Full sail anyone?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Full sail anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Full sail anyone?

has anyone here, plan to or is currently attending Full sail Univirsity in Florida?
    I was thinking about about attending there after High school is over or is there a better college that focuses more on art/design?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If you do a search in this section you'll find quite a few Full Sail threads.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whooopsie srry :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Frankly, I am not crazy about them.

If you check out studentsreview.com , you will see a number of negative comments about the school, along with some positive comments.

Disclaimer: I am not an artist nor was I an art major. I do, however, have some relatives who are successful artists as well as family members in the field. Everyone I talked to feels that art and design takes time! Let this last sentence sink in.

I love the choices of majors at Full Sail and LOVE their web site.
    HOWEVER the problem with full sail is that it is an abbreviated program where, according to their web site, most programs are between 12 and 21 months in duration. Getting a BS in a subject like animation in two years sounds very nice until you realize that there are just so many hours in a day, and folks can only work so hard. In addition, the tuition is just over $78,000!

In addition, because of the intensity of their program, you won't be doing coops or internships. This will detract greatly from what I consider a qualiity, full-blown art education.

Finally, Full Sail is a "for-profit' endeavor. This has a lot of ramifications since they could have been a "non- profit." Why is this imporant?

Non- profits pay no tax on any tuition or charitable donations. They also pay no tax on their endowment. Finally, non profits get specially reduced postal rates. The only reason to be a "for profit" endeavor is to pay the owners a lot more money.

Note: I am NOT saying that all for profit schools are bad. SVA,G N O M A N , and Animation Mentor ( among other colleges and programs) are "for profit" endeavors. However, you just have to scrutinize them carefully.

I don't think that you can get the same quality of education as you would at an intensive four year school. Many of the comments in the students review site mirror my opinion on this. However, maybe others will have a different perspective.

Last edited by Taxguy; July 23rd, 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.