Why am I angry???
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Why am I angry???

I never thought Id be here saying this. ssiiiggh...Its not a motivation problem...so I hope this isn't as annoyingas usual. I have all the motivation in the world. My issue seems to be that whenever I sit down to draw, the SECOND things start going wrong...I get ab.so.lutely irate and immediately stop drawing. Sometimes if it's bad enough Ive even torn holes and ripped pages out of my sketchbook. Ive not seen this problem posted here yet hence my attempt. ANY help or advice with my sketchbook fury would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.

Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfruit View Post
    I never thought Id be here saying this. ssiiiggh...Its not a motivation problem...so I hope this isn't as annoyingas usual. I have all the motivation in the world. My issue seems to be that whenever I sit down to draw, the SECOND things start going wrong...I get ab.so.lutely irate and immediately stop drawing. Sometimes if it's bad enough Ive even torn holes and ripped pages out of my sketchbook. Ive not seen this problem posted here yet hence my attempt. ANY help or advice with my sketchbook fury would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.
    Don't be a perfectionist. That's it.

If it really frustrates you, pick up another piece of paper and calmly start over. It's rare that a draftsman can draw something completely without mistakes.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

3. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw with a lighter lead, and dont press hard. Go with maybe an HB or a B, keep it sharpened, and keep your drawing loose until you get guidelines down. You can even use an H if you like, which might be a better idea because the point won't go dull as fast. When things start going wrong, erase and try again. Get a kneaded eraser (a smaller one will do, they come in two sizes), maybe a pink pearl (great for smaller details, because its like a stiff kneaded eraser but with the "crumbs") and a magic rub, and you're set to take on anything!

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anything else going on in your life that's making you feel pressured?

If art is the thing you're "supposed" to feel best at, and there are a pile of other little things on your mind, it can be easy to misplace your frustration on imperfections in your artwork.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really have any stresses right now. Ive already finished applying for college n all that. And not being a perfectionist would REALLY help!! What brought this on was several weeks back, anything I drew from life SUCKED baaad. Im talking about looking like stuff I drew a year ago!! So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be.Maybe if I lived where other artists were I could get over my pity party easier. Please continue to share what wisdom you may offer!!!

Book of Sketching! ....

p sage is offline in pursuit of hot lines Level 14 Gladiator: Dimacheri
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,666 Times in 1,468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Think of it this way. As soon as you feel yourself making the mistake, take out another piece of paper and start over, with your mind concentrating even harder on doing it right.

If you can't visualize what it is you're trying to draw, use references.

Pretty soon, you'll have 300 pages ... some of them complete, some not. But you'll be well on your way toward your goal of 1 million "pencil miles." A wise artist once told me that "pencil miles" were the way to perfect the craft of drawing. What he didn't make clear was that aimless lines don't do anything for you. Your mind should be actively engaged in trying to visualize where your lines, forms, light, shadow, and color should go.

Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

9. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I draw while listening to the Simpsons, Southpark, Family Guy, and all those funny shows.

Really gets me in a loose mood. Might help ya.

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What brought this on was several weeks back, anything I drew from life SUCKED baaad. Im talking about looking like stuff I drew a year ago!! So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be.
    Ah, in that case...
    You cannot expect perfection when doing something you're out of practice with. Birds do not start off life being able to fly, and must practice to be able to do so despite it being their natural instinct. Now, consider all the aspects that go into drawing...the hand eye co-ordination, the fine motor control, the ability to scale an object correctly, and observe the form. Re-training yourself to do these things is going to take time, and you will make mistakes. Even the masters were not perfect!

It's OKAY to make mistakes, because they present an opportunity to learn. You are not a robot. You are not a laser guided drawing machine. You are a human being, and although there is nothing wrong with pushing towards excellence, some mistakes are going to happen. So if you fall down, brush yourself off and try try again.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think you should just keep drawing, and like, not stop when they look bad. On this note, use cheap paper you are willing the throw away, fill up page after page, no matter how crappy it looks.

And the stuff the guys before me said, it's good advice.

tumblr/
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Imagine yourself sitting on a chair while you watch yourself drawing. You cannot see what you draw. And all of a sudden the you sitting on the chair starts to punch holes in the paper, ripping the paper from the sketchbook, tearing it apart and throwing it around the room.
    I think that would be a funny thing to watch. Have a brother or sister make a video and post it in the 'Cheer me up' thread here on CA (Lounge area).

It's just paper, nothing really threatening to you. Paper won't fight you. Pencils would not stick you in the eye without someone holding them.
    So it's just you fighting .... you.
    Why are you fighting you? Because you expect yourself to be better all the time? If that's true, why do you need to become better all the time. And what are you looking at to determine what is better.

