Sketchbook: Lets try this again.

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Lets try this again.

This will be my third sketchook on this site. I'm sure you've all been paying attention to the economic crisis that has been going on, unfortunately the shit hit the fan only a few weeks after I got hired into Ford. Because of this I have spent the last year struggling to hold onto my job and keep up with classwork, and every other damn thing.

Well, now that Ford seems to be stablizing and I'm no longer freaking out about losing everything I figured I could start to focus on my art again. I was planning on resurecting one of my old sketchbooks, but I haven't really put pencil to paper in any serious way in well over a year it seemed like I should start from the beginning. I went out and got a .5mm mechanical pencil and a moleskin and got to work. Most of whats below is from imagination, but some is from reference as well.

I need a lot of help, and I can more than stand harsh criticism. All I ask is that you please be specific.

Enough talk, here is some art:

Name:  IMGP4630.JPG
Views: 871
Size:  226.5 KBName:  IMGP4631.JPG
Views: 872
Size:  219.6 KB
    Name:  IMGP4634.JPG
Views: 863
Size:  201.3 KBName:  IMGP4635.JPG
Views: 850
Size:  221.4 KB
    Name:  IMGP4638.JPG
Views: 858
Size:  220.3 KBName:  IMGP4639.JPG
Views: 843
Size:  212.0 KB
    Name:  IMGP4641.JPG
Views: 824
Size:  219.8 KBName:  IMGP4643.JPG
Views: 837
Size:  237.4 KB
    Name:  IMGP4644.JPG
Views: 812
Size:  209.9 KBName:  IMGP4645.JPG
Views: 813
Size:  222.1 KB
    Name:  IMGP4647.JPG
Views: 804
Size:  229.2 KBName:  IMGP4652.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  223.6 KB
    Name:  IMGP4653.JPG
Views: 784
Size:  244.6 KBName:  IMGP4656.JPG
Views: 766
Size:  231.5 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by wiggum; July 26th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.
    Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Here are a few more, I tried to take some better pictures this time. This is from photo reference/imagination.

I'll try and update three or four times a week.

Name:  IMGP4658.JPG
Views: 778
Size:  227.6 KBName:  IMGP4661.JPG
Views: 776
Size:  207.6 KB

Remember, just because you have their attention doesn't mean you have their respect-Dale Gribble (from King of the Hill)
    Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I can see a great improvement in you second post. Looks liek your first post was mostly from memory and isn't as strong as your referance works, but keep up with the referance drawings or life drawing and they will deffinately improve. With the sketch where you wrote "need help" i'd say move the shoulder forward and up. I like the stylistic shading you have on your sketches but try adding in faces and full fingered hands in you referance pictures too.

Thanks
    I know I said I would update fairly often, but stuff from the real world keeps butting in. I did a CHOW a few weeks ago. The subject was a city, I chose Detroit. I only managed to do a few sketches, and they didn't really turn out all that well, but I figure I might as well repost it this stuff here.

Name:  detroit%20001.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  54.4 KBName:  detroit%20002.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  143.3 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I'm loving the female figures. I can see the way your placing the pelvis and chest areas and the way you seem to join them together in twisted poses is very nice. and the hair on the first page you posted is very nice too.

on the pic labled 'need help'. i'd say that the muscle connecting the shoulder group to the neck itself (sorry, forgot the name) should be stretched out to attatch to the neck on the side rather than at the back of the neck as it is now. right now the muscle looks to be contracted as if the neck were to be leaning and twisted towards us. thats my opinion anyways.

hope you find the time to keep updating!

Thanks
    Wiggum, after seeing what you did here and in those other two threads; I say that you have improved quite a bit.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    It has been far too long since I've had any updates on here. Unfortunatly between work, school, videos games and every other damn thing I've barely been able to do any drawing, and what little drawing I have done I haven't been able to post since I moved out and I had to leave my scanner behind. Well I just got a new one (I just set it up today and I'm not used to its pecularities yet so some of the scans are a little bad).

I took the Anatomy class for Artists by Marshall Vandruff. Some of these were sketch during the class and some were done the other day after I bought the books by Bridgeman and Rubens. Not perfect yet, but I would like to hear any comments or criticisms.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    you have great potential, just keep working hard. I think still life and other life drawings would help you out a lot too.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeremyg0rd0n View Post
    you have great potential, just keep working hard. I think still life and other life drawings would help you out a lot too.
    Thanks man. The issue with the life drawing just comes down to time, maybe I could do more over the summer, but right now I just can't. I've had one of those wooden doll things for a long time and I do like to draw that occassionally, maybe I'll focus more on it in the future.

For right now I have a few more sketches to post, these are just some more studies from the Bridgman and Rubins books.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Here are a few more. Nothing special, just some more Rubins/Bridgeman stuff. If you see anything that could use improvement let me know.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    MOAR!!!

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Fantastic studies!

Here's my sketchbook!

Thanks
    I wanted to update this thing a little sooner, but I'm just getting over being pretty sick. This is all from my new sketchbook, unfortunately, the pages don't quite fit on my scanner so some of the scans are of a pretty low quality.

Anyways, I did a few female figures from reference and one from imagination. Frankly I'm very pleased with how they turned out. I just hope I can keep improving.

