-Jamie

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jamie Romoser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Two Reactions

Thank you, OmertA

I'm currently on an employability training course where you can learn either film-making, photography, drama or glass-making, and during the final two weeks you get to do a work placement in the field that you'd really like to work in (that's if the tutors can manage to fix it up.) I recently got a call from one of my tutors telling me that I might be getting a work placement with Axis Productions, an animation company in Glasgow. They ask that I make up a showreel of my best work as well as give them my CV.

I'm both excited and absolutely terrified by this. Terrified because I don't know whether they'll like my artwork or not. Meep.

Name:  Work-Placement.jpg
Views: 3996
Size:  83.6 KB

I didn't want to go into lavish detail with this, I just wanted to make light of my enormous apprehension. For the pose on the left, I used a drawing from my buddy Zooni on DeviantArt as a reference. Please accept my apologies if I've done the link wrong: http://zooni.deviantart.com/art/Yay-...n-p3-111132844

Last edited by Trisscar; January 30th, 2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: forgot to thank previous comment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dr. Facilier

I went to see 'The Princess and The Frog' last Saturday and I've practically fallen in love with Dr. Facilier ever since.

Name:  Dr. Facilier.jpg
Views: 4676
Size:  56.8 KB

This one was sort of reference-less. I completely forgot about his cheekbones ^^' I was also trying to make it look as though he just appeared in a poof of smoke, but need to practice more with that....

Name:  ShadowMan.jpg
Views: 4073
Size:  46.9 KB

This was taken from a quick sketch I did in my notebook, although I chopped and changed it A LOT in Photoshop. There was just so many things wrong with it.

And now for a sketchdump. LOOK HOW F**KIN' HUGE HIS HANDS ARE!!
    Name:  Facilier Sketchdump 2.jpg
Views: 3930
Size:  248.5 KB

These were referenced from YouTube videos. This guy is so much fun to draw!

Oh aye, one last thing. Didn't get that placement. Boo. But at least they still wanted to see a showreel of my work, so it's not all bad, right?

The7Artist7 is online now I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa haven't been here for ages (your sketchbook) I thought I had subscribed ... in fact I'm certain I subscribed! Grrr why didn't I get updates? Ahh well hmph lol

Hey hey - nice to see you still drawin and posting (cool pics!) but lets see some more of 'your' art! - try some enviros and characters and studies from life - plenty of variety!

I'll try to drop by more often - keep up the good work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile

You actually subscribed for this crap?! Thank you!

Ok, I'll try to do less fanart and more original nonsense.

But not before I post these two!

Recently in my employability class, I'd been sketching Dr. Facilier in my notebook. One person came over to see what I was drawing, laughed and said 'Is that a leprechaun?' and then she proceeded to dance a small jig.

What. The. Smeg.

Name:  Not a Leprechaun.jpg
Views: 3895
Size:  57.2 KB
    Done in Sai.

And then the Freak stole all his clothes...

Name:  Freak Witchdoctor colour.jpg
Views: 3740
Size:  55.6 KB
    Drawn with ink and then coloured in Photoshop.

And now for something a bit more original. Ish.

I've been wanting to experiment with digital painting for some time now, after looking at the works of my buddies em-j-akahana (http://em-j-akahana.deviantart.com/) and veggie-burgerqueen (http://veggie-burgerqueen.deviantart.com/). So here's my first of possibly many attempts.

This was originally meant to be part of a sketchdump for the Freak, but then I decided to try and give it a painty-kinda-look. Wasn't sure whether to leave it looking painted or include the sketchy outline. The whole thing was done in Sai. And, as you can see, I'd been doing a bit of (somewhat disturbing) research into 3rd degree burns to try and improve on the burns on the Freaks' face. I think I'll keep experimenting with that, because the current design sort of makes him look like he's got slices of overcooked pizza on his face.

What d'ye reckon?

Name:  Comparison small.jpg
Views: 3722
Size:  52.8 KB

The7Artist7 is online now I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok that's weird - got an email update showing your latest post but there's nothing here! cue twilight zone music... O.O;

With post 95 I like the clean lines of the fist piece - the freak in Dr. Facilier's outfit is looking like you drew it with confidence - I'd still like to see you loosen up with your work more though. I think you're getting there

As for pizza-face ... ahem sorry i mean more-realistic-freak faces ... the black lines are waaay too strong (if they need to be there at all?) and it's kinda weird that his hair isn't following the width of the burn - it's receding more at the thinner end? also I'd reduce his neck width a little.

For me personally I'd like to see you practice making other characters and studying a bigger variety of things - this will in turn help you get the freak character down. Try doing enviro studies and face studies of people of all shapes and sizes - look at the body in motion etc ... of course I haven't seen your latest post so I do apologise if you're already doing this!