It could well be that your drawing is less accurate to reality compared to drawings you made one year ago. Is that bad? I don't know. Why don't you finish a 'bad' drawing the way you felt it without getting angry because 'it sucks'. It's just graphite on a piece of paper, nothing to be upset about. Don't erase, just let the bad stuff be bad. Create your own 'bad drawings' map and collect those drawings there.
    Once in a while when you are in a good mood browse through that map (it's easy for me, that would be about my entire sketchbook ). And you try to learn from those drawings. What went wrong and what did work. But more important, you should smile at them. Remember how angry you were when you made them and how much they were trying to destroy .... well, yes, what where they trying to destroy? Something that makes you a better artist? Or were they trying to destroy silly you who thought the only way of learning and improving is to do things the right way?

My advise? Frame the next bad drawing you make and give it a special place in your room. Or just put it on the wall where you can see it every day. Replace it when you make an even worse drawing. Or put both up.
    Why? To learn yourself that it's silly to get upset about paper and graphite and also to remind you that failures are here to teach you stuff and ain't there to threaten you.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    draw something simple.

"A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - never fun when it gets like that... I think being ready for it and making sure you stop before it all goes too wrong may help.

Try to take things a little slower and think through the pic you're trying to draw - get the pic in your head and as others have suggested draw lighter until you have lines you're happy with hang in there!

Meanwhile here's a little toon of mr spoon!

Attached Images Attached Images  

20. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topamax, tegretol or just simply, before you start drawing, have a drink.
    Not to get you drunk, but to get you to losen up.
    1 glass should suffice. (if it ain't piss beer.)

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,374 Times in 3,595 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Read this,

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Draw while you're listening to your favorite stand-up comedian.

Or take mood altering substances, legal or not, you decide.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why are you fighting you? Because you expect yourself to be better all the time? If that's true, why do you need to become better all the time. And what are you looking at to determine what is better.
    Thanks a lot man! That's probably a problem....I think that in order to improve myself efficiently, I need to perform at my peak all the time. In my head it's like if I practice something and it's wrong...Im only teaching myself a wrong method. I think that's one of the reasons I get mad. Like learning an instrument (Im a jazz floutist) you don't learn how to play an instrument through practicing things incorrectly...that only teaches yourself to be bad. Ive applied this to drawing so it seems...if someone can convince me otherwise...PLEASE DO!!!

It's OKAY to make mistakes, because they present an opportunity to learn. You are not a robot. You are not a laser guided drawing machine. You are a human being, and although there is nothing wrong with pushing towards excellence, some mistakes are going to happen. So if you fall down, brush yourself off and try try again.
    Man o man...if we were all drawing machines....actually...that would be no fun!!!! but...you get the idea. It's always nice to feel support such as the things you all offer!!! MUCH appreciated!!!!

Hey - never fun when it gets like that... I think being ready for it and making sure you stop before it all goes too wrong may help.

Try to take things a little slower and think through the pic you're trying to draw - get the pic in your head and as others have suggested draw lighter until you have lines you're happy with hang in there!

Meanwhile here's a little toon of mr spoon!
    Holy crap man!!! This absolutely just MADE.MY.DAY!!! XD It's good to see my own frustration from a level where I can enjoy and laugh at it!!! Your thoughts are more than appreciated....Im also enjoying the name "Mr.Spoon" Thanks man!!

Read this,
    Holy crap...I freaking LOVE that thread!!!!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That happens because you are forcing it man, you just have to let go, let it flow, be cool and enjoy the process, put some good music, throw yourself in a comfortable chair or sofa and draw, sometimes take a break from it, light a cigarette or something and look at what you are doing from far away, and then continue.

If you are not getting what you want, don`t sweat it, just start over and try to draw the same from another angle, and so on; when you finally start to see something you like you are gonna feel awesome.

The Light and Dark Arts of Cristian Saksida
    Portfolio:http://www.chrissaksida.com
    Blog:http://cristiansaksidaarts.blogspot.com
    Twitter:http://twitter.com/crissaksida

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Saksida For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is definitely helping guys!!! I love you all!!! Also to answer the jos' question..I tend look at people that are several years older than I (seems like everyone's 20+ on this site.). Plus I just feel inferior when I look at essentially every other person's sketch book.. And thanks Chris Saksida...very chill, good advice I must say. Everybody's bits and pieces of wisdom are positively uplifting and continually appreciated!!!

Book of Sketching! ....