Comments and Criticisms are always welcome.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I made it out to the DIA today and managed to do a few quick sketches while I was there. Figured I should go ahead and post them.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I feel bad that I'm having trouble updating this thing regularly, but I do what I can.

I've just gotten better after like 2 weeks of being completely knocked out by a cold/flu/throat infection, and I've finally managed to get this stuff posted.

Hopefully I'll have more soon. I'm a little pissed though, I'm probably going to have to buy a smaller sketchbook so I can get it on my scanner easier. I'll never understand why they can't just make a scanner that is like 1 inch wider than standard...oh well, enough text here is some art.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    If finally said "fuck it" last week and hauled off and bought a small Intous4. I've spent most of my free time between then and now playing around with it. I have an old copy of PS7 on my computer already, and my buddy had a copy of zbrush he isn't using so he let me take it. It also came with some free software called Autodesk Sketchbook Express which is actually seems to be a pretty cool program.

Here are a few drawings I did. First off is Mister Sun, the very first drawing I ever did with my Intous4. The next three represent the progression of a single idea that took three drawings to get to something reasonable. I did the first one in PS7 (for what I was actually trying to do I probably should have used Sketchbook Express), the others are done with good old fashioned Graphite.

I had an idea for a short story about a princess a long time ago. I even had some thumbnails drawn up of a 9-11 page comic I might go back and do. Anyways, I was thinking of that when I drew these. She is supposed to be a upper class Byzantine Women from around the time of Justinian.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Double Post...Sorry

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Here are few more. I inked one of the princesses from above, and made a newer nuder version. I'm a little busy with the real world (finals) right now so I might not be able to post for a while.

Anyways please leave some comments and criticisms.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Nice work, it's always great to see such motivation. It'll definitely pay off, keep the studies going!

Thanks
    I did a quick window painting for my fraternity this weekend. Thought I'd share.

I actually had fun doing this, I just wish I had more time to make it better.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I just wanted to draw a quick figure to practice my hatching. Figured I would post it here.
    Name:  nude girl0001.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  155.3 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    I love the window painting and the colors stand out so much. And I love the hatching you have on your figure drawings.

Thanks
    I definitely see progress with the hatching; keep it up!

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I normally hate these kinds of websites, but a friend of mine invited me.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Request to be added first.

Thanks
    I can see improvement in the structure of your drawings. Just don't rush the heads. One thing I've learned is not to draw any features before you have a good overall head construction. Be very carefull with the eyes and make sure they fit correctly in the sockets. If they look wrong they will ruin the whole drawing.

Thanks
    Ever feel like the entire universe is conspiring to keep you away from your sketchbook? I'll spare you all the details, but this has been one of the least pleasant couple months of my life so far, and its still far from being over. Anyways I managed to get a little done.
    I don't have a whole lot to say about most of this. The ink drawing was intended more to just help me practice my hatching and try out some new ink pens I got (COPIC multi-liner, expensive but very nice). I had so much trouble with every aspect of that drawing... I like to smoke cigars when I draw, and through what I can only describe as a Rube Goldberg sequence of events I dropped a lit match onto a piece of paper towel that was on top of the bristol I was drawing on, setting the paper towel ablaze and ruining the bristol I was using. I ended up using an overhead light to try and trace the anatomy onto a new bristol board (I don't have a light box available). I intended to give her a cartoonily large head, but it just didn't turn out all that well...

Anyways, as always, I welcome and appreciate any C&C.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Here is a quick painting. I was going to finish it, but I'm just not going to have the time for a project like this. Let me know what I can improve in the future.

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Its been a long time since I've been able to do any updates on here. Basically I've just been too busy with work and school. Anyways, here are a few things I've managed to do over the last couple months. Its not much, but hopefully I will be able to get back in the groove soon:

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    Hey, I've been having an awful month, so I haven't had a chance to post anything. I haven't really created much worth posting, but here are a few. As always, I would greatly appreciate any comments.
    Name:  sketchbook0001.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  207.3 KB
    Name:  sketchbook0002.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  231.3 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks
    School is finally out and my new job doesn't start until next week. So I decided to pull out my much neglected tablet and do some drawing/painting. I've been having trouble doing the art thing this last year, as you can see my last post was all the way in September. Hopefully, with this, I can start to improve at a more rapid pace.

Its just a naked chick, none too special. Its not done yet, but I would love to hear any comments or criticisms anyone has on the piece.
    Name:  photoshop sketches2_postable .jpg
Views: 237
Size:  52.3 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Thanks

overdue...

Its been over 8 months since I've made a post, much to my great shame...

I've been working, but not producing a lot worth posting, so I figure I'll show off a couple of highlights. This post is just stuff I've done for my fraternity (Theta Tau Professional Engineering Fraternity). There are a few shirt designs, another window painting and a couple things for some fliers/business cards.

Might as well mention this here as well, if anyone here is in Detroit for the Dalley in the Alley stop by our house for the afterparty. Cheap booze, good times. (I know there are a bunch of CCS kids on here, stop on by)

Name:  2011-04-20_19-01-59_85.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  38.0 KB
    Name:  Business Card Front copy.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  96.2 KB
    Name:  Business Card Back copy.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  70.8 KB
    Name:  Extreme Gearman0001.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  38.8 KB

Old Sketchbook 1
    Old Sketchbook 2
    Newest sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2