Perspective Question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective Question

Hey guys, I'm working on a little transformer for Industrial Design of the Week. He transforms into a circular saw (hopefully that's evident!). Anyway, my perspective is kind of all over the place. I've fixed some of the most glaring problems, but I'm getting confused with all these boxes and curves flying in every direction. Does anyone see any perspective problems here? I don't want to hide them behind a cartooned style. If any other crits seem appropriate here, please have at it! Thanks!

EDIT: Worked it over a little more, I've posted the new version alongside the old

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by waffleKoan; July 22nd, 2009 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Changed image
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 752 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm no perspective-master, but visually most of it is working. The only thing that isn't is (arguably) the most important part: the saw. Your ellipses aren't quite right.

Keep at it!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noah Bradley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The left heel isn't lined up with the left toe. The relationship between the top and bottom of the hip is skewed the wrong way. The prongs of the plug fan out too much, and there doesn't seem to be enough room on the back of the plug head for the wire to be centered.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Noah Bradley - ha, I'm no perspective master either, that's why I'm here! You're right about the saw, that's been giving me all kinds of trouble. I think constructing it inside a square is going to be the solution. Thanks!

Hexokinase - Perfect! I'll jam on those areas a little bit, thanks for pointing them out!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One thing that I think is a bit out is the leg nearest us, but it'd depend on whether or not he's got a ball joint type hip or not, because right now it is not pointing directly in front of him but at a slight angle towards us. Also, the knees seem kind of wonky. The horizontal lineson the knee-end of the femurs should be horizontal with the top part of the shin lines. The far leg is more out than the near leg. Hope that helps!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ScaryPotato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ScaryPotato - Thanks, that does help! I jimmied the legs around a little bit, hopefully it looks solid.

I updated the OP with all the changes, thanks a lot CA!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The only thing I see is the knee design, both of them are different. Besides that I don't see anything blatantly obvious. Don't overwork it too much, as we tend to do that in the epic quest to get everything right.

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

11. The Following User Says Thank You to sanakris For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.