Sketchbook: Trisscar's Sketchbook - Page 6
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Trisscar's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't really any more accurate than the last one, but at least I got it all on the page this time. When I started sketching out this one, I didn't realise that I had started too low on the page until I got right down to the toes. So I transferred the lot onto tracing paper and shifted it higher up the page.

Name:  Skeleton-Diagram.jpg
Views: 4940
Size:  120.3 KB

Also, molskein sketches! On the left page are sketches of a lich from the Elderscrolls Oblivion, the other is failed observation. I was at a seafood restaurant with my Mum on Thursday and I tried to draw part of the table next to us. I didn't do very well. The plate, cutlery and glasses are too close together.

Name:  Moleskein-Sketches.jpg
Views: 2933
Size:  167.8 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thumbnails and a rough sketch of a new picture involving Pumpkin Jack.

Name:  Until-Next-Halloween-thumbn.jpg
Views: 2861
Size:  202.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd been wanting to give Jack more of a horror edge, so I'm experimenting with making his body look like a skeleton made out of sticks. Not a complete skeleton, just a few parts like a ribcage.

This was supposed to be a sort of experimental sketchdump, but I really liked the evil laugh pose and developed it further. So you've got naked Jack and clothed Jack ;p

Name:  Jack's-Skeletons.jpg
Views: 3124
Size:  84.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Birthday Card

One of my New Years resolutions was to try and draw my own birthday cards, thank you cards, etc. This one is for a friend of my Mum's. I just added my signature to it digitally to post it online.

Name:  Birthday-Card.jpg
Views: 4033
Size:  138.3 KB

Pen + Coloured pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Developed the previous sketch of Pumpkin Jack further.

Name:  Evil-Laugh.jpg
Views: 2766
Size:  73.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I did for fun after watching Hellfirecomm's commentary on Lucario and the Mystery of Mew. During the first part of the movie, NTom and The Helldragon wondered why hardly anybody on DeviantArt has drawn a Charizard wearing battle armour. I had a quick search myself and there are a couple of pictures, but not a lot. So I decided to contribute!

Name:  Armoured-Charizard.jpg
Views: 2997
Size:  91.8 KB

Name:  Armoured-Charizard-coloured.jpg
Views: 3627
Size:  181.3 KB

Granted, I'm not very good at designing armour. I've tried to make it look feasible, but the neck guard still looks a a big neckbrace. The idea is to not only protect Charizards' neck and throat, but also allow for movement. The parts sticking out at the back of the neck are for a rider to hold onto, because I think a Charizard would be used more for aerial assaults rather than fighting on the ground.

I used the Pokemon manga as a reference for the Charizard here, since they're much more badass than in the cartoon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My sketchbook has been taken over by mice!

I'm entering a contest by Corel where you have to choose one of Aesop's Fables (or anyone else who's written fables) and either create one illustration, a series of illustrations or an animation. I've chosen to do an illustration for Town Mouse and Country Mouse.

Name:  Mouse-Sketches-1.jpg
Views: 4232
Size:  106.6 KB
    Name:  Mouse-Sketches-2.jpg
Views: 4352
Size:  167.0 KB

At the beginning, I tried drawing a mouse without reference, but as I progressed, I felt they looked too much like rats. I went onto Google and found a good few images to draw from and get the body structure right. Then I moved on to giving the mice clothes to depict their social status. I went for a sort of farmer look for the Country Mouse, with a bunnet and a neckerchief. I was inspired by the way farmers were drawn in British comics from the 1940s.

Name:  Mouse-Sketches-3.jpg
Views: 2799
Size:  158.9 KB
    Name:  Mouse-Sketches-4.jpg
Views: 2577
Size:  176.8 KB

The winner of the contest gets a copy of Painter 11, but I'm not doing this with a view of winning. I want to be a bit more sociable in the art world by entering more contests and letting more people see my work.

Pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like your style ... your drawings are clean .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

9. The Following User Says Thank You to raminafshari For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Raminafshari: Thanks so much for stopping by

Name:  Country Mouse Home WIP.jpg
Views: 2476
Size:  143.1 KB

This is the work in progress of my entry for Corel's Fables competition. I chose to illustrate the interior of the Country Mouse's home, which is a small grass hillock. I imagined it to be like one big room with all the furniture and stuff arranged around it, and roots protruding from the walls.

I had to darken the contrast of the image so it could be seen properly. It looked pretty faint when I first scanned it into my computer.

I'm not really sure how I should proceed with this. I was thinking about copying it onto another sheet of paper, inking it then colouring in Photoshop, but what to use? Cel-shading? Paint? I'm not very good at painting fur :C Oy, so many possibilities....

If anybody has any critique to make, then please go ahead.

Pencil

turtlecracker is offline Just hatched, going for the water now. Oh no! Seagulls! D8 Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I adore that little picture frame hanging from the root by the fireplace. It's a really nice detail that I didn't spot at first.

You know what? My imagination began running amok when I saw the latest picture. I thought I had completely run out of creativity lately.