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you're more than welcome! Just checked out your SB and dude - you got skills! V nice work

30. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    Hey you're more than welcome! Just checked out your SB and dude - you got skills! V nice work
    Thanks a lot man!! I stopped by yours as well.

XanaChama
    : Drawing in public is probably a great idea to consciously suppress it....Im really shy about that though. ...I should try it!

Thanks again everyone!! The more the merrier.

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chill. All paintings must go through the ugly stage.

I guarantee your favourite artist felt like throwing your favourite painting out of a window at some point. The education comes when you paint over it to make it less crap. (painting over failed paintings is often a great idea btw, they already failed so you have nothing to lose, try anything...)

Also, chill, it's only a painting.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    About the CD guy....BAHAHAHA!!! That's hilarious!!! XD Anyway..I also carry a sketchbook around everywhere (except for now because of 1 my problem and 2 Im taking a break to help ease my mind) but I hardly open it unless I REALLY want to do something. That's something else I should overcome..worrying about what other people think...ESPECIALLY non artists. It's what prevents me, I think the most, from drawing publicly. Thanks again for some good ol advice!!!

OH!! Here's something I just found and thought it to be quite inspiring!! Talk about SEXY rendering! Hope you all like it. http://www.collthings.co.uk/search/l...Art%20Pictures (this site also has some just generally inspiring images...photography, cloud formations etc.)

Book of Sketching! ....

35. The Following User Says Thank You to spoonfruit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That's rendering someone elses pictures. Not art.

Technically impressive but ultimately utterly pointless.

Meat Camera etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Also, chill, it's only a painting.
    Haha!! True, my friend, true... And the painting over idea...awesome!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... I need to perform at my peak all the time. In my head it's like if I practice something and it's wrong...Im only teaching myself a wrong method. I think that's one of the reasons I get mad. Like learning an instrument (Im a jazz floutist) you don't learn how to play an instrument through practicing things incorrectly...that only teaches yourself to be bad. Ive applied this to drawing so it seems...if someone can convince me otherwise...PLEASE DO!!!
    A friend of mine plays clasical flute (Mozart and such).
    When performing she plays at peak level, but in practice she often moves back to easier play or scales (think that's the right name).
    And when there are some difficult parts in the play she doesn't feel up to (short of breath for example) she will take the difficulty out (mainly cutting notes out) so she can at least practice the complete piece of music.
    It's easier to practice the difficult part separate from the complete part than to play the complete part over and over again only because you struggle at the difficult part that might be 20-25 notes.

The same goes for sports for example. Those guys and girls don't practice at peak level all the time. That would destroy their body.
    They practice at a decent level so that they can give that extra push in competition.

Don't see things as 'learning a wrong method'. If you know something is wrong you can learn from it. Adapt to the wrong and try to make it as right as possible. To put it in music, suppose you mess up a note. You can think: I messed up that note, I should start all over again. Or you just keep playing the rest of the piece. Or improvise.
    And to put it in sports: you are running. And all of a sudden you make a wrong movement and almost trip over. Do you go to the judges and tell them you want to start over? Nope, you just adapt to the new situation and push a little harder. When this doesn't happen near the finish line nothing is lost, you just need to work even harder than peak. Close to the finish such a mistake will make the difference. But do you quit that run close to the finishline? Or do you just accept that you will not be the winner but still finish in a decent time?

The only 'wrong method' is quitting without even trying to correct things and just giving up because you think you failed.
    You know what you learn from that? Not entering competition (or not playing music, or drawing) is easier because you can't make mistakes.
    You already learned that: "So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be."

See, you already learned the wrong method.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by the_jos View Post
    The only 'wrong method' is quitting without even trying to correct things and just giving up because you think you failed.
    You know what you learn from that? Not entering competition (or not playing music, or drawing) is easier because you can't make mistakes.
    You already learned that: "So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be."

See, you already learned the wrong method.
    Thanks for the reply!! This last part I found particularly appealing. (Again) one of my MANY flaws is that I sometimes give up before I even start..This happens for several reasons, but this time it's due to my "anger issues" with drawing..Once I can rid my self of this pointless fury, that flaw SHOULD be a matter of just my free will. Thanks again my friend!! This is fun...it's like getting life crits..

