Sketchbook: Trisscar's Sketchbook - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Thread: Trisscar's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of a few requests from my friend legendbourne on DeviantArt. This is the Karu-Lim Grunt, an armoured ninja. Legendbourne wanted an undead/demon design to the Grunt's armour and mask, so of course the first thing that popped into my head was Japanese culture.
    Name:  Karu-Lim-Grunt-Development-.jpg
Views: 2278
Size:  534.5 KB
    I reckoned that the Grunt couldn't wear too much armour, otherwise he wouldn't be able to be as acrobatic as a ninja should be. Plus, it would be really crap if he were sneaking up on a target only to be given away by a sudden 'CLANK!'

The last sketch was supposed to be the generic fold-arms-and-look-menacing pose, but now that I look at it, the Grunt looks as if he's just cold.

If the text is too small to see, a bigger file exists here: http://sagaxus.deviantart.com/art/Ka...ment-257502796

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had decided to take part in a contest over on Fanart Central titled Dance the Night Away, where all you had to do was to draw your favourite characters dancing (derp).

I chose to draw Tiria and Claude, wearing the posh attire in Oblivion.
    Name:  Claude and Tiria Dance pencils.jpg
Views: 2359
Size:  159.4 KB

A friend pointed out that Claude looked as if he was twisting Tiria's wrist painfully rather than gently holding her hand, so I redrew it several times in order to try and fix it.
    Name:  Claude and Tiria Dance.jpg
Views: 2065
Size:  343.3 KB
    Not exactly perfect, but handses are hard Moan, moan, whinge, whine. And unfortunately I didn't have time to include a decent background. It seemed like everything and everyone was out to try and stop me finishing this in time for the contest deadline! So much so I had to request an extension. Chores would suddenly pop up, errands demanded to be run, and computer-illiterate parents wanted to use my computer. FFFFFFFFF.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Trisscar,
    looks like you've made some progress
    As for the last picture, I suggest to make Claude's hands bigger (especially his left hand) You could practice some poses from posemaniacs, the 30 second drawing tool (or 60 or 90 seconds) is great for quickly sketching human bodies, both male and female, in all kinds of stances. This should help you understand the human form easier. I'm practicing with it, and it seems to work, slowly

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Harmageddon

Name:  Gene-Sketchdump-smaller.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  517.9 KB

A couple of sketches of Gene the Hackman from the 2000AD story, Kingdom.

I've been feeling somewhat down recently because of my lack of success in my job search, and I just hadn't been inspired to draw anything. I'm trying to get myself back into a routine, starting off with a bit of copy work for fun.

I actually drew these on a big scrap of wallpaper that I had been using to help me with a bit of perspective work. The one on the left is from the Call of the Wild story arc, and was inked with pen. The ink went a bit spidery as I worked, though. The one on the right is from the Promised Land story arc, and is just pencil cleaned up in Photoshop.

Gene is (c) of Dan Abnett and Richard Elson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is for a birthday card for one of my Mum's friends.
    Name:  Rose.jpg
Views: 19280
Size:  297.6 KB
    I thought it would be good to do a tonal study of this rose before I go on to colour it. I won't lie, I had to copy from a Google image since I'm not good at drawing roses from memory http://www.justourpictures.com/roses...dayredrose.jpg

Pen + Pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WIP of the rose being coloured.
    Name:  Rose Colour WIP.jpg
Views: 1943
Size:  242.7 KB
    I didn't want to use black for the shading because I thought it would look a bit muddy.