But keep at it and basically try as much different stuff as possible!

Last edited by The7Artist7; March 28th, 2010 at 06:18 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, about nothing showing up.... I had tried to submit my new stuff yesterday but for some reason the images wouldn't appear. Just their attachment details, which was pretty strange. So I deleted the post and decided to wait until later. For a horrible moment, I though it was ConceptArt's way of saying 'GTFO you talentless hack!!'

Another person on a different site thought the black lines on the Freaks' face were too strong as well. Looks like I need to do more research into burns. But it's so horrible!

Anyway, not exactly a whole bunch by way of updates. These were taken from 'Dynamic Figure Drawing' by Hogarth.

Name:  Heads 2.jpg
Views: 3736
Size:  119.5 KB

Name:  Torsos 2.jpg
Views: 3458
Size:  141.4 KB

I'm going to try and make weekly updates from now on. I figure I was a bit more confident with the Facilier Freak drawing because it was stupid and I was having a laugh with it.

Name:  Wolf 2.jpg
Views: 3377
Size:  46.6 KB

As for this, I felt like doing a doodle of myself in the style of Art Speigelman. I forgot I shouldn't have a tail if I'm wearing a mask, though. D'oh!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I said I would try and make weekly updates, but I haven't got a lot for this week :/

Remember that sketch of Tiria a few posts back? I've done some more sketches of her and tried to femme her up a bit, rather than have her looking like that shemale I first drew I've also included a couple of my screenshot references.

Name:  Tiria Sketches.jpg
Views: 3261
Size:  69.7 KB Name:  Tiria 1.jpg
Views: 3188
Size:  51.6 KB Name:  Tiria 2.jpg
Views: 3132
Size:  41.3 KB

Still need to work on it. She looks younger than she should be. I want her to look like she's in her late 20s/ early 30s.

I wish everyone a Happy Easter!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of Bridgman studies.

Name:  Body Studies 5.jpg
Views: 3067
Size:  57.2 KB

Name:  Body Studies 6.jpg
Views: 3026
Size:  51.2 KB

More sketches of Tiria in her iron armour.

Name:  Tiria Sketches 2 docusize.jpg
Views: 2987
Size:  69.1 KB

And a frustration scribble on Sai.

Name:  Head Bang.jpg
Views: 2942
Size:  39.7 KB

I'm trying to work on a digital painting and it's not working out very well. Anyone know 'Digital Painting for Dummies'?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Triss - this is great!! Studies and more characters ... I would comment on the anatomy/proportions of the Tiria sketches but I'd like to see how much you can work out yourself! try finding photos of a similar body-type lady from a magazine, film stills, teh internetz or whatever and compare - see if you can spot things to tweak and post your results Keep it up and also try doing photo studies or studies from life and push them as far as you can

Digital painting? draw draw draw - start simple and gradually push that further. What is it you're having difficulty with?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy

Ach, it's just trying to get to grips with it. I think painting characters digitally is my main problem. Like when I try to do shading, it ends up looking like mud has been smeared under the characters' chin and face.

I did do a little painting of a Pokemon to try and practice, but I don't think that would be a good thing to post here XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woops, late update ;p

Being doing some muscle structure sketches.

Name:  Muscle Structure 1.jpg
Views: 3053
Size:  233.3 KB

Name:  Muscle Structure 2.jpg
Views: 2969
Size:  295.8 KB

Going to be doing some more of these.

Now, as for these, would you believe me if I told you that these were actually done in late 2003/ early 2004? I can't remember the exact date I drew these because I had a very bad habit of not signing and dating my work when I was younger So now I've done it digitally.

Name:  Skeleton Hand.jpg
Views: 4858
Size:  132.7 KB

Name:  Hand Muscle Structure.jpg
Views: 3002
Size:  175.1 KB

This was part of a human anatomy project back in college, where we had to study Gray's Anatomy and choose to draw either the structure of a hand or a foot. I chose a hand, obviously.

I hadn't scanned it in before because it was pasted into a big A2 sketchbook. I'm currently doing some anatomy studies and I decided to look at this for inspiration. Then I decided to take its page out of the A2 sketchbook, scan it and submit it. I couldn't take the mounted drawings themselves out of the sketchbook for fear of tearing them, if you understand what I'm talking about.

I think these are actually two of the best drawings I've ever done, now that I look back at them. They also make me wonder 'What the hell happened?'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm trying to decide on the body shape for the Freak, using a torso from characterdesigns.com and an image of a leather trench coat as a reference.

Name:  The Freak torso 2.jpg
Views: 2868
Size:  124.6 KB Name:  burberry-prorsum-leather-trench-coat.jpg
Views: 3887
Size:  24.2 KB
    This is a burberry prorsum leather trench coat.