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is definitely helping guys!!! I love you all!!! Also to answer the jos' question..I tend look at people that are several years older than I (seems like everyone's 20+ on this site.). Plus I just feel inferior when I look at essentially every other person's sketch book.. And thanks Chris Saksida...very chill, good advice I must say. Everybody's bits and pieces of wisdom are positively uplifting and continually appreciated!!!
    Comparing yourself with other artists will only lead you in the wrong direction. The only person you should be comparing your work with is yourself besides, not a single person in this world draws exactly the same as the other (unless they are intentionally trying to but, you can tell how lifeless their work is). I think you got all you need from this thread adding anything else will make me sound like a broken record.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Eugie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've read pretty much everything in this thread, and it's all very good advice, so please take it! I know I still have a perfectionist problem sometimes, but I'm trying to get past it. Though my little contribution will be this: If you think of art as something that has to be perfect, then you'll never get it right. But not being able to get it right doesn't mean you shouldn't try.

Look at it like this: if you were in a math class, and you had a problem that you didn't know how to do completely but still had a pretty good idea on how to do it, wouldn't you still give it a shot to see if maybe you did get it right and get more points on your test/quiz/whatever? Most of the people I know would. Also one piece of art is actually more complex that just one math problem, because you have to think in so many different ways about so many different things, it's like doing over 20 math problems at once! It's hard to do right, which is why most people don't do it right, and why it requires so much learning. If we go back to the math analogy, for each of those 20 problems that go into one piece of art, there all all different formulas for, and then they're all still subjective depending on what audience you're aiming for and what you're trying to accomplish.

Like in concept art, the basic idea is to create something new, while in the pencil art link you posted, the idea is to replicate a photograph as best you can with your own skills (while I do understand there isn't much point in it for learning purposes and growing as an artist, also understand people probably do it for the novelty of having a hand drawn picture that looks so much like the picture...plus I'm willing to bet there's probably some good cash in the portrait-drawing business.)

So no, you're not going to get it right the first time, which is why you have to practice at it. Just like you're not going to be a master martial artist the first time you walk into a dojo, nor are you going to be able to lift 350-some pounds the first time you pick up a weight (unless you're some freak of nature O_o).

Another thing, when you're sketching for practice, just don't draw like it's for anyone else. Draw because you need to learn whatever it is you're trying to learn at the time. Know it's probably NOT going to be perfect the first or second or 20th time you try to do it, but each time you'll get a little better and you'll be able to see that progress. If you start drawing in your sketchbook that's meant for practicing like it's for an audience, then you're going to go all perfectionist and then you'll get aggravated because it's not coming out right and then you're going to murder your paper. I know I don't like people looking in my sketchbook that I draw in for learning because that's not meant to be critiqued on by people that aren't artists. It's just for me to learn in and no one else, they can bite me if they want to see it. I'll let other artists see it because then I can get crits and learn even more, but to the general public, I usually don't let them look. It's almost like my journal, it's something personal to me with things I drew.

Although learning and practicing is very very important as an artist, make sure to have fun with it too. If you don't, you're going to stagnate and it's going to be a complete chore to practice and you'll quit. Studies have proven that we learn a lot better if we're having fun with the task we're practicing.

Also: The thread Black Spot posted is one of my favorites when I start getting aggravated and/or unmotivated.

Last edited by aylap; July 26th, 2009 at 10:42 AM.
    Ayla...being mispronounced since 1990

Please. Help a charity case. Crit hard on my sketchbook.

My Deviantart

44. The Following User Says Thank You to aylap For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    All paintings must go through the ugly stage
    Ain't that right. That's why I always recommend to people just starting out that they need to finish every single piece they do. Otherwise it's easy to become discouraged when your piece goes through the looks-like-shit phase. In my experience that feeling of hopelessness and associated foul mood recurs on every painting I do but I've learned to grit my teeth and fight through it (apart from the other week when teeth-gritting wasn't enough and I was compelled to hit myself in the face, but that's another story)

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,344 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Spoon, you've already been given a ton of advice so I don't think I really need to get into it, but I will say;

I feel exactly the same way sometimes.

Every so often, especially when doing studies, something just snaps. I've been through rough patches in my art before, I know that there's always a journey and I know not everything will turn out, but sometimes I just snap. I have an event where I feel like what I did is terrible and I can't recover. I'm essentially useless for the day.

The problem is compounded by the 'grind to success' mentality I picked up from CA - the idea you need to be working nonstop on your art or you won't get anywhere. So when I have that little tantrum, I start thinking about how much time this will cost me, and that if I take another day off I'll never reach my goals. It just feeds into itself over and over again and ensures that I don't recover and have a horrible day.

So far the only remedy I've found is either to just leave it, or to create a piece of art that I have no real attachments to: no planning, no pressure to complete, just some thing to draw and maybe render. Stopping altogether has the problem of making me feel like I'm being unproductive, but at least I can recover a little quicker.

48. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.