Goddammit, it looks a lot smoother in real life than it does after being scanned, honest!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Second progress shot of the rose.
    Name:  Rose Colour WIP 2.jpg
Views: 1859
Size:  253.3 KB
    I wish my scanner had a neck, so I could strangle it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A small clump of sketches from my moleskine. I recently bought a nice new scanner since my old one refused to communicate with my new computer. So I'm still trying to become friends with my new scanner

I work as a volunteer at my church's tearoom and I tried using the opportunity to sketch some of the folk enjoying a cuppa tea. But then I got a bit frustrated by them moving about so much and drew Bitey instead.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1633
Size:  184.5 KB

More Bitey and some gorilla-like beastie.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-3.jpg
Views: 1614
Size:  324.4 KB

The sketch on the right was the workings for a competition piece over on DeviantArt, where you had to depict the forest planet of Brackenwood in Autumn, but that particular contest flopped due to lack of participants.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-4.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  304.2 KB

Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-5.jpg
Views: 1551
Size:  176.3 KB

Sketch of the canteen of a certain charity shop, where I also work as a volunteer. Voluntary work seems to be all I can get right now.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-6.jpg
Views: 1546
Size:  513.9 KB

My jacket.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-7.jpg
Views: 1498
Size:  151.4 KB

My favourite gargoyle, Lexington. This was copied from the episode Thrill of the Hunt.
    Name:  Lexington-Sketch-small.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  103.2 KB

Coloured in Photoshop.
    Name:  Lexington-Sketch colour-small.jpg
Views: 1793
Size:  93.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some sketches of Francoeur from A Monster in Paris. I screwed up on his outfit because I thought he was wearing a belt ^^'

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cafe at a Debenhams store. I was waiting for my Mum coming out of the changing rooms and tried sketching out the place. There were loads of people there, but some of them kept glancing at me and made me feel uncomfortable about including them in the sketch. This is all I could manage before I had to leave the store.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-8.jpg
Views: 1484
Size:  235.3 KB

The interior of my friends' car. Did this while she popped into the shops for a bunch of flowers.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-9.jpg
Views: 1390
Size:  202.9 KB

My cousins' old bedroom. Did this while I was staying over for my eldest cousin's wedding on Saturday. I think I might take this one further, redrawing it and improving the perspective. I can't eyeball objects in perspective very well.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-10.jpg
Views: 1388
Size:  238.3 KB

Did this one today at a Waterstones cafe. I'm still a bit uncomfortable about sketching people in case they catch me in the act. I couldn't finish it before they finished their coffee and left. Spent too long on the man's trouser-crease.
    Name:  Moleskin-Sketches-11.jpg
Views: 1342
Size:  271.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I decided to re-draw the Ezra picture back in post 148.
    Name:  Ezra-2.jpg
Views: 1380
Size:  155.4 KB
    I did some leg-stretching and did the pose myself, but the foreshortening for that leg was still pretty tricky. Legendbourne told me that Ezra is a bit of a chunky character (ain't afraid to say he's fat!), so I've beefed him up a bit too. Also need to practice drawing hair more!

The old picture, to compare and contrast.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=148

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of cartoon sketchdumps, drawn for fun, copied from two different films.

Freddie the frog, from Freddie as F.R.O.7. I know it's a stupid film, but I like Freddie's character design.
    Name:  Freddie-Sketchdump-2.jpg
Views: 1818
Size:  292.4 KB

two of the main characters from French film A Monkey's Tale, which I was pleased to find that it'd been uploaded on YouTube. It's not the best film ever, but worth a look, I reckon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8_P4iTRJU0 The audio is a bit dodgy though, so mind your volume!
    Name:  Monkey's-Tale-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1661
Size:  535.2 KB
    The younger monkey at the top is Kom, a curious, irrepressible little show-off. The monkey below is his more sensible older brother, Gavin. They're both members of the tree-top dwelling Woonko tribe of monkeys, who fear that they'll fall into the hands of demons if they ever fall from the trees.

