Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Why am I angry???

Thanks

Why am I angry???

I never thought Id be here saying this. ssiiiggh...Its not a motivation problem...so I hope this isn't as annoyingas usual. I have all the motivation in the world. My issue seems to be that whenever I sit down to draw, the SECOND things start going wrong...I get ab.so.lutely irate and immediately stop drawing. Sometimes if it's bad enough Ive even torn holes and ripped pages out of my sketchbook. Ive not seen this problem posted here yet hence my attempt. ANY help or advice with my sketchbook fury would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.
    Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfruit View Post
    I never thought Id be here saying this. ssiiiggh...Its not a motivation problem...so I hope this isn't as annoyingas usual. I have all the motivation in the world. My issue seems to be that whenever I sit down to draw, the SECOND things start going wrong...I get ab.so.lutely irate and immediately stop drawing. Sometimes if it's bad enough Ive even torn holes and ripped pages out of my sketchbook. Ive not seen this problem posted here yet hence my attempt. ANY help or advice with my sketchbook fury would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated.
    Don't be a perfectionist. That's it.

If it really frustrates you, pick up another piece of paper and calmly start over. It's rare that a draftsman can draw something completely without mistakes.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

4. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    draw with a lighter lead, and dont press hard. Go with maybe an HB or a B, keep it sharpened, and keep your drawing loose until you get guidelines down. You can even use an H if you like, which might be a better idea because the point won't go dull as fast. When things start going wrong, erase and try again. Get a kneaded eraser (a smaller one will do, they come in two sizes), maybe a pink pearl (great for smaller details, because its like a stiff kneaded eraser but with the "crumbs") and a magic rub, and you're set to take on anything!
    Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Anything else going on in your life that's making you feel pressured?

If art is the thing you're "supposed" to feel best at, and there are a pile of other little things on your mind, it can be easy to misplace your frustration on imperfections in your artwork.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't really have any stresses right now. Ive already finished applying for college n all that. And not being a perfectionist would REALLY help!! What brought this on was several weeks back, anything I drew from life SUCKED baaad. Im talking about looking like stuff I drew a year ago!! So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be.Maybe if I lived where other artists were I could get over my pity party easier. Please continue to share what wisdom you may offer!!!
    Jesus saves from the power of sin!

Book of Sketching! ....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,685 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Think of it this way. As soon as you feel yourself making the mistake, take out another piece of paper and start over, with your mind concentrating even harder on doing it right.

If you can't visualize what it is you're trying to draw, use references.

Pretty soon, you'll have 300 pages ... some of them complete, some not. But you'll be well on your way toward your goal of 1 million "pencil miles." A wise artist once told me that "pencil miles" were the way to perfect the craft of drawing. What he didn't make clear was that aimless lines don't do anything for you. Your mind should be actively engaged in trying to visualize where your lines, forms, light, shadow, and color should go.
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I draw while listening to the Simpsons, Southpark, Family Guy, and all those funny shows.

Really gets me in a loose mood. Might help ya.
    SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Irishdrunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonfruit View Post
    What brought this on was several weeks back, anything I drew from life SUCKED baaad. Im talking about looking like stuff I drew a year ago!! So really Ive not drawn for a while because I already know what the outcome will be.
    Ah, in that case...
    You cannot expect perfection when doing something you're out of practice with. Birds do not start off life being able to fly, and must practice to be able to do so despite it being their natural instinct. Now, consider all the aspects that go into drawing...the hand eye co-ordination, the fine motor control, the ability to scale an object correctly, and observe the form. Re-training yourself to do these things is going to take time, and you will make mistakes. Even the masters were not perfect!

It's OKAY to make mistakes, because they present an opportunity to learn. You are not a robot. You are not a laser guided drawing machine. You are a human being, and although there is nothing wrong with pushing towards excellence, some mistakes are going to happen. So if you fall down, brush yourself off and try try again.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Aphotic Phoenix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    i think you should just keep drawing, and like, not stop when they look bad. On this note, use cheap paper you are willing the throw away, fill up page after page, no matter how crappy it looks.

And the stuff the guys before me said, it's good advice.
    instagram
    deviantart
    sketchbook <- help me improve!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to .pc For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Imagine yourself sitting on a chair while you watch yourself drawing. You cannot see what you draw. And all of a sudden the you sitting on the chair starts to punch holes in the paper, ripping the paper from the sketchbook, tearing it apart and throwing it around the room.
    I think that would be a funny thing to watch. Have a brother or sister make a video and post it in the 'Cheer me up' thread here on CA (Lounge area).

It's just paper, nothing really threatening to you. Paper won't fight you. Pencils would not stick you in the eye without someone holding them.
    So it's just you fighting .... you.
    Why are you fighting you? Because you expect yourself to be better all the time? If that's true, why do you need to become better all the time. And what are you looking at to determine what is better.

It could well be that your drawing is less accurate to reality compared to drawings you made one year ago. Is that bad? I don't know. Why don't you finish a 'bad' drawing the way you felt it without getting angry because 'it sucks'. It's just graphite on a piece of paper, nothing to be upset about. Don't erase, just let the bad stuff be bad. Create your own 'bad drawings' map and collect those drawings there.
    Once in a while when you are in a good mood browse through that map (it's easy for me, that would be about my entire sketchbook ). And you try to learn from those drawings. What went wrong and what did work. But more important, you should smile at them. Remember how angry you were when you made them and how much they were trying to destroy .... well, yes, what where they trying to destroy? Something that makes you a better artist? Or were they trying to destroy silly you who thought the only way of learning and improving is to do things the right way?

My advise? Frame the next bad drawing you make and give it a special place in your room. Or just put it on the wall where you can see it every day. Replace it when you make an even worse drawing. Or put both up.
    Why? To learn yourself that it's silly to get upset about paper and graphite and also to remind you that failures are here to teach you stuff and ain't there to threaten you.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to the_jos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    draw something simple.
    "A drawing is not necessarily academic because it is thorough, but only because it is dead. Neither is a drawing necessarily academic because it is done in what is called a conventional style, any more than it is good because it is done in an unconventional style. The test is whether it has life and conveys genuine feeling."- Harold Speed
    [[Sketchbook]]

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 558 Posts
    Hey - never fun when it gets like that... I think being ready for it and making sure you stop before it all goes too wrong may help.

Try to take things a little slower and think through the pic you're trying to draw - get the pic in your head and as others have suggested draw lighter until you have lines you're happy with hang in there!

Meanwhile here's a little toon of mr spoon!

21. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Topamax, tegretol or just simply, before you start drawing, have a drink.
    Not to get you drunk, but to get you to losen up.
    1 glass should suffice. (if it ain't piss beer.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast