Team Chow II :: Tall, Grande and Venti

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Last edited by daestwen; July 26th, 2009 at 01:45 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay guys and gals! Here's my thoughts: Why don't we all brainstorm our own topic/theme/moodboard and post them up here! Then we can vote on which is the best or mix and match as we like. :]

Also, I think it would be a good idea to start thinking about palettes right away, so maybe also think of a colour palette when presenting your mood board?

Awesome, I'm gonna get started on mine right away! Weee! This is going to be so much fun, guys!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds good, I guess it's better to be at least a little organized ;D

Well, I'll be off thinking then... maybe writing down some themes/topics, gathering reference-material and getting one or another (mood)sketch done

Oh yeah, nearly forgot...

*assumes formal posture*
    I look forward to working with you!
    */being formal*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay! Here's my first pass at it...

I'm thinking MEDIEVAL BATTLE ANGELS or something similar

Name:  moodboard001.jpg
Views: 3143
Size:  405.7 KB

It it isn't obvious, I'm thinking really desaturated blue with some really saturated/warm browns, oranges, reds and deep shadows!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just stopping by for a quick comment/feedback:
    I really like the angel-themed thing, but how we give it a "futuristic" twist? (I know this is done far too often... ;D)

But well, what I had in mind:

(Copyrights go to BROM)

or:

Or even something like this, although it's really getting awayfrom the typical biblical angel "look":

http://morano.deviantart.com/art/Angel-86011656

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good googaly moogaly...

My Bloggins

Mat Kaminski's Sketchbook

Sketchbooks love Critiques, give a crit, get a crit! (tm)

|| SSG -- Riley Stark | Ian Barker | Damien Levs | triggerpigking ||

The CRIMSON DAGGERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Matte_Art:

What? xD

Anyway...

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    [...] Without giving anything away, I should let you all know that you really will have to roll with the punches on this one and that you should focus your pre-contest work on learning how to work together and getting a good workflow going, rather than preparing too much stuff in advance! ;]
    If I understood it correctly I want to suggest we take these guys as an example for how we should work together. I really think their teamwork was very good and, as far as I know, they also were the first to finish^^
    Therefore I also suggest that we find a way to communicate other than CA, for example by using Skype or IRC-Channels (just as some examples)... I mean, communication and staying in touch with each other is like the most important thing in teamwork, isn't it? ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the late reply guys!

Yes, Sunroamer, I agree! Do you use MSN? I have yoitisi and dished on it already and that's an easy enough place to start. :] If you want to add me, it's my screen name (at) gmail . com!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wooooo! Sorry for jumping in here late, am not at home and don't press F5 half as often because of that

Anyway, I'll be back home the 6th, and we'll have to wait for the final announcement now before we start doing anything else I think.

My MSN is yohetismij [at] hotmail [dot] com, feel free to add me. Should be lots of fun this one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    Anyway, I'll be back home the 6th, and we'll have to wait for the final announcement now before we start doing anything else I think.
    Yeeeeah, that's the disadvantage of having me on the team. I already know everything we have to do and can't tell you! So i feel like i'm cheating if I go too far ahead with you guys.

Well the topic will be up tomorrow, so everyone will be on even footing then. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, well, I don't have MSN but only IRC, ICQ and Skype^^
    (although I guess it can't really hurt getting myself a msn-account...)

And sorry I didn't post any suggestions for the theme/moodboard... everything I thought of didn't sound too interesting :/ (stereotypical stuff like Sci-Fi themes and so on...)
    Although... how about getting ourselves "surreal world" as a topic? Hmm... guess the themes not too great for Character-Design, though (it's a lot better for landscapes, or rather, complete illustrations)

So, still nothing from me :<

E:
    "Voodoo", maybe?
    Leaves a lot of space for disturbing stuff () mixed with a lot of african/afroamerican culture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh HAI GAIS!

skype sounds good too, or msn. just lemme know which one were all gonna talk on. Also any idea of like certain times we can communicate at the same time?

anyways i really like the idea of desaturated/subtle blues with stronger warms. Ive been looking at NC Wyeths stuff and (ive got a book on him from the library, ill try to scan things sometime) his western work in particular has some nice color work we could probably use.

Also , we can probably brainstorm some settings as well. Could be like battle angels + desert + voodoo! hahaha Itd be cool if we like reaally integrated our characters in certain environments,cause theres tons of fun stuff you can do with costume based on that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, um, guys, like i said in the main thread, don't look too much into theme this time...

The new brief is actually genre-specific. a_a sorry!

but i promise it will be awesome!

I've got skype as well, under the same email address, so. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeh lets wait until the actual round is announced before we jump into anything.

I'm also on Skype, look for a Guido Kuip in the Netherlands. Please put a note with your contacts that it is for ChOW though, I don't usually add people to my Skype.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay!