During the Royal Jubilee week, my manager came up with an interesting gimmick and asked me to act as an "indoor street artist" for the shop. I sat at a table near the front entrance of the shop and did my drawings, in the hope that people would take an interest and put a little donation in the tin on my table. My manager also thought it would be a good opportunity for me to show off my work. It was a nice idea, but failed spectacularly. I barely made any money, and one cheeky little brat came up to me, held a coin in front of my face and said 'If I give you 2p, will you draw something for me?' Yeah, I'll draw you my middle finger. It wasn't so much the question but the impudent way the kid asked it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More cartoony fun with Gargoyles! My initial plan was to create a massive sketchdump featuring several small drawings of the main cast, but then I realised it would be way too big, so I'm putting each individual character in his or her own dump instead.

Name:  Goliath-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  434.7 KB

Name:  Lexington-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1543
Size:  316.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some Perspective practice, using exercises from Jason Cheeseman-Meyer's Vanishing Point.

Name:  Diagonal-Vanishing-Point-2.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  180.9 KB
    Name:  Diagonal-Vanishing-Point-3.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  104.2 KB
    Name:  Diagonal Vanishing Point 1.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  216.4 KB
    Name:  Two-Point-Perspective.jpg
Views: 1138
Size:  26.4 KB
    Name:  Two-Point-Perspective-2.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.7 KB
    Name:  Two-Point-Perspective-3.jpg
Views: 1146
Size:  93.0 KB
    Name:  Diagonal-Vanishing-Point-4.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  75.9 KB
    Name:  Diagonal-Vanishing-Point-5.jpg
Views: 1094
Size:  140.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agh, I hope I can get used to posting with this new layout!

More Gargoyles!

Name:  Brooklyn-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1360
Size:  349.2 KB

Name:  Broadway-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  321.7 KB

I recently entered a contest on DeviantArt on the GargoylesAquatic group, where you were asked to design a leader for the Loch Ness Clan. The rules were that the gargoyle must have a dolphins's tail, manta ray-like wings, and not be like a mer-goyle (sushi on the bottom). I'm pleased to say my design won

The initial development.
    Name:  Gargoyles-Development-Full.jpg
Views: 1016
Size:  489.0 KB
    Colour swatches.
    Name:  Gargoyle-Swatches.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  444.5 KB
    The final image.
    Name:  Gargoyles-Contest.jpg
Views: 1000
Size:  160.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And now for some actual studies from Posemaniacs.
    Name:  Study-1.jpg
Views: 970
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  Study-2.jpg
Views: 964
Size:  48.7 KB
    Name:  Study-3.jpg
Views: 967
Size:  37.7 KB

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good Triss Liking the gargoyle character development - you seem to be really improving when working on your own characters. Feeling looser and more believable structure to the anatomy. Keep it up!

Oh and nice job on the perspective studies! cool B)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks The7Artist7

I've seen the movie Skyfall twice now and I absolutely love the character Raoul Silva. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing it a third time! I did some sketches of him using screenshots from Google as reference, but I made his nose too long in the first sketch. Oops.
    Name:  Silva-Sketches-2.jpg
Views: 1033
Size:  157.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A few nonsensicals.

Gor the Gorilla from Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys.
    Name:  Gor-Sketch-small.jpg
Views: 946
Size:  79.5 KB

HoroHoro from Shaman King
    Name:  HoroHoro.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  206.6 KBName:  HoroHoro-Coloured.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  288.5 KB

A few drawings of Legendbourne's character, Ezra (http://legendbourne.deviantart.com/)
    Name:  Ezra-WIP.jpg
Views: 668
Size:  82.9 KBName:  Ezra-3.jpg
Views: 650
Size:  96.2 KB

And then I turned him into a gargoyle, just for fun
    Name:  Gargoyle-Ezra.jpg
Views: 666
Size:  174.8 KB

And now another tonal study of the human skull, copied from Grey's Anatomy. I'd actually started this months ago but kept putting it off. I've a really bad habit of doing that with my drawings, so one of my new year resolutions is to finish what I've started.
    Name:  Skull-Face-9-Final.jpg
Views: 991
Size:  303.5 KB

