Art: Maquette question

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Maquette question

Hi guys can anyone describe the process of building a good maquette? for example what is the best wire to use how to start? Just begining to end how to build a good maquette. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cmon guys! anyone??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know how much this will help you because it will cost you some money. Check out the Gnomon workshop. They actually have 2 DVD movies which are great!

The first is on how to build a steady armature and the second is the actual sculpting. I think the website is www.thegnomonworkshop.com. If not, search Google.

Hope this helps you out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude Mad did you check out those links I sent you? Yes I know some are slow to load.. but its all there.. the how to's... and plenty of links.. to get started...

here is the link to starting.. shows you tools, wire work, etc.

http://home.houston.rr.com/dpstudios.../sculpting.htm

link to his site.. lots of info!

http://www.iespana.es/alterton/Perez/perez.htm

One of doing a bust... same technique as a maquette. It only has photos but its pretty self explanitory.

http://www.iespana.es/alterton/Canale/3.htm

another step by step photo

http://www.goregoregore.com/steps/stepbstep1.jpg

Doing a body Armiture step by step.. pictures are clickable.

http://www.iespana.es/alterton/Needham/2bit.htm

Links to more tuts.

http://www.iespana.es/sculptorscorner/tutorials.htm

good luck,

mike

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Jester, I was just about to post a new thread when I saw this. I've been wanting to move ahead with some sculpting and those links are a good start, thanks!

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the links, these are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When i used to work in sculpey, i guess i might again, i would take a thick wire that takes a lot of effort to bend and make the torso, legs and head in stick figure. then take a thinner wire that bends easier and due more details and strengthen the shit out of it. You gotta make sure you can beat that thing on the head and it wont move. Otherwise your gonna get cracks in the sculpey before, and worst of all, after you cook it. Im sure standard clay is the same way. The legs and/or base is the most important. Anywhere theres a joint needs to be strong enough that you can only move it with pliers. When your wrapping that wire up you gotta be using pliers or needlenose pliers in both hands and pull it as tight as you can. If you get loose spots you can twist it up like your grabin a screw. Sometimes i would take giant bolts and wrap that through the joints and into the base and wherever you can move it. I hate maquettes. Im not into wire sculpture so I switched to casteline. You dont gotta do no frickin maquettes. Its hard wax so it holds it pose. You can heat your tools to get smoother carves too. Heat it in the microwave to make it mushy. You can buy bricks on www.sculpt.com. Thats what the sickos at McFarlane toys use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Isn't Castilene used for bronze sculptures and such ? I still have a lump of is lying around somewhere...

Personally, I've worked with a couple of simple coat hangers. Best ones are the cheap metal ones that drycleaners have or that you can find in dollar stores. Plyers ARE indeed useful. You might need a drill to go trough the wood base. I've also used thin aluminum bars. I .. recycled them so no idea where it originates from but it made a great sturdy frame for a lifesize sculture I did.
    Sometimes you can use chickenwire to do more filling as well as aluminum foil.

By the way, NEVER use metal in your sculptures if you're planning on cooking your stuff in very high temperatures unless you're with someone experimented.

kaboom !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea, thats the downside to casteline, you have to cast in resin or bronze or something if you want to paint it/ finish it. Im amazed you got a coat hanger to work for a lifesize sculpt. Was that just regular clay? Ive only used that stuff like twice for heads or something like that. Sounds fun though if you dont gotta spend tons of time on maquetting.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a lifesize head I mean and in gray clay. Spending loads of time on your frame will make the sculpting process even more enjoyable. Sure you might actually spend more time bending and twisting metal but at least you're certain you won't run into stupid proportion errors..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    id rather cut and bend clay, but thats just because me and wire get in fights all the time. one time i had a descent maquette and it made me mad cuz it looked at me funny so i beat it in the head with a hammer to shape it and it broke at the base. ): then i had to redo it. now its covered in sculpey sitting in a plastic bag waiting for me to get mad at casteline. (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a casting place about a 10 minutes walk from where I live.. and they give away casteline in blocks for free.. I tried it out... but I am a clay kinda guy.. I wanna try sculpey though... Im glad you guys liked the links... I really wish the pors that visit this site who sculpt would do a tutorial or give us some input...

The one tutorial about making textures.. comes in real handy.. but if you are cheap.. go buy some different grades of sand papers.. get some stones and break them... find different peices of cloth materials.. and use those for textures too.. *come in real handy*

also those rubber tipped things that look like brushes.. INVALUABLE!! they come in so handy! A MUST!!!

anyhow.. peace...
    -mike

-Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.