Round is up so I no longer have to be so secretive about it.

So! High fantasy.

I'd like to throw in a lot of different cultural references for this, though. Actually give EACH race a different culture... I don't see why if there are multiple races they should all wear european stye armour, for example. :]

I'd really like to do a character from an "angel" style race, keeping in what we were talking about before... I already have a brief running around in my head! I will write it up soon. :]

So because there are four of us, we have to do at least 3 characters, with 6 portraits.

I think we can push ourselves and do 4 characters with 8 portraits, what do you guys think? That's two portraits each. Either we can do the good/evil of one character, or mix and match and do each other's characters. :]

As for team work, I'm thinking that we should work individually, but with heavy wip crits and paintovers for eachother, and really push ourselves to the best of what we can do!

I was thinking that a unified colour palette will go a long way in helping us work as a team and present our work in a unified fashion... I'm still interested in doing the saturated warms, desaturated cools as one palette... but maybe for the 'other' side we could flip that palette? saturated cools with desaturated warms? What do you guys think? :]

Also, we should arrange a meeting time... This weekend looks a little crazy for me so I'd prefer to speak here (as well as monday because it's a holiday) but I'm free Tuesday to have a meeting, during the day (my evening is booked). Thoughts?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay! I won't be able to do much until the 6th probably, but here are my thoughts so far:

I agree on the palette, as it will act as a bonding factor between our work. I also like the paintover idea, that way we can all do our thing but still make sure we're all on the same track.

I think it would be fun though if we first make one good/bad version of a single character each, and let someone else do the evil version of it? Should give some interesting results I think we should be able to do 8 portraits too, actually. More work = more pressure to actually start.

I'm currently at Daestwens place so whenever she's available for a meeting, I am too

Edit: Also,as Daestwen is doing her write-up, i think all four of us should come up with on character description (both the good and the evil version of it, so two write-ups each) before we move on to sketching. That way we're sure what we're going to make before we start to go wild with sketches.

Last edited by daestwen; August 1st, 2009 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd like to throw in a lot of different cultural references for this, though. Actually give EACH race a different culture... I don't see why if there are multiple races they should all wear european stye armour, for example. :]
    We could even do that with the different "alignments":
    For example, we could say that the characters good version stayed with his/her people whereas the "evil" one someday moved away (had to flee/was exiled, w/e^^) and came to adapt to a new culture. Really depends on the briefs, though

I think we can push ourselves and do 4 characters with 8 portraits, what do you guys think? That's two portraits each. Either we can do the good/evil of one character, or mix and match and do each other's characters. :]
    Well, I don't mind doing 2 portraits... and, well, what I was wondering about, since it says "portrait"... does the 3/4 rule still apply?

As for team work, I'm thinking that we should work individually, but with heavy wip crits and paintovers for eachother, and really push ourselves to the best of what we can do!

I was thinking that a unified colour palette will go a long way in helping us work as a team and present our work in a unified fashion... I'm still interested in doing the saturated warms, desaturated cools as one palette... but maybe for the 'other' side we could flip that palette? saturated cools with desaturated warms? What do you guys think? :]
    I definitely think the evil's colour palette should be different, in which way, however, I don't specifically care about :>
    Crits and paintovers are more than welcome, too^^ I hope we can profit from each other quite a lot

Also, we should arrange a meeting time... This weekend looks a little crazy for me so I'd prefer to speak here (as well as monday because it's a holiday) but I'm free Tuesday to have a meeting, during the day (my evening is booked). Thoughts?
    I'm always kinda bad at converting the time from different timezones to another. So, maybe it would be good in which timezone you live, so that maybe I can find myself a chart with all the different zones' times
    I live in Germany, so my timezone's UTC +2 (only in summertime, though). GMT = Central European Summertime.

If each of us writes his/her own brief how long should those be? I mean, the usual CHOW briefs are very short, I think. So, should our briefs be just as brief as those or should the be longer?

E:
    since my fingers itched, I just started writing something D:
    So, my character's gonna be a human, names are definitely not final and the text itself is far from being refined (not even completed xD) However, I just wanted to post it already to check whether it's okay with you because, well... the meaning of good and evil is kind of twisted in this case (although I doubt I'll be able to transport that to the images)

• Name: Ren (pending); different surnames
      Race: Human
      Profession: Fighter//Spellcaster

Humans have, like in our world, formed a great variety of different cultures and what's related to it - languages and religions, for example. This character grew up in The Imperium, one of the greatest and most civilized human nations. The Imperium's rulers have always strived to purge the world of evil demons and bring the benefits of their superior culture to the lower, less civilized human nations.
      Thus, its history is one of expansion and glorious bloodshed for the greater good; its gods are superb beings of light and goodwill, bestowing their people with the power to enforce their will over nature and the necessary strength to carry out the world's purgation. Only humanity shall prevail in the Paradisus that the Imperium's going to bring about us!