Some more torso sketches, again referenced from characterdesigns.com.
    Name:  Torsos 3.jpg
Views: 2741
Size:  77.7 KB

Name:  Torsos 4.jpg
Views: 2624
Size:  86.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some perspective practice, using 'Perspective Made Easy' by Ernest R Norling.

Name:  Perspective Practice 1.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  103.3 KB

Name:  Perspective Practice 2.jpg
Views: 2590
Size:  84.3 KB

Name:  Perspective Practice 3.jpg
Views: 2561
Size:  100.9 KB

Name:  Buildings in Perspective.jpg
Views: 2732
Size:  185.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I felt nostalgic when I heard about the release of Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver.

Name:  Totodile WIP.jpg
Views: 2542
Size:  202.5 KB

Name:  Totodile.jpg
Views: 2527
Size:  424.4 KB

Name:  The Flour Mill 2.jpg
Views: 2477
Size:  461.2 KB

This painting was a request from one of my Dad's friends at his Rotary club three years ago. He asked if I could do a painting of the ruins of an old flour mill beside his farm, so I visited the place to take some photos for reference and produced this six months later (not because I'm slow, but sometimes I just got frustrated with it.)

I've just recently uploaded it onto art sites I usually visit. I tried taking photos of it in the past, but I'm not a great photographer, so I forgot about it until recently. I scanned it into my computer in two parts and joined them together in Photoshop. You can see the line near the middle where the two halves join.

Name:  The Mill.jpg
Views: 2462
Size:  517.5 KB

The photo I used for reference. I left out the bunch of branches on the ground because I felt they were too difficult for me to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work Triss - you're progressing! With anatomy studies try to remember practice quick loose studies too that focus on shape rather than details. You're dudes are still quite feminine and Females still quite dude-ish :/ you're gettin there though keep at it!

Awesome! You're diving into perspective studies!

The Pokemon pic is cute but that last painting is pretty crazy! I hope they liked it as you've obviously put a ton of effort into that! My only crit really (you probably don't want to hear) is to pay attention to the lighting as it's looking a bit flat

Rock on!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to The7Artist7 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The7Artist7 View Post
    I hope they liked it as you've obviously put a ton of effort into that! My only crit really (you probably don't want to hear) is to pay attention to the lighting as it's looking a bit flat

Rock on!
    I DO want to hear crits! If I didn't, I would've stayed on Fanart Central and DeviantArt! That painting was done 3 years ago, but let that not be an excuse.

I shall do as you suggest and keep working on my figures

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem always do my best to give some constructive feedback when I drop by

I just thought of a photoshop challenge for you! Take the flour mill painting put it in photoshop and add a new layer above - use this layer to work on improving the lighting as best as you can! See how well you can do and have fun - work with quite large brushes and don't get too detailed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh crikey 0_o' But I shall accept your challenge! Um, no strict deadline though, please, because I've got a gig to illustrate a children's book coming up. I'm not sure when exactly because the woman in charge has yet to get it all sorted, but I'm still excited about it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't have much by way of updates this time. I've been suffering from a lack of drive recently.

Name:  Pizza Parlour WIP 1.jpg
Views: 2832
Size:  186.8 KB

This is a WIP of an art trade between me and a girl on Fanart Central. She asked me to draw a couple of characters eating in a pizza parlour. Doing the furniture in perspective is simple enough, but drawing the characters in perspective is going to be a bit tricky.

Name:  Screech Halt.jpg
Views: 2505
Size:  28.1 KB

A quick drawing of Bitey skidding to a halt after bouncing at top speed. Going to add an environment and colour it in later, plus redraw Bitey a little. It wasn't until some time after I submitted it that I realised the proportions are a bit skew-whiff.

Name:  Lexington.jpg
Views: 3316
Size:  42.6 KB

And lastly, another quick drawing. Lexington from Disney's 'Gargoyles.' I'm not overly pleased with his legs Drawn completely in Sai.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, someone is definitely on the right track here. Not too much to crit except from things The7Artist7 already mentioned: In the first stage of drawing you really should let loose and concentrate on major action and contour lines of tha figure rather than on drawing anatomically correct body parts. Same applies to 30sec drawings. You can't possibly draw the whole figure with correct anatomy in 30 secs so you should rather focus on drawing the whole figure than on anatomy. You can check my 30 sec stuff here to see what I mean.

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Novbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Novbert: Ok, I'll keep practising Thanks for linking me to your examples.

Name:  Pizza Parlour WIP 2.jpg
Views: 2406
Size:  112.3 KB

2nd WIP of the pizza parlour drawing, an art-trade with a girl on Fanart Central. Drawing characters in perspective is a bit tricky. I'm unsure of what to have showing through the windows.

