New here and new at creating concept art!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

New here and new at creating concept art!

So everyone here must be thinking to themselves, "mmm, fresh blood...". Go ahead.

My name is Rachyl, and I am 23. As a child I always had a knack for drawing. I drew realistic birds and other animals at the young age of 5. For some reason, for the next several years, I abandoned this skill. By the time I reached high school, my interest in drawing sparked up again. Only this time I was drawing disfigured anime characters. I started to see a little improvement as time went by, but I once again, abandoned my ability to draw. For several years since high school, I created nothing. Only recently, as in 3-4 months ago, I decided to give something new a whirl, and that was attempt to learn a program that I had always been curious about; Photoshop. I started off making crap like this:

(as embarassing as it is, i'm going to share)

This was the first thing I made in PS...ever.

Somewhere along the line of my production of low quality forum signatures and horrible usage of C4D's, I stumbled upon a site, for the game in development, Apokalypsos. I immediately fell in love with the concept of the game. Sigoya, the leader of this project, released a fan kit containing concept characters and logos/symbols. I decided to make a wallpaper using a cutout of a neutral char with his dog.

I spent the most time I've EVER spent on anything working on this piece. The first 24 hours of it, were all in one sitting. I was so excited to work on it, I did not sleep at all. The piece went through countless critiquing sessions and if it weren't for the man himself, I probably wouldn't have done what I did to make this piece what it is now. This piece has been released on their official website as an official download in the wallpaper section, and is now a part of their story panel.

I again will state that I am horrible at drawing, so I used a stock photo that was taken by my boyfriend, as a base for this piece.

I feel quite honored that Sigoya is giving me the opportunity to bloom as a conceptual artist, and I want to continue to improve.

Incase no one got this from the above wall of text, this is the very first time I've ever tried to do a piece like this, ever.

Last edited by ZonariAn; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:03 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hi and welcome to Concept art!

Congratulations on getting your wallpaper selected.

I eventually gave up waiting for the big 3.5 MB image to display. You might get more feedback if you post a version that's under 1000 pixels wide and optimized for web viewing.

keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PsiBug View Post
    Hi and welcome to Concept art!

Congratulations on getting your wallpaper selected.

I eventually gave up waiting for the big 3.5 MB image to display. You might get more feedback if you post a version that's under 1000 pixels wide and optimized for web viewing.

keep up the good work.
    Sorry about that......alright I will....but I can't say that anyone else had this problem because my entire thread still only has 2 views. Fixed.

Last edited by ZonariAn; July 22nd, 2009 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    The picture does look bad ass, like something out of RE or silent hill. I do have a suggestion for you though. With the next image that you do, try finding another picture that has the same contours that you want to use, and try doing some blind contour drawings of it, in other words, take a piece of paper or on photoshop if you have a tablet, and only look at the picture your using for reference and not the one that you are drawing. Do this until you finish the drawing then look at it to see how close you got to the original, and keep doing this until it looks basically the same as the original. Then draw it while looking at both and it will come allot more naturally to you. Doing this puts all of you focus on the movements of your hand, but try to limit how long each time it takes you by 10 minutes or so. If you need more help with anything you can go ahead and PM me.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackball21 View Post
    The picture does look bad ass, like something out of RE or silent hill. I do have a suggestion for you though. With the next image that you do, try finding another picture that has the same contours that you want to use, and try doing some blind contour drawings of it, in other words, take a piece of paper or on photoshop if you have a tablet, and only look at the picture your using for reference and not the one that you are drawing. Do this until you finish the drawing then look at it to see how close you got to the original, and keep doing this until it looks basically the same as the original. Then draw it while looking at both and it will come allot more naturally to you. Doing this puts all of you focus on the movements of your hand, but try to limit how long each time it takes you by 10 minutes or so. If you need more help with anything you can go ahead and PM me.
    I don't quite get what you mean, about having contours that I want to use... I definitely don't have a tablet, although I'd love to own one. But alas I really really really suck at drawing. Plus I'm still unsure of what exactly it is you're suggesting I draw. Is it some concept art no-no to use stock photos?? Even if they are original to the artist?

Edit: no offense, but I joined this site to be amongst the pros, and to have said pros critique me to help me move along. I'm not trying to rag on you, I'm just wondering why only 2 people have replied to this and both are fairly new members.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ZonariAn View Post
    Edit: no offense, but I joined this site to be amongst the pros, and to have said pros critique me to help me move along. I'm not trying to rag on you, I'm just wondering why only 2 people have replied to this and both are fairly new members.
    Hi again. I've been registered for about a year and a half, actually. There are a number of steps you can take to receive more feedback. Some of these may not apply specifically to you but they are general guidelines that may help you (or other new members).

1) Read the guides and FAQs that are stickied at the top of most of the folders in this forums. You can find out how to make a thumbnail show up for your thread and you may learn some other tricks that will draw more attention to your post.

2) Use a thumbnail and make your thread title brief and informative. like "Apokolypsos Wallpaper" or "please crit my game art"

3) keep your opening post brief and on topic. Post one image for critique. posting the reference photo is cool too. If you cover multiple topics, readers may lose interest or feel that the answers become too complicated.

4) size your image for web viewing embed the image in the post. Some people do not want to follow links. refer to the guides if you are not sure how.

5) when you receive feedback, if your reply seems to devalue the feedback then other people may be reluctant to offer you feedback.

......alright I will....but I can't say that anyone else had this problem because my entire thread still only has 2 views. Fixed.
    I'm not trying to rag on you, I'm just wondering why only 2 people have replied to this and both are fairly new members.
    6) Avoid doing this:
    I really really really suck at drawing.
    In a forum where drawing is a primary focus, this kind of negativity is unproductive.

7) The more specific your question, the more likely you will be to receive an answer. Phrases like "draw-overs are welcome!" "any color suggestions?" How do I make my layout more interesting?" "please identify some strengths and weaknesses in this composition." can promote feedback.

8 ) Participate in other threads. Offer feedback. We see plenty of new accounts that post once or twice and then disappear forever. This community is about you helping others as much as it is about others helping you.

Regarding the wallpaper. The blood on the alley floor is a nice strong element. The guy might be better turned slightly so he isn't standing/walking directly at the camera. His walking pose could be made more dynamic and believable. The pose of the dog could be less cheerful. You can see the lines of the cinderblock wall through the poster. The source photo has a lot of nice crisp dirty detail that has been covered up or blurred in the composite. Less blurring would make the finished piece look more professional.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by PsiBug; July 23rd, 2009 at 12:04 PM.

Thanks
    What i was saying, is to take a picture of something that you want to draw, it really doesnt matter what it is, and take a blank piece of paper and draw it without looking at the drawing your making, only look at the reference and this will help you get your drawing skills better.

Does my account being new really have anything to do with my skill level, i dont think so. A fairly large portion of the people on CA are amatuers, not that that is a bad thing, we all started there at one point or another. As far as my skills are concerned i am not an amatuer artist, i have been drawing and painting for the past 15 years, and to think that every pro has had their account for years already is somewhat foolish. Everyone needs help with something every once in a while, even me. If you still need help let me know, that is why i am on here.

Thanks
    Sorry, I guess I did approach this the wrong way...

About the guy walking...I actually used a previously drawn concept character for that game, and used it in this piece.

As for the thumbnail I tried but I would have had to dramatically reduce the size of my piece to fit the KB limit, which I felt to not have been enough, especially for a JPEG.

I'm sorry that I wrote too much in my initial post, it was my first one and wanted to introduce myself along with the piece.

I'll try better next time. I've always been socially awkward and it's hard sometimes to do this right.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.