Story:
      Good:
      "Being born in The Imperium's magnificient capital of Salvatio, protected by our great nations' continued efforts to bring about us the Paradisus, I grew up surrounded by many wonders. I strived to become one of the many heroes our nation had born, one of those who would save our world from the demons lingering just outside our nations borders. I strived to become one of the brave men who would fight those wretched beings to free humanity from their oppressive rule... "(still have to finish it ;P)

Well, I guess it's far from being a brief with all those explanations xD So, Imperium's a racist, facist nation which will only accept its own culture in the world. Less civilized people who refuse the "privilege" of being absorbed by Imperium will either be forced to or, for they are "demontainted", exterminated. The "oppressive demons" actually include all non-human races (or most, for example if we include an angelic race we could have those "angels" as Imperium's guides and true leaders. Although I guess daestwen has other plans for her little winged pals ), which are everything but demons.
    All the while, even as Imperium itself is the oppressive, "evil" force in the world it doesn't see itself that way, and so does its people. So, while commiting their crimes and calamities the citizens of Imperium believe themselves the good ones, the saviours. For my "good" character-version that means that he's actually evil, whereas the "evil" one realized the terrible truth and was labelled a traitor by his people. While the good character is a brave fighter the evil one will be a "heathen spellcaster treatied with demons"; druid-sorts of thing with some voodoo-influence, I guess.

So, are you okay with something like this?

Last edited by SunRoamer; August 1st, 2009 at 10:10 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to SunRoamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds pretty interesting, though your brief is more about the world so far and less about the character. :] I don't have time right this second to make a really detailed post, but I will on monday.

I'm in Toronto, Canada on Eastern Daylight hours, so six hours behind you, if you share a timezone with the Netherlands. :] Yoitisi is here right now, but he'll be in the netherlands again next week.

Means that meetings will probably end up in the afternoons, for me, evenings for you guys. Dished usually has to work afternoons (She's two - three? - hours behind me) but i can always fill her in if we have to split up meetings a little bit.

As for the Imperium, I'm cool with that, but they would be made up of only humans, no? We still want to make it pretty clear who is good and who is evil, since these are player characters, and we have the benefit of the fourth wall. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for the Imperium, I'm cool with that, but they would be made up of only humans, no? We still want to make it pretty clear who is good and who is evil, since these are player characters, and we have the benefit of the fourth wall. :]
    Yes, only humans and considered brutal and evil by everyone but themselves. That's also why I thought it could be kind of problematic if I chose such a kind of a character (because the good one's actually bad from your characters point of view) and decided to consult wit you guys first before I continue writing the brief...

(my original motivation was that I thought that it's pretty sad that in most fantasy stories the evil guy's nothing more than just the evil guy; we never get to know more about his reasons, we never find out that, maybe, he wasn't simply evil but acted according to noble ideals/for the greater good, at least in his opinion)

And I think it's correct that the Netherlands and Germany share the same timezone :>

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I think we should stay to more recognizable 'good' and 'evil' stuff, though i like the idea of using a very lawful-evil kind of idea and chaotic-good, that could be super interesting. :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hnn, lawful-evil, reminds me of the good ol' times roaming the Sword Coast in Baldur's Gate :>
    Well then, since it's almost morning again over here I'm gonna go to bed for now but THEN I'll think about something different... probably gonna stick with humans (well, I could also try inventing my own race but actually I really like the human cultural diversity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a couple thoughts I had guys...

The Ahnge:

Often referred to as "Celestial Beings" or "Angels" by the more earth-bound races, with often a god-like status, this race is just as fallible and mortal as any other. With life times spanning up to 300 years, they outlive many of the others and thus have the connotation of being 'immortal' though they are far from. There are actually many variations upon the Ahnge, depending upon their food sources, and can range from the infinitely colourful to the more usual white/black/brown of the northern hemisphere. (There are even a race of them that predominately eat shrimp and lobster that they fish with long spears off the coast and in the swamps, that have a very delicate coat of fine white feathers with graceful pink tips, though from their ranks have come some of the most fearsome warriors ever known to grace the planet.)

Though a very tribal race, they will often band together against the 'earthmen' (not just humans, but any other race that are bound to the earth) in long and vicious wars in order to protect their homes from destruction, and also sometimes just for fun and for profit. Because they spend much of their time aloft they are not farmers, and scavenge or hunt instead, and so food supply can be a hotly demanded topic. Often they will start a war just to gain some food, and some of the less moral among them have been known to eat earthmen when times are dire.

Ahnge are characterized by the down covering most of their body, and their massive thirty-foot wingspan. They have eyes larger than a humans, who's colours range from black (very very black) to yellow and green, with the very occasional and rare blue or purple. They have very light, hollow bones and lengthy features. When going to war their lightness can either be extremely helpful or very dangerous, and thus they have two different 'styles' of fighter - a very light armoured, spear-equipped flying fighter, as well as heavy armour ground fighters, whose armour and weaponry (which varies according to taste) is too heavy to allow them to fight continuously for hours in the air, and which requires them to fight on foot, aided by the air infantry.

