Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    bluhblargh I'm back home enjoying my jetlag at the moment, but I should get to sketching a few things soon now

That's all for now, brain out...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well, I like it Daestwen!
    The only thing that kind of stood out was the nose... it was rally very humanoid, and at the same time really broad. The kind of nose I'd expect on a dwarf or a halfling, but well, I think it doesn't really fit mermen...
    Anyway, I made a quick overpaint of one of the other possibilities (just 2 little slits)
    (well, it turned out quite more like a feline nose and it also doesn't really blend in with the rest, but well, it still shows what I wanted to show, I guess D: )

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    So, I somewhat added a body to the head =O

Athough it's only the upper body... <.< Anyway, it's enough to show the clothing and the cultural influence:

So, the good one will be inspired by the Maasai, although the influence probably will only go as far as to the clothing. So, no shaved heads, no typical-Maasai tatoos and so on. Although I really love their traditional headdress, which would probably look stupid with such long hair :<
    Right now the clothing's somewhat like this or this but I'm also considering such a style (so, more or less bare upper body).
    On the other hand I already thought about doing something similar (=> bare torso) for the evil version; though that one will be more inspired by typical roman clothing. So, I thought about giving him a gladiator's gear (somewhat like this. Although I want to make it look less Village People-ish :'D) But well, we'll see, I guess ^.^
    Eh, yeah, thats pretty much it :>

E:
    for some reason, nothing was uploaded :/ Should be up now, however^^

Last edited by SunRoamer; August 6th, 2009 at 07:44 PM.

Thanks
    heres a sketch of my orc shaman lady...

checking out some amazonian tribe costumes/accessories to add to it,but for now,sleep time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dished For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    So I've been spending some time drawing a worldmap :>
    Well, since it's fantasy the climatic zones are kind of extreme; the whole thing so far is definitely smaller than the whole of europe, still we got something like a pole in the north of the map and mediterranean climate in the south of the map; I guess fantasy worlds usually tend to be a little bit cramped :'D
    Right now I'm thinking about how The Imperium expanded (so, like the whole history. This also includes already sparing some thoughts for the pantheon (nothing too concrete though) and also about my characters journey.
    The original (rather small) Imperium will be located in the western part of the mainland and well, later on it'll be like almost everywhere. Well, at least except for parts of the swamplands where my good version stranded^^

Thanks
    Another update...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dished For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love it, dished!
    Can't wait to see the other version's first sketches :>

So, I continued with the world map. Now you can see how far Imperium's spread. I'm even thinking of slapping together a little movie... to tell the story and such ^.^ It would be cool if I could include some environment-sketches as well :> *doing everything that has the chance of being labelled "unnecessary"*

Also, I further worked on the character design (even fixed some anatomical things, something unnecessary again :/), reworked his arm-stump, the tattoo and the accessoires.
    (three versions: fullbody concept with clothing and everything, bare upper body to see the tattoo, bare upper body to see his bare upper body)

( ~(°A ° ~) )

And I also already have an idea for the final illustration, whereas for the evil version I only got the character design => I'm probably gonna do the good one 'cuz I like the idea, however I don't want to force my concept for the actual illustration onto whoever-will-be-doing-it

E:
    dammit, just ignore his legs D: Anatomy sucks... xD

Last edited by SunRoamer; August 8th, 2009 at 10:08 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    hey guys! sorry i've been so out of it, hopefully i'll feel better tomorrow

loving the orc and i really like the map though i think we need a couple tiny pockets of hold-out among all that red... like tiny little towns that just *would not* give up and they simply gave up on taking them over and just went around.

maybe we could get some wood elves in there, sequestered in a forest that the humans have yet to enter and keep their lives? A fierce race dedicated solely to survival in the shadow of a xenophobic empire with no love of their kind...

also, the anatomy on the guy isn't just his legs :] right now he's about ten heads tall! if i'm feeling better tomorrow i'll do a paintover for you.

in the meantime, here's my current angel sketch... ignore basically everything save the armour, please, really haven't looked into those bits yet. Basically i'm going for some fishscale-style leather/dragonhide armour kind of thing...

