have to stay in the brief of Daestwen, the High Fantasy stuff. She promises we'll be able to use our brief in the later rounds. We have to do at least 3 characters (equals 6 portraits). Shall we do 4 characters instead? One per member of the team. And, of course, is has to be full body. I'll find the brief and post it up in the first post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would do 4 characters.

Ok, let's think about an interesting high fantasy setting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what is high fantasy....any different to normal fantasy?...no wait never mind....I found out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lord of the rings ist high fantasy.
    Something like Harry Potter is "just" fantasy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So after reading this High Fantasy is what we know from the blockbuster fantasy movies? LOTR, Harry Potter, Narnia and such. We have to do something with that. The high fantasy world could be linked in some way to our world.

We could add something of our own brief to make it a bit more personal. Like the never ending rain?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay, lets get those creative juices flowing: as far as setting is concerned the first things that come to mind is.....

Based on continent that is going through a cival war with the two major leaders fighting to become emperor, but the intial conflict was actually started by a third party that wants to weaken the continents defensive compatibilities for their upcoming invasion.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good input AhChu. It could be like Humans vs Elves (stereotype....) . Or we could use the facts Daestwen had given us and use the good and bad side. They both come from the same world. Each time someone is born his/her evil side is born too in the other world. Or something like that. And now the bad side wants to take over the good side to completely rule the world. But there are a special type of species 'insert name here' that are born as superior beings that created the evil side of the good characters to balance the world out so they can live in peace? Or something like that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reference:

Dungeons and Dragons galeries, lot of stuff: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4arch/ag
    Dungeons and Dragons concept art by Todd Lockwood:
    Races, female: http://www.toddlockwood.com/gallerie...demikind.shtml
    Races, male: http://www.toddlockwood.com/gallerie...demikind.shtml
    Elves: http://www.toddlockwood.com/gallerie...03/elves.shtml

About good and bad: Maybe we can give them some atributs too, like north/ south, fire/water, light/dark. Ok, these are really chiches, but I don't think, race against race work, since we have to do a good and a bad version of the same character.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    okay how bout some other things, thing we can mix and match and get a really cool backstory history going on.

how bout we list out, 3 differrent sort of setting each..doenst have to be to involved just keep it fairly basic to begin with? and we should be able to pull it together in a cool seeting to be basing our characters in. sort help flesh out the characters history. we only need a basic outline to set our characters up in.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. Good/bad. In a world that is divided with a great barrier. Each side a parallel to the other. Same people, buildings, stores but one is evil and one is good.

(They both come from the same world. Each time someone is born his/her evil side is born too in the other world. Or something like that. And now the bad side wants to take over the good side to completely rule the world. But there are a special type of species 'insert name here' that are born as superior beings that created the evil side of the good characters to balance the world out so they can live in peace? Or something like that?)

2. Water world. The world consists of 90% of water. And they fight to gain the right to live on the land.

3. Underworld. The surface is dead and no one is able to live there due a terrible climate disaster. Everyone live under the world and fight over food/water and try to keep alive. Grow veggies in a dome like building with Earth's atmosphere and such.

4. Waterworld. Maybe same thing as above but under water? And they don't fight over water but for Oxygen?...

When we have the setting, maybe we could think about using cultural references? For each race to have a bit more variety. And when and who is gonna do the color pallet?...

Last edited by LostFayth; August 1st, 2009 at 10:25 AM.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.