Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast

Thread: 13th July

Thanks
    Thanked 5,872 Times in 3,976 Posts
    Cezanne laid the colour down pretty well in one stroke. Take a look at his unfinished stuff. He was once asked what he was paint in the blank areas and he said he was waiting for the right colour before putting it down, or something like that. Every stroke was deliberate and painstakingly thought out first and he was interested in the the way colour changes depending on what it was placed next to.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love how there was this stroke economy with post-impressionism (hope I referenced that right). Tim Shelbournes advice in the magazine tutorial was to 'concentrate on luscious colours, the expression of form, and making the shapes look good on the canvas,rather than slavishly describing each individual element'. I tried my best and I realize we are pretty lucky we can change colours and manipulate so easily on the computer rather than with a paints on a canvas.
    Now that I look back at it, I think I could have made more brighter colors, distorted perspective and maybe defined the edges in more places. It's funny how these things stand out after having a look back.

-----

24th -27th December

I didn't expect things to get behind a bit over Christmas but I was enjoying myself. There was a few related things recieved as gifts, there was a bird picture book from my parents and sketchbook pro. Sketchbook pro may just make things a bit too scattered or unorganised so even Painter and Photoshop together is probably enough. But The Andrew Zuckerman book on bird photographs gave an interesting look at the details of feathers and patterns.
    I was given some money, so blindly, I bought a book on Baroque and Rococo. I just look at the pictures.
    Over the Christmas period there was just a few sketches though.
    First I had a go at a bennu bird, a mythological bird similar to a phoenix and a herron but was worshipped by the ancient egyptians like a god.
    Just a sketch in painter for it. I wanted the image to look sort of gold,metallic and mystical. like the bird was rising and crumbling.
    The some sketches of frank woodley, Hamish blake studies, hehe. And some car sketches. The first car sketch Is of the existing corvette stingray concept. I sketched the hot wheels car for it and the second was the Volkswagen Kombi from imagination. Feels like I have enough control now. I was really trying to see the faults in other places so I tried my best to do controlled lines and shading. It feels good but I think the values are off key.

Marco Bussagli & Mattia Reiche 'Baroque & Rococo' Sterling Publishing, NY, 2007

Andrew Zuckerman 'Bird' Hachette Australia, 2009
    Last edited by seagulls; December 28th, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Needed to sleep before, hehe.

Thanks
    The heron is pretty stunning.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you Black Spot.

-----

28th - 31st December

I had a go at the digital artist magazine 'Impressionism' challenge.
    First try was not so great so I had another go with the green. It has been difficult to get harmony, unity, reflections and the look of natural light in the images.
    Apart from that, just being reading on the bus. Seems to be making people sitting next to me nervous... apologies.
    Monday there was a break, so these two images have taken just over two days in spare time.
    Just typing this for myself, but next update will be back to two days.

Digital artist magazine, Image publishing, issue 1, pg 24
    Laura Lombardi 'From Realism to Art Nouveau' Sterling Publishing, NY, 2007
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_history

Thanks
    -----

31st December - 1st January

Using the drawing kit/portfoilio from DrawRight.com for most of the traditional sketches and drawings,
    A 30min self portrait, abstract whilst watching transformers 2, a forgotten pre sketch of the bennu bird from the 28th.
    Rhino model of the seagull skeleton with basic joints. Render is in penguin (2d sketch/toon shader)-A plug-in for rhino, recieved also as a gift for Christmas.
    Upside down studies (180 rotated) . First was picasso s drawing of of the composer Igor Stravinsky. Second was of a horse and rider, the artist unknown.
    Two Blind wrinkle drawings of the hand.
    Posemaniacs and people on a dvd of 'The Chaser'.
    Andy lee studies from the Hamish and Andy website.
    A sketchbook pro test / photoshop paint of the camera I mostly take bird pictures with.
    Lastly a drawing/trace of my hand as it was resting underneath a plastic picture plane.

Pablo Picasso, "Portrait of Stravinsky," 1920, graphite. Private collection.

http://www.2dayfm.com.au/shows/hamishandandy/
    http://www.drawright.com/

Thanks
    Gosh, such a variety. Is this your NY resolution - to do more studies and things? Keep it up.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Heh, Nope, I just gotta do things. Things were going well.
    However, I made a resolution for last year. It was to start a sketchbook and keep it going, no matter what. After 3 months I wanted to start posting here but didn't feel ready till mid year. I have thought about stopping many times and It hasn't been easy. There have been benefits though... even if they are not necessarily better images.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2nd - 3rd January

For this update I noticed I'm still having a lot of trouble measuring spaces and control after following the 'vase faces' tutorial. Good grief.
    I still like to put names on things as I draw them, but when Betty Edwards explained in the dvd about not doing that, It now seems a lot clearer.

The hand drawing tutorial I found was a bit of fun to tone the paper with the graphite stick. But not quite as fun as the Kombi vans, hehe. I want to do a update or redesign of them now, but should wait.
    They were drawn from pictures on google. A couple I tried to rotate.

Against the odds I also made an oil painting of a 'ginger beer bottle on a cardboard box'.
    Classes I dont have till february so I went ahead and painted something in my bedroom. There was a lot of trouble finding the right color and blending. Its too expensive to buy every color under the sun with oil paints so, gotta mix a few to get something close.
    Last edited by seagulls; January 5th, 2010 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Sentence structure

Thanks

4th - 5th January

Mostly an update to the bike, but there was time for sketches whilst playing with settings and making test renders.
    The bike- Reduced the amount of white in the background map to 3/4 grey. Added a rectangular light, deleting the front fill light so the grey shaders stay the same.
    Better to change the lights than make the shaders darker.
    There is a few things bothering me though- The red skirting panel near the rear wheel and the connection for the handgrips to the bars.

First of the sketches underneath are of skateboarders from google images.
    Today I slowed things down a bit with some negative space drawings of things near the computer, and then a observational drawing of Chas Licciardello from 'The Chaser' team.
    Hope this Is ok, but I adjusted the levels once scanned in. To make the mid point darker.

Thanks

6th - 7th January

Drew some cars. Some are from reference and some from imagination. It was hard to start them straight from imagination yesterday...hmm, It may be that I need to warm up first.

The concept image at the bottom, started as a pencil drawing but later I thought it would be good to work it up in painter.
    So what happened was I followed a tutorial by mark randall and tried to adapt it.
    Need to allow more time to finish in future.

Mark Randall's tutorial

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    i've missed so much great stuff during my absence i'm glad to see so much work and improvement in here the cars look fantastic & the bike's amazing

i will be watching
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like the skateboarder sketches. Your shading is a lot better on them.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr poPcoRN For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @miycko
    Hey mate. Yeah, don't worry about missing stuff. It's all good. Thanks for stopping by.

@Black Spot
    It must be the bigger sheets of paper and confidence.
    Charles Bernard was talking about how things become more automatic if you push them for long enough, In the art trek videos.
    I was thinking, 'lets push them'.

@Dr poPcoRN
    Hey, thanks for stopping by Doctor.
    Still a fair bit to do with the bike before I start to like it as well.

8th - 9th January

When I finished work everything was looking good. But I went to the seagull drawing spot and it was crowded. So I decided to have a break for the rest of the friday. So no work got done then.
    But today I spent around 8 hours on a tonal painting of my some of my drawing stuff.
    The night was finished with a modelling study(?) of Christopher dresser's teapot.
    Christopher dresser is a very famous industrial designer I studied about 5 years ago as part of a product design course.

Christopher Dresser Wikipaedia

Page 13 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... LastLast