Name:  Gene-Dog small.jpg
Views: 2216
Size:  80.5 KB Name:  Gene-Dog colour small.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  77.8 KB

This is the main character from my favourite "Kingdom" story in 2000AD, Gene the Hackman. He's supposed to be wearing a backpack and wielding a pair of blades, but I omitted them because I wanted to focus on his muscle structure.

Name:  Tiria.jpg
Views: 2177
Size:  130.4 KB

I'm not good at drawing rounded objects :C

Name:  Freaky Sith 2 copy.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  104.0 KB

This is more of a joke than anything, after so many Darth Maul comparisons A girl on DeviantArt thought I was inspired by Darth Vader when I did this, despite me clearly stating this was Darth Maul inspired -_-'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just one update before I go on holiday tomorrow.

Name:  Screech Halt colour.jpg
Views: 2126
Size:  281.2 KB

I repositioned Bitey's head because I felt as though it looked it wasn't attached to his shoulders in the previous sketch. Also moved his right arm down a bit.

I'm going to be on holiday from the 12th to the 26th. If I don't update for at least a month after that, I've either died or gotten stranded. I seriously hate flying and I'm not looking forward to having to endure two and a half hours of sheer terror. It was my Mum who booked this holiday, not me, and she's making me go. It's impossible to argue with a doctor.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you are still working at it, Trisscar.
    You're definitely improving, and you've gotten some very helpful advice already.
    If I'd emphasize anything I'd say : loosen up your sketches/line work.
    It gives a much more organic feel to your drawings, more playful, more pleasant to look at and *bonus track* it improves your line work considerably.

And when you move on to the finishing stage, you'll be cleaning up the lines anyway, so you will end up with crisp, clean drawings, that have underneath them a basis of playfulness and style.

You're on the right track.

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Holiday Sketches

Thanks, Harmageddon

I'm back from my holiday and still alive, despite having to endure irritating delays going to and from Majorca. I did some sketches while I was away, in my awesome little moleskine sketchbook I got for my birthday.

Name:  Boat small.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  75.6 KB Name:  Apartment small.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  L'Arca Lantern small.jpg
Views: 2056
Size:  74.7 KB Name:  Los Zarzales small.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  95.2 KB

All in mechanical pencil. I tried to do them quickly and not be so anal about small details.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much for the weekly updates plan!

This is a sketch of one of my favourite restaurants. About that thing on top of the cabinet... there are weird little pasta-shaped characters dotted here and there around the restaurant They're a bit silly, really.
    Name:  Tony Macaronis.jpg
Views: 2035
Size:  183.3 KB

A few quick sketches of people. I feel a bit uncomfortable doing these since I have to take a good look at people before drawing, and I'm afraid in case some kid screams 'MUMMY THAT WEIRD GIRL KEEPS STARING AT ME!!'

Name:  Life Studies 1.jpg
Views: 2022
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  Life Studies 2.jpg
Views: 1963
Size:  135.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches ..
    great studies .. specially your anatomy studies ..
    keep going up !!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to hunter_info For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's that pizza parlour drawing finished.

Name:  Pizza-Parlour.jpg
Views: 1979
Size:  282.5 KB

I've also had a small glut of requests recently on another site. One guy asked me to draw his character 'The Killer' locked away in a dungeon.

Name:  The Killer redo.jpg
Views: 1946
Size:  264.1 KB

A girl asked me to draw Tom Kaultiz of Tokio Hotel fame for her.

Name:  Tom-Kaulitz.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  107.3 KB

Also, just for shits and giggles, I joined a contest where you just had to draw any Pokemon you liked! I always thought Machamp was pretty badass with four arms. Two arms to hold you in place while the other two beat your face into raw hamburger meat. Unfortunately I buggered up the lower right arm, even though I tried to fix it in the coloured version.

Name:  Machamp black and white small.jpg
Views: 1947
Size:  141.6 KB Name:  Machamp small.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  110.7 KB

Lastly, a just for fun sketchdump of Freddie the Frog

Name:  Freddie Sketchdump.jpg
Views: 1889
Size:  229.0 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For some reason, this one wouldn't upload in the previous post. This is another request picture from a guy who asked me to draw himself giving Tom Kaulitz a hug.

Name:  Tom-and-Tomi-Finished.jpg
Views: 1519
Size:  136.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A couple of ten second studies.

Name:  10 second drawings 1.jpg
Views: 1838
Size:  286.4 KB

Name:  10 second drawings 2.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  260.7 KB

Studies of the female anatomy, taken from an article featured in the anatomy edition of ImagineFX magazine.

Name:  Female Studies 3.jpg
Views: 2368
Size:  133.2 KB

Some thumbnail sketches of a Halloween picture I'm planning: Pumpkin Jack in his pumpkin patch, holding up a flaming pumpkin head. I'd love to do a digital painting based on one of these.

Name:  Pumpkin Jack thumbnails.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  300.6 KB

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 4