Regarding illustration and general multimedia
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Regarding illustration and general multimedia

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Post Regarding illustration and general multimedia

Hi all,

I think this is a good place to ask my questions because most guys here are experienced artists or are working in the creative industry.

Currently, I'm 25 yrs now and is considering a career switch (I'm currently a lowly filing clerk doing admin chores).

I know some basic Photoshop and color coordination, have solid computing background, know some web programming and basic software development etc., and I'm thinking of taking up courses and diplomas in multimedia / interactive media (desktop publishing, brochure designing, those general graphics designing stuff, animation and video etc).

However, one thing which is really holding me back is that I can't draw since I was young. Even my apple or egg doesn't look convincing and a 5-year old can do it better than me.

I've tried drawing (even used to study drawing when I was a teen for 2+ years), but always ended up at the back of my class. I can picture the stuff in my head prettily, but for some reason, my hand can't draw it out.

So, I was thinking, should I still take up such multimedia courses? I'm not sure if my inability to do illustration will render me unsuitable for this course, as well as hinder my career in this field (I'm considering a career in creative industry).

I've looked at other courses like psychology, Human Resource Management, IT, Finance etc but these subjects really put me to sleep.

I'm willing to work hard in the multimedia field but well, illustration......

Thanks!
    Xeon

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quite a few people that do film/graphic design/art direction can't draw at all. Ability to draw doesn't necessarily correlate to artistic vision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your reply. As I'm interested in the digital media / design area, I've picked up 2 courses from 2 different schools for a start.

School 1:

# Internet: Intro to Technologies
    # Information technology: Applications Software 1
    # Information technology: Applications Software 2
    # Screen Based Graphics
    # Human Computer Interface
    # Desk Top Publishing
    # Multimedia Computing: Multimedia Technology
    # Multimedia Computing:Interface Design and Authoring
    # Internet: Web Development
    # Multimedia Computing: Animation 1
    # Multimedia Computing: Animation 2
    # Multimedia Computing: Audio and Video 1
    # Software Development: Introduction
    # Internet: Client Side Web Scripting
    # Software Development: Program Planning
    # Professional and Legal Issues for Web and Multimedia developers

School 2:

# M1 Drawing Techniques
    # Principles of Design
    # Print & Web Design Fundamentals
    # 2D and 3D Animation
    # Print Design
    # Web Design
    # Interactive Media
    # Interactive Media Project & Portfolio
    # Storyboarding & Digital Video Production
    # Motion Graphics
    # Digital Video Graphics
    # Digital Video Project & Portfolio

Now, I think School 2 offers better and more relevant modules.
    Fees for both schools are about the same and not a factor for me.

I prefer School 2 myself, but the problem is their class starts Jan 2010!
    That's a very long time and I'm gonna be wasting 6 months of my time waiting!

So, any advice?

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Go to the school in January, and draw in the meantime.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ech0

definitely do the second course. you need a solid foundation in art (self-taught or otherwise) in order to do any good graphic design (color, typography, form, composition, grid, etc.). school number 1 looks like a software learning program. you can always learn the technologies on your own, especially with the internet. what is most important is developing your artistic skill/vision. if your interested in being a graphic designer, make sure you visit the many design portals/blogs (designiskinky,designobserver, ilovetypography,etc.), to get an idea for whats out there and develop your aesthetic sense.

Last edited by itsech0; July 27th, 2009 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot, Ninja and Itsech! Now my mind is clearer now.
    And lol, the more I look at the courses by School 1, the more I see that it's a software programming course. :-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, one more question.

I'm picking up this book "Drawing with the right side of your brain" this week.

Anyone can tell me if it's really necessary to buy those different types of pencils and high-tech drawing tools?

I heard many artists use different shades of pencils to achieve better shading results, but I'm not sure if that's really necessary for me now, since I'm gonna be starting from scratch (drawing shapes and circles that kinda stuff).

Kristal Lee is offline Graphic Designer and Illustrator in training... Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't worry too much about fancy supplies yet. Start with whatever you have and you'll probably sense when you need to upgrade.

I'm a graphic design student and one of our profs once said that graphic design is the opposite of drawing (and I believe she meant drawing in an fine art sense) in that when drawing, you usually want to include all the important little details but in design, you're stripping those details away and breaking things down into their fundamental, very basic shapes, lines, colours and other elements. I have several classmates who are not particularly strong in our illustration classes (we do have a couple of classes on illustration and drawing techniques) but they still do excellent in the other classes, in design in general.

I would say that being able to draw well is a definite bonus in design, but depending on what you're doing, it's not always crucial at all.

Wow, I'm sleepy... I hope that all made sense.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristal Lee For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal Lee View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about fancy supplies yet. Start with whatever you have and you'll probably sense when you need to upgrade.

I'm a graphic design student and one of our profs once said that graphic design is the opposite of drawing (and I believe she meant drawing in an fine art sense) in that when drawing, you usually want to include all the important little details but in design, you're stripping those details away and breaking things down into their fundamental, very basic shapes, lines, colours and other elements. I have several classmates who are not particularly strong in our illustration classes (we do have a couple of classes on illustration and drawing techniques) but they still do excellent in the other classes, in design in general.

I would say that being able to draw well is a definite bonus in design, but depending on what you're doing, it's not always crucial at all.

Wow, I'm sleepy... I hope that all made sense.
    Wow, thanks for your insight!

Oh, and your avatar is very cool and royal-looking.

Good night!

Kristal Lee is offline Graphic Designer and Illustrator in training... Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome.

Oh, and the avatar is just simple typography. It's just a capital K from a particular typeface.

Typography is a major part of graphic design, by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristal Lee View Post
    You're welcome.

Oh, and the avatar is just simple typography. It's just a capital K from a particular typeface.

Typography is a major part of graphic design, by the way.
    LOL, I see. Now I'm gonna find a suitable avatar for my user name here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon, you could probably do with drawing paper, an eraser (I use the white plastic ones, I'm not sure what they do differently/better than the pink or gum ones, but I like them because you can cut them down easily into small wedges for erasing small areas), an HB pencil, a 2B pencil, and a 4B pencil (Prismacolor Turquoise are what I use, and they're fantastic).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninjerk View Post
    Xeon, you could probably do with drawing paper, an eraser (I use the white plastic ones, I'm not sure what they do differently/better than the pink or gum ones, but I like them because you can cut them down easily into small wedges for erasing small areas), an HB pencil, a 2B pencil, and a 4B pencil (Prismacolor Turquoise are what I use, and they're fantastic).
    Thanks Nin, but I'm using recycled A4 paper for the meantime.

Drawing paper is good but it's kinda too expensive, since I'm not even at the stage of drawing those anatomy stuff yet.

In future when I see progress, then I'll reward myself.

Btw, are graphite sticks the same as charcoal sticks?
    I don't even know what a graphite stick really is.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.