I think the room looks a bit empty, possibly because there's so much floor space that isn't used. I also think you could try to lower the ceiling, to make it seem cozier, but at the same time maybe bit too cramped for the Town Mouse.
    You could try to emphasize that they're in the country-side. You could do something like making the furniture look like they're made of things Country Mouse found or made out of things from nature, while still keeping that human-like feel you get with the tools, the fire and the little garlics hanging by the fireplace. His bed could be placed in a little dug out hole in the wall, and the same with the food shelves. The table could be made out of the bulge of a tree root sticking up out of the floor, or maybe a flat rock. It could even be a wooden bobbin taken from the nearby farm.

I think you should try painting, if only because it'll push you out of your comfort zone. (... am I a hypocrite for saying that to others when I'm afraid to do so myself? Possibly... ) When it comes to fur, remember that you don't have to paint every single strand of hair, but just enough texture that you get the appearance that they've got soft fur. Look at your references and try to figure out how you should go about using shade and highlights, and think of the mice as shapes, just like you would when you paint the table, or the bed.

If you can't catch a wave, then you're never gonna ride it.
    My sketchbook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to turtlecracker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for your critique and suggestions, Turtlecracker. I'll do more experimenting with the drawing based on what you've said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

To the Stars

A tribute to Brian Jacques, author of the Redwall series, who passed away after a heart attack on February 5th this year.

Name:  Brian-Jacques-Tribute.jpg
Views: 2424
Size:  443.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Re-do of the Country Mouse's home. I like this one a lot better
    Name:  Country Mouse Home WIP 2.jpg
Views: 2336
Size:  154.6 KB

I've been having a busy time recently. A couple of job interviews (didn't get the first job but was offered work experience that'll start in April), a whole lot of baking for the second interview and baking for a concert organised by my Dad's Rotary club! I'm beginning to smell like scones.

I haven't drawn in all the little roots and blades of grass because I'll just paint them in digitally. There's still not a lot going on on the floor, but it's not as derelict as the previous sketch at least. There's also now a stone wash basin, a window, a slate shelf and a food store.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Country Mouse's Home

Finally finished, my entry for Corel's Fables Competition.
    Name:  Country-Mouse's-Home.jpg
Views: 2760
Size:  459.9 KB

Town Mouse and Country Mouse share a meal in Country Mouses' home, which is the interior of a small hillock. Country Mouse is clearly enjoying his food, whereas Town Mouse is not impressed.

God, this was such a headache. I have the worst time management skills in the world. This could have been a lot better if I had put more time and effort into it. Even had to pull two all-nighters to try and finish it. Now, I'm going to have a very long nap.

Photoshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A card I made for Mother's Day.
    Name:  Mother's-Day-Card.jpg
Views: 2415
Size:  326.9 KB

Unfortunately, this was rushed too. My Mum likes the flower fairy series, so I drew a little bluebell fairy for her. I looked through Brian Froud's Good Faeries/Bad Faeries for inspiration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Trying to get back into the swing of things with some 30 second studies.
    Name:  30 second studies 1.jpg
Views: 2171
Size:  105.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since it was a gloriously sunny day today, I sat outside and drew a couple of daffodils in my moleskine. And I spelled it wrong on the sketch *facepalm*
    Name:  Daffodils.jpg
Views: 2180
Size:  70.7 KB

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Triss been a while - nice to see some sketches from life and they're well done too! Would be cool to see some more from you! Enjoyed the mouse character sketches too!

I'm seeing improvements - keep having fun!

Last edited by The7Artist7; May 4th, 2011 at 08:54 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The7Artist7: Thankee!

Heh, can you believe it? I went from unemployed schmuck to having two jobs at once! I'm now working full-time at a new arts and crafts centre, and I'm also working for my Dad (temporarily, but at least I'm earning money).

Here's another sunny day page. Studies of pansies using a faber castell brush pen, for the top sketches, anyway. Then I switched to a medium pen for the rest.
    Name:  Pansies.jpg
Views: 2134
Size:  335.5 KB

This is Ichabod Azrael from 2000AD. Taken from prog 1683, but there's a bit of a style clash going on. I wanted to use my style, but some of the strips' own style crept into my fingers. Oops
    Name:  Ichabod.jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  95.5 KB

Lastly, a quick Sai drawing of HAZARDouszilla's character, Cleaver (http://hazardouszilla.deviantart.com/). He's some form of weird, anthro bat, but here I couldn't be bothered including his wings. I just wanted to draw something fun.
    Name:  Cleaver-Quickie.jpg
Views: 2086
Size:  89.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the comment on my sketchbook. Good stuff here, like that skeleton study which looks pretty great. keep.it.uup!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to MrHuffer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MrHuffer: Likewise, thank you for visiting my sketchbook

Some sketches of Bitey of Brackenwood, done at work when the shop was quiet.
    Name:  Bitey-Sketches-3.jpg
Views: 2070
Size:  296.7 KB

A few "quickie" drawings, done in Sai. First one is Kom from A Monkey's Tale or Le Chateau de Singes, a little known French animated film from 1999.

