wow, traffic court was easy

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wow, traffic court was easy

For the past few weeks I've been stressing out about having to go to traffic court for not having had my car insurance card with me when pulled over. I have never had to go to court of any type before and was honestly scared out of my mind of being put in front of a judge and all that. I mean, it was one of those things where I was really freaked out and just trying to function without people noticing me being out of whack. I went in, dressed in nice slacks, a very good collared shirt, tie, dress shoes, just hoping that the police and the judge and other people there don't think that I'm not taking the situation seriously...

As it turns out I just had to show my insurance card to the clerk at the front desk, they did some paperwork, and I was good to go without anything against my record.

Wow I feel stupid now.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My understanding is that it's not actually illegal to drive without proof of insurance on you. It's just your responsibility to prove that you do, in fact, have insurance if pulled over.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah I've gotten a ticket for not having insurance too. It's like $250 fine if you don't have it. Forgetting to carry it with you is such a common mistake that it'd kinda be a waste of the judges time for him to hear every excuse as to why the individual didn't have their insurance on them that day, especially once it's become apparent that they actually have insurance

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wait till you get Jury duty, now that's a boring way to spend an indefinite amount of time in a non air conditioned waiting room..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    Wait till you get Jury duty, now that's a boring way to spend an indefinite amount of time in a non air conditioned waiting room..
    I've had that before. Sure its boring, but you aren't sitting around scared that you are going to get something bad on your record or have your driving license taken away.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I got lucky and our prosecutor called rubbish witnesses, case abandoned quickly, if it had been a tax fraud or something I might have been there for months.

And I wouldn't have found out until 5:30pm the day before..

Jury duty is a giant pain in the tits over here..

Edit: if your licence got nabbed, you probably aren't ever getting hauled in for jury duty., Swings and Roundabouts.

Last edited by Flake; July 20th, 2009 at 11:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kept the licence, and I'm fine with Jury duty: civic responsibility and all that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hope the status line under your name is true...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Troubadour View Post
    i hope the status line under your name is true...
    It is. Honestly. Actually, I really need to work on my internet etiquette becuase irl I'm one of the nicest guys you could meet. (although still waaaaaay too talkative.)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Coene For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I loved my jury duty experience. It was fascinating to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My jury duty experience sucked. It was years ago when I was like 13 so it was technically teen court and I had to do it as part of my punishment when I got arrested, along with 60 community service hours (long story). Anyway there was like jurys 1-6, one would hear a case, then the next one would go etc. I was on jury 4, and yes it took the whole damn night, especially since these 2 girls in my row just HAD to fucking talk and giggle all the time, which pissed off the judge and got our row moved back to row 6. I got there at 6PM and left at 11PM, it was so late that the judge just told everyone to go home, they never even got to our jury

Man I have ADHD too bad to sit there in that uncomfortable court room for hours, I would rather give myself a paper cut across my pee hole than do that again

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    My jury duty experience sucked. It was years ago when I was like 13 so it was technically teen court and I had to do it as part of my punishment when I got arrested, along with 60 community service hours (long story). Anyway there was like jurys 1-6, one would hear a case, then the next one would go etc. I was on jury 4, and yes it took the whole damn night, especially since these 2 girls in my row just HAD to fucking talk and giggle all the time, which pissed off the judge and got our row moved back to row 6. I got there at 6PM and left at 11PM, it was so late that the judge just told everyone to go home, they never even got to our jury

Man I have ADHD too bad to sit there in that uncomfortable court room for hours, I would rather give myself a paper cut across my pee hole than do that again
    I was a lawyer for one of those things for a while. I realised I didn't like it because when I was the defending lawyer it was too easy to get kids out of trouble with just a slap on the wrist when they really deserved to be punished somehow, and if I was the prosecuter I felt bad that I was trying to make sure that the worst thing that could happen to someone would happen and trying to make them look bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You would have gotten the same result in CA, though you might have had to pay a $10 dismissal fee. Drivers license not on you, license plate violations, equipment needing repairs (including illegal window tinting) all can also be cleared up by fixing the problem and bringing in the correct paperwork to show the judge (at least in CA).

I work regularly as a traffic court judge pro tem and when I can see that somebody can fix their problem by just showing me a paper that they forgot to bring, I will grant a thirty day continuance and tell them to bring in their paperwork the next time.

Judges and clerks drive too, and they are usually as human as the next person. They just need to see concrete evidence that everything is hunky dory. Always take your paperwork in with you and fix what can be fixed.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Coene View Post
    I was a lawyer for one of those things for a while. I realised I didn't like it because when I was the defending lawyer it was too easy to get kids out of trouble with just a slap on the wrist when they really deserved to be punished somehow, and if I was the prosecuter I felt bad that I was trying to make sure that the worst thing that could happen to someone would happen and trying to make them look bad.
    I know what ya mean. When dealing with teenagers it's kinda hard to find out who's the kid who just maybe went too far when having fun and which one's the bastard kid with an attitude.

When it was my turn to be prosecuted, I took the blame for everything (since it was my idea) and it turned out that the jury and even the girl prosecuting me wanted to go easy on me and give me a reduced sentence. My friend Beren on the other hand, laughed while on trial. That didn't go over so well haha

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Edge Ryan View Post
    I know what ya mean. When dealing with teenagers it's kinda hard to find out who's the kid who just maybe went too far when having fun and which one's the bastard kid with an attitude.
    Well, when it really hit home for me was when I was the prosecuter and realised that the file I had was for someone I knew. Honestly, I didn't like her (I thought she was a stuck up bitch), but I realised that I was holding confidential legal info on her and the fact that I knew her hit home that I was dealing with reality, and at 16 that was a responcibility I didn't want to deal with. I quit and afterwards stopped enteraining any notion of the idea that I might be a lawyer some day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know about most states but in Georgia they can actually look up your insurance from your license plate.

I had a court date for one of my head lights being dim, I went to the first court date and said I wasn't guilty, so they gave me another court date and I was supposed to go back...never did. I was told that I probably had a warrant out for not going to court, but I've been pulled over since then and nothing has happened.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HugeHarHar View Post
    I don't know about most states but in Georgia they can actually look up your insurance from your license plate.

I had a court date for one of my head lights being dim, I went to the first court date and said I wasn't guilty, so they gave me another court date and I was supposed to go back...never did. I was told that I probably had a warrant out for not going to court, but I've been pulled over since then and nothing has happened.
    ...I'm guessing they decided not to deal with it. Or else they just automatically found you guilty when you didn't show and you owe you local govt money or something.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.