Newborn - In a Gadda da Vida
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Newborn - In a Gadda da Vida

Hybrid View

DeadInTheAttic Guest

Newborn - In a Gadda da Vida

Hi!

Time is running low. But I think, if I want to get some criticism, I have to upload my WiP. For there is still much to do. Background, lighting, shadows, colours, rain and waterdrops and finetuning are still waiting for me.

My idea is not the most original one at the first glance, but I think, my interpretation might be a bit different to other illustrations of this scene of Genesis.

Inspired by the music-clip "Selig - Wenn ich wollte" I decided to show Eve in a bit other way than being sinful. Enjoying the rain and fall in paradise, the new freedom. A bit more sensual than those religious illustrations

I like the ambivalence of it. On the on hand Eve as the first man on earth (together with Adam; though most people don't know about the first story of Genesis, in which both have been created at the same time, not Adam first, Eve afterwards). On the other the beginning of civilization, humanity by her sinfall.

And I was upset of the common mistake of many illustrations of this scene, in which there is already a snake without legs, though Eve has not taken a bite of the apple. But the snake has been punished afterwards, as far as I know.
    According to the apple it is the most powerful cross-cultural symbol I know about. Genesis, symbol of emperors (in Germany we called it "Reichsapfel"), in many mythologies, symbol for food, in literature (Illuminatus! Trilogy - The Golden Apple, different fairytales and so on), even on computers (though I use others ).

The snake in red shall associate the devil, of course.

The background will be paradise in fall. By eating the apple the paradise also loses its immortality. Falling leaves, rain, stormy weather and so on. I hope I will manage this till the end of this month

It's a pity, that the illustration is that small herein. The actual size is about 24 inches x 32 inches at 150dpi.

Hope you like it! Any C&C very welcome ^^

Some corrections done, some steps closer to the end. Thanks for your comment, Seaport

And for every illustration of mine requires a certain song (though the inspiration - as seen above - came to my mind by another song), this one is dedicated to "Iron Butterfly - In a gadda da vida (In the Garden of Eden)".

And for the darker beings among us, Blind Guardian and Slayer covered this song also

Last edited by DeadInTheAttic; July 23rd, 2009 at 11:32 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, I know its a work in progress so you might be aiming to fix these already but there's a couple of things that stood out for me. The lack of shadow cast from the snake on to the character makes it look a bit flat especially around the tail area. The other thing is the the underside of the nose seems a bit flat, normally you would expect the columella (bit between the nostrils) to be a bit lower than the nostrils http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6365/externalnose.gif
    hope this helps and looking forward to seeing it progress

Sketchbook

My Website

A daily update on Art, Illustration and Design

DeadInTheAttic Guest

That's it for today

Phew! I hope, till the end of this week it will be done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks good, but i have a slight critique

the snakes body is wrapped around the wrist of the hand holding the apple, but the inside of hte wrist seems to overlap teh snake a bit much....

or perhaps the snakes body on the side of hte wrist is slightly inflated in which case it is making the writs look weird.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    PS

I also liked the blue in the first one on her body. I realize you probably did a hue adjustment of some kind, but, that blue I think really adds something to the narrative of the story...

anyway, good luck

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい! Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,051 Times in 942 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    looking good.
    Don't want to write critic double, most was pointed out already.

One thing that is bugging me is that the apple is very small, it is almost the size of a ping pong ball.

cheers and good luck for the contest

Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

DeadInTheAttic Guest

Thanks so far

The apple should be worth eaten now ^^.
    The wrist is corrected (as far as I can see), the colourtune is still waiting for the end to come. 'cause I will add drops and rain, perhaps it will become desaturated bluish, greyish.

This is just a crop of the whole picture.

Thanks for your critics and comments so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New mood on a classic subject -- I love it. The hand and apple are rendering up great. The face isn't to their level yet, especially around the nose, and the ears feel a bit small and high. Do you have great reference for the hand and mediocre reference for the face? It may be worth your while to create/procure some better face reference, even if you're taking the angle and expression from the first, and the modeling and lighting (and nose) from the second.

The background kinda does nothing for me. If it's Eden, it's got to be incredible and lush, I think, it can't be just generic greenery. But I kinda liked the modern magazine shoot feel of just the blue blur behind her. Maybe it doesn't HAVE to be eden?

Again, that hand is REALLY lovely.

DeadInTheAttic Guest

Up next the face

After those comments I obviously had to tune the face next
    Thanks for your comments.

OK, it's not finished, finetuning at the end (especially the colours). But now I will aim for a more unique background. Though it will be difficult, for I want to show an apple tree on top of the canvas. And the background should not distract. Perhaps I might add a waterfall, a sea or something like that, blurish of course for achieving some depth and less distraction.

The former idea was horizontal, more background, but due to the restrictions of the final image and the standard format for posters I decided to pick a vertical format. The idea was a skyline of mountains (walls of Eden), waterfall becoming icy, leaves becoming golden and falling, fleeing deer and so on (does anybody know the movie "Legend" with Tom Cruise?).

Well! Enough words, here is the pic

DeadInTheAttic Guest

A few days to go

I had no time during the last weekend. But I think, I will manage at least to finish this one.

The most important things are now to be seen herein.

DeadInTheAttic Guest

My final pic

Though I dislike the change in colours from monitor to monitor.

But time to go to sleep now

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.