And here's a little progress "comic" of my study.
    Name:  Skull-Progress.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  339.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, to start I absolutely adore gargoyles!! and Lexington was my favorite too!!!
    As I was going through your sketchbook, I would think of a critic and the next post was always exactly what I would have suggested. lol . I was like hmmm maybe perspective- then a bunch of perspective studies popped up- then, I thought maybe some skull studies- and there they are.
    So - you're pretty much doing exactly what I would have suggested, and I have no useful comments other than to geek out about the gargoyle drawings- which are on model and pretty solid- so carry on

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Rhubix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much, Rhubix

This is a little personal project I felt like doing. Sort of inspired by the Draw-This-Again meme On DeviantArt, I took an old drawing I did of Sheik from Ocarina of Time and re-drew it using only the old picture as a reference, and my own two hands =P. When I did that, I drew Sheik again but copying from official game art to see where I made mistakes. And I made a few -_-' My first re-draw is too bulky, the insignia is too big, screwed up the mask and the eyes are a bit derpy. D'oh!

I can't actually remember when I drew the first drawing. I had such a terrible habit of not writing the date on my pictures when I was a kid, but I think I drew it when I was 13 or 14, so it would either be late 90s or early 2000s.

Pencil, Pen + Photoshop
    Name:  Sheik-Comparisons.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  463.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good grief, it's been ages. And I see ConceptArt has changed again!

I had sketched this while on my lunchbreak at work and reading a Spider-Man comic. I was originally going to keep this as a simple line sketch, but then I just had to try inking his face and it grew from there.
    Name:  Vermin.jpg
Views: 383
Size:  200.0 KB

More Gargoyles!
    Name:  Bronx-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 529
Size:  266.1 KB

Name:  Elisa-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  256.4 KB

Name:  Hudson-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  333.0 KB

And this one is a points commission I did for my friend VampiraLady (http://vampiralady.deviantart.com/). I know most folk think points are a daft idea over on DeviantArt, but I'm treating this as if I were earning real money, and pushing myself to do the best I can with these commissions.
    Name:  Vampiralady-Commission.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  422.5 KB

Last edited by Trisscar; April 24th, 2013 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling and spacing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    <_<
    >_>

Well, this is all new....

My work had been suffering quite a bit in the last year, not to mention my own happiness. I'm stuck working in a charity shop for the time being, and I tried to go back to college last year in a somewhat desperate bid to escape it. My interview was disastrous. Besides being late, the tutor was not at all impressed by my work, refused to look at my digital drawings and, because I included ONE manga-type drawing in my portfolio, assumed that all I was interested in was drawing manga. F**k. Me. He also told me that my work wasn't art school material. I'm not trying to get into art school because I know fine well my work isn't good enough for that, but still, to hear somebody say it... ouch.

I was just really down for such a long time, hardly doing any artwork and making really slow progress on my point commissions. Thoughts of 'What's the point? I'll never be good enough; nobody notices my work anyway' were constantly whirling through my head, especially when I looked at other people's work that's a million times better. I looked at them and thought 'I'll never be able to do that. Why even bother?' It wasn't until nearing the end of the year that I was really honest with myself when I thought 'Am I really putting enough effort into my drawings? Did I really study and try hard?' Not really.

So this year, I'm going to try harder and be more in love with art. Sitting doing nothing will get me nowhere fast, and now when I look at a brilliant piece of work, I try to think 'I could do this too, but it'll take time.'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now with that out of the way, onwards ever onwards. The following are actually from last year

Development of my previous aquatic gargoyle whom I dubbed Ulbhag (I think it means "wave" if I've got the Gaelic translation correct?) This is how he would have looked if I weren't restricted by the contest rules.
    Name:  Ulbhag-Sketches.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  201.2 KB

Commission for my friend CrystalSabre on DeviantArt (http://crystalsabre.deviantart.com/). She asked me to draw the character Retsu Fukami from Juken Sentai Gekiranger.
    Name:  Crystalsabre-Commission.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  165.3 KB

