Thinking of getting this printer, suggestions?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thinking of getting this printer, suggestions?

What do you think fellas? I am considering getting this inkjet printer for my drafts and simple prints. http://www.officemax.com/catalog/sku...i_sku=21599888

I've done some searching around and havn't found any better price bargain for a printer of that style. Uses 4 or 6 inks. I want to invest into an inkjet for simple prints before getting a laser, for big quality work. Comments and suggestions welcomed!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I would suggest NOT getting an inkjet; their cartridges go through ink much faster than a laser printer goes through toner.

I have this one, after shopping around for a while:

http://www.samsung.com/za/consumer/d...d=CLP-310N/XFA

Samsung CLP-310. Cost around $275US. Color Laser Printer.

Cartridges are about $38 on newegg.com, but I haven't even had to buy them yet. I've printed over 1000 docs so far, and the black toner isn't even down 1/4 of the way. The colors are even less so.

The quality is very high; no "smudging" as with inkjets.

I bought mine at OfficeMax.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,674 Times in 1,473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I have the CLP-315. It's actually looking much cheaper, now.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...m=4#ps-sellers

From $130 new. It's a freakin steal.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Psage, that looks like a better deal. And I agree with you on the ink. However it was because of the inkjet's large paper scale size options that caught my interest. I may just get the laser instead however!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was about to buy the "Samsung" laser printer, but after some considerate research I decided it was not what I was looking for. It has more negative reviews and warnings than anything, and I'm only taking the caution. Alot of bought printers being broken not long after use. One fellow mentions that you can get a lot of B&W prints, yet not as much color print out of it. And many reviews mention a strange, burnt-circuitry scent. Draws up a lot of current. I don't know if you had any problems with your Samsung printer, P Sage, but whether yes or no let me know.
    I am researching into other printers and considering another laser printer.

What I need is a stand alone single printer (not an all-in-one functional) that can print good quantities of B&W and color, both draft and quality. And hopefully photographs too, without using up cartridges fast. I'm hoping to find something under the $400 range (marked down retail obviously) and it can't be one of those large types; I have very little desk space for a printer and hoping to find a compact size.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know, I am searching!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure that printer is on sale right now for $180 at Staples. It has 6 inks that are pricey, but the prints themselves are beautifull. For $180 I'd "strenuosly" recomend it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Epson Photo 1400 still looks promising except one fact: it uses up too much ink. At least that's what I'm getting from a lot of reports. So I'm a little iffy at the moment because I want something that will last, and not cost me my wallet before the month is over. I will be printing on a regular basis with many uses: art, college work, drafts and texts, photos you name it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love my Epson 1400 -- it does eat ink, but it also prints beautifully and that's what I bought it for. Being in Canada, I can buy individual cartridges for 24.00, but I went and bought a set of three packs of each colour from Costco.ca. I think the price online has gone up since I bought them, since the price is now 70.00 for three so there's only a 2.00 volume savings now (I saved over 50.00 total when I did this months ago).

I'd like a cheaper ink supply, but I wouldn't sacrifice the quality of the print.

I'm planning on getting the Brother all-in-one that prints and scans 11x17 as a back-up in case my old Mustek dies, but that would be for the cheap scanner rather than the printer.

Best of luck,

~R

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have that same exact printer at my work (im a graphic designer), it works great and prints our really nice quality, great for previewing your work.

With that said, it is expensive on the cartridge side, you will run out constantly and quick. Also it is really slow at printing, and you have to let the images dry before touching it. Also it converts all your images to rgb before printing i found out, so if your doing print to be published make sure you keep that in mind.

other than those issues it's a good buy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Epson printers are generally very nice. I'm eying the Photo 1400 but don't have quite that much money yet.

If you're worried about cartridge cost, check out a business called Cartridge World. They've got a good number of locations in the US and a lot internationally too. They recycle and refill cartridges, so you can get your old cartridges swapped out for refills at 1/2 the price. I've got an Epson Stylus C88, (previously a C66) and I get all 4 cartridges refilled for $35, where it would cost almost $70 to buy them retail.

I haven't had any trouble with the refills, and if the printer doesn't recognize them, the business swaps them out or re-"signs" them so they work. It's a good deal all around.

Also, inkjets may eat ink more quickly (although I've gotten at least 60 pages of high-quality prints out of mine and the cartridges aren't done yet), but laser cartridges are crazy expensive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've done a search on google for the pricings on the Photo 1400; I might just be sticking with this one for now afterall. Staples seems to be no longer selling it; I found the link and pulled it up and only a redirect link to their homepage. The lowest price I can find at the moment is $200 at OfficeMax. If y'all know of any better deals out there let me know!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I actually work for an IT reseller right now so I've had to help a few people with things like this...

The epson are great, like people have said. They are slower printing and they do really consume the ink. The ink is not a high yeild and the things you print use a lot more ink to really saturate the page. That being said they look really nice when they are done.

What we went with when we got a printer which is doing us really well is an HP multifunction which can also print photos (almost canon photo printer quality) on photo paper. It's not super slow, not fast, when it comes to printing photos. But the rest of the time it's a pretty speedy machine. If you look at HP multifunctions they have some pretty good deals. And they are fairly reliable. I'd advise maybe going to a professional level and not necessarily with what's on sale if you want something to last just because most of the ones on sale are on clearance and being replaced.

But that's just my 2 cents!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the delayed reply fellas, had some interweb connection issues. What I am considering is getting the Epson 1400 and just grabbing cheaper inks of the same or simular color tone ink cartridges. I used to have inkjet printers in the past and I know what it's like to go through them and buy cartridges once and again. What I'm concerned with is whether I will have to stick with epson-made inks if I get the Epson 1400, or would it possibly allow non-Epson inks of simular color tones. Decent idea or no?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.