The Ahnge cannot naturally cross-breed with humans, a few Ahnge scholar-magicians have successfully induced fertilization through magic, and thus there are a few half-bloods. Unfortunately the cross-breeding sometimes renders the half-bloods unable to fly, which in turn causes them to become outcasts in their society and often comes with the death penalty. The successful cross breading attempts result in ahnge (often with broader wingspan) with slightly thicker bones and much stronger, which have become some of the most well-known warriors across the cloud kingdoms.

When they are not fighting with Earthmen (or simply demanding allegiance based on their 'god like' status, they are either have massive festivals, or fighting one another.

to anyone reading this thread that isn't part of the team: If you'd like to use this race for your own team, please be my guest, but i would love to see what you do with it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As for the good/evil versions...

Think of them as player characters - the player can play that character, and then can choose if they want them to be 'evil' or 'good', that sort of thing. So both characters don't exist at the same time, they are chosen by the person playing them, if that makes sense. :]

okay some more thoughts:

I think I'm going to do my character Female - Ahnge - Ground Infantry (though I might do Air Infantry) - Good... And then do a similar thing but evil.

I'm leaning towards evil being not really a GROUP of people being evil, but rather the tendencies of the person. Just like how anyone in a normal city will be of the same national affiliation, but some are nasty and some are nice. But I'm also open to good/evil organizations, so we can play around a bit. :]

Anway, ahem...

Feraethia, Daughter of Oshiir, of the Coastal Tribe of Solus

Both Description: 6'1 (average Ahnge female height), with pale green eyes. Feather colouring White and Black with blue accents.

Good Description: white down feathers on face, as well as most of torso and upper part of wings, leading into black flight feathers and blue accents on feathers and on tail. (Tail is white where it connects with the torso flowing into black soon after). She has long black 'hair' which is also part down feather, but matches fairly well to human hair but much softer, and she has some part of control over it, like most Ahgne (can flatten it while flying, ect). She has long features and a small mouth, but an open, honest face. As part of the air infantry she wears a very small amount of armour - two scaled sheets down the side and front of her thighs (back is protected by her tail), a small breast plate and gauntlets. No shoulder armour in order not to hinder flight. She also wears high dragon-skin boots tied with thick cord (think how ballet slippers tie up the leg), as well as belt and ankle sheaths to hold close-combat weaponry and two days worth of meager food supplies, just in case. As a decorated soldier she also has a few polished shells that have been granted her as medals, and she has a few pieces of miscellaneous jewelery that she has collected.

more later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd also really like to do some kind of merperson thing as well...

Guys I can't wait! Gonna start sketching some stuff out on the train home today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmhm :]

Thinking about all those things is so much fun~ Constructing your own world and everything ^.^ I want to draw maps now and the different environments of all those different nations and I want to think about the relations between those countries... the cultures, the religions, everything
    (I'm kinda forgetting that this is about characters D: )
    Anyway, I love your Ahnge

Well, for my character I'm still gonna stick with my initial idea of The Imperium although the good/evil thing won't be from Imperium's point of view. So, my evil one's going to be lawful evil and the good one's... well, he's good xD

E:
    There's still something that's bugging me:

Quote Originally Posted by SunRoamer View Post
    Well, I don't mind doing 2 portraits... and, well, what I was wondering about, since it says "portrait"... does the 3/4 rule still apply?
    Enlightment, please

Last edited by SunRoamer; August 3rd, 2009 at 05:53 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, right, sorry.

Yes. Take a look at the original thread's example image. They should be full bodied portraits. :]

Your lawful evil guy sounds good, so I would say run with it. :]

Did you guys still want to switch around the opposite portraits? I know yoi does, but what do you two think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, thankies :>

And for switching around the portraits... it's not like I mind doing it Definitely might be fun to portray somebody else's character in this, especially since we have to take care that both are at least somewhat recognizable as the same person^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I thought that would make it super fun too. Awesome. Hopefully when we can get a meeting this week we can discuss it a bit more in detail and work out some stuff... I was sketching a bit on the train so hopefully i'll have something to show you guys soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sketching, eh? Maybe I should do that, too, instead of constantly thinking about the character's story and so on... "efficiency" seems to be a word I don't quite know ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hokay, here we go, finally something drawn, huh?

So I was trying to make her very etheral and beautiful and kitten/small puppy/baby seal like to make it clear how humans could revere them so much but I think i took it a bit far, heh.

Definitely nothing solid yet, just took it and ran with it.

Name:  ahnge001.jpg
Views: 2735
Size:  240.3 KB

35. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.