Commission for ItsLudar (http://itsludar.deviantart.com/) who asked me to draw Gavin from A Monkey's Tale not being as sensible as he usually is.
    Name:  ItsLudar-Commission.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  110.4 KB

Just-for-fun drawing of Lexington.
    Name:  Lexington-Coloured-Pencil.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  311.2 KB

Quick sketches of Redwall mice.
    Name:  Redwall-Mice-Sketches.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  248.9 KB

I'd received copic markers for my birthday last year but took ages in getting around to actually using them. This was copied from the front cover of the Oracle of Seasons manga.
    Name:  Marker-Practice.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  178.8 KB

Also last year, I'd entered E4's latest ESting competition. I didn't win anything, but it was still fun to do. This is my preview picture for it:
    Name:  Preview-pic.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  143.3 KB
    And here is the animation itself:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dow9J8_HKlk

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a bit unsure how many images I can upload on this at one time, it's been so long since I last updated.

Commission for Moony-moo (http://moony-moo.deviantart.com/)
    Name:  Moony-moo-Commission.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  194.0 KB

And a gift for her.
    Name:  Moonymoo-Gift.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  114.4 KB

Commission for Art Beta (http://artbeta.deviantart.com/)
    Name:  ArtBeta-Commission-Finished.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  266.9 KB

And a gift for her, turning her character Steve the werewolf into a beast wolf (playing an invisible piano )
    Name:  Artbeta-Gift.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  167.2 KB

A lot more sketching went into this next commission for kdjr4402 (http://kdrj4402.deviantart.com/). He'd asked so many people to draw his characters and all he seems to have are doll-generated images of them, so I put my own spin on his characters.
    They're a bit like the Teenage Mutant Ninja Furries and consist of a sword-wielding lynx, a sai dagger-brandishing racoon and a kickboxing rabbit. I was concerned that I made the rabbit more like a kangaroo!
    Name:  kdrj4402-Commission-WIP-1.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  408.2 KB

After kdjr4402 gave his approval, I went on to the main image:
    Name:  kdrj4402-Commission-WIP-3.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  150.8 KB

And finally coloured it all in.
    Name:  kdrj4402-Commission.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  221.9 KB

And I also drew him a gift as an apology for making him wait so long.
    Name:  kdrj4402-Gift.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  175.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This commission was for JollyInLove on DeviantArt (http://jollyinlove.deviantart.com/), and she asked me to draw the character Janus Lee from A.T.O.M sitting in a car. I've never been confident with machinery, so this was quite a challenge for me. Jolly didn't specify what sort of car she wanted, so lucky for me that my brother and Dad had some model cars kicking about. The one I chose was a ferrari.

A quick sketch of the model to start off with.
    Name:  Car.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  103.9 KB

Starting to draw the car properly.
    Name:  JollyInLove-Commish-WIP-1.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  228.3 KB

Name:  JollyInLove-Commish-WIP-2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  228.7 KB

Taking the image into photoshop to draw the character. I always draw the head too friggin' big.
    Name:  JollyInLove-Commish-Wip-1.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  92.5 KB

Inking finished.
    Name:  JollyInLove-Commish-Wip-2-S.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  162.9 KB

Commission finished. I used Lizkay's gradient painting tutorial (http://lizkay.deviantart.com/art/Gra...ial-2-97256669) to learn how to paint the metal body. Haven't quite pulled it off, though. Still need to practice.
    Name:  JollyInLove-Commish-Final-S.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  294.7 KB
    On a completely different note, after I submitted this and Jolly saw it, as happy as she was, she asked me to upload the original file size. The original is a whopping 2.41MB! But hey, gotta give the customer what she wants, and she was very happy when I uploaded it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of fun drawings.

Cyndaquil, drawn using various Google references.
    Name:  Cyndaquil-Sketches.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  119.6 KB

Young Goku, copied from Dragonball volume 7.
    Name:  Goku.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  111.1 KB

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Members who have read this thread: 4