True or False (Lighting and colour) (12/25/09 Post #9: New question)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Here I go again...

In this Briggs post, assuming white main light and white ambience/secondary light, brightness is the only aspect that changes while hue and saturation stays the same in the shading series.

True or False (Lighting and colour) (12/25/09 Post #9: New question) (diagram by Briggs)

Taking a look at this picture:

True or false...

The diffuse reflected regions where the presumably white sunlight hits are more desaturated (going towards white) than the shadowed areas only because sunlight is incredibly strong. This makes it a special exception to what Briggs stated in the post. This does not apply to weaker lights, most notably artificial light.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Alex Chow; December 25th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Constant saturation holds true in the real world, but a photograph doesn't show real life perfectly. It lacks the dynamic range to show colors that bright, so it just shows up as white. It has more to do with the exposure of the photo than how light works in life. Basically, your statement is true for photos.

Pigments have the same limitation, so if you were painting this scene from life, you would somehow have to solve this problem to give an illusion of brightness.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to plundh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 16,670 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    As Zvuv said, those lights are only blown out because of the limitations of photography.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That makes sense. I've always wondered why some artists (digital) paint it the "photograph" way and some with more constant saturations.

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,004 Times in 654 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Color theory is only there to help, you're not a slave to it.

If it looks good, it looks good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by HunterKiller_ View Post
    Color theory is only there to help, you're not a slave to it.

If it looks good, it looks good.
    Better to know colour theory and "break the rules" than "breaking the rules" and not knowing why I did something other than noticing other artists doing it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the material. If the sphere was - bizarrely - made of flesh and skin you could expect enhanced saturation around the terminator, due to subsurface scattering where the light emerges through the skin. Similar to if you shine a torch behind your closed fingers.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Impossible For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I asked exactly the same question. haha

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy@ashtons View Post
    Well, for a start the rule only applies to the underlying diffuse reflection; in various parts of the lit areas this colour will be modified by specular reflections of the light source (the highlight) and of the environment; for strongly coloured objects in most natural lighting situations the effect of these additions will mostly be to locally desaturate the colour. (Another complicating factor is multiple reflection, which can boost the saturation locally both in the shadows and in the lights).

Secondly, there are a couple of good reasons why just picking colours from photos can give the wrong impression of what is actually happening:
    1. Colour noise tends to be greater in the darker areas of an image - try sampling from a larger set of pixels or blurring the image to get a more realistic measure of shadow saturation.
    2. Any overexposure of the lights will result in artificially low saturation. Once one of the R,G or B components of a colour reaches 255 there is nowhere higher for it to go, and further exposure just adds more of the other two components, resulting in desaturation. Even in an apparently well exposed photograph some individual colours can easily reach this limit and so be "clipped" and artificially desaturated. This is true of any colours in the photo with brightness (B) = 100.

A uniform saturation series is just as series of colours in which the R/G/B ratio stays the same and only the brightness changes. It's hard to argue with the idea that this is basically going to work as a series of image colours representing a surface of one colour reflecting different amounts of light.

Anyway, I'm really glad you like the site. As far as making colour difficult goes, whenever a student tells me I'm doing this I take out my copy of Colour Science by Wyszecki and Styles to show them what some real writing on colour looks like!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron Death For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figured it was best to necro my own thread rather than to create a new one.

Does anybody have any pictures which utilizes exposure (artificially desaturating high-end values on the lights) effectively? This could be photographs or artwork, preferably with a figure. I know Anime-styled colouring does this a lot but I'm not so sure I can learn from that...

I've been trying to "break the rules" but I haven't been able to do it without making it look really wrong.

If I find anything, I'll post it here too. That said, Google isn't bringing up useful pictures.

EDIT: Here's something to get started: True or False (Lighting and colour) (12/25/09 Post #9: New question)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrm, as far as paintings go you may want to look at the work of artists from around the advent of photography. The first image I thought of was Olympia by Manet, he seemed quite fascinated by the effect of the direct lighting from photography at the time which lent towards very washed out lights.

-My work can be found at my local directory thread.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Anid Maro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Velazquez has similar effects in some of his paintings (or at least his reproductions). Im quite fond of the effect myself, it gives a certain drama. It's basically a strong full-light + higher chroma midtone.
    It's not really a photographic effect pur-sang tough.

The last one looks pretty overblown by the camera tough, but the effect is there.

Caravaggio also has pretty heavy chiaroscuro...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to PieterV For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I thought of this post by James Gurney:

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...and-glare.html

I will try to refrain from saying that this link might shed a little light on the problem.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpian View Post
    I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but I thought of this post by James Gurney:

http://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/20...and-glare.html

I will try to refrain from saying that this link might shed a little light on the problem.
    That's actually what I meant. In fact, I didn't know the eye temporarily creates this effect in strong sunlight. I thought only photographs would show the glare. Thanks!

I'll check out Manet. Good call.

As some people have stated in my Ambient Light thread, though, it's hard to tell if Velasquez intended the colours to be that way because these are reproductions. Maybe he did... maybe he didn't but I'm not so sure if I want to refer to those (for purposes of this topic) because it may not have been Velasquez's intentions (of course, if anybody has any info to shed light on this, I'll be happy to read it). Thanks for the recommendation, though. He's an awesome artist regardless. Caravaggio as well, though I think he's a safer bet since he's just a madman for contrast.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,384 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Zorn uses this lighting situation all the time. I think impresionist painters use it more because they are trying to get that sense of light and they use the shadows and reflected light as the focus and let the lights go allot of time.

Attached Images Attached Images  

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.