Name:  ahnge002b.jpg
Views: 2249
Size:  187.3 KB

Last edited by daestwen; August 8th, 2009 at 12:07 AM.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey I finally got around to read all the post in here concerning the story and background. Kinda cool stuff, but I have a spot of trouble with connecting your character design to the idea of it being such a huge and powerful empire, Sunroamer.

My problem is that I have trouble believing a culture based on the Maasai, by being just a tribe and using fairly primitive weapons, they actually managed to conquer such a vast Empire. Looking at almost all great nations and empires in the past, I think all of them had a technological advantage over their opponents (and maybe some luck and a great army). I like the character write up you did of him, but can't match the culture you chose with the story really I'm afraid. I'd suggest either changing the side he's on (which would need some changes in the write-up) or change the character design so he looks like he's actually belonging to an advanced culture (could still be based on Maasai, just more advanced). Hope you don't mind my suggestion here.

Also, for the style of the final entries of us: are we still using the colour palette (warm yellows/reds vs. cool blues/greys or the other way around) as Daestwen suggested in the first few posts, as well as the classical painter style? I'm totally up for that, just wanted to make sure we're all on the same page with it.

Thanks
    I really like your design Britt, but well, you know that already I guess ^^ Although it's actually mainly about the armour I really love the peacock/Bird of Paradise-tailfeather^^

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    loving the orc and i really like the map though i think we need a couple tiny pockets of hold-out among all that red... like tiny little towns that just *would not* give up and they simply gave up on taking them over and just went around.
    Well, yes, why not ^^ The map was more to simply show how much Imperium has expanded, so I didn't think too much about possible resistance

Quote Originally Posted by daestwen View Post
    also, the anatomy on the guy isn't just his legs :] right now he's about ten heads tall! if i'm feeling better tomorrow i'll do a paintover for you.
    The upper body's anatomy's right, though? Right?^^ Well, about his lower body... Guess his feet should be somewhere around the bottom of the pic and not outside of it xD that means his kneecaps also have to be moved upwards a bit (a lot, in fact xD) Paintover would be welcome anyway, just to make sure it definitely gets right

Quote Originally Posted by yoitisi View Post
    My problem is that I have trouble believing a culture based on the Maasai, by being just a tribe and using fairly primitive weapons, they actually managed to conquer such a vast Empire. Looking at almost all great nations and empires in the past, I think all of them had a technological advantage over their opponents (and maybe some luck and a great army). I like the character write up you did of him, but can't match the culture you chose with the story really I'm afraid. I'd suggest either changing the side he's on (which would need some changes in the write-up) or change the character design so he looks like he's actually belonging to an advanced culture (could still be based on Maasai, just more advanced). Hope you don't mind my suggestion here.
    Ah, I think you misunderstood something (or maybe, my explanations were not clear enough):
    Imperium is a nation inspired by the roman empire. The Maasai-influenced people live in the swamplands which are not-yet-conquered; while the good version of my character grew up in and also fought for Imperium he later on was taken in by said people (when he had been wounded). He then realizes that Imperium isn't as good as he always thought and adapts to the people who saved him and now supports them against his own country.
    More believable that way?^^

(I guess I'll still have to change the write-up to make sure there are no such misunderstandings... ^^" did you also understand it in another way dawn, Britt?)

Thanks
    Sunroamer: Ah uhm, must've been me I think. Would be cool if you could write that out in a single post with nice write-up Still, he'd have dealt with a culture more advanced than his own, so he's bound to have picked up a few things from them I guess.

I think what confused me is the fact that the Empire is evil but looks shiny, bright, golden and basically like the 'good guys', while all the others look like the evil side but are actually the good guys. This is something that is really hard to pull off I suspect, as then the designs have to be really subtle since the division between good and evil isn't really clear (as opposed to most High Fantasy worlds). Hmm..

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    I think it's doable with body language and expression. Just think of the movie gladiator... joaquin phoenix definitely does not look like a good guy, even when wearing totally white shiny armour.

Thanks
    I want to have him protect a little child or something in the final illustration, besides we also have the colour palette and such to help differentiate between good and evil... I hope it works out ^^"

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2