IDW #105: Domestic Transformer - Voting

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite entry in this round of IDW!

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • waffleKoan

6 25.00%
  • Swordhand

0 0%
  • Rabies

0 0%
  • Lightpunk

5 20.83%
  • gunnarsson

13 54.17%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Icon IDW #105: Domestic Transformer - Voting

IDW #105 Topic: Domestic Transformer

Deadline: Wednesday, August 5

No voting for your own entries! I repeat, no voting for your own entries

Give critiques and comments, we're all here to learn from each other!

Original thread: IDW #105: Domestic Transformer

Name:  IDW logo poll smaller.JPG
Views: 1077
Size:  7.5 KB

Last edited by yoitisi; July 28th, 2009 at 06:55 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Final

Here's my final image. Thanks for the crits, everybody - and good luck. Also, thanks yoitisi for moderating the event and the topic suggestion, I really enjoyed working on this!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *whirr! zoot.. vrrrrroom kreek!*
    Name:  blender transformer.jpg
Views: 1121
Size:  324.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decepticon shaver
    See? - simple!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Phonebot

I didn't read the later comment about it having to be a humanoid robot until now - doh! - so this is probably ineligible! Still, here is my transformer based on my incredibly clunky old Nokia...

Great topic!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey now!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A small note on this round:

Apologies again for being late, not being at home to makes for a very organic schedule I'm afraid New topic is up too btw.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oops, I missed the humanoid rule aswell! Sorry for that! Seems that others did too heh..

Anywho, this was definitely a fun one, more people should have seen it!

Wafflecoan, good work! Nice clean rendering and presentation! I didn't quite get how it transformed/which part became what, maybee turning the original slicer around showing more of the construction instead of all of the blade could help that.. Anywho! Goods a job, got my vote!

swordshand - Also a good one! i like how the glass becomes the wings.. I think the three explanation thingies could have been worked on. It would be nice to see how it transformed, but the state they are in now, I'd probably leave them out.. Now let's not get to negative upin this ass! Nice job mang!

rabies - Good idea there with the razorheads becoming arms! When it comes to rendering, it could use work on edges and shading.. It needs sharper edges between anything with space behind it. the right foot from our view has that pretty good. That foot looks like a 3d object with space behind it more hen the rest i'd say. I think that using lines outlining objects as oposed to painting it darker towards the edges, or lighter,(sharp edges be it between a dark object and a light background or the other way around makes for a good feel of depth) is a bad idea.
    Also I'm not sure if he is jumping through the air or climbing over the dead man, some cast shadows onto the dude would come in handy!
    I hope i wasn't to negative or lecturing, I don't know if you already know this and think"that pretentious bag of clownpoop!" but yeh its a good idea, and the composition with the dead guy is tops!

lightpunk - Good one! Actually, as I looked at it, I didn't really get what those numbers were ontop of it. I thought that maybe it was some.. I dont know. That the transformer showed the numbers there instead of the monitor, cause where was the monitor! Heh yeah. I could not see the numbers on the phone, this all happened in a short time, i try to look through 'm pretty fast, might be a habit from the chows. I might actually have voted for ya, perhaps you could have shown those things more clearly.. I enjoy the realistic rendering. The far background would probably gain from being painted out as a bedroom/whatever.
    I should have given it some more time. on the other hand those little things could've been more clear. But its a well good job mister, i likes!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gunnarson
    Thanks for all the crits lol no i dont think your a prententious bag of clownpoop i appreciate constrictive critism, besides, iwe my art skills have been walked over so many times this was nothing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job everyone! I voted for gunnarsson, here's a couple crits:

Swordhand - Nice concept, I especially like the idea of the glass breaking apart into wing elements. Seems like you could have pushed the detailing just a little bit further, a few parts of your image are nice and crisp but some are soft and vague. Typically I think in terms of hard edges and clean lines when dealing with a mechanical subject. I like the head of your 'bot, the snout and eye are nicely done.

Rabies - I really liked yours, I think you've done a nice job using reflected light to give your 'bot a real solid sense of mass. It's a cool concept too, all in all a great job on the 'bot. I feel like you could have devoted a little more energy into the human's face, for such a large compositional element it feels a little rough and unfinished. The eyes, in particular, could use a little attention. A nice idea for the presentation, though, and a solid job overall - my favorite part is the way you've worked the highlights on the "head" part of your 'bot.

Lightpunk - Excellent, crisp rendering. I like the texture effect on the desk, and the little details you've included on the 'face' portion of the 'bot. Nice job lighting those cube shapes, too, very believable. A couple small crits: there's a little perspective problem with the gun element, it seems like it's on a different plane than the rest of the head. (Nice reflection there, though, btw). Also, the 'bot design is fairly generic, though it's definitely a believable design, given the style of phone it transforms into.

gunnarsson - Great job, and thanks for the crit! (I agree, it might have been a better decision to show the other side of the saw). Anyway, I love your design: it's compact, miniature, seems like something I could build myself! I think you really nailed the idea of a 'domestic transformer'. The only crit I can think of is that those three rib elements inside the 'bot seem to be skewing down and away from the plane that the rest of the mouse is built on. I can't tell which is the correct perspective, they seem to touch the two sides of the base in different places. Just a great design though, a cool mix of mechanical and organic tech that I really like.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to waffleKoan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Eveyone! This is my first ever post, having been just looking about for a while. Awesome topic though, I just couldn't resist. Loving everyone's stuff!

I know the voting's started, but I hope this isn't too late.

I didn't really have time to draw the camera or do the transform, but I guess it'd be a bit like the recent films and kind of cheat - all those moving parts!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Tomercs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all,

This was such a good topic, really enjoyed it. Thanks for all the comments and crits everybody, very helpful!

Wafflekoan - voted for yours dude, very cool design and execution all round on the transformer and great presentation. I could really see it on the side of a toy packaging etc

Swordhand - think yours is the most imaginative on the design front & you picked quite a challenging appliance to start with so good job! Like the other guys crits, I think maybe a bit more work on the interim transform stages would have helped.

Rabies - I am never going to shave again! Really like the razor hands in particular. Maybe bit more work needed to place him on the guys neck, looks a little like he is floating there at the moment.

Gunnarson - also very cool & believable design and execution. Good work!

Tomercs - I love this!! Great design, very cool dynamic pose, and really nice use of lighting/value to create depth. I would definitely have voted for this one if I could have.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightpunk For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.