In the movie, rebellious teenaged monkey Kom is fed up with the superstitious beliefs of his tree-top dwelling tribe and wants more from life. But when he falls from the trees and is discovered by another tribe of monkeys, he gets more than he bargained for!
    Name:  Kom.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  58.7 KB

Next is Marco from Shaman King. This is taken from volume 13 where Marco is comforting Lyserg. I actually had a bit of difficulty doing this since my fingers kept screaming 'No! The anatomy is wrong!' I really had to fight against everything I just learned about drawing human anatomy properly!
    Name:  Marco.jpg
Views: 1940
Size:  106.4 KB

Last one is Hotsuma from Tenchi in Tokyo. Copied from a screenshot. I love how Hotsuma looks, but it's too bad he's a knob.
    Name:  Hotsuma.jpg
Views: 1993
Size:  154.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some studies of different blades, randomly found on Google images.
    Name:  Sword-Studies-1.jpg
Views: 2204
Size:  230.4 KB

Sketches of the character Claude Maric from the Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion. He'll be Tiria's eventual love interest when I finally make my fan comic.
    I'm having a bit of bother drawing Claude's stubble without making it look like a scribbled or dotted mess It's the sort of look when a man hasn't shaved for one day, not the furry chin look.
    Name:  Claude-Face-Sketches.jpg
Views: 2246
Size:  441.0 KB

I've been practising drawing male and female bodyshapes, particularly that of Claude and Tiria. It's a bit weird that most of the characters in Oblivion have the same height and bodyshape.
    Name:  Claude-and-Tiria-Height-she.jpg
Views: 2357
Size:  530.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice with 1-point perspective.

Name:  Perspective-Practice-4.jpg
Views: 1855
Size:  181.9 KB

Name:  Perspective-Practice-5.jpg
Views: 1831
Size:  253.2 KB

I've been on holiday in Spain and I attempted some sketches of buildings and cafe scenes, but didn't get to finish them. I took a photo of them so I could try and finish them in my own time. This one has the most work done on it. I would've finished it, but my Dad was with me at the time and, after an hour of me sitting sketching, he demanded that we go and have lunch

Name:  Building.jpg
Views: 1695
Size:  251.7 KB
    Unfortunately, my sketchbook got a bit bent in the rucksack on the journey home :C

Last edited by Trisscar; July 8th, 2011 at 05:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More holiday doodlings featuring Claude and Tiria.

Name:  Claude-and-Tiria-Sketches-s.jpg
Views: 1840
Size:  483.4 KB
    The top right sketch of Claude is supposed to be swinging a glass mace, but I haven't done it very well. Also, glass armour is a tricky beast to draw. I had to finish off the armour when I returned home because I couldn't remember what it looked like

I know the sword Claude is holding isn't very good, but I was focusing more on the armour than anything.

And some Gargoyles fanart. Brooklyn!
    Name:  Brooklyn.jpg
Views: 2125
Size:  192.7 KB
    Sai.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanted to draw a different view of the Freak in his "straightjacket" attire. I've really neglected drawing him as of late. Must stop doing that. I'm also trying harder to highlight his form and muscle structure better rather than making him look flat.
    Name:  Nice View.jpg
Views: 1772
Size:  90.1 KB
    ...Ok, ok. I really just wanted to draw his butt =P
    Sketched in pencil and inked in Sai

Name:  Polar-Bear-Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 6376
Size:  318.9 KB
    Study of polar bears for a (hopefully) digital painting based on a scene from Phillip Pullman's Northern Lights.

Photoshop

All images were taken from Google.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketching for my Northern Lights piece. Iorek Byrnison, with the Google reference up in the corner.

Name:  Iorek-Byrnison.jpg
Views: 1777
Size:  134.3 KB

To be honest, I don't know if polar bears can wrinkle up their muzzles like that, but can I use the excuse of artistic license when I say that it just looks kinda cool?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure I really know what I'm doing when it comes to digital painting, but I've tried to just wing it here.

Name:  Iorek-Brynison-2.jpg
Views: 1584
Size:  151.7 KB

Critique would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A wedding anniversary card I made for my parents recently.
    Name:  Anniversary-Card.jpg
Views: 3730
Size:  426.7 KB

And a birthday card for my soon-to-be-sister-in-law. She and my brother have a pet tortoise, so I decided to put a pretty bow on him! I think he turned out a little creepy, though, rather than cute.
    Name:  Sheldon-Card.jpg
Views: 1817
Size:  349.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Country-Mouse's-Home-2.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  457.4 KB

I never was all that happy with the first painting, and when I was told about the AOI's Images 36 competition, I saw it as an opportunity to improve the old painting.

I'm a lot happier with this version, but unfortunately I had already sent it away as a contest entry when a friend on another website pointed out some depth and perspective mistakes. D'oh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Totally forgot to post this one...

Name:  Mouse-Study-1.jpg
Views: 1720
Size:  152.1 KB

I had done some practice with painting mice in Photoshop in preparation for improving the Town Mouse Country Mouse painting.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4